Start by marking “The Time Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Time Keeper

The Time Keeper

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  71,547 Ratings  ·  7,998 Reviews
In this fable, the first man on earth to count the hours becomes Father Time.

The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, with his soul nearly broken, Father Time is granted his fre
Published October 1st 2012 by Sphere (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Keeper, please sign up.

Alissa Brown It is not inappropriate, but the context may be a bit much for that age group.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alaska Young no that was the cave he was in and they were running up the hill cause that was what Dor drefw on the wall

Lydia Presley
The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom has been on my excitement list for a while now. Such a great cover, an author I really enjoy, and a story about Father Time - how could I not be excited!

What I expected and what I got were two different things, however. Instead of getting an interesting, complex story about a fantastical creature, I got instead chopped bits of a story, tossed together like a bit of a human salad, and mixed all up.

This story is part Dor, part Victor, and part Sarah, but does not sp
Betty
Aug 11, 2012 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review-copy
Albom's fingers on the keyboard turn out golden prose, whether a column or a book. The Time Keeper is like a combination of precious metal. The story opens with Dor who lives four thousand years ago.

(Edited to add that a person named Sidney who has a private profile complained in a comment 9 months after I wrote this review that I should warn there are spoilers. I don't think this review does, but you can stop reading now if you wish).

back to the review... Albom's explanation of Dor's thought
Stephanie
Oh, Dor…..Dor……Dor. You silly man. What possessed you to measure time? You screwed things up for the rest of us. Now we have to BE places at certain times and DO things until the time comes when we are allowed to go home. Why did you do this to humanity? Someone should imprison you in a cave for 6000 years and make you think about what you did, and not let you out until you are truly sorry.

Wait….that is what happened.

Dor was a curious man who lived 6000 years in the past. He wanted to measure th
Tanya
Oct 16, 2012 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
In the beginning, I kept falling asleep while reading this book. By the time Dor was compelled to action for his two souls, I was able to push through to the conclusion of the book. I found it satisfying as it reinforces the importance of being in the moment and being grateful for those moments, whether they are good or bad. It reinforces the value of being interdependent with those we love and care about, that we need to be open and honest and fully present for them.

I recommend this to others,
Laurel
If I were to rate this book, I'd probably give it 2 stars. I feel bad doing that, though, so I'm just leaving it blank. It's not that it's a bad book. It's a nice little fable and has good intentions. Many will no doubt find it comforting and life-affirming. I just found it all a bit too obvious for my taste. Perhaps I'm just not one who feels I need a fable to remind me how precious our time on earth is, or how important it is to try to live in the moment. I'm all too aware of it every day.

Liz
Sep 08, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worth-re-reading
“Knowing something and understanding it were not the same thing.”

A short story before the review.
You know, I have a friend. A very precious one. One, who knows many parts of me better than any other person.
She, more than anyone else, knows how obsessed I am with time. Always was. I am always in time, always counting time and paying attention to it. It can be quite annoying.
She gave me the book and told me to read it, or better ordered me to read it. This friend knew what this book would d
Daniel Kite
For a man so seemingly pre-occupied with how little time we have on Earth and how we tend not to appreciate this amount of time, Albom ironically spends almost no time at all delving into the interiority of his characters beyond the clichéd. Dor is an interesting character on paper, but so little is put into why he has this desire to measure time. The familial and social struggles of Sarah and the devastating childhood of Victor are largely parsed over, so much so that there is little reader inv ...more
Dianne Joy
That one word that made me lose it and just cry - page 220, last line, last word - "Grace."

Mitch Albom has a way of capturing hearts with every word he writes and how he writes them. This book is not quite like the other books Albom has earlier written, but it is no less good. It is just as great as his earlier works, and I'm currently deciding if maybe, for me, this has been one of his better works.

The Time Keeper is a light read. But it was still full of lessons like a typical Mitch Albom boo
Mrs. Kenyon
Aug 21, 2012 Mrs. Kenyon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
Father Time was once a living man. His name was Dor and he was the first human to measure time. He lived 6,000 years ago when life and time were simpler. After a tragic illness took his wife, Dor wanted to reach the heavens and demand more time. The result of this action was the fall of the Tower of Babel and him being placed in a cave where he had to listen to any mention of time. Sarah is a girl in modern day New York. She wants time to speed up so that she can be with the boy who is showing i ...more
Rosemary Eifler
Apr 04, 2016 Rosemary Eifler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The feel good text of Albom can come across to the reader as a bit light, but I love his sweet nature as a writer. I loved The Five People You Meet in Heaven. If you also loved this book then The Timekeeper might also be for you. The ending is a bit sappy but the heart is there.
We begin the story with Dor. I enjoyed reading about his interest in recording the passing of time. The concept that there were people and civilizations existing before the creation of time is like an interesting fable,
Dale Harcombe
This is an entertaining little fable about time and how some people never have enough of it while others wish it would slow down. Dor is one who measures time and ends up in the role of Father Time. The other two main characters are Victor who has cancer and who is running out of time and Sarah who initially wants time to hurry up. Later events cause her to change her mind.
Though it was entertaining and a quick read, this Mitch Albom story didn’t quite involve me the way a couple of his other b
Lori Henrich
Jan 04, 2015 Lori Henrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book with great anticipation looking forward to turning each page. When I started reading I was frustrated with the style the author chose. I liked his other fiction stories and was expecting to find the same style amongst the pages. Then I found a totally different style and was disappointed. But I decided to keep going and this story is so worth the effort.

The story follows Dor, Victor and Sarah. Dor lived during the early Bible times during the time of the tower of Babel bein
thewanderingjew
Aug 14, 2012 thewanderingjew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this advanced copy of Albom’s latest book, he once again takes a simple theme, something we all think about, and he creates an inspirational, extremely creative avenue to explore it. The book is about time and how it affects our lives from moment to moment. We are all, each and every one of us, preoccupied with its measurement. What would life be like without the constraints of time? The book encourages us to think about how simple life would be if we were just enjoying the moment we were in, ...more
Britany
3 Lives collide in this tale about Father Time and how time affects all of our lives. Some want it to progress faster, and others want time to slow down. Many take time for granted and don't appreciate the chance that we all have to take a moment and savor these memories.

Dor's life is the main story, as his starts in the times of Babel and ends in present day. He created time and then time stole his life from him. He has a chance for freedom and has to save two lives...

Sarah Lemon, an insecure t
Abbey
May 12, 2013 Abbey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dor: There is a reason why God limits our days.
Viktor: Why?
Dor: To make each one precious.

Another wonderful and inspiring story from Mitch Albom :)
Helensvale Library
Oct 17, 2013 Helensvale Library rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kate, dani
It's Mitch album surely it's good as his other books have been enjoyable. Expecting a great storyline with a depth of meaning and philosophy I found myself becoming increasingly agitated and depressed. Father time starts out as a young curious boy who invents how to read time and marries the love of his life only to have major life changes and ends up in a cave having to listen to people constantly ask for more time in is head. Then we follow a couple of other character storylines.....a young gi ...more
Lisa
Apr 28, 2013 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly think this is the worst book I've ever read. I liked Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven, but I think it's safe to say Mitch Albom has officially run out of steam. The Time Keeper is supposed to be a story about a lovelorn teenage girl, and an old man who wants to cryogenically freeze himself, who are about to have their perspectives on life changed by, you guessed it, a transplanted prehistoric caveman (who for some reason speaks perfect English). Albom fills ...more
Kimberley doruyter
the ending was beautiful, but thats it.
Orsolya
Oct 26, 2012 Orsolya rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, other
The first time I read a Mitch Albom book was in my “Sociology of Death and Dying” course during my university days. The above titled course naturally suggests that we read “Tuesdays with Morrie”. Ironically enough, Albom’s latest novel, “The Time Keeper” would have easily blended into the lesson plans of my other elective, “Myths, Symbols, and Rituals” due to the fact that it is a true example of a ‘creation myth’.

If you are expecting a standard, fictional novel, then expect “The Time Keeper” t
Učitaj se!
Feb 25, 2016 Učitaj se! rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
'Čuvara vremena' mogli bismo nazvati svojevrsnom modernom poučnom bajkom.

Ova kratka knjižica govori o Doru, prvom čovjeku koji je naučio kako mjeriti vrijeme i pratiti tok vremena - 'izumitelju' vremena, recimo to tako, onome koga obično poznajemo pod nazivom Otac Vrijeme.

Dor je živio u vrijeme kada se, prema biblijskoj priči, gradila kula babilonska, a njen je graditelj bio Dorov prijatelj iz djetinjstva, Nim. Dvojica dječaka koja su zajedno odrasla posvetila su se posve drugačijim životnim put
Yassin Omar يس
I liked the idea and the first chapters about Dor ad Alli, then I got somewhat bored afterwards and until the end!
“With endless time, nothing is special. With no loss or sacrifice, we can’t appreciate what we have”
Gail Matelson
Jul 20, 2016 Gail Matelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The more I read, the more I loved it

This unusual book is for deep-thinkers. He takes the 'simple' concept of time, and relates it to a few characters, who represent the bulk of society. He jumps back and forth in time, and between alternating scenarios. However, he does this effectively by using very short excerpts with 'bolded' sentence headings.
The author is examining the myth of 'Father Time' and the reality of 'actual' time.
My favorite saying is: Wear death on your shoulder as a friend, and
~~Poulomi Sylphrena Tonk$~~
3.5 compelling stars.

Picking things from the very grass root level, this book “The Time Keeper” tells you a story about time. The founders of time, the birth of time, all about time. And about how once it laid its hold on mankind, everything changed.
To judge this book from my point of view would be different from many. Low acquaintance with subjects like philosophy, and no idea what-so-ever on the myths about time (Yes, no idea about the Tower of Babel even, sorry) are some predominant factor
Salymar
Aug 08, 2013 Salymar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read, ebooks
A two-day vacation deserves a novel to be read, so I read Mitch Albom's The Time Keeper. The story is about a man who was disciplined (I might as well use the word "penalize" lol) for measuring one of God’s greatest gift: TIME. His punishment is to teach two seemingly random people the true meaning of time. The first person is a teenage girl who wants to give up on life, and the other is a wealthy businessman who wants to live forever.

The story was able to get its message across; that TIME is pr
Nazifa
Aug 23, 2015 Nazifa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Average reading span for me is 2 days guys. It's freaking slow as a snail...

Anyways... This book definitely deserves a good 5 stars from me. It really opened up my mind a lil bit of how I see things now. Time is precious, time is gold. We often saw people wasting their time; claiming it was nothing but just to pass time. Yes TIME. How many words can be used to be in a sentence with time? Many; but truthfully we know nothing bout time. Nothing compared to what we've claimed before.

"Man alone me
Harun Harahap
Dec 17, 2012 Harun Harahap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini tentang WAKTU.

Terkadang manusia ingin WAKTU berjalan lambat.
Manusia tidak ingin berhenti ketika semua belum terselesaikan.
Manusia takut WAKTU menghilang. Manusia bersedih karenanya.
Manusia ingat apa yang hilang. Manusia lupa yang dimiliki.
Manusia takut kehabisan WAKTU.

Terkadang manusia ingin WAKTU berjalan cepat.
Manusia ingin menyelesaikan semua secepatnya.
Manusia takut WAKTU menghilang. Manusia bersedih karenanya.
Manusia ingat apa yang hilang. Manusia lupa yang dimiliki.
Manusia takut
Kaitlin
Jan 17, 2013 Kaitlin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A waste of a cool idea, and the description is inaccurate. This is bad YA Christian fiction with insufferable characters. It's a 200-page (if you include the 100 white pages) preachy cliche. Tons of references to God's will and God's gifts. The first man to measure time is a "sinner" because...he measured time. Yes, mankind was much better off 6,000 years ago before everyone started thinking and inventing and whatnot.

Other characters include - Victor, the rich finance type who shouts things like
Neil
Jun 06, 2016 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting concept for a book, time and man's obsession with it. There are three main characters, and the story gets told from their different perspectives. There is Dor, who as the first person to measure time is banished to a sealed cave, where he becomes Father Time. Another is a teenage girl, who has to face the challenges and humiliation caused by being judged to be different to her peers. Finally there is an old man, an entrepreneur, who is dying but wants to cheat death, and extend hi ...more
Yvonne
brthetimekeeper
Finished reading: October 7th 2015
Rating 4qqq

“With endless time, nothing is special. With no loss or sacrifice, we can’t appreciate what we have.”

(view spoiler)
Omar Alhashimi
Mar 25, 2015 Omar Alhashimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*SPOILERS*

You have been warned. Okay to sum up my experience with this book briefly i would say the first 100 pages are a 2/5, from 100 till 150 its a 4/5 and the last 70 pages are 5/5 or 10/10 even. That was my experience.

The first 100 pages were so boring to be honest. I know it is important to give background on characters like Sarah and Victor, but their parts (especially Sarah's) were so boring to read. Not only that but we have such an interesting character as Dor doing nothing in the beg
Madison Mega-Mara...: #7 The Time Keeper 1 3 Jan 26, 2016 07:31PM
Did anyone find the names a little bit..odd? 20 288 Jan 03, 2015 06:43PM
  • Totto-chan's Children: A Goodwill Journey to the Children of the World  (Anak-Anak Totto-chan: Perjalanan Kemanusiaan untuk Anak-Anak Dunia)
  • Saga no Gabai Bachan (Nenek Hebat dari Saga)
  • A Winter Dream
  • Letters to Sam: A Grandfather's Lessons on Love, Loss, and the Gifts of Life
  • Tango
  • Melbourne: Rewind
  • Pintu Harmonika
  • Morrie: In His Own Words
  • Para Kay B (o kung paano dinevastate ng pag-ibig ang 4 out of 5 sa atin)
  • The Gift Giver: A True Story
  • Macarthur
  • Fatima's Good Fortune: A Novel
  • When Bad Things Happen to Good People
  • Blue Romance
  • Bliss (The Bliss Bakery, #1)
  • The Best of Chico, Delamar, and Gino's The Morning Rush Top 10, Book 2
  • El Filibusterismo
  • Chicken Soup for the Cancer Survivor's Soul: 101 Healing Stories about Those Who Have Survived Cancer
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.
More about Mitch Albom...

“Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can’t. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car. You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. an alone measures time. Man alone chimes the hour. And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out.” 1262 likes
“It is never too late or too soon. It is when it is supposed to be.” 605 likes