Start by marking “The Demon Notebook (The Demon Notebook #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demon Notebook (The Demon Notebook #1)

The Demon Notebook (The Demon Notebook #1)

Grace and her four best friends, Jenny, Rachel, Adie and Una, are failed witches – and they have a notebook full of useless spells to prove it. But one night, they stumble upon real magical powers – and their notebook takes on a diabolical life of its own.
The girls watch, helpless, as, one by one, their spells start to work, moving relentlessly towards the worst one of all
Published September 1st 2012 by O'Brien Press

Kim Hampton
May 06, 2015 Kim Hampton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a series. I actually read the second book before this one, but it still made sense! These are actually classified as "tween/teen" books, but I really enjoyed them. If you like magic and spells and things that go bump in the night, you will love them!
Dianne
How do you whet the reading appetite of a middle grade student? Give them fantasy, adventure and fun, like the kind that just oozes out of The Demon Notebook by Erika McGann. Five young girls are determined to learn to perform witchcraft, after repeated failures with their spells, they turn to the mystery of the Ouija board and the magic begins! Their carefully documented spell failures become the playground for the dark magic of the Ouija board. Why did they try to cast that one spell? If the e ...more
Jabiz Raisdana
Mar 03, 2015 Jabiz Raisdana rated it liked it
Shelves: fun, scary, comfort, demon, easy
I can see why my 8 year old loves this. High action, fun, middle school kids doing silly immature things, magic, crushes, flying and demons. Not great for middle school kids, but I owed it to my daughter to read. She insisted that I read it. Now we have a lot to talk about.

Do you read books with your parents? Like read the same book? You should. Will give you a lot to talk about. Take a favorite book and insist your parents read it then spend some time discussing it with each other. Makes for g
Susana

For Sale on June 2014

Arc kindly provided by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky through Netgalley

Directed to young middle graders, The Demon Notebook is an engaging read, full of thrills and adventurous moments, sure to grab its intended audience.

The writing is direct and to the point, and the pacing is crisp enough to never let sleep get in the way of the reading.

The only thing to point out is that there really isn't a demon notebook in the story.

The girls have a notebook in which they've writte
Suz
Apr 17, 2014 Suz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
We've all heard the saying, "Be careful what you wish for." Five friends learn that the lesson the hard way in this story of magic and middle school. Grace, Una, Rachel, Jenny and Adie decide to form a coven and try out some spells. They keep a record of all the spells in a notebook, even though they never work. Then, one night, everything changes. Suddenly there is a demon loose in their school, Una goes from mischievous to prim and proper, the cutest boy suddenly has a crush on Grace, and the ...more
Margaret Madden
Review by Mia age 10

Mia's review of The Demon Notebook

Grace and her four friends want to be witches, but it turns out to be harder than they thought! After a session with a Ouija Board, strange things start to happen and the girls lives are about to change.

This book is definitely in my top three reads of all time. The story is full of mystery and magic. The five friends are in secondary school and often get picked on by the school bully, Tracy Murphy, and want to get even. Unfortunately, things
Sofia Fitzpatrick
Jul 21, 2016 Sofia Fitzpatrick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Awesome book, I am on the third but this one is still my favourite. It's full of exciting twists and turns wherever you go. It keeps you on edge till the very last page. When you're done you're like: 'I so wanna read the second!' It's one of the rare types of books that you're sad to finish.
Angie
Dec 21, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Young adult books are refreshing on occasion and I enjoyed this one. Will continue the series.
Beril
Nov 23, 2016 Beril rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016-yabancı
küçükken okuduğum kitapların cadılı versiyonu olmuş bu.
Ava M
Oct 31, 2016 Ava M rated it really liked it
The Demon Notebook by Erika Mcgann is about five girls. Grace, Una, Adie, Rachel, and Jenny are struggling with school and doing spells. None of their spells work no matter how hard they try. If anything could get any worse they have to fight off a bully who is hurting their friend. But when something bad happens they are going to need help from people who they didn't even care about at all. The conflict in this book is character vs character because the bully is fighting with Una so the girls ...more
Jennifer Boyce
Apr 26, 2014 Jennifer Boyce rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-ya, netgalley
The Demon Notebook is a cute story for young readers about a group of friends who stumble upon a book of spells. They are disappointed to discover that none of the spells seem to work, that is until they contact spirits, one of the girls becomes possessed, and all of the spells they had previously tried start to work. Will the girls be able to rescue their friend from possession and stop the spells before someone gets hurt?

The plot of this story is relatively fast paced, but not so fast that you
Andrea
Jun 30, 2016 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction
With the creepy-looking cover and a name like "The Demon Notebook," I was expecting something at least a little spooky. This is more of a fantasy novel crossed with a cautionary fable, and not a particularly original or good one, either.

The characters are uniformly paper-thin. The girls are all completely interchangeable and barely fleshed out at all as characters; one is a scaredy-cat, one is athletic, one has good hair, and one likes makeup, and I couldn't tell you which was which to save my l
Danielle (is feeling overwhelmed)
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

THE DEMON NOTEBOOK is an entertaining book full of thrills, spills and lots of witchey goodness sure to delight any fan of middle-grade fiction!

Grace, Una, Adie, Rachel and Jenny are firm friends and have been dabbling (and failing) in magic for months with no success. Writing spells in their favourite notebook, the girls are on the brink of giving up when Rachel encourages the girls to try a Ouija board and the five are shocked to unearth ma
Candy
Oct 16, 2014 Candy rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-books
The Demon Notebook
Erika McGann
Supernatural

Review: This book is definitely written for a younger age group so it was hard to relate to. Five girls want to be witches and have performed many failed attempts at spells. Until one night they decide to use an Ouija board at the school during a career night. Unfortunately for the girls they do it on a demon well and now they must do all they can for their demon possessed friend and stopped their failed attempts at casting spells from being fulfilled.
I
Carrie Ardoin
Usually I like it when books launch right into the action, but in this case it made for a very confusing beginning.

First of all, there are five girls who are best friends in this book. This seems a lot of main characters for a middle grade novel, but the most frustrating thing about it is that no one girl emerges as the leader, and as a matter of fact they all just blended together for me. No individual girl shows any personality, and we don't even get descriptions or even their likes or dislik
Toni
Jul 05, 2014 Toni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s so refreshing to indulge in a magical middle grade story every now and then, and The Demon Notebook does not disappoint. It’s such a fun and spooky read! A close-knit group of pre-teen girls dabbles in magic, trying out a variety of spells that refuse to work for them. They document all of their failed spells in a notebook, and move on to the next. That is, until they’ve had a big enough taste of failure and decide to use a Ouija Board. Their spells begin to work, but they quickly learn ...more
Ellen
Oct 26, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it
My daughter received this book in her LitCube Junior and asked that I read it first to make sure it wasn't too scary-- the cover of hers is a little different than the Goodreads one. I did-- it wasn't long. The chapters were short and I admittedly skimmed some of it. It was scary-- I promise! Overall, a good read. Too many characters and I had a hard time keeping track of all of the little girls. It wasn't bad and I'd recommend it to a middle school reader looking for something "spooky" at ...more
Deirdre
Oct 11, 2012 Deirdre rated it liked it
Shelves: fromlibrary, children
Five friends in school are dabbling in magic and spells and they do want it to work until an experiment with an Ouija board goes horribly wrong, one of them is posessed and the other four have to work at helping their friend and stopping the last spell in the notebook from coming true.

It was a laugh, some very funny characters and the situations were often hilarious. Features good witches as well as demons, and good witches who are cranky, and I loved her to bits.
Alex
Aug 14, 2014 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing scares me more than demons and possession, but this book somehow made that subject cute.

This was incorrectly shelved in the YA section at my library, but I realized it was for a much younger crowd the second I started reading. I went ahead and finished it anyway, and it was cute. It was hard to get into the story because it was so simple, however, and the characters were all interchangeable. It was an easy way to pass the time, though.
Yvonne
Received as an October Book Crate from Lit-Cube. A group of middle school kids accidentally open a portal for a pesky demon to enter their school and wreak unspeakable havoc as it works its way through their wish list of magic they thought would be fun to perform until they see their misdeeds in action. They eventually find help in some unlikely allies but it does take several attempts.
Jackie Cole
Aug 07, 2015 Jackie Cole rated it really liked it
As an adult reading this it was rather slow and obvious.

That being said, when I was in the fifth or six grade, this book would have been an amazing read. I am definitely shuffling this one off to my 12 year old daughter.
Senator
Aug 12, 2014 Senator rated it really liked it
This book was a surprise and a half! A charming read more about friends with some spook thrown in, "The Demon Notebook" will worm its way into the hearts of readers given the chance.

Thank you to Sourcebooks & NetGalley for an e-copy in exchange for honest bookseller/ review purposes.
J.S. Meresmaa
Sep 28, 2015 J.S. Meresmaa rated it liked it
Action-packed story that has plenty of scary bits!

I especially liked how the main characters (5 girls) and their friendship were portrayed. Snarky Mrs Quinlan was also a funny character.

Looking forward to reading the next book!
Holli
Oct 23, 2014 Holli rated it liked it
it was good but needed fleshed out. eye am way to old for the book. I am sure the intended age group will love it. appropriately scary for that age. will read next book.
Dana
Jun 30, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This reminded me of all those cheesy teen shows that I LOVE (Buffy, Charmed, etc.) Fun and magical with a sense of humor and a "demon well" (Hell Mouth?)
Fatima
Jan 09, 2016 Fatima rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very interesting because it was about how five best friends that learn how to use magic and read the demon notebook.
Ms. Dana
Jun 11, 2015 Ms. Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
This reminded me of all those cheesy teen shows that I LOVE (Buffy, Charmed, etc.) Fun and magical with a sense of humor and a "demon well".
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Justin
Justin rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Awakening (The Twins Of Saranthium, #1)
  • Strange Luck (Strange Luck #1)
  • Graham the Gargoyle #1: Graham's Grief
  • Thursday Morning Breakfast (and Murder) Club
  • The Unicorn Thief (Unicorns of the Mist, #2)
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • Connor
  • We Are Savages
  • Break My Bones (The Wish Makers, #2)
  • Elements
  • Loving Lily Lavender (Lavender, #1)
  • Fire Prophet (Son of Angels, #2)
  • Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past
  • Voodoo Butterfly (Voodoo Butterfly, #1)
  • The Show  (Northwest Passage, #3)
  • With Zombies (Assured Destruction #3)
  • Gustav Gloom and the Nightmare Vault (Gustav Gloom, #2)
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
Erika McGann grew up in Drogheda and now lives in Dublin. She has a respectable job, very normal friends and rarely dabbles in witchcraft. She loves writing stories that are autobiographical. Sort of.
More about Erika McGann...

The Demon Notebook (4 books)
  • The Broken Spell (The Demon Notebook, #2)
  • The Watching Wood (The Demon Notebook #3)
  • The Midnight Carnival (The Demon Notebook #4)