Start by marking “The Door in the Sky” as Want to Read:
The Door in the Sky

The Door in the Sky

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  26 reviews
It all started with a stolen magic spell. Throw in a powerful sorceress, a teen alchemist in desperate need of a haircut, a fearless king in love with a hot-tempered witch, a demonic shadow with a penchant for turning to mist, a cunning cellar sprite, and an army of invisible knights - all looking for a pair of bickering Earthlings...

"Come back here at midnight, Ricky"

Published August 7th 2012 by Dog Ear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Door in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door in the Sky

The Door in the Sky by Sandy Klein BernsteinThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHow I Found You by Gabriella LeporeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Young Adult Fantasy Books
1st out of 135 books — 82 voters
The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerBinding Arbitration by Elizabeth MarxThe Jungle by Upton SinclairDivergent by Veronica Roth
Books Set in Chicago
7th out of 332 books — 253 voters

More lists with this book...

Jon
Find this review at Scott Reads It

Thank you Sandy Klein Bernstein for providing me a copy of The Door In The Sky in exchange for a honest review. First of all when Sandy approached me on Goodreads about her book The Door in the Sky I was very skeptical because I don't usually read books like this. Anyway I decided I would go against my judgment and I'm happy I did.

The Door in the Sky is a book that readers of all ages will enjoy. It's a heartwarming, fun, and quick read that will convert relucta
Erika
This review can also be found on Living for the Books

Honestly going into this I wasn't sure what to think. I don't normally read books like this. I think the last time I read a book about an 11 year old was when I read Harry Potter. Now I've seen this book compared to Harry Potter and I don't really get why. Sure it has wizards and magic but that doesn't mean it has to be compared to Harry Potter. While reading about the Serpent's Eye I actually thought it reminded me of this movie I saw a few y
Allison
The Door in the Sky was a FANTASTIC read. This book is full of interesting and inventive characters that appeal to readers of all ages. I genuinely had a great time reading it.

The book begins with an alchemist being murdered by a creepy shadow, who is after a very specific spell. Meanwhile, on Earth, an 11-year-old boy named Ricky visits the planetarium with his older sister. The siblings are taken by a kind star and his nephew to Galdoren, where they are supposed to be the guests of honor and a
Annabel ♥
Oct 29, 2012 Annabel ♥ marked it as to-read
I'm reading the first couple chapters of this book and then reviewing them for this awesome writer Sandy who is very kind and generous! I can't wait to read more!
Simon Jenner
This review is from my 12 year old son.

I think this book started off really well. The main character (well, at the start of the book), Ricky, was called to the science museum but he never explained why to his parents. Once there Ricky and his sister, Allie, were invited to a magical kingdom called Galdoren. When they arrived they found that an evil witch called Glacidia and her pet demon, Shadow, had escaped their prison and were searching for the most powerful possession in Galdoren, the Serpen
Ricky Margolin
This book was great! So many fantasy books seem the same, but this one was totally different. Some of the characters are really funny, but it was cool the way there were also a lot of serious characters and scary characters to balance that out.
So many chapters ended with you in suspense, so you felt like you had to keep reading. The time passed so quickly when I was reading it, that I couldn't believe it when I looked at my cell phone and saw that like two hours had passed since I started. I wa
Sharon
My new all-time favorite book! Kind of like the first Harry Potter. It was so much fun to read - I even dreamt about it one night! It was really magical, but not the kind of magic stuff I've read before. Sometimes when you read a book, all the characters sound the same. But in this book, I started to believe that every character was real, because each one had their own personality.
I love the Kingdom of Galdoren and want to move there! I looked for other books by this author, but I couldn't find
Julie Schoerke
I know J.K. Rowling is considered the gold standard. But honestly, I liked this better than the first in the Harry Potter series because it's magical and fun, but much lighter and sunnier. It's fantastical and this debut middle-grade novel is just the thing to hook young readers who could tip either way - become a life-long lover of books, or the kind of kid who reads for school assignments. I loved the story and I love the perspective of this author. I'm looking forward to more in the series!
Marissa DeCuir
I am SO glad I picked up this book to read - it's hilarious, so magically written and quite entertaining. "Twink" a young child star with a big personality is my favorite character - too adorable. The descriptions throughout the book really bring you to this fascinating world. I know it says ages 9+ - and pay attention to that plus sign because I'm 26 and obsessed with the book now! Refreshing and fun for all ages!
Jackie
This book was awesome! It reminded me of the first few Harry Potters.
Patty
The Door In The Sky
Sandy Klein Bernstein

My "in a nutshell" summary...

Hmmm...a boy and his sister, stars, clouds, a really meanie bully wintery witch and her shadowy assistant, an old sorcerer and his apprentice...and...an adventure and a quest...oh...did I mention comedy? I definitely need to mention comedy!

My thoughts after reading this book...

I was sort of swept into this mesmerizing world...of sky and stars and clouds and magic! I loved this book from its opening fascinating prologue. But.
Pamela Kramer
"The Door in the Sky" by Sandy Klein Bernstein is a fantasy extraordinaire. It not only features travel to another planet, but it contains witches, fairies, sprites, magic spells and more. Children will yearn for Edna's candy farm where cows offer different flavors of milk and gummy bears grow from the ground.

Ricky and his sister, Allie, instead of spending the night at the Chicago Space Museum (locals know it better as the Adler Planetarium), get whisked to the kingdom of Galdoren on another pl
Valentina
This is a lovely middle grade book that will entertain and delight younger readers.
There is such a great amount of world-building here, so much that middle graders will absolutely love. I think even kinds younger than that will also enjoy the many creatures and magical moments in this book. There is a good balance between the world building and the plot line, so that we never feel overwhelmed by the details, but we are also never left confused as to what happened. This is crucial when writing f
Krystal
Out of all the books I’ve reviewed this year, this has to be one of my favorites. The Door in the Sky was obviously aimed for nine year-olds and up, but I believe any age can read it. The world Bernstein creates is (in my opinion), more magical than Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. It also has lots of humor, so not only was I intrigued about the world Bernstein created, I also had a great time living in it too. Everything she explains will make the reader think “Wow, that was unexpected”. The plot ...more
Lisa Vazquezanzua
Jul 13, 2014 Lisa Vazquezanzua rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All ages young and old
WOW‼! I LOVE this book!! It is an amazingly written story that grips you from the moment you start reading it. Sandy Bernstein created a magical world where witches, faeries, wood sprites, goblins and more exist. I love how the author put forth so much detail so that we, the readers, can imagine this world the way it was meant to be.

The characters are truly remarkable! Characters you will fall in love with and some that you will not! Nevertheless, one thing I know is that you will be taken on a
Maxine
The Door in the Sky is a real little charmer of a book. Aimed at middle-graders, it is chock full of adventure, humour, and some wonderfully bad baddies who definitely deserve whatever comeuppance they should get at the hands of the very colourful and extremely likable good guys. And judging from all the rave reviews, this book would be the perfect antidote for the reluctant reader blues.

To be honest, though, and at the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeon, I will admit that there were some p
Noblesqualor
Absolutely wonderful!!

To all the book lovers out there: you know that great feeling you get when you begin reading a new book, and you know immediately that something special is happening? That is exactly the way I felt when I began reading Sandy Klein Bernstein's The Door in the Sky.

As soon as I began reading, I was completely hooked. From the very outset, this book joins the ranks of fabulous novels for young readers; it is funny, exciting, charming, creative, and engaging. But for all you adu
Mara
I wasn't sure what to expect but once I started reading this book I couldn't stop.

The story of Ricky and his sister Allie is a fantastical journey to the stars. Ricky gets invited to the magical kingdom of Galderon by special invitation from the King. His escorts are two very lovable stars. When Twink, the young star, spies Ricky's sister he has to know the color of her eyes and from there the journey begins.

Traveling to Galderon and landing on fluffy clouds, magic potions, alchemists, witches,
This was a great read. The characters were loveable. The villain was very stereotype, but that's ok.

The author certainly knows how to conjure up pictures in ones imagination. I wish though she would have given Henry more room to develop his character. But I think we might expect to meet him in future books.

In the beginning I was a little bit hypersensitive and compared it to Harry Potter, because I saw some parallels. Turns out, it's its own story. THANK GOD. And a well-written one at that.

I'll
Heidi
I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this! I'm not the hugest fantasy reader with a few exceptions. I noticed that a lot of reviewers compared/related this book to Harry Potter and, honestly, I don't see it. Possibly because I loathed the HP books. Anyway. My immediate thought was the funny, absurdest fantasy is so totally Terry Pratchett-esque. It was a great book, I really enjoyed it, and I'd definitely read the follow up.
Tiffany
Oh my goodness! This book was fantastic! I could not put it down. I love all of the characters except for the bad guys, of course and I was mesmerized by the setting. I was amazed at how truly creative and wonderful the story was. It made me laugh, scream, and even shed a few tears, and most of all, it made me smile. Sandy, is obviously a very talented author and I can't wait to read her next book! :)
Rachel Prince
Thank goodness I finished this book. Ugh! While it had some redeeming qualities like a snowcat and a candy farm, those were not enough to bring this boring book past one star. I couldn't get past the fact that there were walking, talking five-pointed stars and the kids did not find anything unusual about that. The kids accepted that way too easily for me.
I really liked this book; it was a quick fun YA read. I was fortunate enough to win a copy on Library Thing's Member giveaways. This was truly a unique book and l adored the author’s sense of humor. I look forward to her other writings!
Dsbook
Wonderful book for all ages. Magical, funny, wonderful characters. Listed as YA but as an adult I could not wait to finish it and am looking forward to the sequel.
Carrie Mongillo
I received my free copy from FirstReads today! Thank you Sandy! I'm so looking forward to reading this!
Melissa
I wanted to like this one a lot. It's a good idea, but it really needs refining.
Azalea Ellis
Azalea Ellis marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Arshe
Arshe marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Jensen
Jensen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
  • Men of the Cave (Symbol of Hope #1)
  • 1/2 王子 9 (1/2 Prince, #9)
  • Zak Corbin: Master of Machines
  • Tilly's Moonlight Garden
  • Fade (The Ragnarök Prophesies, #1)
  • The Undying God
  • Anomaly (The New Haven Project, #1)
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 45 (Fairy Tail, #45)
  • The Keeper's Calling (The Keeper's Saga, #1)
  • The Specials
  • Living Violet (The Cambion Chronicles, #1)
  • Replay
  • Under the Desert Moon
  • The Reluctant Knight
  • The Last Witch (Incenaga, #1)
  • Return of the Crown
Sandy Klein Bernstein loves magic and castles and chocolate and dragons (but not chocolate-covered dragons, as they give her indigestion). Ms. Klein Bernstein holds a Master's degree in Special Education, which she should really put down since holding it makes it extremely difficult to type. She lives with her two children, the real Allie and Ricky, and hopes if they are ever whisked away to an en ...more
More about Sandy Klein Bernstein...