Start by marking “Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)” as Want to Read:
Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)

Not Quite Dating (Not Quite #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  4,396 ratings  ·  330 reviews
Waitress and single mom Jessica “Jessie” Mann is practical to a fault. Even if she had time to date, which she doesn’t, she’d be determined to provide her son with a more secure upbringing than the one she had—and that would mean a husband with big bucks. When Jack Morrison—a sexy-as-sin, seemingly broke customer with a cowboy hat and a seductive grin—tries to flirt with h...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Montlake Romance (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Not Quite Dating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Quite Dating

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberSlammed by Colleen HooverHopeless by Colleen HooverOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
Best Romance Books of 2012
159th out of 434 books — 697 voters
Not Quite Dating by Catherine BybeeThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownBare It All by Lori FosterDash of Peril by Lori Foster
Series Fanatic
1st out of 107 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Kay
[image error]
★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Sweet and fun. Nothing new here, but I really liked it. Fast-paced, with a nice flow. Made me smile a few times. It was very pleasant to listen to while I did my weekly errands.

I haven’t read anything by this author before, but I’ll be checking out more of her books. Enough that I checked into when the next in the series comes out. (April, 2013).

For that matter, I’ve never heard Amy McFadden narrate before, and she does a nice job. I’ll l...more
Ann
Torn here between 4.0-4.5 stars so I just rounded up. Rachel Gibson came to mind while I was reading this. Think fans of hers will like this story. A sweet romance between Jessie, a single mom who’s struggling to make ends meet as a waitress and millionaire Jack who’s looking for love from someone who’s not just after his money. To protect himself, making sure she’ll love him for who he is and not what he has, he pretends to be a waiter at one of his hotels. Jessie’s 5 yr old son Danny is darlin...more
Crista
3 1/2 stars!

Sometimes you read a book that, in that moment, fits the mood you're in perfectly. This was definitely the case with Not Quite Dating. Lately I've been reading books with so much angst, drama, and emotion in them that it was nice to switch to something a little lighter in tone. Not Quite Dating is a sugary sweet, easy read that makes you feel good. It's straight romance, and refreshing in it's simplicity.

Jack is a billionaire heir to a large hotel empire who is growing weary of gold...more
Catherine
Aug 31, 2012 Catherine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemp-romance
Available November 2012
Emily
No matter how hard she tries Jessica “Jessie” Mann can’t quite get ahead, with her young son at home it seems every dollar she makes comes with another debt owed or something needing repaired. Jack Morrison is on a weekend long bachelor party when he meets his waitress Jessie at the Denny’s they are eating at. Although Jack turns on the charm, Jessie makes her intentions clear, not going to happen.

Jack is not used to a woman fawning all over him, but Jessie thinks he is a dreamer scratching two...more
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: B-

Jack meets Jessie at the restaurant where she works as a waitress. She’s been unlucky in love, always picking the men who can’t be depended on and use her. She’s vowed that she’s not dating a guy unless he’s rich and has a clear career path he’s headed down. When she meets Jack and assumes he’s a freeloader, based on how he’s acting around his friends and the beat up truck he drives, she instantly puts him in the no-dating zone. What she do...more
Scott-robert Shenkman
***Slightly Spoilery***

OK, so I’ve read a few reviews saying that the ending of this book is predictable…..

Um, so unless you’ve been living under a rock in Scotland for the past 472 years (oh wait, that’s a different Catherine Bybee series), you know exactly how this book will end. You EXPECT it to end a certain way, and if it doesn’t, well, you will be pissed off.

The fun is in getting to the ending.

And this book is fun. A lot of fun. Jessie and Jack are extremely likeable, cool characters and y...more
LaFleurBleue
A very classic plot of a poor single mother Cinderella looking for a richer prince charming, falling in love with a man not fitting her bills on paper. And on the other hand, the rich guy masquerading as one of his minions to see if he could be loved for himself and not merely for the content of his deep wallet.
Despite this lack of imagination in the plot, the characters, main and secondary, were highly likeable, the dialogues seemed all real. And the overall story just flowed right, the book w...more
Jacob Proffitt
If you read the blurb, you can probably put most of the plot together without bothering to read the book. Only then, you'll miss out on the fun characters. I just liked both Jessie and Jack and spending time with them was worth the investment. And thinking back on it, the writing was solidly unobtrusive (which I like) and the secondary characters did a good job enhancing the main story without taking it over—and that includes the kid.

A note about Steamy: Mildly steamy. Some explit sex, but kept...more
Irena
I think I've read something similar before, only the guy was some kind of royalty and hiding it. Can't remember the title and now I see I didn't add it to my books, so no help there. I wonder how many books I forgot like that.

This is a pretty unbelievable, but cute romance. Somewhere between it was ok and I like it.
Ian
Jessie is a struggling , single mom. She works as a waitress and is looking for a wealthy man to bring stability to her life.
Jack is tired of women who only see his bank balance so he pretends to be a drifter with no prospects.

When Jack meets Jessie he is immediately attracted to her and as he gets to know her and her son his attraction increases but Jessie doesn't see him as marriage material so she pushes him away.

Eventually Jessie falls for him despite his lack of prospects. Now Jack needs t...more
Lovetoread
Catherine Bybee is a new author for me so when I purchased Not Quite Dating I hoped that it would be as interesting as the book description the publishing company supplies. I was not disappointed. The story really draws you in after the first few pages and never lets you go. Jessie is a struggling single mom who works nights as a waitress at a dinner supporting herself and her son Danny who is five years old. She lives in a small two bedroom apartment with her sister, who is going to school to b...more
Elaine Mcdonald
This is a sweet, makes you feel good romance that takes place during the Christmas season. Jessie is working as a waitress, trying to make ends meet in order to support her sister and her 5 year old son. Her mother has frequently told her it is just as easy to love a poor man as a rich man. She is immediately attracted to Jack, but she wants someone established not a dreamer with a dead end job. After an ex girlfriend tells him any girl he marries will be marrying him for his money, Jack decides...more
Lisa Hutson
Only grading on the story, 5 stars. I was a little disappointed with the abrupt fast predictable ending. BUT.....I love these kind of endings. Very sweet love story endings. It was a wonderful love story. Fabulous family. That I cant wait to read more about. See more stories and more romances. It was a very nice read.

I have thought more about Jessie and Jack....liking their story more the more I think about it. Glad I read it. And looking forward to more in the series.
♥Trish♥
Just loved this book! Sweet more than anything.
Dalia
First book in the very promising "Not Quite" series.
A sweet, full-of-warm-feelings read with a well paced plot, an interesting premise about love and money, engaging characters and good secondary characters.
The story line isn't new, a rich guy hides his wealth to find a woman who loves him for who he really is and not for his wallet. But CB does it so well you can't help but be invested in the characters story.
Jack is fed up with all the shallow women who see only in him a fat wallet. He needs...more
Andrea Guy
If you are a fan of Debbie Macomber Then you'll love Catherine Bybee. Not Quite Dating reminds me of Debbie's early books for Harlequin Romance. Short and sweet and full of warm fuzzy feelings.

This is a romance novel, one you'll fall in love with.

Jessie feels like someone you know. She feels real and Jack is her knight in shining armor, but she doesn't know it yet.

It reads like a modern day fairy tale. With Jessie as Cinderella and Jake as her Fairy Godmother and Prince Charming all rolled into...more
Shirl
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun Cinderella story with a sexy rich Texan, who's father just happens to own a line of high end hotels across the country. Jake was looking for someone to love him for himself not his family's money. Someone to share a ranch in Texas with. When he met Jesssie waiting tables at the diner, he new there was something special about this lady who was a single mom trying to make a living for her five yr old son and herself. Jessie thought she wanted someone rich t...more
Dee
May 24, 2013 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
The issue was defined early on. Jessie couldn't afford to date a bum,a dreamer,a slacker. In fact, she just needed a rich man. Jack couldn't marry a trophy wife only there for the love of his money. It's love at first sight for the two. I'm thankful the author was kind enough to paint that picture instead of blatantly w writing it.

Add an adorable son (Jessie's),a few meddling sisters and a few other lovable family members and the love story is complete. It had all the simple yet complicated, fru...more
Dana
Hotel chain heir Jack Morrison had had enough of women who were only after him for his money. When his latest money grubbing ex-girlfriend showed up in Las Vegas at the bachelor party of his best friend Dean, whining that they belonged together, and yes it had to do with his billions, Jack realized that with the next girl he met, he wouldn't reveal how rich he was. Why? Because Jack wanted a woman to fall in love with him, not his wallet.
Jessie is a single mother working the night shift at the...more
Emma
3.5 stars.
I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't a fan of the whole lying going on but I could understand... Still think Jack should have come clean sonner but well, it's the author's prerogative. I had a good time reading this book and it's what matters. Now I really want to read Katie's story, the first chapter of Not Quite Mine totally got me hooked.
Re
I really enjoyed the story of Jack and Jessie. Jack who is a billionaire was tired of dating women who wanted to be with him because of his money. He ends up meeting Jessie one night after a bachelor party, at a diner. Jessie is a waitress who has a son, and is looking for a Mr. Right. Their story is very sweet,with a few twists and turns. Enjoy!!
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIO & EBOOK; MARCH 5, 2014

I was in a mood for a light contemporary romance and this one delivered:) Bybee is a new author to me and I bought two of her Not Quite books after I read the Audiogals' review of the third one, Not Quite Enough which features Monica, the sister of the heroine, Jessie, of Book 1.

NQD is the kind of romance I enjoy reading when I feel relaxed or am on holiday. I don't need to concentrate on it to know what's going on like I do when reading a murder mystery...more
Tracy Thompson
This was a great story, I really enjoyed it. The story line, plot and concept were all great. The Hero, Jack was a rich sexy cowboy in his stetson hat! The Heroine, Jessie was strong and witty, not whimpering and whiny, which is always a plus to me. They had great chemistry and some very nicely written sex scenes. There was a lot of dialogue throughout the book, ( I like lots of dialogue) and it was well written, easy to follow. It all flowed very nicely.

I listened via audible as I read along. A...more
Katina
Really great book! Loved this audio version so much that I downloaded book 2. I definitely recommend it for a nice, lighthearted read.
Cajya Darling
I loved this book. Such an amazing writer!!
Maria
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a blog tour. I rated it 4.5 Stars:

No matter how smart you plan to be about choosing the man in your future, what happens to Catherine Bybee's characters in Not Quite Dating proves that "the heart wants what the heart wants". The first book in Ms. Bybee's new Not Quite series, I was captured by this sweet and heartfelt contemporary romance. With a well paced plot, good secondary characters and an interesting premise about love and money, t...more
Chris Bails
What a great book. This my first book by Catherine and will definitely not be my last. Stayed up way too late to finish it, but so worth it.

This is the story of Jack, who wants to find someone to love him for himself and not his money. Several of the last few women he has dated have all used them for his money. While celebrating with his closest friends, Jack meets a women named Jessie. She is a waitress at the restaurant they are eating at. Jack is instantly attracted to her.

Jessie is a single...more
Tana
Not Quite Dating by Catherine Bybee

Not Quite Dating is a contempory romance novel, Catherine Bybee’s writing is easy to read and the story flows seamlessly, it is some wonderful writing. I really liked all the characters involved in this story and felt like you really got to know everyone and of course want the best for them. I always think highly of authors who can make you laugh out loud and get so involved in the story that you cannot put this book down till you reach the end.

Jessie is a sin...more
Cyndee
Jessie is a single mother living with her sister and 5 year old son. They are trying survive while Jessie's sister is going through nursing school and Jessie is a waitress at Denny's (note to world if you have ever been one of these employees you know how bad it is to come home from that. YUCK and so glad it is far in my past). Unlike me (only hit on by bums) Jessie was hit on by a millionaire not wanting to be loved for his money.

Jack Morrison is just coming off another horrible relationship wh...more
  • Far from Perfect (Perfect, Indiana, #1)
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
  • Meant to Be (Anchor Island, #1)
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • The Second Chance Cafe (Hope Springs, #1)
  • Caught on Camera (The Davenports, #1)
  • Freshwater Kisses: A Billionaire Love Story (The Kisses Series, #4)
  • Hidden Moon Bay (Pelican Pointe, #2)
  • So This Is Love (Callaways, #2)
  • Honey on Your Mind
  • A Cowboy for Christmas (Jubilee, Texas, #3)
  • Mine at Midnight
  • Longing for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #7)
  • Come Home To Me (Second Chances, #1)
  • Torn (Reflections #2)
  • A Town Called Valentine (Valentine Valley #1)
New York Times Bestselling Author
USA Today Bestselling Author
Wall Street Journal Bestselling Author
Amazon #1 Bestselling Author
#1 IndieReader Bestselling Author

Two Time Rone Award Winner 2012
Winner of the More Than Magic Award for Paranormal romance 2011

New York Times bestselling author Catherine Bybee was raised in Washington State, but after graduating from high school, she moved to Southern Cal...more
More about Catherine Bybee...
Wife by Wednesday (The Weekday Brides, #1) Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2) Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2) Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3) Single by Saturday (The Weekday Brides, #4)

“He gasped. “Jesus, Jessie, aren’t you listening to me? I love you more than roaches love sticky buns.” 1 likes