Start by marking “Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)” as Want to Read:
Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)

Not Quite Dating (Not Quite #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  12,652 Ratings  ·  737 Reviews
Waitress and single mom Jessica “Jessie” Mann is practical to a fault. Even if she had time to date, which she doesn’t, she’d be determined to provide her son with a more secure upbringing than the one she had—and that would mean a husband with big bucks. When Jack Morrison—a sexy-as-sin, seemingly broke customer with a cowboy hat and a seductive grin—tries to flirt with h ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Montlake Romance (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Not Quite Dating, please sign up.

Marionle6tron I wouldn't say it's a funny story but it's a good romance with such funny sentences and situations

Alp
2.75/5

Catherine Bybee is one of my favorite authors so I had high hopes for this one. Sadly, it wasn’t exactly up to par with her other works I’ve read.

Honestly, it was good and enjoyable for the most part, but not quite my kind of book. The plot was too plain and predictable—a millionaire pretended to be the waiter in order to find true love. I didn’t mind how cheesy the story was because as you know, I never say no to cheese! My major problem was the drama. It did nothing but upset me! Moreove
Candace
I've had this book on my TBR list for quite a while and thought I'd give it a try. I listened to the Audible version and the narration for Jack's character was horrible! I almost just quit listening altogether because it was so bad.

Aside from the unappealing narration, the story was kind of cute. I did like the characters, even if I was put-off by some of the over-the-top "country bumpkin" portrayals of Jack. At times, it did feel more like I'd gotten ahold of a script for an episode of 'The Bev
Lisa Kay
[image error]
★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Sweet and fun. Nothing new here, but I really liked it. Fast-paced, with a nice flow. Made me smile a few times. It was very pleasant to listen to while I did my weekly errands.

I haven’t read anything by this author before, but I’ll be checking out more of her books. Enough that I checked into when the next in the series comes out. (April, 2013).

For that matter, I’ve never heard Amy McFadden narrate before, and she does a nice job. I’ll l
Ann
May 09, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
Torn here between 4.0-4.5 stars so I just rounded up. Rachel Gibson came to mind while I was reading this. Think fans of hers will like this story. A sweet romance between Jessie, a single mom who’s struggling to make ends meet as a waitress and millionaire Jack who’s looking for love from someone who’s not just after his money. To protect himself, making sure she’ll love him for who he is and not what he has, he pretends to be a waiter at one of his hotels. Jessie’s 5 yr old son Danny is darlin ...more
Crista
Dec 30, 2012 Crista rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars!

Sometimes you read a book that, in that moment, fits the mood you're in perfectly. This was definitely the case with Not Quite Dating. Lately I've been reading books with so much angst, drama, and emotion in them that it was nice to switch to something a little lighter in tone. Not Quite Dating is a sugary sweet, easy read that makes you feel good. It's straight romance, and refreshing in it's simplicity.

Jack is a billionaire heir to a large hotel empire who is growing weary of gold
Fanny
Jun 14, 2016 Fanny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

No Exactamente Una Cita es el primer libro de la nueva serie de Catherine Bybee, llamada No Exactamente y nos presenta a Jack y Jessie.
Estaba emocionada por comenzar esta lectura pero tambien tenia un poco de reservas, lo unico que habia leido de la autora era su saga The Weekday Brides y aunque fueron unos libros que me sorprendieron para bien, no sabia si seria un caso aislado o si realmente me gustaria todo lo que creara Catherine Bybee.
Reconozco que este libro no fue lo que esperaba, quizas
Scott-robert Shenkman
Feb 09, 2013 Scott-robert Shenkman rated it really liked it
***Slightly Spoilery***

OK, so I’ve read a few reviews saying that the ending of this book is predictable…..

Um, so unless you’ve been living under a rock in Scotland for the past 472 years (oh wait, that’s a different Catherine Bybee series), you know exactly how this book will end. You EXPECT it to end a certain way, and if it doesn’t, well, you will be pissed off.

The fun is in getting to the ending.

And this book is fun. A lot of fun. Jessie and Jack are extremely likeable, cool characters and y
KatLynne
3.5 Stars!

Sweet, enjoyable romance.
Leslie
Feb 16, 2017 Leslie rated it really liked it
Heartwarming, cute novel that had me smiling until the last line. Wonderful narration, too! On to book 2 in the series!
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
This book was really sweet.

So far it is safe to say that I have loved every book I have read by Catherine Bybee. You know that her characters are going to have a good attractions with pits and falls before fully coming into the romance and a brilliant feel good ending.

Jessie is a young mum who works long hours late at night as a waitress in order that she can spend her daylight hours with her son in order that he doesn't miss out. Her younger sister lives with them rent free in order that she al
Kristal Kitap
Kısacık, keyifle okunan tatlı bir kitaptı Sadece Arkadaşız. Angels Books ile birlikte okuduk yine, her ikimizin elinde aynı kitap varken birlikte okumamazlık olmazdı! :)

Akıcı olduğu için kitap elimize geçtiği gibi bitirdik. Hızlıca okunuyor, tatlı bir tebessüm bırakıyor yüzünüzde. Aşkı işleyişi fazlaca klişe olsa da sıkmıyor insanı. Güzel bir mola sağlıyor insana çünkü.

Zengin oğlan, fakir kız. Oğlan parası için yanaşan kadınlardan sıkılıp fakir rolüne bürünüyor işte. Kadın ise fakir ve bir çocu
Catherine
Aug 31, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemp-romance
Available November 2012
Patrisha
Jan 01, 2016 Patrisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lettura adorabile. Un romanzo che fila via senza accorgerti, lo avrei letto in molto meno tempo se non fossi stata impegnata con altre cose da fare.
I protagonisti sono simpatici e ben combinati. Il plot di partenza forse non è originalissimo ma da il via a una storia d'amore dolce e divertente, dove la commedia dell'equivoco viaggia parallela al romanticismo e mi va benissimo.
Jack ama Jessie e capisce che è la donna per sempre, quella che finalmente può dare un senso alla sua vita da miliardario
Lovetoread
Feb. 3, 2014 Catherine Bybee is a new author for me so when I purchased Not Quite Dating I hoped that it would be as interesting as the book description the publishing company supplies. I was not disappointed. The story really draws you in after the first few pages and never lets you go. Jessie is a struggling single mom who works nights as a waitress at a dinner supporting herself and her son Danny who is five years old. She lives in a small two bedroom apartment with her sister, who is going t ...more
LaFleurBleue
Jan 08, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it liked it
A very classic plot of a poor single mother Cinderella looking for a richer prince charming, falling in love with a man not fitting her bills on paper. And on the other hand, the rich guy masquerading as one of his minions to see if he could be loved for himself and not merely for the content of his deep wallet.
Despite this lack of imagination in the plot, the characters, main and secondary, were highly likeable, the dialogues seemed all real. And the overall story just flowed right, the book w
Jess
Feb 27, 2013 Jess rated it liked it
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: B-

Jack meets Jessie at the restaurant where she works as a waitress. She’s been unlucky in love, always picking the men who can’t be depended on and use her. She’s vowed that she’s not dating a guy unless he’s rich and has a clear career path he’s headed down. When she meets Jack and assumes he’s a freeloader, based on how he’s acting around his friends and the beat up truck he drives, she instantly puts him in the no-dating zone. What she do
ReginLaRadiosa
Nov 07, 2015 ReginLaRadiosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recensione presente sul sito www.reginlaradiosa.it:

"Volevo passare più tempo con te, conoscerti. Volevo dimostrarti che il denaro non compra la felicità. Tutti gli uomini alla festa potevano essere ricchi, ma nessuno di loro ti avrebbe resa felice. Io sono stato ricco per tutta la vita, eppure non sono mai stato felice come lo sono con te.

[..] Ti amo più di quanto gli scarafaggi amino le girelle alla cannella."

Jessi scoppiò a ridere di cuore. Alla faccia del poeta che aveva varcato la soglia di
Emily
Nov 06, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
No matter how hard she tries Jessica “Jessie” Mann can’t quite get ahead, with her young son at home it seems every dollar she makes comes with another debt owed or something needing repaired. Jack Morrison is on a weekend long bachelor party when he meets his waitress Jessie at the Denny’s they are eating at. Although Jack turns on the charm, Jessie makes her intentions clear, not going to happen.

Jack is not used to a woman fawning all over him, but Jessie thinks he is a dreamer scratching two
Elaine
Sep 04, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catherine-bybee
This is a sweet, makes you feel good romance that takes place during the Christmas season. Jessie is working as a waitress, trying to make ends meet in order to support her sister and her 5 year old son. Her mother has frequently told her it is just as easy to love a poor man as a rich man. She is immediately attracted to Jack, but she wants someone established not a dreamer with a dead end job. After an ex girlfriend tells him any girl he marries will be marrying him for his money, Jack decides ...more
Jacob Proffitt
If you read the blurb, you can probably put most of the plot together without bothering to read the book. Only then, you'll miss out on the fun characters. I just liked both Jessie and Jack and spending time with them was worth the investment. And thinking back on it, the writing was solidly unobtrusive (which I like) and the secondary characters did a good job enhancing the main story without taking it over—and that includes the kid.

A note about Steamy: Mildly steamy. Some explit sex, but kept
Siv30
Nov 12, 2016 Siv30 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-quite
ספר חביב סה"כ וצפויי.

ג'סי מלצרית, אם חד הורית המגדלת את בנה לאחר שאביו נעלם מהסביבה כשגילה על ההריון.

ג'ק מוריסון, הוא בן עשירים למשפחה המנהלת כ 200 מלונות יוקרה בארהב. כשהם נפגשים, ג'ק מעמיד פנים הוא מלצר מרוד שחולם על עתיד גדול וג'סי מסרבת לצאת עם בחור שאינו יציב בתעסוקה שלו ואין לו כסף.

ג'ק מחזר במרץ אחרי ג'סי והיא מסרבת ליותר מידידות אבל היא מתאהבת בג'ק והוא בה מה שמסבך את העיניינים כשהוא צריך לגלות לה את האמת על עצמו.

ספר נחמד, צפוי ומעביר מספר שעות קריאה בכיף.
Lisa Hutson
Nov 14, 2012 Lisa Hutson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only grading on the story, 5 stars. I was a little disappointed with the abrupt fast predictable ending. BUT.....I love these kind of endings. Very sweet love story endings. It was a wonderful love story. Fabulous family. That I cant wait to read more about. See more stories and more romances. It was a very nice read.

I have thought more about Jessie and Jack....liking their story more the more I think about it. Glad I read it. And looking forward to more in the series.
Amarilli Settantatre
Mah. Se lo avesse scritto un'italiana, sarebbe stata sotterrata alla prima recensione.
Lo scapolo-cuore d'oro, la single con figlio delizioso a carico, la sorellina studiosa, la macchina che non parte, il sogno di un futuro migliore, la visita allo zoo, un tocco di Cenerentola...
Quando la melassa sul fondo della pagina stava per finire, voltavo pagina ed era sempre peggio.
In genere non disdegno le storie romantiche, ma non quando sono costruite così a tavolino.
Artificioso.
Isabel
Mar 11, 2016 Isabel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No sé si ha sido el libro o he sido yo, pero no me ha dicho nada.
La historia no está mal (me ha recordado un poco al estilo Harlequín) y no le he sacado ninguna pega concreta por eso no sé si en otro momento hubiera disfrutado más de su lectura, pero la verdad es que no he terminado de meterme del todo en la historia en ningún momento y me ha dejado bastante fria.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
May 26, 2013 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it it was ok
I think I've read something similar before, only the guy was some kind of royalty and hiding it. Can't remember the title and now I see I didn't add it to my books, so no help there. I wonder how many books I forgot like that.

This is a pretty unbelievable, but cute romance. Somewhere between it was ok and I like it.
Ian
Jessie is a struggling , single mom. She works as a waitress and is looking for a wealthy man to bring stability to her life.
Jack is tired of women who only see his bank balance so he pretends to be a drifter with no prospects.

When Jack meets Jessie he is immediately attracted to her and as he gets to know her and her son his attraction increases but Jessie doesn't see him as marriage material so she pushes him away.

Eventually Jessie falls for him despite his lack of prospects. Now Jack needs t
Andrea Guy
If you are a fan of Debbie Macomber Then you'll love Catherine Bybee. Not Quite Dating reminds me of Debbie's early books for Harlequin Romance. Short and sweet and full of warm fuzzy feelings.

This is a romance novel, one you'll fall in love with.

Jessie feels like someone you know. She feels real and Jack is her knight in shining armor, but she doesn't know it yet.

It reads like a modern day fairy tale. With Jessie as Cinderella and Jake as her Fairy Godmother and Prince Charming all rolled into
Dee
May 21, 2013 Dee rated it it was amazing
The issue was defined early on. Jessie couldn't afford to date a bum,a dreamer,a slacker. In fact, she just needed a rich man. Jack couldn't marry a trophy wife only there for the love of his money. It's love at first sight for the two. I'm thankful the author was kind enough to paint that picture instead of blatantly w writing it.

Add an adorable son (Jessie's),a few meddling sisters and a few other lovable family members and the love story is complete. It had all the simple yet complicated, fru
Cat
Mar 27, 2015 Cat rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Heart warmingly sweet story that unfolded like a Hallmark movie.
♥Trish♥
Dec 29, 2012 ♥Trish♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Just loved this book! Sweet more than anything.
Dating - 7 Signs of a Great First Date 1 3 Feb 02, 2017 01:03AM
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
  • Caught in the Act (The Davenports, #2)
  • Meant to Be (Anchor Island, #1)
  • Far from Perfect (Perfect, Indiana, #1)
  • The Wolf
  • A Marquess for Christmas
  • Honey on Your Mind
  • Single by Saturday: By Catherine Bybee -- Review
  • Not Just the Nanny
  • Ho, Humbug, Ho (Richmond Rogues, #4.5)
  • Hold on My Heart
  • No Foolin'
  • Torn (Reflections #2)
  • At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)
  • Kat Fight
  • Last Chance Beauty Queen (Last Chance, #3)
  • A Town Called Valentine (Valentine Valley #1)
  • Dead By Midnight: An I-Team Christmas (I-Team #7.5)
New York Times Bestselling Author

Silent Vows

Finalist RT Award in Contemporary Romance
Fiance by Friday

New York Times
More about Catherine Bybee...

Not Quite (5 books)
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)

“He gasped. “Jesus, Jessie, aren’t you listening to me? I love you more than roaches love sticky buns.” 3 likes
“Who goes from sleeping together to marriage overnight?” 0 likes