Start by marking “The Monstore” as Want to Read:
The Monstore

The Monstore

The Monstore is the place to go for all of y
Published June 4th 2013 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Monstore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monstore

Mary Catherine
Feb 06, 2013 Mary Catherine rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a really cute book that had it all - silly monsters, a bit of sibling rivalry, heroic moments from the older brother, and really great illustrations. The colors of the monsters really popped against the darker backgrounds.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I had the wonderful privilege of actually hearing James Burks read an early copy of this to kids. It is such a fun book. Lazar did a great job telling the story and Burks topped it off with his illustrations.
Catherine Johnson
May 29, 2013 Catherine Johnson rated it it was amazing
So much fun and super twists and turns. Wonderful debut and stellar picture book. I love that there's a trap door in this zany monster story.
:Donna Marie
For sure, THE MONSTORE is a keeper, in my opinion. I am quite the fan of picture books, but only buy the ones I simply HAVE to own. Tara's story is very fresh and clever, but especially fun to read! How often do you have satisfying twists in a picture book? Well, this one has it!

The illustrations are a perfect fit, too. I highly recommend this book for anyone's bookshelf, and that includes big "kids" like myself :)

***Please NOTE: I won’t give "star” ratings; rating things turns me off. I ignor
Brianna Soloski
Jun 10, 2013 Brianna Soloski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The Monstore by Tara Lazar 5/5 stars
Publisher: Aladdin Length: 32 pages Format: Hardcover

Goodreads: The Monstore is a one-stop shop for all your monsterly needs in this enormously funny story that’s full of friendly, kooky creatures.At the back of Frankensweet’s Candy Shoppe, under the last box of sour gumballs, there’s a trapdoor. Knock five times fast, hand over the bag of squirmy worms, and you can crawl inside The Monstore. The Monstore is the place to go for all of your monsterly needs. Whi
Julie Grasso
Oct 28, 2012 Julie Grasso rated it it was amazing
The moment this book entered the house, my 2y.o loved it. She asked us to read the "Monstore" 5 times before lunch and her eyes were glued to the page. Day 2 we couldn't leave the house without the Monstore. Day 3 she started paraphrasing the pages whilst flicking through them herself. As I started to write this review, she saw the picture on screen and exclaimed "Monstore Mummy, go get Monstore." So we clambered up stairs to get it. I was trying to take a few pictures of our favourite pages for ...more
The Styling Librarian
Jul 08, 2013 The Styling Librarian rated it it was amazing
This week I get to celebrate Tara Lazar’s book The Monstore. It is illustrated by the talented James Burks.

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as my son who had to immediately flip, remind me, reread, and enjoy this book a few extra times. I love when a creative author and fantastic illustrator can get my son to belly laugh…

What would you do if you went to the Monstore to get a monster to scare your little sister and you don’t get the results you want… would you return the monster? What if you
Heidi
A delightful picture book full of humor and fun, The Monstore is imaginative and fun to read out loud. I tried this out on my nephew and he loved it. In fact he wanted me to read it again (he doesn't do that a lot, he actually seems to prefer a variety of books rather than the same ones over and over). I really enjoyed reading this one myself and plan to use it in my library in the fall. The text is creative and fun to read and the illustrations complement it perfectly. I'm a big fan of bright a ...more
D.peabody
Sep 12, 2013 D.peabody rated it it was amazing
When Zack finds the Monstore he discovers a wondrous place that sells all sorts of useful monsters. He decides that he needs a scary monster to keep his pesky sister out of his bedroom. Things don’t quite work out the way that Zack expected and he is dismayed to discover that store policy is No returns, No exchanges, No exceptions! Maybe another monster would help?

This is a fun story full of humour and imagination. The illustrations are just fantastic, they are bright with just the right hint of
Lia
Jun 17, 2013 Lia rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-picture
With Monsters University coming out in theaters soon, this is a great tie-in book about a boy who purchases a monster to keep away his little sister. But it seems that the monster likes his sister, so he purchases another, and another and another. Soon, monsters fill their house and they must figure out what to do. The illustrations are wonderful and the story is very cute - what to do with an annoying sibling, but with a postive outcome of sibling solidarity.
Jodie
Oct 30, 2013 Jodie rated it it was amazing
Delightful story of a brother who buys a monster to keep his sister away. He wants a refund because it didn't work. This story is really fun and I enjoyed how it ended. Great pictures and it doesn't have to be only told at Halloween.
Bailey
Jul 05, 2014 Bailey rated it it was amazing
This book was so cute! The illustrations were amazingly fun and colourful, and really helped add to the story. Definitely using this book in programming.
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Sep 29, 2012 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it it was amazing
Zack didn’t want his pest of a sister to come snooping into his room anymore. That’s why he went to the Monstore. To buy Manfred, who’s job is to keep little sisters away. Sadly, Manfred “doesn’t work”. Nor does Mookie or Mojo. Zack keeps buying monsters, but none of them do their job. What’s worse is that the Monstore has one policy – NO RETURNS. As the monsters keep piling up, Zack isn’t sure what to do.

Okay, I must honestly say that I wish I had a Monstore nearby. And I must honestly add that
W.
Sep 25, 2012 W. rated it it was amazing
Review - The Monstore by Tara Lazar, illustrated by James Burks is a delightfully quirky take on the age-old sibling battle.

As the older sister of a pesky younger brother, I can fully relate to Zack's dilemma of getting away from his sister's attentions. I remember always having to be the better child, since I was older and I "knew better." Younger siblings can take advantage of such things.

Zack heads to the Monstore to find a solution to his pesky little sister, Gracie, who never pays attention
Romelle
Jun 03, 2013 Romelle rated it it was amazing
My boys and I enjoyed this book immensely. What's not to love about a Monstore. I have 2 monsters on layaway now! Tara Lazar's language and word choice are superb. The Monstore makes a fun read aloud. Illustrator, James Burks, did an outstanding job of bringing the characters to life. Kids will have a field day thinking of the monsters they'd like to have. It may even encourage them to create monsters of their own and let their imagination soar. I can see this as a cartoon movie coming to a thea ...more
Cheryl
Jun 14, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
In the Monstore by Tara Lazar, Zack visits the Monstore to find a monster who will frighten away his pesky little sister. But things don't work out the way he planned. I loved the Monstore! It's a beautiful picture book. The title and art appealed to me before I even read the book. The writing is charming and humorous. The illustrations by James Burks are absolutely delightful. I highly recommend it.
Samma
Sep 04, 2013 Samma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
My niece is a huge monster fanatic at only four years old --and this was a sure-fire winner. The illustrations reminded me just a little bit of Craig McCrackin's Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends but thats were similarities end. These monsters are one-of-a-kind to The Monstore...but they never seem to work in the way you'd expect --just remember: no refunds, no exchanges, no exceptions.
Elaine
This book by debut author, Tara Lazar is fantastic! It will have any child who has had to deal with a pesky brother or sister laugh out loud. A funny read with brilliant illustrations. A bonus- as a second grade school teacher, I am tying it in with State Common Core Standards in ELA (Inferencing) and Art. You must get this book!
Jennifer Foeller
Oct 05, 2016 Jennifer Foeller rated it really liked it
Cute book about a boy who brings home monster after monster to frighten his little sister. He fails as it turns out his little sister likes scary monsters. What is little sister afraid of? A tiara and the shadow it casts.

Anyways, it's cute and silly. My 5 year old liked it and we read it a few times before it had to go back to the library.
Magila
Jul 07, 2013 Magila rated it really liked it
A unique story about a big brother, annoying little sister, and menagerie of monsters. This was well illustrated and a fun story with enough repetition to be useful to early readers. The boy and girl protagonist, and final message is certain to be applicable to a child of any gender.

Fun and colorful. Recommended.
The Book Box
Oct 19, 2014 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this book to me this evening. I couldn't stop looking at all the pictures of the colorful monsters! I kept looking across the page spreads as Mama read, and then we went through the book again just so I could look at the pictures! I also helped turn the pages.
Alison Pearce Stevens
Jun 04, 2013 Alison Pearce Stevens rated it it was amazing
I adore this--it's not your typical picture book. But when my eight-year-old discovered it, took it into another room for a few minutes, and bounded back into the kitchen shouting, "This book is AWESOME!" I knew we had a keeper.
Saba N  Taylor
Nov 11, 2013 Saba N Taylor rated it it was amazing
A fun and hilarious story about a brother who buys monsters to scare his little sister. There is one problem, it backfires on him. Now, he has to rescue his sister and her horde of misfit monster friends. Absolutely brilliant!
Debra
Jun 09, 2013 Debra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations and story are perfect together. I read this book on the last day of school. The kids were so animated, full of comments and giggles. They loved the line, "No returns! No exchanges! No exception!"
Jen Garrett
Oct 16, 2015 Jen Garrett rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. Simple story with amazing illustrations. Just what a picture book should be!
This is NOT a heavy message-driven picture book Or a deep plot your child could sink teeth into. This is a fun quick read that tells (almost) the entire story right in the title. :) Amazing right?
Lorna
Jun 05, 2013 Lorna rated it really liked it
Burks' pictures made this story work for me. A humorous and monsterly tale of one brother trying to get his sister to stop pestering him.
Jun 06, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, picture, 2013
A fun story with glorious illustrations!
Robyn
Jun 10, 2013 Robyn rated it it was amazing
Read it for a 2nd time last night, something tells me it will be chosen again tonight! LOVE the illustrations!
Sep 25, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
Love this book! My kids ask me to read it all rr time and I find my 6 year old playing it out in his room! Would make a great movie or Tv series!
Lynn  Davidson
May 20, 2014 Lynn Davidson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Having ‘met’ Tara Lazar on the Internet, mainly through her Picture Book Ideas Month (PiBoIdMo) challenge, I HAD to buy this book. The Monstore is her first published picture book and what a fantastic debut!

This picture book is gorgeous! Not only is it entertaining, it is full of delightful, colourful illustrations that cleverly keep the reader searching for more hidden little creatures. I admit I bought it for myself, but I shared some reading time with my eight-year-old grandson. We both had g
Not Your Ordinary Monster Book! 5 7 Aug 22, 2013 03:15AM
  • Carnivores
  • Dream Friends
  • Crankee Doodle
  • Ninja!
  • Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
Street magic performer. Award-winning ice sculptor. Hog-calling champion. These are all things Tara Lazar has never been. Instead, she prefers baking with her daughters, creating jewelry, and writing stories for children. THE MONSTORE is her first book, inspired by her pesky little brother (who is no longer so pesky). Tara has several picture books to be published in the coming years. I THOUGHT TH ...more
More about Tara Lazar...