Start by marking “A Big Guy Took My Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #19)” as Want to Read:
A Big Guy Took My Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #19)

A Big Guy Took My Ball! (Elephant & Piggie #19)

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  3,120 Ratings  ·  349 Reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In A Big Guy Took My Ball! Piggie is devastated when a big guy takes her ball! Gerald is big, too...but is he big enough to help his best friend?
Published May 21st 2013 by Disney-Hyperion (first published May 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Big Guy Took My Ball!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Big Guy Took My Ball!

midnightfaerie
Jul 08, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Once again, we love, love, love Mo Willems! This was a great one that held the attention of all my children, both the 5 yr old and my 3 yr old twins. Not enough words to merit a level one reader book but a wonderful story that's a fun read for both children and adults alike. Two thumbs up!
Becky
Jun 14, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: readin2013
I've enjoyed every Elephant and Piggie book Mo Willem has published. True, sometimes it's merely strong liking and not absolute LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. But the series as a whole are practically perfect in my estimation! Mo Willems does everything exactly right time and time again.

This adventure starts with Piggie telling Gerald a story. She found a ball, a big ball. It was the best ball ever. She was having so much fun until a "big guy" came and took "her" ball. It was AWFUL. Piggie is outraged. Gera
Jay
Jun 24, 2013 Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-picture-book
Mo Willems has always had a knack for complex expressions in cartoonish characters, but A Big Guy Took My Ball elevates this skill beyond anything we've seen from him before: Piggie's crushed, thousand-mile stare at the loss of her big ball (it was, after all, "SO FUN"), Gerald's righteous fury and eventual cowed reaction to the Big Guy in question, and the Big Guy's own wordless, slumping disappointment from his introduction are all marvelous.

Elephant and Piggie stories are always fantastic for
Betsy
Jun 19, 2013 Betsy rated it it was amazing
I read each new Elephant and Piggie book with a bit of trepidation: after all, how can Willems keep writing such wonderful stuff? Surely he's going to plateau here, right?

But no, he keeps on producing terrific new titles with these lovable characters. I love the simplicity of his art--like the pink cheeks on Gerald when he sees the "big guy" for the first time. I love the pacing in this book. I love the friendship dynamics between Elephant and Piggie and all their cronies. Willems just gets the
Brady Stevens
Dec 09, 2014 Brady Stevens rated it liked it
This is a great book that young kids starting in preschool to elementary school can relate with. This is a funny story of a playground mixup that the readers can easily relate themselves with. It is a clever book that teaches misunderstandings and conflicts.
Willems, M. (2013). A big guy took my ball! New York: Hyperion Books for Children.
Sara
A whale of a tale!
Kara
Jun 06, 2015 Kara added it
Shelves: children-s-lit

School Library Journal
( July 01, 2013; 9781423174912 )

PreS-Gr 1-Once again Willems observes truths about human behavior through the eyes of Gerald, an elephant, and Piggie. The premise this time is that Piggie's recently acquired ball has been snatched by some unknown creature, one so big that Piggie begs Gerald to intervene. But Gerald's perceived power and genuine desire to help his smaller friend cannot provide him with sufficient courage once he sees t
April
Jun 11, 2015 April rated it really liked it
1. Have you ever had someone take something that belonged to you? How did it make you feel? In this book "A big guy took my ball"
someone took piggies ball and he ask's Gerald to help him. We have been learning that the author writes the words and the illustrator draws the pictures. This is one of those special books where the author and illustrator is the same person! Does anyone remember reading "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" or "Don't let the Pigeon Stay Up Late"? The author an illustra
Heidi-Marie
What can I say? I love them more and more with each book. Best illustration: Piggie's broken heart. Favorite part: hard to pick. I have a few. I read it aloud to my roommate, because all E&P books must be read aloud. :-) One day I will be able to memorize some of these books and then enact them with my E&P toys. However, as cute as the toys are, I don't think they'll ever be as cute as the illustrations. Nor could I be as brilliant as the illustrations.

Great lesson at the end, too.

9/18/1
Shanna Hurd
May 24, 2013 Shanna Hurd rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Kids love Elephant and Piggie, and it is easy to understand why. In this latest book in the series, Piggie is upset because a "big guy" took the ball she had found. Gerald, a pretty big guy himself (being an elephant), offers to get her ball back. However, the "big guy" is even bigger than Gerald. Of course, appearances aren't what they first seemed, and a solution is found that makes everyone happy.

This book is great for children. With just a few words per page, beginning readers can feel conf
Morgan Logan
Mar 15, 2016 Morgan Logan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In this Piggie and Elephant story, the theme deals with friendship. Piggie gets “his” ball stolen by a BIG guy and Gerald tries to get it back for him. Gerald soon realizes that he’s not as big as the other guy and cannot get Piggies ball back. By the end of the story they realize the ball really wasn’t Piggies and it was the big guys (who was a whale) and they end up all playing together. This is a cute interactive story that I think many young children would enjoy. This book is written by Mo W ...more
Barbara
Beginning readers will enjoy being able to read this title on their own since many of the words are repeated but in an engaging way. Piggie approaches her friend Gerald with the news about how much fun it was to play with a big ball she found. But her fun ended too soon when some big guy took it away from her. It's Gerald to the rescue, all steamed up about looking out for his smaller friend--until he sees how big the other guy is. It turns out the ball belongs to a whale that is just looking fo ...more
Joan
Jun 23, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the series
As usual WIllems provides a twist that will surprise the kids even if the adults see it coming but he also throws in an additional twist that even the adults may find surprising. I read this really quickly so do need to go back and read more slowly to pick up the more subtle parts of the story.
Mary
May 24, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Here I thought piggie was being bullied but in actually he had a ball that didn't belong to him. The whale said to them you found my little ball. The whale was willing to share the ball because he said all the little guys have all the fun. Go figure!!
Polly
My favourite of the last few Elephant and Piggy books--it's cute, funny, and entirely kid-friendly, which I haven't always found, for example, "We are in a Book?!" to be.
Brenda Kahn
Jul 11, 2013 Brenda Kahn rated it really liked it
I adore Elephant and Piggie. Piggie found a very big ball and was playing with it when a big guy took it! Gerald is going to be a good friend and get it back for her. Or is he?
Kimberly
Jun 19, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
My love affair with eyeballs drawn by Mo Willems continues.
Edward Sullivan
May 29, 2013 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Big and small in perspective.
Laura McLoughlin
Jul 24, 2015 Laura McLoughlin rated it really liked it
One of my new favorite Elephant and Piggie books.
Rebecca
Aug 24, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Every Elephant & Piggie book is the best Elephant & Piggie book.
Selina
Sep 10, 2014 Selina rated it it was amazing
The book that I chose to do my picture book analysis was A Big Guy Took My Ball! The author is Mo Willems who as well did the illustrations for the book. The book is vertical and the cover page is colorful with two of the main characters, Gerald who is an elephant and Piggie who is a little pig. The cover of the book leads to expectations that someone took the ball, my thought was that the elephant had taken the little pigs ball, which once read you will find is not true.
In A Big Guy Took my B
Laura Magana
Nov 17, 2016 Laura Magana rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Summary:
A Big Guy Took My Ball is the story of how Gerald tries to get Piggie’s ball back from a “big guy.” After Piggie has a ball he loves playing with taken away from him by a “big guy,” he runs to Gerald in hopes that Gerald can retrieve the ball. At first, Gerald is determined to get Piggie his ball back without fulling understanding the situation. Gerald’s determination fades after he confronts the “big guy” and discovers that he is a whale. After speaking with the whale, Gerald and Piggie
Mackenzie Ford
Mar 24, 2016 Mackenzie Ford rated it really liked it
Title: A Big Guy Took My Ball!
Author: Mo Willems
Illustrator: N/A
Genre: Early Reader Book
Theme(s): Pig, Elephant, Friendship
Opening Line/Sentence: A big guy took my ball!

Brief Book Summary:
This well known series of friend’s elephant and piggy tackle the problem that a big animal has taken piggy’s ball. The elephant went to go get the ball back from the big guy but he returns with no ball because the big guy is much bigger than he is. Eventually the big guy turns out to be a whale and just wa
Laurie
Aug 23, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Paula
Feb 08, 2017 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clear, clear-group, 2017
Disclaimer: I don't speak Spanish and I don't claim to be able to read or write Spanish. That said, this appears to be a fairly competent Spanish Language translation of Mo Willems' A Big Guy Took My Ball! part of un libro de Elefante y Cerdita. The simple format and the repetition of Spanish words make this a great addition to the Spanish Language shelves and just right for beginning readers. As an added bonus, you learn that Gerald's name in Spanish is "Geraldo" and that just like "bigly", "gr ...more
Paisley
Jan 15, 2017 Paisley rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young readers, parents, siblings
Gerald and Piggie are the best of friends, and demonstrate their bond in the way they help and treat each other in Mo Willems books. A Big Guy Took My Ball! shows how friends stick up for one another and welcome others into their circle. Willems does a fantastic job illustrating the Big Guy in the story and an even better job of giving the characters their own voices with the way he uses the text.

To see what I mean, check out my video:
Storytime Sweetie presents A Big Guy Took My Ball!
James McIntosh
Jan 30, 2017 James McIntosh rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Families with young children
As an adult, I did not find this one quite as enjoyable as others in the series, but my son wanted it read over and over again. So in that case, I'd say it did its job as a children's book.
Rhyme Owens
Feb 09, 2017 Rhyme Owens rated it it was amazing
My favorite part was when the big whale said well, I am big!
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Bink and Gollie: Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • Ball
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Moo!
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!
  • A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
  • Tea Party Rules
  • Battle Bunny
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)