Start by marking “Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die” as Want to Read:
Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die

Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  827 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
"The Freakonomics of big data."
Stein Kretsinger, founding executive of Advertising.com; former lead analyst at Capital One

This book is easily understood by all readers. Rather than a "how to" for hands-on techies, the book entices lay-readers and experts alike by covering new case studies and the latest state-of-the-art techniques.

You have been predicted — by companies, g
Published February 19th 2013 by John Wiley & Sons (first published February 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Predictive Analytics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Predictive Analytics

Jay
Apr 04, 2013 Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: business, futurology
"Predictive Analytics" is a summary of the state of the art in using computer models to predict individuals actions. I work in the industry and have developed predictive financial models. This book isn't aimed at people like me, at least not ones looking for a more technical, how-to explanation. Instead, this is more a survey of the field, including plentiful real-world examples and some high-level definitions. The definitions of lift, ensemble modeling, and uplift modeling I found new and inter ...more
Robyn
Sep 17, 2015 Robyn rated it did not like it
Not thoughtfully written and shallowly propagandistic. It joins so much hype and adds little to the brimming pot. The last couple of chapters are more digestible, but still doesn't do much beyond illuminating the very basics of PA. Here's a bit of my review for book club:

I’ll start with positives: Love the suggestion that marketing departments that manufacture quasi-medical data should have to deal with it in a substantive way. That is a solution I haven’t heard proposed yet, but what if HIPAA,
Ann
Jun 10, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS by ERIC SIEGEL

Having no previous knowledge of predictive analytics, I was a little afraid this book might leave me bewildered. How wrong I was! My eyes were opened, my interest caught and held throughout this fascinating book.

There are many questions that come to mind when reading this book, but as you read on they are all very effectively answered by the author.

Predictive analytics are rooted in everyone’s daily lives and can have a substantial effect on their future actio
Paul DeBusschere
Aug 12, 2013 Paul DeBusschere rated it it was ok
This book is extremely introductory, which accounts for Siegel's 50,000-foot view of the topic. Yet, I came away feeling there could have been more details on the "how" of predictive analytics without destroying the book's aim of being an overview.

Rather than droning on about IBM's Watson, I thought Siegel could have spent a little more time explaining the logic behind building decision trees and preparing the training data. Instead, we get about 100 pages of fluff out of a 217-page text. A typ
Ron
Apr 07, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
This book discusses 5 Effects of predictive analytics:
• prediction effect: a little prediction goes a long way
• data effect: data is always predictive
• induction effect: art drives machine learning; when followed by computer programs, strategies designed in part by informal human creativity succeed in developing predictive models that perform well on new cases
• ensemble effect: when joined in an ensemble, predictive models compensate for another's limitations, so the ensemble as a whole is more
Frank Doosey
Aug 19, 2013 Frank Doosey rated it really liked it
Having taken (and taught) persuasion courses in college, it was very interesting to see how far the field has come and how openly it has embraced technology. PA is a much larger field than I had imagined. Its uses, for both good AND evil, offer a lot of insight on ourselves and others, and how we unwittingly give ourselves away more than we think.
Shawn Buckle
Jul 19, 2014 Shawn Buckle rated it really liked it
As more and more companies try to harness the power of 'Big Data' - the latest business buzz word - books like Siegel's are helpful to get a grasp on just what it is. This book is less 'how to' than an attempt to explain what it is, and how it can work for you, with the latter point venturing a bit too close to hucksterism at times (hey, it is Siegel's field). Siegel does a good job explaining how valuable data is and convinces us that with smart, predictive modeling, data can change how we mark ...more
Derek
Nov 26, 2014 Derek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book was full of great examples and was written in a humorous and approachable way. I am somewhat confused by the reviews that say The Signal and The Noise by Nate Silver was better - I found that book desperately in need of an editor. The focus of The Signal and the Noise was also broader, explaining basic statistics, correlation vs. causation, etc. Predictive Analytics was a focused book filled with examples of PA being used successfully.

The cover art is awful and the font size a bit too
Caroline Caldwell
Aug 18, 2015 Caroline Caldwell rated it really liked it
This was a good overview of the way machine learning is used to improve decision making across a wide range of disciplines from medical, marketing, and politics. It is written in choppy sequences that are separated by quotes, some of the quotes are actually just songs that the author made up. The intended audience of the book is not scientist level. But as an introduction to the field it is very good, and I could see how the methods I know could be used to make these models, even though the auth ...more
John
Good overall view of what predictive analytics is about, however it doesn't get technical (which I think is perfect for the target demographic of this book). One part had me chuckle a bit while being simultaneously annoyed--he is talking about the future of PA, and happens to mention electric cars; he then says these ubiquitous electric cars of the future could warn us when they will need maintenance, by saying things such as "I predict my carburetor will fail in the next 3 weeks, take me in to ...more
Eka Aulia
Apr 16, 2013 Eka Aulia rated it really liked it
Shelves: analytics
It's an easy reading book for quite heavy topic. Even though most of the topics are not new to me but at least it taught me how to explain predictive analytics in easy term.

One thing that I learn most is the last chapter about uplift modeling: not predicting the response, but only focusing those who can be influence through contact.

Overall, it's a recommended book for business leaders who wants to double or triple their ROE using analytics.
Hourann Bosci
Jul 29, 2014 Hourann Bosci rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The content is actually a good, high-level, non-technical overview of the field and the ways data can be used in business.

But the writing. Oh goodness, the writing. So many paragraphs feel like the work of a high-schooler just out of "essays 101". Chapters begin with word clouds and quotes (which normally make me shy from a book), and some of those quotes are from the author! I had to force myself to make it to the end.
GodLike
Jan 03, 2014 GodLike rated it really liked it
A rather interesting book that outlines different prediction methods, but he never gets into the mathematical aspect of predictive analytics. Overall it's a great book for beginners getting into the field and contains ample amounts of information regarding predictions. It also gets into what predictive analytics is being used for today and by what types of companies. It was a rather enlightening read on the subject.
Peter
Aug 05, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-cash
You've probably heard the story of a Target store figuring out a teenager was pregnant before her family did, and you may have seen Watson beat Ken Jennings at Jeopardy. You may even have some knowledge of A/B testing. This book not only explains how these work -- without getting technical, but with conceptual clarity -- but shows a vast array of related applications.
Toka Western
Jun 22, 2015 Toka Western rated it did not like it
000 stars! what horrifying writing, the middle school me wrote better essays than this guy. I couldn't go pass 8% of this book before quiting. why can't he just stay on point and rationally dissect each point one by one instead of floating all over the place and being lost in his long winded sentences. Dude, maybe you need a crash course in writing in tue social sciences.
Dani
Aug 26, 2014 Dani rated it really liked it
This is a nice, entertaining book that gives someone an overview about what big data analytics are and how they can be used. it is written so that a novice can understand. I enjoyed the quirky quotes and the various case studies. That said, this book will not help someone who wants to delve deeper into how to actually create these algorithms.
Kevin R.
Jun 17, 2015 Kevin R. rated it it was amazing
Most books on topics such as this tell you why it is cool but not how it is done. This book tells you how and why it is done. Well done.
Ezra
May 22, 2014 Ezra rated it it was ok
Okay at best. He clearly knows his stuff and has great experience to talk about. He also chooses interesting examples of predictive modeling that he hasn't worked on. But his style is self-absorbed and immature. If you are in the business, you will get something out of reading his book, but you probably won't enjoy it.
David
Dec 07, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Siegel's jokey and friendly tone help make this a simple "beginners guide" to PA. by breaking down the often complicated concepts with colloquial language and providing real-life case studies, it becomes an easier read than it should be a good crash course in the basic applications and tenants of predictive analytics.
Justin Cole
Apr 04, 2015 Justin Cole rated it it was amazing
As someone new to machine learning and predictive analytics, this book was a fantastic and accessible overview of all of the major concepts in PA - decision trees, uplift modeling, and the ensemble effect. This is a great read for anyone potentially interested in this emerging field!
Juanmi
Feb 25, 2016 Juanmi rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
- Re-read: no
- Grade: 3

As a PhD candidate in text mining… I can’t say I learnt much from this book. However, I still strongly recommend it for say lay men. The book is written in a vibrant tone, making you care. You will learn tons from it.

I didn’t know Nate Silver. It was good to know about his work on the Obama re-election, and the power that statistics and data predictions can have in our lives. Deciding our most primitives desires and life turning points.

Also a reminder for me: I need to wor
TIn Aung Lin
Sep 13, 2015 TIn Aung Lin rated it it was amazing
Been through a journey and success stories of predictive models of some famous Corporation. Got this instinct that we can save million bucks if we could do something more wiser which seems quiet small compared to the business operation.
Willis
Feb 04, 2014 Willis rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book as much as Nate Sliver's The signal and the noise book. The two both cover the topic of prediction but this book is more narrowly focused on the idea of predictive analytics. Siegel's book discusses a lot of different applications but there is not enough meat to the examples to really understand what is being done to build the analytical model for the particular application. So this would be a good book for someone to learn of different areas to which analytics can be app ...more
Patrick
Mar 30, 2013 Patrick rated it it was ok
I wish I could have predicted how much I would dislike this book. After reading just one chapter of Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise this book comes across as amateurish. Too much noise, not enough signal.
Brian
Oct 06, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Great layman's version of who is gathering what about YOU.
Serves to further Orwell and other genius dystopians who saw the writing on the wall before there was any writing on the wall.
Alex
Aug 28, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing
Amazing introduction to the world of Big Data and predictive analytics. I didn't have much knowledge/experience previously, but this book provoked interest in me.
Christine Savchenko
Dec 22, 2015 Christine Savchenko rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Recommended to everyone curious about new methods to analyze people's daily activities and opportunities to influence on people lives in different spheres.
Kevin Mackey
Feb 09, 2015 Kevin Mackey rated it really liked it
Good, accessible introduction to what may be the most underused tool in today's business world: predictive analytics
Fraser Cook
Oct 26, 2014 Fraser Cook rated it really liked it
Accessible and interesting introduction into to predictive analytics/data mining.
Rusi Kolev
Apr 30, 2014 Rusi Kolev rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
A bit overwhelming, but I plan on finishing it ;)
  • Competing on Analytics: The New Science of Winning
  • Data Smart: Using Data Science to Transform Information into Insight
  • Data Science for Business: What you need to know about data mining and data-analytic thinking
  • Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis
  • Mining the Social Web: Analyzing Data from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Other Social Media Sites
  • Python for Data Analysis
  • Data Analysis with Open Source Tools
  • Predictive Analytics: Microsoft Excel
  • Think Stats
  • The Art of R Programming: A Tour of Statistical Software Design
  • Machine Learning for Hackers
  • Learning From Data: A Short Course
  • Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability & Science of Customer Centricity [With CDROM]
  • Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques (Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems)
  • 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
  • Introduction to Data Mining
  • The Wide Lens
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen. —Earl Wilson” 2 likes
“People Get Sick and Die I’m not afraid of death; I just don’t want to be there when it happens.” 0 likes