Start by marking “Whispering Stone (Whispers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whispering Stone (Whispers, #1)

Whispering Stone (Whispers #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Tori just got a gargoyle for her birthday, only she doesn't know it yet.

No one knows when the Whispers arrived. They are invisible spirits with the power to move stone, and no one knows why they are here. They can be the stone angel in your yard or the supporting pillar of your home. Shattered pieces of their statues have revealed nothing, for their souls simply move to an
Published January 8th 2013 by Infinity Dreamt (first published December 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Whispering Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispering Stone

Lindsay
Mar 29, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Whispering Stone is a immensely enjoyable urban fantasy book. Tori is a headstrong teenager, prone to fighting and challenging authority when one day a mysterious gargoyle starts following her around.

The story unfolds quickly, but maintains tension throughout. The concept of spirits moving through stone is a unique one that kept me intrigued. The mystery of where they come from, who (or what) they are kept me turning the page.

Tori's evolution is compelling. She starts out as a loner but througho
Sylvia
Jan 26, 2015 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Whispers series by S.J. Wist. I wasn't sure what to expect when I read this book, but I ended up liking it a lot. It was a great read with some interesting plot twists and some interesting ideas.

I really enjoyed the plot pace of this book, it starts out quick-paced and keeps to it. It was incredibly engaging and very easy to read. Tori is a very realistic and likable character.

The story ties up well but really leaves you wanting to know more. As a reader I really wa
Denice
Sep 13, 2012 Denice marked it as to-read
Gargoyle? Really?
Kit Kat
3.5 Stars

I got this book as an ARC from Goodreads First Reads.

Although the book was very poorly written, the story itself was entertaining enough to keep me reading. The plot went at a nice, fast pace and there were some parts that made me laugh out loud.

Sometimes though, I didn't get what the characters were laughing about. They didn't even make a single joke, but one of the characters laughed like it was the funniest thing ever said. I found this a bit strange and kind of annoying.

Speaking o
Morgan
Jun 22, 2016 Morgan rated it it was ok
Shelves: okay-ish
The premise of this book was quite good, and I found myself immersed in Wist's worldbuilding. The entire book reminded me of a Doctor Who episode, except this time the Weeping Angels are actually pretty nice guys.

I only gave this book 2 stars because of the original idea and worldbuilding. In all honesty, those were the only two things I liked about this book. In my opinion, it seems that Wist was in a huge hurry to write the book. Every single scene seems rushed, and when the action hits, it's
Lexi (Pink Jellyfish)
"Whispering Stone" brings into view the story of the mysterious "Whispers". I have to admit that the characters are built in an original world that finds itself on the verge of an "Apocalypse".

All in all, the characters are amazing but sometimes I found myself wondering why the author revealed important details in such a rush(it felt like the time was tik-toking towards a finish).

Although we find out that Vincent is, well no surprise there, a bad guy I really like him(well, I'm the kind of girl
Sammy Smith
Nov 18, 2014 Sammy Smith rated it liked it

I’ve been reading more YA books recently, and this is a great addition to my collection.
Tori is a relatable character who is the epitome of a modern teenager: headstrong, doesn’t think when she speaks and challenges authority. Initially a bit of a loner, but she grows into a strong and confident young woman.

I loved the fact that this was different from the norm – we had a gargoyle rather than the tried and tested vampires and werewolves. I enjoyed the way the author skillfully drops hints and t
Vera
Jan 20, 2013 Vera rated it liked it
In my opinion, gargoyles are scary and why would a teenager get one for her birthday? And why would she like it? Although, I do know for a fact that they are sometimes used to scare off evil (I have seen some in cathedrals which still scares me). I like the premise of the book though about the whispers and how some people are gifted to hear them. I think the book needs more details in some aspects of it. I’m interested to see what will happen in the next book though. I wanted to know what happen ...more
Malissa
Jun 15, 2014 Malissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, romance, drama
Great story idea... poor execution. I felt like a rock skipping across the surface of this story. Details and even whole chunks of important scenes were left out or barley grazed over. Too bad because the big picture plot had real potential. It just needed detail and emotion to hold it all together. Severely lacking in romance to be classified as such with only two kisses in the entire book.
Tia
Jan 15, 2013 Tia rated it liked it
I've never read any novels by this author before, so I had no clue what to expect. It was a bit confusing and for me and my experiences, poorly written at quite a few points. Despite all of that, I was slightly amused with the novel and I can say I will give the next installment in this series a chance, despite everything else stated above.
Shelly
Jan 13, 2013 Shelly rated it it was amazing
WOW! LOVED IT I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN TILL I FINISHED IT. AMAZON!!!!
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Brittany DeLaBarrera
Brittany DeLaBarrera marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Abbygayle Virginia
Abbygayle Virginia marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Marcella
Marcella rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Orgeleuse
Orgeleuse marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Alana Lynch
Alana Lynch marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Renato Dantas
Renato Dantas marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Salwa
Salwa marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Kay Seratin
Kay Seratin marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Beck
Beck marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Jiap
Jiap marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
  • Spirit Binder (The Cascadian Chronicles #1)
  • Word and Breath (Wordless Chronicles, #1)
  • Timeless (Transcend Time, #2)
  • Dominion (Guardian Angels, #1)
  • Wicked Fate (Wicked, #1)
  • Death and Other Excuses
  • Dark Seraphine (Seraphine Trilogy, #1)
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
  • Bonded
  • Hunting
  • Myriad (Prentor, #1)
  • Grace
  • Tokyo Hearts
S.J. Wist is a fantasy author, reviewer, and an artist on the side. Addicted to books, blogs, chocolate mint ice cream, and all things creative. She lives in Toronto, Canada.

More about S.J. Wist...

Whispers (2 books)
  • Shattered Guardians (Whispers, #2)