I Will Marry When I Want

I Will Marry When I Want

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This is the renowned play which was developed with Kikuyu actors at the Kamiriithu Cultural Centre at Limuru. It proved so powerful, especially in its use of song, that it was banned and was probably one of the factors leading to Ngugi's detention without trial. The original Gikuyu edition went to three printings in the first three months of publication.
Published January 1st 1982 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about I Will Marry When I Want, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Will Marry When I Want

Things Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradCry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
Africa
303rd out of 836 books — 697 voters
Hamlet by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeMacbeth by William ShakespeareRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareA Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
Best Plays Ever
418th out of 511 books — 654 voters

More lists with this book...

Betsy
This was the play Ngugi wa Thiongo was imprisoned for writing and performing. It does a good job showing the conflict between families who get ahead and those who aren't able to due to their positions. I would think about teaching this with A Raisin in the Sun - interesting parallel possibilities.
Varyanne Sika
This play is, according to some historians, one of the factors that lead to Ngugi wa Thiongo's detention without trial.

The play is a Marxist one and doesn't hold any punches. Subtlety was a foreign word during those post independence times and understandably so.
There is palpable anger and bitterness throughout the play towards the capitalist system inherited by businessmen and political leaders from colonialists. Missionaries and their Christianity are not spared.

Land is stolen, wages are disgus...more
Mugo
Apr 11, 2010 Mugo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in understanding post-colonial kenya
Ngûgî is good. now i understand why the play was banned. the message is in short: we fought for the liberation of our nation, to get back our land, but then what happened in 1963? the oppressors, land grabbers changed color from white to black, period. most of the aspirations of the freedom fighters were perverted by the newly found imperialish ex-homeguards. they put on the bequeathed religious cloak to hide their true wolf-in-sheepskin selves. sadly for them, they remain just watchdogs for the...more
Nicole Gervasio
Smart and uplifting. Perhaps it's not the most feminist play in the world, but it very movingly portrays one Kenyan family's moral dissolution in the aftermath of colonial liberation. It also hopefully and thoughtfully examines the nostalgia felt for lost cultural traditions and national identity.
Daniel
Thiong'o is perhaps the most well-known Kikuyu author. This well-written play was my first from him to read. It impressively covered a wide array of prescient issues to life in Kenya: marriage, Christianity, corruption, Mau Mau, poverty, foreign investment, etc. An important read!
Phillip
While there are intriguing aspects to this play, I feel it's message is thrust upon the audience rather than being developed subtly. I know that's inherent to literature engagee, but it doesn't really do much for me.
Sharon Kamau
This is a book i can relate to. Ngugi wa Thiongo has timeless classics based on such real events!
Beth78
Jul 11, 2012 Beth78 added it
Great read! Its the typical struggle between African society and the Western World!
Antonios Curation
A' Level literature - to re-read
Joy Onyekpe
Joy Onyekpe marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Samuel Adzaka
Samuel Adzaka marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Hanzistin
Hanzistin marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Precious Lebasha
Precious Lebasha marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Precious
Precious marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Durene
Durene marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Mussa Nkosi
Mussa Nkosi marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Adriel Maccay
Adriel Maccay marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Kailani
Kailani marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Daniel Mshillah
Daniel Mshillah marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
relevance 1 2 Aug 10, 2013 01:57AM
51936
Kenyan teacher, novelist, essayist, and playwright, whose works function as an important link between the pioneers of African writing and the younger generation of postcolonial writers. After imprisonment in 1978, Ngũgĩ abandoned using English as the primary language of his work in favor of Gikuyu, his native tongue. The transition from colonialism to postcoloniality and the crisis of modernity ha...more
More about Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o...
A Grain of Wheat Wizard of the Crow The River Between Weep Not, Child Petals of Blood

“If poverty was to be sold three cents today, i can't buy it.” 17 likes