Start by marking “Queen Eleanor: Independent Spirit of the Medieval World” as Want to Read:
Queen Eleanor: Independent Spirit of the Medieval World
Preview

Queen Eleanor: Independent Spirit of the Medieval World

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Accused of being a demon by those who could not tolerate her independence, Eleanor of Aquitaine made her mark as one of the most dynamic and extraordinary figures of the Middle Ages. Born in 1122, Eleanor refused to be confined by the traditional gender roles of her time. She became well educated, gaining political and governing know-how from her father, William X, duke of ...more
Published October 25th 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published June 30th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Queen Eleanor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen Eleanor

Christina Sesok
I don't know a whole lot about Eleanor of Aquitaine, so I can't speak definitively as to the accuracy of this book. That is why I picked this book though, it was a nice, short biography, just enough to give me a basic idea as to who Eleanor was and what she did.

As a whole, I found the book to be short, sweet and to the point. It was basically just the facts with no implications or interpretation of the facts. While usually I don't like this, I found it pleasurable, but only because I don't know
Chow
Loved this book! I found out in December through family history that I'm a descendent of Queen Eleanor. I had a daughter last month and named her Eleanor, after Queen Eleanor, our ancestor.

I read this book to know more about who she was and wow! I picked a great lady to name my daughter after!!!

Great read!
Jen
This is a good beginning point for those who are interested in Eleanor of Aquitaine. I realize that this was written with a young audience in mind, so there are no footnotes and references and very few primary source quotes. Unfortunately, the writing is thin, factual, and leads the reader into very little "flavor" of the period.
Melissa
Written for children, I very much enjoyed this book even as an adult. It was a very interesting story no matter what, but she writes in a way that's easy to understand and creates an exciting narrative. Sometimes you learn the most from what is simply stated.
B
I do love history- what an interesting female leader in a time of male dominance.
Queen Eleanor lived until she was 81 and had 10 kids wow!
Suzanne
Quick, easy intro to Eleanor of Aquitaine and the other players of that time period. Good jumping off point for more thorough study of Eleanor, France, and England in the Middle Ages.
Malcolm Ewing
A good short overview of the long and illustrious life of the great Eleanor of Aquitaine.
AJ
Required 10 grade AP reading.

I took detailed notes on this book. I dreaded reading it, but was a little surprised. Hated the beginning, because the writing was so straight forward and encyclopedia-style, but I ended up liking it. A little girly, but that doesn't bother me :)

It was ok. I won't read it again, hopefully.
Read this in less than a day, it's a good quick introduction for anyone unfamiliar with Eleanor of Aquitaine. Details are a bit sparse in sections, but it's not a bad way to spend a lazy afternoon. Especially good for those who just want facts about her to have an idea of who Eleanor was before delving into more detailed books.
Alexis
This is a very short, simple biography. There is virtually no analysis of the facts and it is clearly written for a young reader, but it does give a good, broad overview of Eleanor's life. It is enough to make me want to learn more about her at some point and consider more critical analyses of her decisions and adventures.
Devon Williams
Oct 24, 2014 Devon Williams rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, feminists
Recommended to Devon by: Schmalhofer
Had to read this for 10 pre-AP Language Arts.
I was neither bored nor interested by this book. I could stand to read a few chapters a time due to their brevity, but I found my mind would wander incessantly. I hope I don't forget everything by August.
Amelia
Jul 20, 2007 Amelia added it
I read this book for my first semester project for Mr. Rourke (I survived!!) and I ended up really loving it. It was written in such a compelling way that I actually looked forward to reading it.
Éowyn
Short, consice biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine. Doesn't go into much details of have much by way of analysis. Fairly simplistic at times.
Debbie
This is on par with a high school reader but I loved reading about this era and led me to other books about this time period.
Sam Blizzard
More interesting than I thought it would be. Now I'm interested in reading other biographies of English Royalty.
Haley Cornett
Way better then I thought it was going to be. I should read more history books! I loved it, very intersting!
Tori Amos
Not bad for a biography, which usually aren't my thing, but it was incredibly boring.
Taylor
I'm not a real big fan of nonfiction... especially biographies.
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Polly Schoyer Brooks lives in New Canaan, Connecticut, where she enjoys her four children, ten grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.
More about Polly Schoyer Brooks...
Beyond the Myth: The Story of Joan of Arc Cleopatra: Goddess of Egypt, Enemy of Rome World of Walls When the World Was Rome, 753 B.C. to 476 A.D. The World Awakes: The Renaissance in Western Europe