Start by marking “Alcatraz (Alcatraz, #1-4)” as Want to Read:
Alcatraz (Alcatraz, #1-4)

Alcatraz (Alcatraz #1-4)

I am not a good person.

My purpose is to show you the truth about me, and to prove that I am not the hero that everyone says I am.

In the Hushlands — those Librarian-controlled nations such as the United States, Canada, and England—this book will be published as a work of fantasy.

Do not be fooled! This is no work of fiction, nor is my name really Brandon Sanderson.

I know th
Paperback, Omnibus Edition, 759 pages
Published September 2012 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Alcatraz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alcatraz

Yvonne Boag
Apr 05, 2013 Yvonne Boag rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I knew I wanted to read this book when I opened to the title page to find the first book was called Alcatraz verses the evil librarians but I put off reading it because it has a really, really bad cover. Finally I sat down one night to read it and didn't expect to get very far. But I was wrong and the very first line proved this to me. "So, there I was, tied to an altar made from outdated encyclopaedias, about to get sacrificed to the dark powers by a cult of evil librarians." And it just got ...more
Mattheus J
Sep 26, 2015 Mattheus J rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was exciting and daring. This a perfect book for people who don't want to get all the books just one. This books is all the books in one.

Alcatraz Smedry is a regular boy but he breaks any thing he touches. Then he find out that his talent is breaking. and his grandpa tells him and brings him home. On the way home he runs into the evil librarians and he has to save the world. Once at home will he become a legend or will he crash and burn.
Alya Al M
Jan 28, 2015 Alya Al M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I know it is supposed to be a children's book, but I loved it. In a way it is like Harry Potter's books, but not like it at all at the same time. Brandon Sanderson is the best...
Molokov
Oct 20, 2016 Molokov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of 4 books is a breath of fresh air to me - light, silly, funny, snarky, and yet presents a very well developed world with an ongoing plot of intrigue spanning the series. Given that this is my introduction to Brandon Sanderson, I'm hoping that if I ever get around to reading his more serious fantasy works, I'll be able to make the transition and won't miss the humour that this series has. Highly recommended, and suitable for teens too!
Freelfe
Dec 31, 2015 Freelfe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ma chronique : http://freelfe.blogspot.fr/2015/10/al...

Dans ce livre qui ne paraît pas si épais mais qui fait pas moins de 984 pages, sont réunis les quatre tomes de la tétralogie Alcatraz Smedry de Brandon Sanderson. En vente aux Editions Le Livre de Poche à 16,90 cette intégrale n’est donc pas très épaisse grâce à ses pages très fines. Si fines qu’on voit même les traces de ce qui est écrit de l’autre côté. Ça, c’est le petit bémol avec le fait que vous tourniez plus souvent deux pages en même
Alex Boon
Oct 15, 2016 Alex Boon rated it really liked it
A little strange but really rather enjoyable. looking forward to the final instalment.
Gillian Bronte Adams
Jan 24, 2016 Gillian Bronte Adams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
While reading this book, I almost died ... from laughter.

See what I did there? I started with a slightly deceptive hook that drew you in, made you want to keep reading, and then I dropped the truth like a loaded baked potato.

Splat.

Hilarious, isn't it?

That my friends, is what it's like to read The Complete Alcatraz by Brandon Sanderson. He breaks every single rule there is, cracks jokes about the writing profession, famous books, and authors in general, and reveals all the secrets of the novel wr
NovelBlogLover
Aug 15, 2016 NovelBlogLover rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Complete Alcatraz collects the whole series of Brandon Sanderson young adult novels including Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener’s Bones, Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia and Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens.

These novels follow the adventures of the 13 year old boy Alcatraz Smedry and his discovery of who he really is along with the truth behind the false facade that is the world we know.

The series is narrated in the first person by the protagonist
Tiffany
Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians: This story had all the elements that a book should not have, which made my niece and I want to just keep reading. The "author" talked to the reader, pointed out facts, made up things, used the word blah as a filler and we just giggled! Can't wait to see where book 2 takes us.

Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones: This book is cracking me up. In fact my nephew heard the niece and I giggling so much that he had to come in and listen. Again, this book had all the e
Lara
I already reviewed each of the four books in this series on their own, but I figured I'd review this one too, because this is the edition I ended up buying. So at first, I was not a fan. I did not really love Alcatraz at first, and there's so much absurdity! I just didn't totally get it at first. And then it suddenly all clicked and I found the rest of the series really smart and really fun and really hilarious. This series is certainly not one of Sanderson's more popular ones, but...it's ...more
Rachel Barnicoat
Jun 28, 2014 Rachel Barnicoat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This Omnibus contains:
Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians
Alcatraz vs the Scrivener's Bones
Alcatraz vs the Knights of Crystallia
Alcatraz vs the Shattered Lens

Imagine Douglas Adams and Jasper Fforde could SOMEHOW conceive a child, and that child could become a writer with exactly half of his/her' respective fathers writing style - this would be the book they would write.

While this book technically consists of 4 books, I ripped through them as if they were one. I NEEDED to know what happened next. I lo
Amelia
Mar 02, 2015 Amelia rated it it was amazing
Written in a totally different style then most Sanderson novels this one reads more like a Terry Prachett or Douglas Adams novel with its weird tangents and unique writing style. As one person who I was talking to put it "Brandon Sanderson just put all his writing angst into one book." (or really a series of books) If you are reading this series for the first time I would not read the Omnibus because skipping to to last page in one of the books is pretty impossible (yes that is really needed to ...more
Jara Ket
Aug 27, 2013 Jara Ket rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Actually, it is 4 books in an omnibus.

Yes, they are technically kids' stories. Yes, some of the humor is corny, simplistic and juvenile. But the books are fun, full of smart references and in-jokes, and there are kernels of very deep and confronting truth about people and the world embedded in there. The world in which the events of the story are played out is very well conceived and feels genuine, the implications all thought out. Plus, the author loves playing tric
Rebecca Jane
Apr 01, 2016 Rebecca Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians: Four stars.
This book was so funny and fun in general. Brandon Sanderson took everything we thought we knew about storytelling and threw it out the window.

Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones: Four stars.
This book just got straight into it, and I loved the whole Library of Alexandria plot line. Once again the writing was extremely clever and hilarious.

Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia: Four stars.
While this one was a bit slower getting into, I thoroug
Vorbis
Oct 23, 2013 Vorbis added it
Shelves: didn-t-click
So not quite did-not-finish, this book isn't badly written by any means.

The stylistic choice however is driving me nuts. I hate the narrator talking to me style, I hate the choice of Librarians being the big bad, the descriptions of the Other World that is so much more advanced than ours... everything in this is trying for funny and hitting annoying. If it were short I'd just roll through it and see if it gets better, but it's a giant brick of a book and I hate every single character in it so fa
Jiten
Feb 21, 2016 Jiten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, re-reads
Alcatraz is wonderfully funny and witty set of books, as soon as I read the first chapter I didn't want to stop.

Sanderson goes though the books breaking all sorts of fantasy writing rules and I love the book for them, and again with Sanderson the magic system in these books is just amazing, taking things that we would consider a curse like breaking things when you touch them or arriving late to everything becomes the most powerful gifts a person can have. But its not only the way gifts are used
Gary
Jun 17, 2013 Gary rated it liked it
Seriously a book written to annoy the reader. This is explained over and over that the only reason it was written was to annoy you!
He lies, he writes whole pages that aren't real and even tells you to tear out pages and then stick them in somewhere else.
Infuriating.

And yet, fantastic ideas, couldn't stop reading the damnable thing.
Denae Christine
Love these! Very sarcastic, very clever problem solving and witty dialogue, and very fast-paced. Great characters and world and magic system (glasses are cool! Er, I mean, occulator's lenses are cool.).

I am really excited for the fifth book, though I thought it was cool to end a series without the climax.

(And now there's a sixth one, and I'm full of joy!)
Erin-Claire
Nov 14, 2014 Erin-Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-fantasy
A fun read, interesting and has the usual Sanderson uniqueness! Spent the whole four books waiting for Alcatraz to do something to prove he's as awful as he's been saying for four books, was a bit disappointed and felt like I'd invested too much into the books, as this thread wasn't followed through.
Jon
Oct 20, 2015 Jon rated it it was amazing
Charming, engaging, chuckle inducing. I found it hard to put down. Much to my chagrin, when Alcatraz wrote about people staying up too late reading just one more chapter, I found each time it was past midnight. And I still kept reading.
Amy
Jan 15, 2016 Amy added it
Shelves: dnf
It is with a heavy heart that I mark this as DNF. I tried, so hard. I read the first book and relatively enjoyed it. But I have been absolutely struggling with this second book. This just isn't for me.
Aubrey Hinchman
May 01, 2013 Aubrey Hinchman rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!! Yet, contains a tad of stupidity and foolishness, which I love. Alcatraz is the funniest author I have ever read. EVER.
Carlin
Aug 25, 2013 Carlin rated it really liked it
My 11 and 13 year old love these books. They quote them all of the time. I think they are clever, but the remarks like, "go back and read that chapter again, etc" wear on me...
Minna Mustakallio
Feb 12, 2014 Minna Mustakallio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Alcatraz books but at the same time they frustrated me - beloved author was being mr Smartpants a bit too often!
Catyj
Apr 07, 2013 Catyj rated it really liked it
This series is fun to read for the self-depreciating and quirky humour. I especially enjoyed the chapter numbering of bk 4 - "NCC-1701" was my favourite.
Jeannette
Mar 06, 2013 Jeannette rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Brilliant, daft, fun and exciting. Read my full review here: http://www.jetowey.com/2013/03/the-co...
Melody
Melody rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Daniel Aguirre
Daniel Aguirre rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Bryan Woo
Bryan Woo rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
  • The Avatar Battle (Cragbridge Hall, #2)
  • Strike of the Sweepers (Janitors, #4)
  • Troll Mountain: Episode III (Troll Mountain, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Age of Godpunk: Collecting Age of Anansi, Age of Satan and Age of Gaia
  • Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Wonkenstein (The Creature from My Closet, #1)
  • Upload
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Harper Madigan: Junior High Private Eye
  • Ildprøven (Vildheks, #1)
  • Buffalo Gal
  • Dinner at Deadman's
  • The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Penelope Crumb
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Alcatraz (6 books)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens (Alcatraz, #4)
  • The Dark Talent (Alcatraz, #5)
  • Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians: The Worldspire (Alcatraz, #6)