Start by marking “The Handler (Mindjack Origins, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Handler (Mindjack Origins, #2)

The Handler (Mindjack Origins #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  21 reviews
SHORT NOVELLA

It's time for Julian Navarro to fulfill the mission left to him by his dead parents: to spark a revolution that would allow mindjackers to live freely in a mindreading world. While his ability allows him to mentally control the instincts of others, Julian wants to win jackers to his cause with words, not weapons. But when his first recruit has a secret--and bl...more
Published August 30th 2012 (first published August 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Handler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Handler

Diana Febry
I received a free copy of this short book for my review. My review is an honest opinion and I do not know the author.
I was very impressed with the writing style. It was clear and concise and easy to read. At no point did the writing get in the way of the story or draw attention to itself which is something I like. I also felt the pace of the story was spot on.
I understand the book is part of a series which I have not read. The book could be read in isolation but it has made me want to read at...more
Sher A. Hart
The Handler is a short but exciting read, just the right amount and flavor to make my mouth water for more. Even though SF is my favorite genre, I don't give many 5 star ratings. But Susan has created a world of mindreaders vs. mindjackers that keeps me interested in the characters as well as the technology, and she never fails to throw a curve.

I wished I could peek into the mind of this handler, a jacker with the special ability to manipulate emotions, in Closed Hearts. I got the good guy vibe...more
Sara
This was a good short story about Julian. He is a mindjacker that refers to his talent as a Handler. he is the only one he knows of that is like him. he can manipulate instincts by going directly into your mind and changing them.

In his story, him and his sister Anna are cleaning up a warehouse to ready it for the mindjackers they hope to recruit to bring about a revolution. An uninvited guest shows up, named Serena, that claims she wants to join his Clan, and she has an ability that is almost l...more
Sheila
How would it feel to read minds, to see emotions in color, to manipulate thoughts? How tempting would it be to use such powers for ill? And how quickly would the authorities try to appropriate such skills for themselves once they appeared?
Susan Kay Quinn’s novella, The Handler, doesn’t answer all the questions, but it lets the reader see through a different pair of eyes, think from a different background and history, and enter a different world. With beautiful writing, vivid imagination, fast ac...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
So, so happy to have the chance to tell you about these two short novellas (The Handler, The Scribe) that go along with the Mindjack Series by Susan Quinn. I have reviewed the first two novels, Open Minds and Closed Hearts here on my blog. I loved them.

I just love when authors give us these novellas. For me, it serves two roles. First, it feeds me need to read more in between the actual full length novels. A little snack at intermission. :) Second, it gives me a glimpse into the lives, emotions...more
Heather
The Handler started off a little choppy to me, probably because it's been awhile since I've read Closed Hearts, but it fell into place pretty quickly. In the Mindjacking world, where this new ability has just been outed, one can never be too careful. There are so many abilities out there that even Julian doesn't know about and it's hard for him and his sister to protect themselves from every threat they can imagine. What he doesn't expect is the beautiful desperate girl that comes through his do...more
Sandy
THE HANDLER (enovella #2.1) by Susan K Quinn

THE HANDLER is the latest e-novella release (August 2012) in Susan K Quinn’s Mindjack series. In a world where mindreading is the norm (due to decades of contaminated water) those without the ability are known as zeroes, but there are a few who possess a power greater than most. The Handler focuses on Julian Navarro and the characters introduced in Closed Hearts and takes place between Open Mind and Closed Hearts before Julian has ever met Kira Moore.

J...more
Becky
This one was VERY interesting. Loved the interactions between Anna and Julian and the mysterious Serena that showed up out of no where with harmful interests.

It was great seeing how Julian had his vision of the future and his clan and how Sasha was the first true recruit after the mistake of trusting Serena. Interesting also to see Julian have to use his ability to "re-wire" her brain and make her less dangerous.

Great prequel to Closed Hearts!
Trisha
"We're not freaks, Serena. And we're not an anomaly. We're destined to be the next step in the evolution of mankind, but only if we fight to survive."

Wow, Julian is a very complex person.
It's interesting to see just how ideal and romantic he is about how the world can be. It's nice to see that in a world that seems so full of hate and fear.

Julian is this big smiling beacon of hope.
menr
I admire Julian, but I'm not sure how I would feel if he ends up with Kira. Call it loyalty to first love interests, just like Lena triangle with Alex and Julian in Delirum (Hah! the coincidence of two Julians in two of my favourite series). Not that I'm putting much stock on Raf, seeing as how that's practically a lost cause unless they can do some voodoo work on his mind. LOL!
Heather
Oh yummy, I want to read more! This book gives a nice tease of the series. This is the first of the series that I have read. Makes me want to eat up the rest of the series. The two siblings in the book are immersed in a world at war with both sides having unique powers. The few new characters that pop into the story to join their cause are quite a catch of powers and issues.
Rhiannon H Morris
I had read all the Mindjack trilogy before reading this book. Whilst it true it gave same extra and welcome background, it a little out of place in the series. Having said that, it is worth reading it you want to hear more from the more fringe characters of Closed Hearts.
Sandy
Julian, a handler, and his sister prepare to start accepting members into their merry, revolutionary band.
Ooo I can't wait until Julian meets Kira.
Kelly
Nice additional backround to the series. I like having a little extra peek into their head. Nope, I am not a jacker!
Stephy-jay
Lovely insight into the perfectly wonderful Julian! I love him even more now LOL! <3
Ayaan
It was a pretty good background on how obsessed Julian got about Kira :D
Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl
7/10: Good solid read, something to get your teeth into.
Misty
Loved to get into his head.. I wished it was more...
Gabrielle Zastrow
TOO SHORT! But still a nice story. I miss these characters!
Aydrea
Nice background on Julian!
Tara
Good additional insite
Linda Todd
Linda Todd marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Michael Lane
Michael Lane is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2014
Kimberly Mayberry
Kimberly Mayberry marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Sam Marie
Sam Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Maligorn
Maligorn marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Monica Pulliam
Monica Pulliam marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Denise Whited
Denise Whited marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Lovers of Paranor...: R2R {52} The Handler- Short- OPEN 11 93 Oct 02, 2012 08:32AM
  • The Defiance (Brilliant Darkness, #2)
  • Water & Storm Country (The Country Saga, #3)
  • Time's Echo (The Chronos Files, #1.5)
  • Dragoon (War of the Princes, #2)
  • The Lotus Effect (Rise Of The Ardent, #1)
  • Suffocate (The Breathless, #1)
  • Legacy (The Time Weaver Chronicles #2)
  • Siege and Storm: Chapters 1-5
  • The Search for Artemis (The Chronicles of Landon Wicker, #1)
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • The Confliction (The Dragoneers Saga, #3)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • Foreverland is Dead (Foreverland, #2)
  • Mind Games (Cassie Scot #3)
  • Restoration (Razorland, #2.5)
  • The Intruders
  • Monster in the Mirror - A Short Story
  • The Forbidden Trilogy
NEW RELEASE:
Synchronic-13 Tales of Time Travel

STEAMPUNK FANTASY ROMANCE
Third Daughter (The Dharian Affairs #1)
Second Daughter (The Dharian Affairs #2)

ADULT FUTURE-NOIR
Debt Collector Season One
WATCH the Debt Collector Book Trailer

YOUNG ADULT SCIENCE FICTION
Open Minds (Book One of the Mindjack Trilogy)
Closed Hearts (Book Two)
Free...more
More about Susan Kaye Quinn...
Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1) Free Souls (Mindjack Trilogy, #3) Closed Hearts (Mindjack Trilogy, #2) Mind Games (Mindjack Origins, #1) Delirium (Debt Collector,  #1)