Start by marking “Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)

Heart of Iron (London Steampunk #2)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,131 Ratings  ·  356 Reviews
In Victorian London, if you’re not a blue blood of the Echelon then you’re nothing at all. The Great Houses rule the city with an iron fist, imposing their strict ‘blood taxes’ on the nation, and the Queen is merely a puppet on a string…

Lena Todd makes the perfect spy. Nobody suspects the flirtatious debutante could be a sympathizer for the humanist movement haunting Londo
Mass Market Paperback, 437 pages
Published May 7th 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Iron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Iron

Frost Burned by Patricia BriggsTwice Tempted by Jeaniene FrostEver After by Kim HarrisonHeart of Obsidian by Nalini SinghHouse Rules by Chloe Neill
2013 Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy (January - June)
26th out of 275 books — 1,139 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
15th out of 293 books — 820 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill
Apr 15, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it

When Lena Todd left Whitechapel a year ago, she wanted her independence. And to put distance between herself and Will Carver, her brother-in-law's bodyguard. As an apprentice at Mandeville's Clockwork Emporium, Lena acts as a go-between and spy for the humanists. Her ability to enter into Echelon society, allows her to gather intelligence against the ruling blue bloods.

Will Carver, infected at five years of age by the loupe virus, caged and exhibited for the next ten years, owes his lif
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Bec McMaster has a unique way of luring readers in. The worldbuiling is phenomenal, the kind that is only limited by the boundaries of the imagination. McMaster continues to step over that line and creates a vastly unique and utterly vivid world that transports readers into another place. Blending together steampunk elements in a traditional historical setting is the soil in which McMaster uses to grow and bloom wonderful surprises for her readers.

Not a surprise is the brooding, mysterious Will
Ya~
Sep 14, 2015 Ya~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-stars
I enjoyed Bec McMaster’s debut novel Kiss of Steel. Set in the rookeries of London, the author built an interesting world that captured the feel of Victorian era. In Heart of Iron, the storyline is more about the geopolitical conflict, and humanist revolution. While both MCs are likable, I find the plot of Lena’s involvement in the conflict between humanists revolution and Echelon rather weak, and some of Lena's decisions seem a bit obtuse. Will is a classic tortured hero with broken ba
Fathima
Will kissed her lips lightly, chasing away the questioning tone. “You know I love you,” he said. Her body quivered against his, but he pressed a finger to her lips, stalling her. “I would die for you,” he told her. “I’d kill for you. I faced down mechanical squid, rampagin’ humanists, and lessons in etiquette for you. I danced at a ball for you.”

Bec McMaster does it again !!!

photo i_love_steampunk_by_catherinetterings-d51wuio_zps3bbfbeb8.jpg

Heart Of Iron is a perfect mix of action , romance and steampunk !!! I love the London Bec has created in this series
Joanita
Apr 17, 2016 Joanita rated it it was amazing
The big, bad wolf, ready to devour her.

Will Carver, also known as The Beast, is a verwulfen, with a price on his head. When he was five, after being infected with the loupe virus, his mother sold him to a traveling showman, where he spent ten years in a cage. Until Blade saved him. And now he protects Blade and the Whitechapel. Normally Will is pretty good with keeping his control over his verwulfen side, but there is one thing that breaks his control like nothing else - Miss Lena Todd. He’

NiteReader
Why oh why???
I loved Blade and Honoria's story and had such high hopes for this novel. But this one was filled with too much world building and background story that Lena and Will almost became part of the scenery. Now I'm on the fence about the next book, I guess I'll wait and see the reviews.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Lena Todd knows she is prey in a den of predators, something that becomes more apparent the longer she moves through the Echelon's world as a debutante; however, she is also a perfect spy, what Blueblood would expect the supposedly empty headed and flirtatious Lena of working for the Humanists? But it soon it becomes hard to see who is friend and who is foe, and the only time she ever feels safe is when she is around Will Carver a Verwulfen who she has had a tendre for since first laying eyes on ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
I love Sundays. Want to know why? Cause I occasionally spend them lying in bed all day reading, not cooking or being disturbed by the kiddos. Today was one of those Sundays. And I am beyond glad it was cause I might have had to kill someone if they tried to disturb me while I was reading this book!

As I've mentioned before, the world Bec McMaster created is amazing! It's a little dark and a lot dangerous. You never know who's truly a villain or a good guy. Now, don't misunderstand, cause there a
Aoi
Feb 19, 2016 Aoi rated it it was amazing
Heart of Iron comes out as another winner for the series.. The fast paced & ridiculously addictive world Bec McMaster has created, is taken to the next level with even more world-building and complex characters readers could root for.

The year is 1879, and changes are afoot in the once- rarified world of the Echelon. Not only has Blade, the King of the Rookeries been knighted into their fold, but also his second-in-command the Beast has been roped in to secure the co-operation of the verwulf
Dina
Will Carver is my newest book boyfriend... ;)
Lonna | FLYLēF
Dec 01, 2015 Lonna | FLYLēF rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
FLYLeF Book Reviews

Original Post: Heart of Iron (London Steampunk 2) at FLYLeF (www.flylef.com)

TANTALIZINGLY SEXY WITH a degree of danger, Heart of Iron (London Steampunk 2), by Bec McMaster, skillfully blends steampunk and paranormal romance into a captivating and entertaining adventure.

Helena Todd – or Lena – appears to be a flirtatious debutante mingling in London’s dangerous blue blood elite world – the Echelon. Nobody suspects her of being a sympathizer for the humanist organization determined to destroy th
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

icon AUDIOBOOKIcon Steampunkicon howlinggood

I highly recommend that you read the novella, TARNISHED KNIGHT before reading HEART OF IRON since there is a few chapters about Will and Lena at the end. The chapters read as a long prologue for HEART OF IRON and gives you a little insight into why Lena and Will left the Warren.

I love the heavy steampunk elements we get with HEART OF IRON. I'm still pretty new to the genre and the fantastical elements in the historical setting is like a character all its own.
Mara
Jul 19, 2013 Mara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, steampunk
I side with those who didn't fall hard for this book. I have loved London Steampunk 1 (to the point of actually buying it also on paper). But this sequel has nothing of the original, except the world. Which I admit is great, and the reason the book still gets 3 stars.

The main couple are a bunch of teenegers.Lena seems a spoilt brat and has the intelligence of one too. Will, well, what about him. I liked him more than her. But given I disliked her for most of the book, there's not much to this st
Beth
In a world where the vampires are the ruling class (Blood Elite), life can be precarious. But being a spy for the humanist group is absolutely lethal if you make a wrong move, Lena Todd is a young debutante sitting on that razors edge. Lena is looking for her place in the world because the one place she wanted to be, with Will Carver, she felt she was rejected.

To say Will Carver’s life has been difficult would be an understatement. Turned by the Loupe virus at the age of 10, he was forced into s
Melanie
May 15, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it
4-4.5 stars

Bec McMaster is the Steampunk QUEEN!
Melindeeloo
Oct 17, 2012 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The romance in Heart of Iron really worked for me and I liked the coarse and 'growly' Will - who tries so hard to fight his instincts and be noble with Lena.

I was initially less thrilled with Lena playing spy, but since that thread actually carries forward to take the series into a new part of the world in the next book, I was okay with it by the end of the story - even though Lena was sort of naive in working for a cause, without knowing what exactly she was working toward (especially since, ev
JLC
I don't know if it was because I was in the right mood & the right frame of mind when I read this book, but I luv'd it! It is now my favorite read of 2013.

Truth be told, I didn't think I was ready for this H & h to get together. That concern quickly dissipated within the 1st few chapters. This author really worked her mojo in this one. The book (& whole series)is action packed & adventurous. SOOOOO enjoyed the ultra possessive H, strong h, great 2nd characters & HEA.

The mai
Carisa
Really good installment, full of action, twists and turns, a wonderful and protective hero, great writing, and I loved to see Blade and Honoria again. An excerpt of the next book was included and I’m not missing it. Note that this series should be read in order as each book contains important background about the characters and plot.
HERO is a Loner, a werewolf for many years caged and tortured, until saved by a rogue vampire who rules a rogue sector and is the closest person to him. He has alwa
Saly
Well, I was apprehensive going into this book since I didn't really take a shine to Lena previously. She came across as spoilt and petulant but then again she was 16. I can't say I totally fell for her in this book because to be honest her actions were stupid and naive but I would lay it all on her age (20) and upbringing. Will, now there was a tortured, heroic guy. I found the plot-line really engaging. Now, on to the next.
Jaclyn
Heart of Iron is the second in McMaster’s London Steampunk Series and it definitely lives up the standards set in book one, Kiss of Steel. Heart of Iron focuses on Lena Todd, the sister to Honoria Todd from book one, and Will Carver, one of Blade’s “henchmen”. I was so excited for this one and I was hoping that Lena and Will would get their own book after their rooftop kiss in book one. This was one occasion where my anticipation for a book did NOT lead to disappointment. McMaster continues with ...more
Kara-karina
Apr 07, 2013 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing
This was so so good, peeps! Anyone who loved Kristen Callihan, Delilah S.Dawson and Meljean Brook in my opinion will love this too.

In the first book, Kiss of Steel, we meet Blade and Honoria. The second book is about Honoria's younger sister, Lena, and inventor and socialite, and Blade's second-in-command, one of the very few werewolves in London, Will Carver.

Where do I start? If you already read Kiss of Steel, you know that England is ruled by Echelon - a deadly bunch of aristocratic vampire ho
Lena always wanted to claim her place within the Echelon so she was horrified when her family had to go into hiding in the slums of Whitechapel. Having the chance to go back to polite society and have her debut should be a dream come true but as much as she loves the beautiful dresses and the glittering balls she now sees a much darker and more sinister side to things than she did as an idealistic young girl. She's decided to put her new position to good use though and has become a spy for the h ...more
Gemma
Oct 02, 2013 Gemma rated it it was amazing
4 STARS ****

Great sequel to 'Kiss of Steel' part of the London Steampunk series.

This is Lena and Will the beast of whitechapel's story. The pair have a
ShoSho
Jun 30, 2013 ShoSho rated it it was amazing
It was one of those book that I occasionally had to close it and take a deep breath and then continue. I was really involved with the characters , especially the hero .He is so believable and I could understand what he was going through. The heroine was good but she did some stupid thing at the beginning but she was redeemed in my eyes by the end. I love this world , it's really complicated . All the couples get their HEA but even at the end , not everything is shiny and flowery . There are prob ...more
Mei
Sep 08, 2014 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
4,5 stars.

I loved the first book and I liked this one too, but it was weaker couple for me.

Lena is too young, too impulsive. She doesn't think about the consequences of her actions. She improves toward the end when she realizes that not everything is black and white, but at the beginning I almost hated her stubborness.

On the other hand I loved, loved Will! He was such a sweet guy. He kept trying to not get involved with Lena, but I'm happy to say that he didn't make it! LOL

The world building is
Natalie
Apr 25, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
Wavering on the stars, but I'm in a generous mood so we'll go with four.

What I liked:

1. Will - The logical part of my brain says "Gawd, you're so ridiculous" but the flimsy romantic part says "take me I'm yours". I'm not proud of this, but there it is.

2. Steampunk London - The world building is solid and the steampunk is played well. Sometimes steampunks get too technical (aka: boring) but McMaster's avoids that.

3. Will - Still ashamed.

4. Plot - Sizzling and full of twists and turns. It take
Iliada

Just as good as the first one!!
Susie
May 15, 2013 Susie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to an excellent series. I really like Lena and Will together. The romance is a slow build, the story action packed with mystery and mayhem. The world building is excellent and the characters memorable and loveable. Loved it.
Jenny Q
Feb 11, 2015 Jenny Q rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars. This may get bumped up to the 5-star side of that! Could not put it down!
Ami
I seem to have soft spot for brooding heroes -- and Will Carver, Beast of Whitechapel, fits that perfectly. Plus he's a verwulven and I love me some shifters :).

Unlike book #1 -- which I needed time to get the hang of it, I was immediately withdrawn to the story in Heart of Iron like a moth to a flame. It had elements that were my weakness: unresolved sexual tension between Will and Lena (especially after I read that short story "Lena's Decision"), a protective Alpha who couldn't seem to see hi
  • Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • Corroded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #3)
  • The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter (Paranormal Investigator, #3)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
Bec McMaster lives in a small town in country Victoria, Australia, and grew up with her nose in a book. A member of Romance Writers of America, she writes sexy, dark paranormals and steampunk romance. When not reading, writing or poring over travel brochures, she loves spending time with her very own hero or daydreaming about new worlds.
More about Bec McMaster...

London Steampunk (6 books)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)
  • Mission: Improper (London Steampunk, #6)