Start by marking “Extreme Cakeovers: Make Showstopping Desserts from Store-Bought Ingredients” as Want to Read:
Extreme Cakeovers: Make Showstopping Desserts from Store-Bought Ingredients

Extreme Cakeovers: Make Showstopping Desserts from Store-Bought Ingredients

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Wanted: Must love candy, cookies, frosting, and fun. No experience required!
Make over any purchased sheet cake or frozen pound cake into a stunning creation that looks like it came from a fancy bakery—no special skills or equipment necessary! Even if you’ve never tried to decorate a cake before, with a good supply of candies and other store-bought treats and the detailed i
Published July 9th 2013 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Extreme Cakeovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extreme Cakeovers

Penny McGill
We really liked this cookbook. I think it's fair to say that we've polished off many books in this genre and enjoyed several tv shows dedicated to the task of fancy cake making so our family opinion is a good one. There were wonderful directions, explicit suggestions for shaping things like fondant and candy into the right shapes and very complete ingredient lists.

The variety of cake styles is great. There are some cakes made into trucks and planes, cakes that look like fancy purses and make up
Some clever ideas (train, roller skate, under the sea, robot...) but I am more interested in baking a tasty cake than in decorations. These use store bought cakes (ex. Sara Lee pound cake), although recipes are provided so you could bake from scratch. Lots of food coloring and a variety of candies I would never have on hand and which might cost a small fortune to purchase are used in each recipe, making me think it would be much more cost- and time-effective to visit my local baker.
June Williams
Rick and Sasha Reichart are the talents behind They have a custom cake studio in Kailua, Hawaii (my home town!). I certainly couldn't make their 3D sculpted cakes - pirate's chest complete with mermaid and bling, frog catching a fly on its tongue, a knight in armor on a horse, pieces of sushi on a "board - but this book has actual instructions for how to make do-able cakes for a layperson.

Recipes include a robot, jukebox, giftbox with an open lid, aloha shirt, caterpillar, zombie,
It gives nice ideas and easy methods to make 3 d cakes. Useful for children birthdays
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Brooke added it
Jun 08, 2015
Kristi marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
WPeggs added it
May 30, 2014
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Jess marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Omar marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Shawna is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2013
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Kelly Vaughn
Kelly Vaughn marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013