Game On! (Squish, #5)

Game On! (Squish #5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Introducing Squish--a hilarious, action packed graphic novel series from the award-winning creators of Babymouse! Filled with superheroes, comics within comics, and gross-out science, Squish is perfect for fans of Dav Pilkey's Captain Underpants, Dan Gutman's Weird School, and Jarrett Krosoczka's Lunch Lady.
Beep! Beep! Squish can't get enough of his awesome new video gam...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Game On!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game On!

Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=2365

I love the Squish series. The series is so wonderful for many reasons, but I like them specifically because it balances humor, entertainment, and education. I also really like the characters, especially Squish, and one of the things I love about Squish is his love of comic books and his chosen hero, Super Amoeba. This book in the Squish series deals with a dilemma that many children face: books vs. video games and balancing time. Will Squis...more
Donalyn
Squish neglects his schoolwork because of his newfound obsession with a video game. I love that the Squish and Babymouse comics communicate important lessons without being too preachy. My students are going to be thrilled when I bring this one in tomorrow.
Colby Sharp
The masters, Jenni and Matt, team up again to bring us another graphic novel adventure that our students will fall in love with.
Raina
Super cute comic about an amoeba who just can't win. In this volume, he becomes addicted to a video game! I can relate, as I spend probably most of my smartphone time going on adventures with trains and zombies and candy.
Turns out, Squish also has homework to contend with.

It's cute, has a silly sense of humor, and the kids eat it up. Yummy in the same way that Babymouse, Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute, Kit Feeny, and The Flying Beaver Brothers are yummy.
Ms. Yingling
Squish certainly loves to read comic books about Super Amoeba, but when his friends Peggy and Pod get him hooked on the video game Meitosis,Squish is so determined to make it to the next level that he doesn't care about anything else. He doesn't do his book report on Moby Dick, he doesn't sleep, and he doesn't even care about going to the comic convention with his dad! Evenutally, Squish realizes that the game isn't that exciting, and that he really needs to pay attention to other things in his...more
Crystal
Before I even got to the story, a smile broke out on my face. Colby Sharp (a Nerdybookclub member) must have flipped when he saw his name on the dedication page. He is a huge Babymouse and Squish fan and has promoted these books through Twitter, his blog and in his classroom.

As for the story, the Holm duo has hit on a theme that many readers will relate to easily: video game obsession. If it hasn't affected them, they have likely seen it strike friends and/or relatives. It is so difficult to se...more
Dolly
Aug 29, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the fifth book in the Squish series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm. Our youngest devoured the Babymouse series in no time and while we're waiting for the next book in that series, she decided she wanted to try out this one.

I've found that these stories aren't nearly as compelling or charming as the Babymouse ones. In both series, the main character learns a moral lesson and the stories are all entertaining; I just like the "Babymouse" characters better. But our youngest really like...more
Liz B
Squish is an amoeba who loves comic books. But then he discovers a hand-held video game, and everything else about his life suffers.

If I taught early elementary, I would constantly buy multiple copies of both Babymouse and Squish (both are graphic novel series by the Holm siblings. I am sure that they are perfect for that age group, particularly for showing new readers how fun reading can be. The two books I read were energetic, fun, fast-paced, and meaningful without being preachy.
Diane
"Yeah, Dude, there's a whole world out there, too. When's the last time you left his room?"

Squish gets $50 for his birthday and decides to buy a new video game. But suddenly, nothing is more important to him than getting to the next level of the game: not friends, not family, not school work, not even his favorite comic, Super Amoeba. That's when things start to go wrong for Squish. And finally, just like his hero Super Amoeba, he realizes that he's gotten "a little obsessed" and starts to make...more
Karin
Squish is all excited about his new Super Amoeba comic that he gets to buy with his birthday money. He gets sucked in to the story like always UNTIL his friends start talking about the new Mitosis video game. Eventually, he breaks down and plays and when he does he can't stop. He uses the rest of his birthday money on his own game instead of buying some back issues of comics he's been wanting.

Squish deals with video game addiction in this installment. He learns about it with the help of his tru...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Every time I read a new Squish book, I think it is better than the previous book. Matt and Jenni are fabulous with how they communicate important lessons but with the right amount of humor and entertainment. And the little things (like the creators of Babymouse being at a signing) and "cool kids read comics" and "cool teachers read comics, too" just make me smile.

This time Squish has to learn a lesson about video games and the effects of getting too obsessed with something that other things are...more
Blue Skye And Clouds
This character likes comic books just like I do. We also both like to read.Read the Squish series, and the Baby mouse series.
Brielle
Its what happens when you get addicted to video games
Angélica Cardiel
"Call me Squishmael" made me giggle. :D
Shelli
Squish is a lovable ameba that like many children (and adults) has begun neglecting his school work in favor of the latest video game his friends are all playing: Mitosis. Will Squish be able to resist the Dark Side and return to his educational and domestic responsibilities?? Or will the allure of electronic stimuli firmly hold Squish in its clutches???

I had a great time sharing this graphic novel with my daughter and I highly recommend this series for early and reluctant readers.
Samantha
Squish becomes obsessed with video games and neglects his other interests and responsibilities with negative consequences.

I love the way Squish's troubles are always mirrored in the trials of his favorite superhero comics. This volume is extra wonderful because the authors write themselves a cameo appearance.

Excellent series for fans of Babymouse, Lunch Lady, Captain Underpants, and the Flying Beaver Brothers. Grades 3-5.
Bethe
I love Squish! This episode has a gentle message about what we call hyper focusing, putting too much attention on only one thing to the detriment of the rest of life. I can so identify with Squish, having been accused many times of hyper focusing. I also identify with Squish and his love of reading while walking - at least I have feet to do that! Anxiously awaiting the next Squish adventure!
The Styling Librarian
Squish Game On! #5 by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm – My son and I immediately enjoyed reading it. Such a fantastic example of having a happy medium, healthy approach to any passion- whether it be books, movies, video games, etc. Led to a great conversation with the kiddo. He “got it” but still enjoyed the book, as he does any Squish or Babymouse book.
David
This is my first reading of one of the Squish books, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Squish learns an important lesson about making priorities, and so does his Comic Book hero.

I might not have read this, but my 7 year old Grandson handed it too me with a grin and said, "I think you'll like this." The kid was right.
Shazzer
Squish tackles video game addiction in his typical hysterical fashion. I love the self-referential Easter eggs (I have that very same Babymouse poster hanging in my library!). Holm and Holm have once again done a great job and pulled out a graphic novel adventure kids are going to love to read.
Kym
I've now read 2 Squish books and I can safely say that I probably won't read another one. These are good for kids who love the delivery that graphic novels provide. I love the science that the Squish books provide, but the story lines are uncomplicated and easy. Perfect for some students.
Stacey
the lesson to turn off the electronics and have a life every once in a while was pretty well done. i did not shine to the first two in this series, but this one was babymouse level.
Gigi
Squish gets overly obsessed with a new video game, neglecting his schoolwork and his sleep. I love the Baby Mouse appearances and the references to Jenn and Matt Holm.
Read  Ribbet
The fifth installment by the Holm's finds their favorite amoeba distracted by a video game. He finally finds his way back to more literary experiences.
Stefanie
Another great addition to the Squish series! All my gamers at my library will love this one especially! *I read an ARC of this title from Random House.*
Niki (Daydream Reader)
My second graders will love this book! They are going to flip when they found out it is dedicated to Colby! They think he is the coolest!
Abi
Still love Squish. They play with Moby Dick parallels in this one and the danger of trying to do ALL THE just ONE THING!
Maria
Very funny! Loved the cameo by Matt and Jenni and all the comic stuff is great as usual.

JLG selection from my school library.
Bubba
i actually think one million trillion bazillion + infinity + infinity stars. I love how Squish is cool and plays video games.
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • Bluffton
  • Explorer 2: The Lost Islands
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Giants Beware!
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Cleopatra in Space #1: Target Practice (Cleopatra in Space, #1)
  • The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
  • Little Red Writing
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra...more
More about Jennifer L. Holm...
Turtle in Paradise Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1) Penny from Heaven Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1) Super Amoeba (Squish, #1)