Start by marking “The Pirate's Coin: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #3)” as Want to Read:
The Pirate's Coin: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #3)

The Pirate's Coin: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Fans of magic, mystery, and adventure will love the thirdThe Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure—a perfect next step for kids who lovethe Magic Tree House series, and just right for readers who loveChasing Vermeer, The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler,andWonderstruck.Sixth Graders Ruthie and Jack return to the Art Institute of Chicago's magical Thorne Rooms. During a sc ...more
Published May 28th 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate's Coin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate's Coin

Bloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalEverlost by Neal ShustermanFlipped by Wendelin Van DraanenUglies by Scott WesterfeldPretties by Scott Westerfeld
This book needs a movie
24th out of 43 books — 37 voters
The Pirate's Coin by Marianne MaloneThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakStealing Magic by Marianne MaloneHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
10 Things I Love About You
1st out of 21 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane
Upside of time travel: you have a chance to help someone. Downside: if you change something, your best friend could disappear forever.

The class assignment was to learn something about your ancestors. Jack discovers, through his great Aunt George, that he is related to Jack Northfleet, a pirate. She even sends him a pirate coin that belonged to him. “This was so Jack. He had something to brag about but didn’t.”
Also making a presentation is Kendra, who talks about an ancestor named Phoebe Monroe
Fantasy Literature
The Pirate’s Coin, the third book in Marianne Malone’s SIXTY-EIGHT ROOMS fantasy adventure series for children, is a slight improvement over the first two novels, The Sixty-Eight Rooms and Stealing Magic, which three of us here at FanLit agreed did not meet the potential of Malone’s excellent premise. Readers who haven’t dropped out yet, presumably because they have enjoyed the series so far, should also be pleased with this installment.

Ruthie and Jack just can’t stay away from the Thorne Rooms
Tiffany
These books remind me somewhat of the Magic Tree House books but for older kids. I really enjoy the history and adventure in them.
Nathan
Feb 02, 2014 Nathan added it
Shelves: read-in-2014
4 stars--I love this series for kids! Great adventures and good stories for getting boys to read.
Lena
loved it! I can't wait for their next adventure!
Jacqui Sheppherd
This is book 3 in the Sixty-eight room series. This middle grade novel has two mysteries. One part is Jack has a coin from his ancestors who happen to coincide with one of the rooms in the museum and the other is part of the continuation of the story that happened in the last book involving the slave tag. Items and actions from previous books come to light even though you don’t have to read them to enjoy this one. Both mysteries are solved by going back in time and something drastic happens when ...more
Brett
In the third adventure of close friends Jack & Ruthie at the Thorne Rooms exhibit in Chicago's Art Institute, things are about to get a little more personal. Ruthie first discovers that a school friend of hers is a descendant of the slave girl Phoebe Monroe - & that her family has been the victim of a terrible tragedy. Kendra's great-grandmother, who was the granddaughter of Phoebe, set up a large business as a purveyor of herbal remedies & mixtures, but she was accused by members of ...more
Ms. Yingling
After their adventures in The Sixty-Eight Rooms and Stealing Magic, Jack and Ruthie are back. They are still interested in having adventures in the rooms (who wouldn't be?), but have a more serious reason to investigate-- during a genealogy project at school, they find out that their friend Kendra is a descendent of a woman who ran a business in the early twentieth century, something rare for an African-American woman at the time. Even though Kenra's ancestor had gotten her formulae from her anc ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Ruthie and Jack are back for another great miniature adventure in the Thorne Rooms located at the Arts Institute of Chicago. They're on an adventure to discover more information about Phoebe Monroe and the pirate Jack Norfleet.

The Pirate's Coin is the third title in the Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure series. It's my favorite so far in the series. The third installment of Ruthie and Jack's escapades involves an individual from previous travels (Phoebe Monroe) and a distant relative of Jack's (Pirate
Kat  Hooper

Ruthie and Jack just can’t stay away from the Thorne Rooms
Santiago Castillo
I hated this book I dont recomened it at all it is a sort of fantasy book with fake and bad writen books. It is a hook that I rea before my NWEA that is why its lexile is low it is 620. The book is a book for younger kids.
Cheryl Grossman
Finally addresses the ol' time travel paradox. About time.
PWRL
Mar 24, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Tessa
My ten year old daughter was so excited to find that Malone had written another of these great books! She liked it just as much as the first one (68 rooms) and can't wait for more. I like them because, apart from being well written, they function as historical fiction and are really very educational. Lots of fun!
Naomi
Enjoyed all three of the books in this series. My daughter needed to read historical fiction and we both got hooked. The 4th book is coming out in July I think.
Joseph
This series is a great combination of fun adventure, mystery, fantasy, historical fiction, and art-themed fiction for upper-elementary-aged kids. With the main characters being a girl and a boy who are good friends, both boys and girls will enjoy reading these books.
S.e.
This is my favorite of the three, though they are all very good. The impact of time travel is fleshed out a little more. Again, nice little history lessons are spread throughout the story. This was a pleasure, and I recommend the audio book for family listening.
Mary
The third in the series and Marianne Malone keeps coming up with new twists! In this one, Jack and Ruthie alter history and discover the consequences. They also right a wrong from the past. Cassandra Campbell has such a warm, rich voice. Fabulous!
ReadingWench
Jul 08, 2013 ReadingWench added it
Shelves: ebook
I have been anxiously awaiting the audio book of this new Sixty-Eight Room Adventure.

I have tried writing a review of this book, but every time I do, I find it is filled with spoilers.
Mayrocks
it was really epic and made my heart pound at times, but for the most part, it was pretty much the same as "Stealing Magic: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure" and "The Sixty-Eight Rooms".
Delighted to discover a 3rd book in the series. This time the kids mucking about in the past has consequences in the future (as in Back to the Future), which I liked.
Emyrose8
I think this one is my favorite in the series so far. Mystery, history, and magic all rolled into one. Can't wait for the next one to come out!
Library Maven
Another fun title in Malone's series about The Art Institute of Chicago's Thorne Rooms and the two kids who can magically visit them.
Rose
Sep 27, 2013 Rose rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Rose by: No one
I'm really enjoying this series. It's actually for kids in Middle School, but its a very entertaining read.
Lydia
The book was very good, but I felt the author could have written less side stories.
Cari
Our favorite of the three books in this series! Can't wait for the next one!
Tony
Aug 02, 2013 Tony rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery, ya
Found concept interesting, writing more than met expectations for this genre.
Dianne
This book had as much about slavery as the pirates coin but it was a good book.
Lisa Delacruz
Loved it! Great series ! Can't wait for book 4! Great adventure!!
  • The Field of Wacky Inventions (Floors #3)
  • We Hold These Truths (Benjamin Pratt & Keepers of the School #5)
  • The Dragon in the Sea (Dragon Keepers #5)
  • Curse of the Ancients (Infinity Ring #4)
  • Freaks
  • Spellbound (The Books of Elsewhere, #2)
  • The Twilight Prisoner (Jack Perdu, #2)
  • The Interrupted Tale (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #4)
  • Emily's Fortune
  • Bad Unicorn
  • Bite-Sized Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #3)
  • Ariol #1: Just a Donkey Like You and Me
  • The Wells Bequest (The Grimm Legacy, #2)
  • Storm of Sharks (Wereworld, #5)
  • Follow Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • The Watcher in the Shadows (Inquisitor's Apprentice #2)
  • The Mayor of Central Park
The Sixty-Eight Rooms (Sixty-Eight Rooms #1) Stealing Magic: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #2) The Secret of the Key: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure  (Sixty-Eight Rooms #4)