Start by marking “Cerebro” as Want to Read:
Cerebro

Cerebro

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,679 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
Both of them suspected that something was wrong--terribly wrong--in the great medical research center where they worked. Both of them wondered why a beautiful young woman had died on the operating table and her brain secretly removed. Both of them found it impossible to explain the rash of female patients exhibiting bizarre mental breakdowns and shocking behavior. Both of ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Cerebro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cerebro

Saara
Feb 03, 2015 Saara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends of (medical) thrillers
Let me begin by stating that I did enjoy this book significantly. I for some reason had a preconceived notion that the story would be much trashier than it turned out to be, which might have influenced my opinion in a positive way; I was pleasantly surprised, ergo inclined toward a kinder review. My grievances are, in the end, minor ones, even though they did affect my reading experiences negatively.

Brain takes place over three days in the life of Dr. Martin Philips, a radiologist who has fared
Melina
Oct 07, 2010 Melina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts with a girl Kathereine Collins going to a GYN clinic where she undergoes treatment for some Gynac ailments. She has starts having seizures where she smells a repulsive but familiar odor and then loses consciousness. As the book goes on it tells about other young women around the same age with the exact same symptoms. The story's main character is Dr. Martin Phillips, a doctor in neurophysiology at a New York City hospital. He is working on a self-diagnostic x-ray machine along ...more
Ryan Lieske
Ridiculous and fun. I wish all of Cook's novels were this whacked out and macabre. It's no "Coma", but it has the same outlandish thrills as "Mindbend" and "Shock", which is fine by me. I don't expect great literature from Dr. Cook; hell, I don't even expect great storytelling. But "Brain" has just the right amount of B-movie silliness to keep the pages turning. And, since the book was released in the early 80s, a lot of it is hilariously outdated (which, obviously, adds to the fun).
Jeremy
Jul 30, 2013 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brain was entertaining, intelligent and completely ridiculous in equal measures. I admit I enjoyed it, despite never buying the premise for a single moment. Cook has a talent and it's for telling a good yarn that keeps the pace going. It's not so much that he's believable or a good writer (although I've read worse working in the thriller genre). Also, I think I understand TeeVee shows like House a little better having read this.
Gerard
Sep 29, 2015 Gerard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A shocking medical thriller!
Ежко Таралежко
Неочаквано за мен много слаб роман на Робин Кук. Може би не е имал вдъхновение. Може би е бил на слаби наркотици. Може би се е олял в стремежите си да създаде елегия против аморалните способи във фармацевтиката и медицината, и вечното си оплюване на системата за здравеопазване в САЩ (а какво ли би казал за нашата?). Не знам. Романът е скучен, муден, липсва му заряд и всичко което се случва, се случва в около двадесет страници към края на книгата - останалото са нравоучителни философии и необясни ...more
Debbie Bradford
Sep 07, 2015 Debbie Bradford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may have been outrageous as some people have suggested but the prologue in the end bothered me. It certainly makes one think and wonder about human experimentation and exploitation. Truly was a good read with the afterthoughts compelling.
João Lobato
Apr 10, 2016 João Lobato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
octacore
Mar 29, 2016 octacore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cartea merita citita din mai multe puncte de vedere. Inafara scenariului senzational (anticipat), cartea are meritul de a descrie anumite proceduri medicale cu lux de amanunte, vazute din perspectiva pacientului si a senzatiilor acestuia, fapt care este cutremurator. Exceptand partea de inceput a cartii in care cititorului i se prezinta o multime de personaje, dintre care unele apar doar meteoric, in scurt timp, actiunea prinde fluiditate si cartea devine o lectura antrenanta. Lucrurile marunte ...more
Elusive
Dec 18, 2015 Elusive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In ‘Brain’, an ambitious doctor Martin Phillips gradually realizes that something sinister is happening at the hospital while he’s working on a project with a friend. Several girls visit the gynaecology clinic and begin experiencing the same symptoms shortly after, leading to unexplained disappearances.

I don’t usually actively search for books featuring heavy medical content but the storyline for ‘Brain’ was way too irresistible for me to pass up the opportunity to read it. Suffice to say, I wa
Umut
Nov 03, 2015 Umut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Robin Cook külliyatına olan merakım üzerine okuduğum kitap Beyin. Yemin olsun bu adam aynı anlatım tekniği ile akademik kitaplar yazsa her eve bir doktor hayalimiz gerçek olur. Bir beyin ameliyatı bu kadar mı insanı sıkmadan detaylı ve sanki ameliyat edilen kendi beyninizmiş gibi hissettirecek kadar gerçekçi anlatılır. Perfect. Ancak tüm bu hararaetli anlatıma karşın üstadın bir iki kitabında görülen "Amaaaan, yeter bu kadar yazdım. Hadi artık bitireyim" t
Nara Santos
Eu me lembro de ter lidos dois livros desse autor (Coma e Erro Médico) há uns 20 anos atrás... Mas não se tornaram meus livros preferidos pq, apesar de ter gostado do enredo, algo me incomodou. Depois de tantos anos, com a leitura de Cérebro, percebi o que me incomodava... Cook é um prepotente, que se acha um profundo conhecedor da Medicina, mas que tenho certeza que não tem vocação nenhuma para tal, e, o pior de tudo, um racista de marca maior disfarçado de tolerante! Seus personagens principai ...more
Sherri Losee
May 27, 2014 Sherri Losee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stilted narrative, sterotypical characters . . . Stick with medicine, Dr. Cook.
Bhargavi
Dec 04, 2015 Bhargavi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short read but one of those books that makes you turn pages until you finish it. The part about electrodes stuck in Lisa marino's brain was fascinatingly gross. The book was well-written and well told. I loved the intital pages more than the later ones. The conception of story was amazing, but Philip's role as a protagonist left a lot to be desired, I loved the parts about deoxy-glucose causing fits and the human experimentation parts. Despite saying all this, I probably will not read it again ...more
Lloyd
Nov 06, 2010 Lloyd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin-cook, 1970s
Robin Cook returns to the medical thriller format in his fourth outing, "Brain".

When Dr. Martin Phillips notices some strange goings-on around the New York hospital he works in, he begins to look into it. When researching a young lady who died unexpectedly during surgery, he discovers that her brain has been removed. And that's only scratching the surface...

While I enoyed this book for periods of thrilling action sequences, strange discoveries, and the conspiracy element that emerges in the plot
D.K. Cherian
Sep 30, 2013 D.K. Cherian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too often we have come across news articles where humans have been exploited knowingly or unknowingly, in the name of scientific research. Robin Cook tackles this very issue in his novel, Brain.
A series of mysteriously deaths have occurred amongst young females and the only common factor seems to be that they have all had atypical pap smear results. Through chance, a radiologist stumbles upon one of the victims through her X-Ray, with the problem in the brain being highlighted by a new computer
Manjunath
A gripping medical thriller!

Positives:
The overall plot of the novel was interesting and fast-paced. Having worked in a research hospital milieu and aware of the bioethical concerns of using animal and human subjects for medical research, I found this story and it's outcome somewhat plausible.

Negatives:
The ending felt a bit rushed and left me wanting for more. I had a different end in mind. Also, delving into the life and background of some of the characters was unnecessary and could have done w
Roberta
May 13, 2014 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutto-cook
I read Cook's book in Italian when I was 20-something and I'm re-reading them in English 10 years leater. Compared to Grey's anatomy and other medical pop culture ideas, the technical aspect of this book seems updated. The ethical implications, however, is not, and that's what I like.
Keep also in mind that I faint in front of needles and have amild sense of nausea every time I enter a clinic/hospital: for me these novels are quite interesting horror stories.
Attila
Apr 03, 2014 Attila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Read several of Robin Cook's medical thrillers when I was 13-14 years old, and I liked them a lot (even if they were quite simplistic, and similar to each other). Brain was my favourite - it's about a physician uncovering an unsettling conspiracy in a medical research center, where young patients are admitted with strange psychological symptoms, and later disappear. A book I've read several times (even if I don't normally re-read books).
Avid Reader
Mar 20, 2014 Avid Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this computer era and moral ethics sliding downhill, I have no problem envisioning something like this taking place in today's world. (with the people involved in it too but I won't put it since it would be a spoiler alert)

It was written in a manner that I wish I had a BP machine at home and it could monitor as I read. I found myself so engrossed in it and at times of danger holding my breath and reading faster hoping he'd be able to get away quicker! LMAO (just so you know, that's highly ir
Delicious Strawberry
Sigh. Why do I keep reading Robin Cook? Oh that's right, his books keep turning up in my neighborhood's Little Free Library, and I keep hoping that he writes something that doesn't involve a conspiracy.

Unfortunately, this book was exactly just that. It's obvious that Mr. Cook knows his medical stuff, and it shows in here, him being a doctor and all, but the story itself fell flat at the end with the big reveal that YES ITS ALL A CONSPIRACY BECAUSE THE PEOPLE BEHIND IT ARE GREEDY.

Now, it's not th
Ayami
Feb 08, 2015 Ayami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical, medical thriller by Cook. An easy read for my daily, work commute. If I were to review the Polish translation that I've read, the book wouldn't get more than one star though. I'm surprised somebody had paid the translator for doing such a crappy job. Can't believe the editor let it slide either. It's full of basic mistakes and literal translations. Horrible.
Oscar Torrado
Aunque tiene todos los elementos de su más célebre novela, Coma, Cerebro no logró llenar mis expectativas, siendo éste el segundo libro que leo de Robin Cook.

La historia se desarrolla de una forma bastante lenta, y aunque sigue la misma línea que desarrolló Cook en sus thrillers médicos como por ejemplo la ética moral médica y hasta dónde es capaz de llegar el ser humano por el bien de la ciencia y la investigación, sus personajes principales Phillips y Denise no lograron transmitir ningún senti
Heather
This book had so much potential. He builds the suspense. But when I got to the climax of the book and figured out what was going on. I have to say it wasn't as spectacular as I thought it would be. It just seemed silly. Other than that, the book was good. I just thought the whole stimulation part was stupid. Such a man. I would expect no less.

I will give you this though... he is good at building suspense.
Shashank Sinha
Jan 16, 2016 Shashank Sinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading Brain then I don't liked it. But after completing about 50 pages, I started enjoying it. Writing style is very simple. Storyline is very good. But at the end I was really excited. I really enjoyed this book. There is a huge twist in the story at the end. Actually I didn't expected this type of ending. I think Robin Cook is one of the finest writer. I'm really looking forward to read more novels by Robin Cook.
Matt
Jul 11, 2015 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin-cook
Ramakrishanan Vijayaraman
As usual robin cooks masterpiece, starts with lot of medical jargons and diagnostic terminology. The story picks up speed very fast and the climax ends soon. The suspense is maintained till the end which is good.
Kim Stewart
Sep 22, 2015 Kim Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Robin Cook

I always enjoy these books...can't wait to read the next one...highly recommend this book to anyone who likes medical mysteries
Matt Champagne
A girlfriend gave me a used copy of this for Christmas in 1993. It's like "Coma" but with brains. I think. Don't really remember.
Brainfire - An Amazing Brain Boosting supplement 1 1 Jul 06, 2015 10:31PM
  • Critical Judgment
  • Brain Child
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar #1)
  • Cold Plague
  • Prelude to Terror
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...

“Medical school had been a time for imaginary diseases and Martin had contracted almost all of them.” 32 likes
“Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion,’ ” 2 likes