Start by marking “Catastrophe's Spell (Dance of the Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Catastrophe's Spell (Dance of the Gods, #1)

Catastrophe's Spell (Dance of the Gods #1)

Only Maximillian the Vaguely Disreputable could track down the being who has kidnapped the Great Karlini in a bespelled castle. Soon Max finds himself caught up in a war between Death Gods, necromancers, and a sorcerer/detective.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published July 1st 1989 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Catastrophe's Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catastrophe's Spell

Cat Noe
May 21, 2017 Cat Noe rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It does get into some tedious technical detail, but I loved the humor in this, and the style is exactly the sort that got me into reading as a kid. Overall, it was a very fun fantasy romp, once you get past the character introduction. I can't wait to read the next two.
Jsnows
Dec 02, 2012 Jsnows rated it really liked it
I stumbled upon this book by accident and I had never heard of it or the author so I had no expectations at all besides hoping it was a good read.
Mayer Alan Brenner did a great job with the characters which I found to be well developed and have a fair bit of depth to them. Plus , you've got to love a "hero" whose nickname is "the Vaguely Disreputable". The story is frequently humorous in a real life sort of way, mostly due to twisted circumstances rather than deliberately attempting to be funny
Ann aka Iftcan
Ok, not exactly sure what to call this book. It has some dystopian features, some post-apcolyptic features, plus is definitely fantasy.

First of all, I will admit, I picked it up after reading the blurb on the back and falling in love with the hero's name. Maximillian the Vaguely Disreputable. . . I mean, who wouldn't love a book with a hero with that name, right?

Anyway, poor old Maximillian has his hands full, trying to save friends, allies and even an entire city. And what is he trying to save
Linda
Jul 24, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
I had the 3rd book in this series for many years on my shelf, and I'm trying to declutter a bit. Rather than give that one away, I finally went to the library and asked them to bring the others in the series up from archival storage, because that's the kind of book nerd I am.

This is a decent fantasy book. His characters are intelligent, and there's some humor and enough action that I will go on and read the next book in the four-part series. This first one stands on its own; there is no cliff-ha
Teejaybee
Apr 22, 2011 Teejaybee rated it liked it
A good read. A slow burner that took a long time to get going and seemed disjointed as a result. The finale was worth waiting for and, by means of a simple construct, I've been left looking forward to the next in series to see what happens to the characters.

Good characterisation and good , complex magic that was described well through the dialogue. I hadn't come across this fictional approach to magic in a book before so it was interesting and seemed very believable.

There is an interesting twi
Dan
Sep 19, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it
Brenner is an old-school fantasy author with an ornery streak. Catastrophe's Spell is Errol-Flynn-style adventuring (or is that "Phlinn Arol"?) with references to quantum physics, higher maths, existential and epistemological puzzles, and gritty gumshoe brawling.

Don't look for any character growth (or even real depth), or answers to life's deeper mysteries. Just good clean science/magic fiction fun, with plenty of pretentious, sarcastic banter.

A light read, but highly enjoyable.

EDIT: Forgot to m
Hugo Scaramuzza
Jul 15, 2008 Hugo Scaramuzza rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, funny
Got this book for free online in pdf format, read most of it on my phone while on the train. Fun, light-hearted fantasy adventure. Got a little too verbose in his descriptions of magical effects, describing in minute detail all the colors and interactions of magical power flying around when spellcasters fight, but otherwise an enjoyable read. Story jumps back and forth between a handful of main characters, so it's a little hard to follow at first, but I liked it.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
Jul 14, 2011 Tabitha Ormiston-Smith rated it did not like it
This book somehow just failed to grab me. Faults I didn't like were: long technical discussions about magic (boring enough when it's technical discussions about something that exists let alone...) and I felt the characters were not well delineated. At times I picked up the book in the middle of a conversation and had to page back to see who was speaking. I think it was this failure of the characters to come to life that prevented the story from catching fire for me.
Tamara
May 07, 2013 Tamara rated it it was ok
I had a VERY hard time following which character was currently speaking ... lots of backing up and re-listening and still had a tough time

so, in essence, I got the Cliff Notes version of the book even tho I listened to the whole thing, unabridged.

with that, I'm not sure I can really tell you what the story was about other than what is already available in the synopsis
David
Mar 18, 2009 David rated it liked it
Four-book fantasy series with a few sci-fi touches. Comes across as being set in someone's RPG gameworld, but it's distinctive enough and it has some clever touches, though you'd have to read all four books to appreciate most of them. Slow starter. I believe Brenner has the full text of book 1 available free on his website.
Betsey
Jun 09, 2012 Betsey rated it it was amazing
Where did this author come from? What a surprise. I loved the characters and how they inter-twined in this plot. Very entertaining, not dull at all. Reading the second book now.
Kathy
Aug 11, 2011 Kathy added it
a real interesting and unique read.
Dan
Oct 04, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signal
Fantasy; swashbuckling. The characters were detailed and engaging. The trick with the detective's viewpoint was very cute.
Lotte Larsen
Lotte Larsen rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Jonathon
Jonathon rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2011
Exan Gutierrez
Exan Gutierrez rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2011
Stefan Wills
Stefan Wills rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Eag86
Eag86 rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Sam Shannon
Sam Shannon rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2015
Lydia
Lydia rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2011
JKK
JKK rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2015
Caleb Thompson
Caleb Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2010
Patrick Powell
Patrick Powell rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Giriniss
Giriniss rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2014
Benoit
Benoit rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Jody
Jody rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Hadrien
Hadrien rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Myra
Myra rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2012
Robert Bose
Robert Bose rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Star Dragon
  • Ellie's Wolf (After the Crash, #5)
  • Gnome Man's Land
  • No Rest for the Wicca
  • Harmony
  • Scratch Monkey
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • The Last Dancer  (The Continuing Time, #3)
  • The Prize in the Game (Tir Tanagiri #3)
  • The Magickers (The Magickers, #1)
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • Dead Demon Walking (Whisperings, #3)
  • Omnilingual
  • And the Devil Will Drag You Under
  • Ventus
  • The Incompleat Enchanter
  • Illegal Magic
  • Throne of Oak (Maggie's Grove, #2)

Dance of the Gods (4 books)
  • Spell of Intrigue (Dance of the Gods, #2)
  • Spell of Fate (Dance of the Gods, #3)
  • Spell of Apocalypse (Dance of the Gods, #4)