Start by marking “Catastrophe's Spell (Dance of the Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Catastrophe's Spell (Dance of the Gods, #1)

Catastrophe's Spell (Dance of the Gods #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Only Maximillian the Vaguely Disreputable could track down the being who has kidnapped the Great Karlini in a bespelled castle. Soon Max finds himself caught up in a war between Death Gods, necromancers, and a sorcerer/detective.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published July 1st 1989 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Catastrophe's Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catastrophe's Spell

I stumbled upon this book by accident and I had never heard of it or the author so I had no expectations at all besides hoping it was a good read.
Mayer Alan Brenner did a great job with the characters which I found to be well developed and have a fair bit of depth to them. Plus , you've got to love a "hero" whose nickname is "the Vaguely Disreputable". The story is frequently humorous in a real life sort of way, mostly due to twisted circumstances rather than deliberately attempting to be funny
Ann aka Iftcan
Ok, not exactly sure what to call this book. It has some dystopian features, some post-apcolyptic features, plus is definitely fantasy.

First of all, I will admit, I picked it up after reading the blurb on the back and falling in love with the hero's name. Maximillian the Vaguely Disreputable. . . I mean, who wouldn't love a book with a hero with that name, right?

Anyway, poor old Maximillian has his hands full, trying to save friends, allies and even an entire city. And what is he trying to save
I had the 3rd book in this series for many years on my shelf, and I'm trying to declutter a bit. Rather than give that one away, I finally went to the library and asked them to bring the others in the series up from archival storage, because that's the kind of book nerd I am.

This is a decent fantasy book. His characters are intelligent, and there's some humor and enough action that I will go on and read the next book in the four-part series. This first one stands on its own; there is no cliff-ha
Brenner is an old-school fantasy author with an ornery streak. Catastrophe's Spell is Errol-Flynn-style adventuring (or is that "Phlinn Arol"?) with references to quantum physics, higher maths, existential and epistemological puzzles, and gritty gumshoe brawling.

Don't look for any character growth (or even real depth), or answers to life's deeper mysteries. Just good clean science/magic fiction fun, with plenty of pretentious, sarcastic banter.

A light read, but highly enjoyable.

EDIT: Forgot to m
A good read. A slow burner that took a long time to get going and seemed disjointed as a result. The finale was worth waiting for and, by means of a simple construct, I've been left looking forward to the next in series to see what happens to the characters.

Good characterisation and good , complex magic that was described well through the dialogue. I hadn't come across this fictional approach to magic in a book before so it was interesting and seemed very believable.

There is an interesting twi
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
This book somehow just failed to grab me. Faults I didn't like were: long technical discussions about magic (boring enough when it's technical discussions about something that exists let alone...) and I felt the characters were not well delineated. At times I picked up the book in the middle of a conversation and had to page back to see who was speaking. I think it was this failure of the characters to come to life that prevented the story from catching fire for me.
Hugo Scaramuzza
Got this book for free online in pdf format, read most of it on my phone while on the train. Fun, light-hearted fantasy adventure. Got a little too verbose in his descriptions of magical effects, describing in minute detail all the colors and interactions of magical power flying around when spellcasters fight, but otherwise an enjoyable read. Story jumps back and forth between a handful of main characters, so it's a little hard to follow at first, but I liked it.
I had a VERY hard time following which character was currently speaking ... lots of backing up and re-listening and still had a tough time

so, in essence, I got the Cliff Notes version of the book even tho I listened to the whole thing, unabridged.

with that, I'm not sure I can really tell you what the story was about other than what is already available in the synopsis
Four-book fantasy series with a few sci-fi touches. Comes across as being set in someone's RPG gameworld, but it's distinctive enough and it has some clever touches, though you'd have to read all four books to appreciate most of them. Slow starter. I believe Brenner has the full text of book 1 available free on his website.
Where did this author come from? What a surprise. I loved the characters and how they inter-twined in this plot. Very entertaining, not dull at all. Reading the second book now.
Oct 04, 2009 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: signal
Fantasy; swashbuckling. The characters were detailed and engaging. The trick with the detective's viewpoint was very cute.
Michael Mcdougall
Solid, slightly tongue in cheek fantasy adventure.
Aug 11, 2011 Kathy added it
a real interesting and unique read.
Lisa Pennie
Lisa Pennie marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Jason Neuman
Jason Neuman marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Aric Cowett
Aric Cowett marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Dhonia Darick
Dhonia Darick marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
BookeWyrm marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Kaleb marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Ellie's Wolf (After the Crash, #5)
  • Star Dragon
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • Harmony
  • The Prize in the Game (Tir Tanagiri #3)
  • Omnilingual
  • No Rest for the Wicca
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • Scratch Monkey
  • The Element of Fire (Ile-Rien, #1)
  • The Incompleat Enchanter
  • Illegal Magic
  • The Long Run: A Tale of the Continuing Time  (The Continuing Time, #2)
  • Dead Demon Walking (Whisperings, #3)
  • The Magickers (The Magickers, #1)
  • Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica Miniseries, #1)
  • Broken Heart Tails (Broken Heart, #8.5)
  • Ventus

Dance of the Gods (4 books)
  • Spell of Intrigue (Dance of the Gods, #2)
  • Spell of Fate (Dance of the Gods, #3)
  • Spell of Apocalypse (Dance of the Gods, #4)