Matilda's Cat

Matilda's Cat

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Published August 1st 2012 by MacMillan Children's Books

Denis Vukosav
‘Matilda's Cat’ written and illustrated by Emily Gravett is children book about a young girl and her cat, although given the twist at the end of story the order of the main characters might be written in a different order.

A young girl named Matilda loves her cat very much and dressed in a cat costume full of stripes she spends all day trying to find something that her cat would like to do. But it seems that her beloved pet doesn’t share her enthusiasm and doesn’t enjoy doing the things which the...more
Library Princess
Such a sweet story with great detail in the illustrations. Matilda, dressed up as her cat, tries many different activities with her cat but none are to his liking. Nonetheless, the cat goes along because he likes... MATILDA. Adorably sweet, right? The detail in the drawings would make great reading discussion: little cats are strewn throughout many of the pictures. Also, on the "drawing" page, Matilda's pictures feature the earlier activities of her and cat.
babyhippoface
Matilda's cat likes playing with wool. (Not really. He's afraid of that ball of fuzz.)
Matilda's cat likes boxes. (Not really. He's afraid of boxes, too.)
Matilda's cat likes riding bikes. (Not really. You guessed it.)

I'll tell you what Matilda's cat does like: Matilda. (Without the costumes and noises and rambunctious play, of course.)

Gravett gives this cat some great expressions (mostly of horror at Matilda's ideas of "fun") and its personality comes through loud and clear. Any little cat lover...more
Trish
Another delightful picture book from Emily Gravett. Each of her books makes the reader look carefully to see how the text and illustrations play together. Matilda believes her cat loves to do everything that she does, but does he? I may have to buy a copy of this for myself because Matilda's cat looks just like one of mine.
Samantha
Charmingly clever. Text is deceiving in that the reader begins with the assumption that Matilda is a little girl, but soon figure out that the story is told from the cat's point of view.

Simple text is paired with watercolor and colored pencil illustrations making for a great read aloud. PreK-2.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Preschool

Matilda shares all these experiences with her cat and the narrator tries to state that the cat likes to do these things, but each illustration shows quite the opposite. So why does this cat keep sticking around? What does Matilda's cat like?
Mary
This is another cute story by Emily Gravett about a little girl and her cat. The little girl is adventurous and likes to do many things, but her cat doesn't enjoy participating with her. The illustrations are lovely and the story is fun--good for ECE readers.
The Styling Librarian
Matilda’s Cat by Emily Gravett – I missed when this book came out, just love all book creations by Emily Gravett… Really thought that this one was cute with a little girl who assumes that her cat loves everything she does, but you quickly see the opposite.
Beth
Emily Gravett is becoming one of my favorite picture book author/illustrators. Her work is so witty and fun. While I hugely favor dogs over cats, this book made me smile as Matilda's cat reminded me a great deal of my skittish pug Guenter. :)
Carol
Matilda likes to do all the things she thinks her cat loves to do. But does the adorable feline really like tea parties and scary bedtime stories? What does he really love? Gravett's newest picture book is sweet and simply adorable.
Hannah
Matilda, who appears throughout the book dressed in a stripy cat costume, spends all day trying to find something her cat likes to do. The text is repetitive, listing the things that Matilda’s cat ‘likes’ to do, and therefore simple and easy for children to be able to repeat.
The amusing images convey an additional story to the text, revealing that in fact Matilda’s dislikes all of the typical cat-like activities, playing with wool, climbing trees and hiding in boxes. The expressive illustrations...more
Kristina Lareau
As always, fun illustrations in watercolor, lots of white space, a good narrative and a bit of humor. Emily Gravett is a master storyteller.
Edward Sullivan
Another wonderful, playful story perfect for younger children from Emily Gravett, this one about a little girl and her cat.
Elisabeth
Books with lists are so tricky to read for storytime. This, however, will make an excellent one-on-one book.
Marissa Garcia
Excellent for storytime use. Gravett's illustrations are energetic, humorous, and whimsical, as usual.
Marcie
I can see Kindergarten teachers using this as a writing model. The repetition may be fun for young readers.
Meg
This book is so cute! LOVE the illustrations. A good pick for any kids (or adults) who love cats!
Peacegal
This book reminded me of how much I liked to pretend to be an animal as a kid.
Claire
Nice illustrations but not really great for a group storytime
Briana
I don't understand why the words were crossed out.
Polly
Charming, as all Emily Gravett's books are!
Donna
Delightful artwork and cute story!
Amy
Not my fav of Emily Gravett.
Ashley
Mar 18, 2014 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It is funny
Heather
Matilda dresses up like her cat and tries to entice him to do all kinds of 'fun' things.

The expressions on the cat's face are priceless. He is absolutely one of those cats that will sit through whatever a child puts him through and always love her. I thought it was great that Matilda started off with very cat-like activities and then moved on to human activities.
Mary Catherine
I always enjoy Emily Gravett's picture books and Matilda's Cat is another adorable book about a young girl and her cat. Simple words over lovely illustrations, with a bit of repetition throughout the book make this perfect for toddlers just beginning to read.
Nicole
I think I have a little cat just like this at home. Not as good as Gravett's other stories, although I did like the inter textual reference to Dogs, and the cat's expression is gorgeous.
NixLapi
A fun book, beautifully illustrated. I loved the cross-out activity lists. My two-year old didn't appreciate the humor, but we will definitely revisit this one when she's a bit older.
Library Quine
Matilda explores some activities that her cat might like, but he doesn't. Wonderfully expressive feline facial expressions in the illustrations.
Emily has finished her final year of an illustration degree at Brighton University.
She lives in Brighton with her daughter.
More about Emily Gravett...
Orange Pear Apple Bear The Odd Egg Wolves Monkey And Me Blue Chameleon