Matilda's Cat

Matilda's Cat

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Published August 1st 2012 by MacMillan Children's Books

Perfectly Percy by Paul SchmidA Pet for Petunia by Paul SchmidChildren Make Terrible Pets by Peter  BrownXander's Panda Party by Linda Sue ParkSix-Dinner Sid by Inga Moore
2014 PAWS to Read
25th out of 32 books — 2 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
237th out of 318 books — 148 voters

More lists with this book...

Katy
SO STINKING CUTE. Matilda goes through a diverse list of activities, none of which her cat likes. The ending makes this story so I won't spoil it.

Matilda's cat costume, reminiscent of Max from Wild Things, is adorable and showcases their close friendship. The cat's reactions to Matilda's activities are funny, perfectly illustrated, and typical of a cat. A perfect read aloud but it requires the audience's attention.
Library
Such a sweet story with great detail in the illustrations. Matilda, dressed up as her cat, tries many different activities with her cat but none are to his liking. Nonetheless, the cat goes along because he likes... MATILDA. Adorably sweet, right? The detail in the drawings would make great reading discussion: little cats are strewn throughout many of the pictures. Also, on the "drawing" page, Matilda's pictures feature the earlier activities of her and cat.
babyhippoface
Matilda's cat likes playing with wool. (Not really. He's afraid of that ball of fuzz.)
Matilda's cat likes boxes. (Not really. He's afraid of boxes, too.)
Matilda's cat likes riding bikes. (Not really. You guessed it.)

I'll tell you what Matilda's cat does like: Matilda. (Without the costumes and noises and rambunctious play, of course.)

Gravett gives this cat some great expressions (mostly of horror at Matilda's ideas of "fun") and its personality comes through loud and clear. Any little cat lover...more
Barbara
Although Matilda clearly loves her cat, the things she thinks the feline will enjoy doing are not to the cat's liking. The cat does not like playing with wool, fighting with foes or even climbing trees, all activities that Matilda enjoys. But there is one thing that this cat loves--Matilda! Anyone who has spent much time with a cat will relate to this splendidly imaginative book. The author's simple text and illustrations, created with oil-based pencil, watercolor, and colored pencils, show the...more
Denis Vukosav
‘Matilda's Cat’ written and illustrated by Emily Gravett is children book about a young girl and her cat, although given the twist at the end of story the order of the main characters might be written in a different order.

A young girl named Matilda loves her cat very much and dressed in a cat costume full of stripes she spends all day trying to find something that her cat would like to do. But it seems that her beloved pet doesn’t share her enthusiasm and doesn’t enjoy doing the things which the...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Matilda is sure her cat likes many things. Like playing with wool; however, clever readers will be able to guess that Matilda’s interpretations of what her cat likes isn’t quite accurate. Upon turning the page Matilda discovers what the readers already guessed…that perhaps Matilda’s cat doesn’t like “playing with wool.” Instead Matilda tells us another thing that her cat likes. And so on until we discover the one thing that Matilda’s cat really does enjoy.

This is quite a fun little book that wil...more
Kaethe
Matilda's cat doesn't like many things that Matilda would expect it to. But that's okay, because Matilda's cat like her.

The child and the cat are just fabulous. I especially love how Matilda recalls Max in his wolf suit. Brilliant.

Library copy
Beth
Emily Gravett is becoming one of my favorite picture book author/illustrators. Her work is so witty and fun. While I hugely favor dogs over cats, this book made me smile as Matilda's cat reminded me a great deal of my skittish pug Guenter. :)
Caryn Caldwell
Matilda's cat isn't into the things Matilda likes, such as playing with wool, jumping into boxes, or riding bikes. There is one thing the cat likes, though: Matilda.

I love the quirky illustrations, which depict cat behavior so well, and the constantly-revised lists make this one a lot of fun to read aloud. The sweet, loving ending is perfect for a pre-bed reading-slash-snuggle. Because the format is so different, it might be difficult for younger children to catch on to the story, but a little h...more
Kris
Super-simple book that's perfect to hit the Common Core Standard of Print Concepts. The text says "Matilda's cat likes playing with wool," on a page where we see Matilda (so cute in her cat suit) playing with yarn while her cat hides. Turn the page and "playing with wool" is now crossed off and "boxes" is added. Again, Matilda is enjoying the boxes but the cat, not so much.

Pair with "Chester" by Melanie Watt to talk about how the print on the page has meaning and the technique of drawing a line...more
Melle
May 20, 2014 Melle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little girls with cats
Recommended to Melle by: Donell
This is an adorable picture book about a girl who tries to find out what her cat likes and engages in a lot of typical activities that kids are fond of but that some-to-most cats are not. Very sweetly illustrated with warm, colorful, gentle, pastel/watercolor-looking pictures, a funny-faced cat, and a little white girl with blond curls. (This so could have been done with a more diverse protagonist. Sigh.) Still, very cute, very innocuous, and very sweet.
Trish
Another delightful picture book from Emily Gravett. Each of her books makes the reader look carefully to see how the text and illustrations play together. Matilda believes her cat loves to do everything that she does, but does he? I may have to buy a copy of this for myself because Matilda's cat looks just like one of mine.
Samantha
Charmingly clever. Text is deceiving in that the reader begins with the assumption that Matilda is a little girl, but soon figure out that the story is told from the cat's point of view.

Simple text is paired with watercolor and colored pencil illustrations making for a great read aloud. PreK-2.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Preschool

Matilda shares all these experiences with her cat and the narrator tries to state that the cat likes to do these things, but each illustration shows quite the opposite. So why does this cat keep sticking around? What does Matilda's cat like?
Mary
This is another cute story by Emily Gravett about a little girl and her cat. The little girl is adventurous and likes to do many things, but her cat doesn't enjoy participating with her. The illustrations are lovely and the story is fun--good for ECE readers.
Shelli
Emily Gravett adorable yet simple illustrations always dominate her sweet picture books for young readers and listeners. In this adventure a young girl named Matilda is determined to compile a list of things that her cat adores. Unfortunately, this may prove to be a short list; fortunately for Matilda it contains the most important thing of all.
Angela
This is fun cat story with a message that rings true for anyone who's spent time with a feline friend.

Also recommended as fun selection to introduce the concept of editing at the lowest level. This should be a good choice for CCSS support material.

The Styling Librarian
Matilda’s Cat by Emily Gravett – I missed when this book came out, just love all book creations by Emily Gravett… Really thought that this one was cute with a little girl who assumes that her cat loves everything she does, but you quickly see the opposite.
Erin
Super cute. Matilda thinks her cat likes all sorts of things that she likes. Then she discovers that her cat does not like those things. The one thing that Matilda's cat does like is the most important--Matilda!

Good for storytimes.
Carol
Matilda likes to do all the things she thinks her cat loves to do. But does the adorable feline really like tea parties and scary bedtime stories? What does he really love? Gravett's newest picture book is sweet and simply adorable.
Hannah
Matilda, who appears throughout the book dressed in a stripy cat costume, spends all day trying to find something her cat likes to do. The text is repetitive, listing the things that Matilda’s cat ‘likes’ to do, and therefore simple and easy for children to be able to repeat.
The amusing images convey an additional story to the text, revealing that in fact Matilda’s dislikes all of the typical cat-like activities, playing with wool, climbing trees and hiding in boxes. The expressive illustrations...more
Alice
I have a cat that lives at my house...and we aren't the best of friends...we just co-exist...HOWEVER...this book pretty much describes cats to "T" so, there you go!
Michelle Neuwirth Gray
I am pretty sure this is how my cat feels about me. He may not like all the things I want to do, but he does love me and he loves snuggling at bedtime. :)
Maggie KutsBorg
Emily Gravett is one of my favorite authors. This book is hilarious and child-perfect just like all her others, and I love her sketchy illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Another wonderful, playful story perfect for younger children from Emily Gravett, this one about a little girl and her cat.
Janina Rossiter
Matilda's cat was the first Emily Gravett book I have ever read and I have been a huge fan of her work ever since.
Trish
This book is about a girl who dresses up as her cat and does things she thinks the cat would want to do.
Elisabeth
Books with lists are so tricky to read for storytime. This, however, will make an excellent one-on-one book.
Marissa Garcia
Excellent for storytime use. Gravett's illustrations are energetic, humorous, and whimsical, as usual.
Marcie
I can see Kindergarten teachers using this as a writing model. The repetition may be fun for young readers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • Count the Monkeys
  • Maple
  • One Gorilla
Emily has finished her final year of an illustration degree at Brighton University.
She lives in Brighton with her daughter.
More about Emily Gravett...
Orange Pear Apple Bear The Odd Egg Wolves Monkey And Me Blue Chameleon