Start by marking “Matilda's Cat” as Want to Read:
Matilda's Cat

Matilda's Cat

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  541 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
This delightful picture book with Emily Gravett’s signature twist ending sweetly depicts the relationship between a child and her beloved pet.

Matilda is desperate to figure out what her cat will enjoy. She tries everything she can think of: climbing trees, playing with wool, even tea parties and dress-up games, but as Matilda gets more and more creative in her entertainmen
Published August 1st 2012 by MacMillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Matilda's Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matilda's Cat

Perfectly Percy by Paul SchmidA Pet for Petunia by Paul SchmidChildren Make Terrible Pets by Peter  BrownXander's Panda Party by Linda Sue ParkSix-Dinner Sid by Inga Moore
2014 PAWS to Read
25th out of 32 books — 2 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultSkippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Picture Books about Cats
260th out of 369 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaethe
Aug 12, 2015 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
June 20, 2014

Matilda's cat doesn't like many things that Matilda would expect it to. But that's okay, because Matilda's cat like her.

The child and the cat are just fabulous. I especially love how Matilda recalls Max in his wolf suit. Brilliant.

Library copy
babyhippoface
Mar 31, 2014 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Matilda's cat likes playing with wool. (Not really. He's afraid of that ball of fuzz.)
Matilda's cat likes boxes. (Not really. He's afraid of boxes, too.)
Matilda's cat likes riding bikes. (Not really. You guessed it.)

I'll tell you what Matilda's cat does like: Matilda. (Without the costumes and noises and rambunctious play, of course.)

Gravett gives this cat some great expressions (mostly of horror at Matilda's ideas of "fun") and its personality comes through loud and clear. Any little cat lover
Katy
May 06, 2014 Katy rated it really liked it
SO STINKING CUTE. Matilda goes through a diverse list of activities, none of which her cat likes. The ending makes this story so I won't spoil it.

Matilda's cat costume, reminiscent of Max from Wild Things, is adorable and showcases their close friendship. The cat's reactions to Matilda's activities are funny, perfectly illustrated, and typical of a cat. A perfect read aloud but it requires the audience's attention.
Barbara
Although Matilda clearly loves her cat, the things she thinks the feline will enjoy doing are not to the cat's liking. The cat does not like playing with wool, fighting with foes or even climbing trees, all activities that Matilda enjoys. But there is one thing that this cat loves--Matilda! Anyone who has spent much time with a cat will relate to this splendidly imaginative book. The author's simple text and illustrations, created with oil-based pencil, watercolor, and colored pencils, show the ...more
Vivek Tejuja
Nov 04, 2015 Vivek Tejuja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to Emily Gravett’s books by a dear friend and since then I have not stopped reading them. I know I am not a child, but who said children’s books are meant just for children? Picture books are in fact I think meant more for adults who want to escape the drudgery of daily living and hide in a book or a couple of books that make them smile and grin at the end of it all.

Children’s books are therapeutic at best and that is why I love them so much. “Matilda’s Cat” by Emily Gravett is
Library
Oct 26, 2014 Library rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Such a sweet story with great detail in the illustrations. Matilda, dressed up as her cat, tries many different activities with her cat but none are to his liking. Nonetheless, the cat goes along because he likes... MATILDA. Adorably sweet, right? The detail in the drawings would make great reading discussion: little cats are strewn throughout many of the pictures. Also, on the "drawing" page, Matilda's pictures feature the earlier activities of her and cat.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Jun 06, 2014 Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, pets, cats
Matilda is sure her cat likes many things. Like playing with wool; however, clever readers will be able to guess that Matilda’s interpretations of what her cat likes isn’t quite accurate. Upon turning the page Matilda discovers what the readers already guessed…that perhaps Matilda’s cat doesn’t like “playing with wool.” Instead Matilda tells us another thing that her cat likes. And so on until we discover the one thing that Matilda’s cat really does enjoy.

This is quite a fun little book that wil
Beth
Apr 09, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
Emily Gravett is becoming one of my favorite picture book author/illustrators. Her work is so witty and fun. While I hugely favor dogs over cats, this book made me smile as Matilda's cat reminded me a great deal of my skittish pug Guenter. :)
Michelle Gray
I am pretty sure this is how my cat feels about me. He may not like all the things I want to do, but he does love me and he loves snuggling at bedtime. :)
Edward Sullivan
Mar 15, 2014 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Another wonderful, playful story perfect for younger children from Emily Gravett, this one about a little girl and her cat.
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-230h
Caryn Caldwell
Jun 21, 2014 Caryn Caldwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Matilda's cat isn't into the things Matilda likes, such as playing with wool, jumping into boxes, or riding bikes. There is one thing the cat likes, though: Matilda.

I love the quirky illustrations, which depict cat behavior so well, and the constantly-revised lists make this one a lot of fun to read aloud. The sweet, loving ending is perfect for a pre-bed reading-slash-snuggle. Because the format is so different, it might be difficult for younger children to catch on to the story, but a little h
Kristen
Super-simple book that's perfect to hit the Common Core Standard of Print Concepts. The text says "Matilda's cat likes playing with wool," on a page where we see Matilda (so cute in her cat suit) playing with yarn while her cat hides. Turn the page and "playing with wool" is now crossed off and "boxes" is added. Again, Matilda is enjoying the boxes but the cat, not so much.

Pair with "Chester" by Melanie Watt to talk about how the print on the page has meaning and the technique of drawing a line
Mehsi
This was a super adorable book about a girl and her cat.

It was really cute to see Matilda do all kinds of things while her cat either shook in fear, wasn't interested or just walked away or did other stuff, but in the end there is one thing that the cat loved to do and that just had me go awwwwwwwwww. I didn't really expect a good ending with the cat not wanting to do anything. And yes, I know cats, they do whatever the heck they want and whenever the heck they want, but I had hoped that this k
Tasha
Aug 04, 2014 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Matilda thinks her cat loves to do a lot of things. But really, it’s Matilda who loves playing with wool, climbing in boxes, and riding bikes. All of those things scare her cat. It’s Matilda who loves tea parties, hats, and swords. She loves drawing pictures, climbing trees and reading bedtime stories. And she does it all dressed in her cat costume. At the end of the book, Matilda has crossed off all of the things she likes because her cat doesn’t like them and made a huge list of everything her ...more
Melle
May 20, 2014 Melle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little girls with cats
Recommended to Melle by: Donell
This is an adorable picture book about a girl who tries to find out what her cat likes and engages in a lot of typical activities that kids are fond of but that some-to-most cats are not. Very sweetly illustrated with warm, colorful, gentle, pastel/watercolor-looking pictures, a funny-faced cat, and a little white girl with blond curls. (This so could have been done with a more diverse protagonist. Sigh.) Still, very cute, very innocuous, and very sweet.
Maeghan Librarian
Jun 09, 2016 Maeghan Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, love, adorable
This legitimately is me, as a really little kid, trying to relate to my aunt & uncle's angry orange cat... cat suit and all.

Honestly, he probably wasn't an angry cat all of the time. He probably just didn't like me following him around on all fours, meowing, and wearing a paper plate cat mask. Totally understandable.

Matilda's cat may not love a lot of things, but one thing is for sure... She loves Matilda!
Drew Graham
Oct 23, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Matilda's cat likes to do a lot of things. Or is it really Matilda that likes to do those things? What exactly DOES Matilda's cat like?

Now THIS one The Boy (2.5) liked. It had color and fun and portrayed realistic but fanciful little kid activities. The characters are charming and funny, and although I'm not exactly sure how it's meant to be read aloud with the strikeouts and everything, it's sweet without overdoing it and just the right length for a toddler.
AbsentLibrarian
Aug 27, 2015 AbsentLibrarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am loving Emily Gravett's books! Matilda's Cat is wonderful for people with pets. The illustrations capture the quirky and often humorous expressions of cats and the story explores the frustration of trying to interest a cat in, well, anything. The finale is the realization of what IS important to a cat..and will please readers, young and old.
Jenna
Didn't go over as well with my baby storytime group, as it wasn't really the right age range, but I will try it again for a preschool visit. But adorable pictures and the stark white background with the yellow contrast really caught their eyes, even if the humor went over their heads. The two older boys who were here did giggle and laugh.
Trish
Mar 24, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another delightful picture book from Emily Gravett. Each of her books makes the reader look carefully to see how the text and illustrations play together. Matilda believes her cat loves to do everything that she does, but does he? I may have to buy a copy of this for myself because Matilda's cat looks just like one of mine.
Susan
Mar 11, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
loved the illustrations. The cat's expressions sell the book alone. A nice way to explain to little pet owner's that while the cat (or other pets) may not enjoy the same activities as their wee owners, they have gifts all their own.
The only downside is now every kid is going to want that cat suit.
Samantha
Charmingly clever. Text is deceiving in that the reader begins with the assumption that Matilda is a little girl, but soon figure out that the story is told from the cat's point of view.

Simple text is paired with watercolor and colored pencil illustrations making for a great read aloud. PreK-2.
Rebecca Ann
Mar 13, 2015 Rebecca Ann rated it it was amazing
It's Emily Gravett, what's not to like? A little girl keeps trying to tempt her cat with activities she thinks it should enjoy (playing with yarn, climbing trees ...) and it's terrified of them all. There's a heartwarming twist at the end and gorgeous illustrations!
Kelsey
Mar 19, 2014 Kelsey rated it liked it
Age: Toddler-Preschool

Matilda shares all these experiences with her cat and the narrator tries to state that the cat likes to do these things, but each illustration shows quite the opposite. So why does this cat keep sticking around? What does Matilda's cat like?
Mary
This is another cute story by Emily Gravett about a little girl and her cat. The little girl is adventurous and likes to do many things, but her cat doesn't enjoy participating with her. The illustrations are lovely and the story is fun--good for ECE readers.
Shelli
Jul 02, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Emily Gravett adorable yet simple illustrations always dominate her sweet picture books for young readers and listeners. In this adventure a young girl named Matilda is determined to compile a list of things that her cat adores. Unfortunately, this may prove to be a short list; fortunately for Matilda it contains the most important thing of all.
Angela
Jun 13, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is fun cat story with a message that rings true for anyone who's spent time with a feline friend.

Also recommended as fun selection to introduce the concept of editing at the lowest level. This should be a good choice for CCSS support material.

The Styling Librarian
Matilda’s Cat by Emily Gravett – I missed when this book came out, just love all book creations by Emily Gravett… Really thought that this one was cute with a little girl who assumes that her cat loves everything she does, but you quickly see the opposite.
Erin
May 07, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Super cute. Matilda thinks her cat likes all sorts of things that she likes. Then she discovers that her cat does not like those things. The one thing that Matilda's cat does like is the most important--Matilda!

Good for storytimes.
  • Tiptop Cat
  • The Perfect Present
  • Oliver
  • Peek-a-Boo Bunny
Emily Gravett is twice winner of the prestigious Kate Greenaway Medal and the Nestlé Children's Book Prize Bronze Award for WOLVES and LITTLE MOUSE'S BIG BOOK OF FEARS. An author/illustrator of unique talent and tremendous skill, she has a host of critically acclaimed books to her name, including BLUE CHAMELEON, WOLF WON'T BITE! and AGAIN! Emily lives in Brighton with her partner and their daughte ...more
More about Emily Gravett...