Start by marking “My Old Man: A Personal Journey Into Music Hall” as Want to Read:
My Old Man: A Personal Journey Into Music Hall

My Old Man: A Personal Journey Into Music Hall

Former prime minister John Major takes a remarkable journey into his own unconventional family past to tell the richly colourful story of the British music hall. Music hall was one of the glories of Victorian England. Sentimental, vulgar, but patriotic and champion of the underdog, it held a mirror to the audiences' hopes, fears and the general absurdity of life. Vast, ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about My Old Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Old Man

Nicholas Whyte
Jan 27, 2013 Nicholas Whyte rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012, xz, 1212
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2044946.html[return][return]This is a detailed and yet very readable survey of the British music hall, from early days in the 1850s to death by competition from cinema and broadcasting after the first world war. I had not fully realised just how rooted British popular culture is in music hall, even today. It was the source of many well-known catch-phrases. Harry Champion sang "Any Old Iron", "Boiled Beef and Carrots", and "I'm Henery the Eighth, I Am". Harry Clifton ...more
Ken Hall
Sep 20, 2013 Ken Hall rated it it was amazing
Well here's a surprise I never thought I would praising a book written by en ex Tory Pm . However this is a thoroughly well researched book as good on the antecedents of music hall as of the music hall era itself. Character studies of many of the great music hall artistes such as Marie Lloyd, Little Tich, Gus Ellen George Robey and many others famous and not so famous abound and Major makes a very moving tribute to his parents who worked in the music hall in the foreword. I enjoyed this book so ...more
John Newcomb
Jun 02, 2013 John Newcomb rated it really liked it
I loved this book. My Great Grandmother had a brief career in Music Hall and so there was a certain amount of perssonal interest. I heard JM read his hostory of cricket, a subject I have little interest in on Radio Four and the story telling was such that I thoroughly enjoyed the story despite it not being my sport. This however is a subject I love and JM is a master story teller relating the history of the halls with balance and judgment. We have lost so many books by his political career. I am ...more
Katie
Jun 21, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
I have literally just finished this book and at the end of it, I feel excited and happy and....very buzzy. It's the first full bodied piece of work I have ever read on this topic and it sucked you into the genre whole-heartedly.
The books is wonderful. It is a history of music hall, even though in the first chapter, Major says that it is only a small one. This, does not restrict the book though. It opens up so many questions and opportunities for further study.
John Major looked into all sorts of
K.J. Charles
An excellent overview of music hall. Written with great affection and warmth. The chapters about his dad's career, Marie Lloyd and bizarre music hall, in particular, were really engaging and interesting. Lots of great quotes.

I recall the hard time Major got from braying Oxbridge twats on both sides of the political spectrum when his background became known. This book, shamelessly in favour of popular taste ahgainst highbrow sneers, is a terrific belated two fingers to the sneerers and snobs.

I
Clifford Elmer
Oct 13, 2012 Clifford Elmer rated it it was amazing

Do not be confused by the title. This is not a biography of the former British Prime Minister's father but rather a most affectionate portrait of many of his father's contemporaries from the world of British music hall. The author obviously has deep affection for his subject and the book is the best 'general history' of the heyday of music hall I have read. Highly recommended!
Harrison Fuller
A wonderfully detailed book on the origins and fate of music hall, taking in its stars, entrepreneurs as well as its highs and lows. John Major paints a personal and passionate portrait of music hall, providing a wonderful read about an undervalued genre.
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Emma Hartshorne
Emma Hartshorne rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2015
Matthew Aaronson
Matthew Aaronson rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Sara Holliday
Sara Holliday rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Yllacaspia
Yllacaspia rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Ruth Abrahams
Ruth Abrahams rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Robert Davies
Robert Davies rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
David Keogh
David Keogh rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Drew Mcgregor
Drew Mcgregor rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Richard Blant
Richard Blant rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Diana Upite
Diana Upite rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Ron Mitchell
Ron Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2013
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Ipek
Ipek marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2012
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2012
M
M marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2012
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2012
Fiddlypb
Fiddlypb marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2012
Alan White
Alan White is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2013
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Neil Reading
Neil Reading is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2013
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Edward Parsons
Edward Parsons marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Julian
Julian marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Sally Donovan
Sally Donovan marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Liam O'Driscoll
Liam O'Driscoll marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Rob Mackie
Rob Mackie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Dylan McDonald
Dylan McDonald is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Sir John Major, KG, CH.

Member of Parliament from 1979-2001. Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from 28 November 1990 – 2 May 1997.

Invested a Member of the Order of the Companions of Honour (CH) in 1999 and a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (KG) in 2005.

More about John Major...