The Songbird With Sapphire Eyes

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Speakeasies.
Gangsters.
Flappers.

In 1918, Kansas City is Sin City.
Forced to leave home at age fourteen, beautiful Hannah Glidden struggles to survive, but with help from her childhood friend, Meg, mistress to a wealthy married man and her roommate the irrepressible, flapper extraordinaire, Rosie, she thrives as a cabaret singer.

The early 20's roared. Fortunes were made or lo...more
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Published September 14th 2012 by Main Line Productions (first published August 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Songbird With Sapphire Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Songbird With Sapphire Eyes

Maggie Lynch
I am soooooo glad I picked this up at a book signing. Anna has a true gift with dialog. I could hear the accents, the slang, the differences between character's background from the first page. In addition, her ability to capture the sights, sounds, and smells of the city makes the story play like a movie in your head. To understand the clash of cultures, the disdain for tradition, and deep desire for freedom from the past in that decade, you need to see the 1920's from the perspective of the wor...more
Tina Jacobsen
I really enjoyed this book and the time period. My book didn't have a lot of errors in it like some of the other reviews so maybe it had been updated?

The ending, while true to that time was disappointing for me because I was hoping for a happy ending and could picture in my mind how that would look.
Well written and good read!
Carol Smilgin

An excellent read!
Tragedy and a sense of doom hover over this well crafted story of the "roaring" twenties as Hannah, the "Songbird With the Sapphire Eyes", endeavors to balance the long sought-after independence she's worked so hard to achieve and the obsessive love of her mob-affiliated lover, Johnny Gallo, who has given her the world.

April Aasheim
My first completed read of the New Year and it did not disappoint. Gangers, flappers, sex. I was completely immersed in the author's 1920 world. Great fun (and some sadness too). Looking forward to a sequel!
Jerry Roylance
I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it to anyone. Loved the story and characters and my highest praise is I will be willing to read it a second time. Well researched and well written.
Katey Burgess lmt
Personally, grammatical errors in a published work are a pet peeve of mine. However, once I was able to get past the odd quotation placements and the author's confusion of the proper use of than/then, I was pleased to find a decent plot and characters that engaged me in the story. I found myself empathizing with both the main protagonist and her love interest, as well as hating both of the characters for their vices (characters are never good unless they are flawed). Overall, I enjoyed the story...more
Sum1
I enjoyed both the story and the characters in this book. At times I found Hanna's naivety frustrating but I think it's fair to say we have all turned a blind eye to things for an easy life, especially with loved ones.

Without giving away too much, I really liked the fact that the end of the story suited the character profiles that had been built throughout the book and the author wasn't tempted to sway in order to provide a genre friendly finale.

The typo's are a little distracting but not enoug...more
Abby Ross
i love the feel of the old days it was something new that i was skeptical about at first but it worked out well. definitely enjoyed all the characters and the plot.
Danette V
Feb 15, 2013 Danette V marked it as to-read
I have this in my amazon account as a free download!
Natalie Schomas
Natalie Schomas marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Michelle S
Michelle S marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Stunning Mess
Stunning Mess marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sammy
Sammy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Amy Houser
Amy Houser marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
MadLoveBookBlog
MadLoveBookBlog marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Antonela
Antonela marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Kay Pluger
Kay Pluger marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Shenae Broadbent
Shenae Broadbent marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Squomosa
Squomosa marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Emy
Emy added it
May 15, 2014
Libbie
Libbie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
SittinPretty
SittinPretty marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Casey Adams
Casey Adams marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Anna (which is her real first name) was a bookworm almost since birth and was recognized as a writing PRO by Romance Writers of America in 2002. An active professional member of Willamette Writers, RWA and the Rose City Romance Writers. Anna grew up in Philadelphia and graduated from Philadelphia’s, University of the Arts where she majored in Illustration. She pursued a successful and versatile ca...more
More about Anna Brentwood...