Start by marking “The Day of Reckoning” as Want to Read:
The Day of Reckoning

The Day of Reckoning (The Baxter Series #2)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  11 reviews
One man's hatred sets off a community crisis in a chilling page-turning read that is also startlingly inspirational. Textile magnate G. R. Logan lays off a thirty-year employee who dies weeks later, and the man's son means to make Logan pay. In her second novel in the dramatic Baxter series, Kathy Herman unleashes a kidnapper's unresolved anger and explores the honest dept ...more
Published April 2nd 2002 by Multnomah Books (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Day of Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day of Reckoning

This book was alright. There were several things I found annoying and convenient, but overall not too bad of a read.

The main problem I have with Herman's writing style is that no matter who dies or who gets hurt in her books, everyone is perfectly fine by the end. It doesn't matter that Sherry, Rebecca, and Wayne are dead, everybody is perfectly fine. Just... NO. That WOULD NOT happen! Everything that happens in this book is very predictable. Wayne tells Rebecca he would rather kill himself than
DAY OF RECKONING is the second novel in The Baxter Series by Kathy Herman. When the Logan Textile plant closed five years ago, it was upsetting to the community and its workers. Feeling betrayed by the young G.R. Logan, who closed the plant so he could using cheaper labor in Costa Rica and raise his revenue, someone decides he should be punished. When G.R.’s daughter and her best friend are kidnapped, the town is shocked. When they find out it’s payback for the plant closure, a mixture of feelin ...more
This was another one of my random choices from the library. I didn't realize it was a Christian book when I picked it up. I tried hard to not be turned off by all the obvious, preachy references, but the author made it harder and harder as the book progressed. Even considering myself quite a religious person, it's hard to imagine a real person talking to another real person and saying something like "All I know is I've put my life in Jesus' nail-scarred hands." Seriously? Who says that?
But that'
Dec 19, 2007 Daniel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Well, let me say that at first I was leery of reading this book, for a couple of reasons: 1) It was second in the series, and I hadn't read the first book; 2) I was worried it was going to be another cheesy Christian story that didn't seem to be real---and by real I mean have no semblance to real life. With that said let me say that I am glad that I read this book. It was very true to life. Both from a believers perspective to the secular side. Also, it was a stand alone book, that could be read ...more
The Day of Reckoning was one intense book. I enjoyed continuing to read about all the people of the town of Baxter. This story line of kidnapping was written in a very different, real and raw way. I will continue with this series, as Kathy Herman has become one of my favorite authors.
Judy Wise
Wow, what a story. This is written by a christian author, and it is about 2 young teenagers that are kidnapped and how it effects them and the small town where they live.

It started out with explanations and the middle was a little slow reading but the last several chapter I could not read fast enough.

Hint! You will need your hankies but you will also be glad you took the sime to read this book.

This is the second book in the Baxter Series. I did not read the first one and do not feel as though I
This is the second book I have read after stumbling ascross her section at the library and she has nailed both books fantastically. She is my new favorite author her stories are engaging, thought provoking and heart wrenching all at the same time.
The upsetting but compelling story of two teen-aged girls who are kidnapped for revenge. Book two in the Baxter Series contains unfolding events that are unpredictable.
Dode Wessel
This book will make you think about whether you really live your fatith in ALL things...very motivating and quick moving of my favorites in the series
Pamela Leinenweaver
Awesome book so touching love these stories of how God guides and directs
Aug 26, 2009 Elaine added it
Book 2 in the Baxter Series
Chesney marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Sallie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Kaylene marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Andor Zensko
Andor Zensko marked it as to-read
Andor Zensko
Andor Zensko marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Kathy is currently reading it
June Austin
June Austin marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Samantha Shaw
Samantha Shaw marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Roy Bonner
Roy Bonner marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Sonya marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • Storm Surge (The Storm Series #3)
  • Life Everlasting (Santee, #2)
  • Justifiable Means ( Sun Coast Chronicles, #2)
  • Footsteps
  • Abduction (A Shefford-Johnson Case, #1)
  • A Quarter for a Kiss (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #4)
  • A Killing Frost (River Dance, #1)
  • The Still of Night (A Rush of Wings #2)
Best-selling suspense novelist Kathy Herman has written twenty novels—including the Secrets or Roux River Bayou Series, Sophie Trace Series, the Seaport Suspense Series, and the Phantom Hollow Series—since retiring from her family’s Christian bookstore business. She and her husband, Paul, have three grown children and live in Tyler, Texas.
More about Kathy Herman...

The Baxter Series (5 books)
  • Tested by Fire
  • Vital Signs (The Baxter Series #3)
  • High Stakes
  • A Fine Line (Baxter Series, #5)

“When silence is God's only voice,
And waiting on Him my only choice,
A banner of faith I humbly raise
And offer a sacrifice of praise.
Though answers He may not impart,
Forever I can trust His heart.”