Start by marking “The Moon's Revenge” as Want to Read:
The Moon's Revenge

The Moon's Revenge

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Seppy forces the moon to give him his wish, to be the maker of enchanted fiddle music, but almost pays a horrible price for it.
Published October 12th 1987 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Moon's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon's Revenge

X
Jul 29, 2008 X rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this when I was maybe 12 and have loved it since. It's a fairy tale sort of story about a boy who wants to be the best fiddler in the land. Following the advice of whispered voices (devils? angels?) in an abandoned room, he throws his shoes at the moon, thereby bringing the moon's wrath upon him and eventually his village in the form of a seven year curse. Alan Lee's beautiful illustrations help to bring the story to life.
laurenpie
Oct 04, 2013 laurenpie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
A fiddle, a monster and lots of shoes: you can't go wrong!

This is without a doubt my all time favorite children's book! My kids adored it when they were young, and still do. I have such fond memories of reading it to them! We would go to the SDSU library once a week and read this book. Sigh. Smile.

The story is sweet and adventurous and the artwork is truly lovely.

Incidentally, this story does an excellent job of showing how if you love music you will practice a lot, and if you practice a lot, yo
Kat
Dec 27, 2014 Kat rated it it was amazing
I found this book quite by chance, looking for something to read to my son (he's four). Although there are some ins and outs of the story that are still beyond him, he loves it, and has asked for it again and again (as four-year-olds do).

As for me, I love it too; it's beautifully told, and the illustrations are beautiful as well (I have a hard time with children's books with ugly or deliberately crudely executed illustrations; kids need beautiful things too--perhaps even more than grown-ups, who
R.L.
Aug 26, 2014 R.L. rated it liked it
This book was given to my son in 1987.

I felt the story was well-written and beautifully illustrated, but it is far too complicated for young children or even early readers. It is perfect for later grades or even middle-school. But by middle-school children don't necessarily want a picture story book.
Anthony Faber
Feb 14, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it it was amazing
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... kids' book. A fairy tale about a boy who angers the Moon to get a wish. It "explains" why the Moon is all marked up. Good for what it is.

Gerriane
Jul 02, 2012 Gerriane rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was 7 or 8 and I loved the illustrations! The story itself is also beautiful but it's been such a long time since I've read the book that I've forgotten most of it. All I remember is a dragon, shoes, a fiddler and his sister.

MUST.FIND.COPY.

For those who already have a copy/have seen a copy, READ IT RIGHT NOW! I promise you it'll be a ride to remember.
Rosemary
May 20, 2013 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a small child and I loved it. I still remember it now as an adult. Must read it again some time.
Kayli
Jul 13, 2015 Kayli rated it really liked it
This was marvelous! Quite a different story, well-told, with excellent pictures.
Jessica Lanan
Mar 08, 2009 Jessica Lanan rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites since I was a child. I love the illustrations the most.
Sem
Dec 11, 2011 Sem rated it really liked it
The 4 stars are for the illustrations. The story is daft.
Petra Avontuur
Petra Avontuur marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Karen Barclay
Karen Barclay rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Mariecris Gan
Mariecris Gan rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Kimberly Ternura
Kimberly Ternura marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Sutton
Sutton marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Dark Raven
Dark Raven rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Anjelik Sanchez
Anjelik Sanchez is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2016
Ifonly
Ifonly rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Jessica Hilton
Jessica Hilton marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Panpacaerphilly.Gov.Uk
Panpacaerphilly.Gov.Uk marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Madison
Madison rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Lisa Burkes
Lisa Burkes rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Siananigan
Siananigan rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Robyn added it
Mar 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
12075
Joan Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE has been in print for over 50 years with a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza. She was known as a writer of wild fantasy, Gothic novels and unforgettable short stories.
NEW COLLECTION 2016 - The People in The Castle https://www.goodread