Start by marking “The Moon's Revenge” as Want to Read:
The Moon's Revenge

The Moon's Revenge

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Seppy forces the moon to give him his wish, to be the maker of enchanted fiddle music, but almost pays a horrible price for it.
Published October 12th 1987 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Moon's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon's Revenge

X
I first read this when I was maybe 12 and have loved it since. It's a fairy tale sort of story about a boy who wants to be the best fiddler in the land. Following the advice of whispered voices (devils? angels?) in an abandoned room, he throws his shoes at the moon, thereby bringing the moon's wrath upon him and eventually his village in the form of a seven year curse. Alan Lee's beautiful illustrations help to bring the story to life.
laurenpie
A fiddle, a monster and lots of shoes: you can't go wrong!

This is without a doubt my all time favorite children's book! My kids adored it when they were young, and still do. I have such fond memories of reading it to them! We would go to the SDSU library once a week and read this book. Sigh. Smile.

The story is sweet and adventurous and the artwork is truly lovely.

Incidentally, this story does an excellent job of showing how if you love music you will practice a lot, and if you practice a lot, yo
R.L.
This book was given to my son in 1987.

I felt the story was well-written and beautifully illustrated, but it is far too complicated for young children or even early readers. It is perfect for later grades or even middle-school. But by middle-school children don't necessarily want a picture story book.
Anthony Faber
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... kids' book. A fairy tale about a boy who angers the Moon to get a wish. It "explains" why the Moon is all marked up. Good for what it is.

Gerriane
I read this book when I was 7 or 8 and I loved the illustrations! The story itself is also beautiful but it's been such a long time since I've read the book that I've forgotten most of it. All I remember is a dragon, shoes, a fiddler and his sister.

MUST.FIND.COPY.

For those who already have a copy/have seen a copy, READ IT RIGHT NOW! I promise you it'll be a ride to remember.
Rosemary
I read this book as a small child and I loved it. I still remember it now as an adult. Must read it again some time.
Jessica Lanan
One of my favorites since I was a child. I love the illustrations the most.
Sem
The 4 stars are for the illustrations. The story is daft.
Claco
Claco added it
Dec 07, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
jessica
jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Lindenizen
Lindenizen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Gary Masskin
Gary Masskin marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB
More about Joan Aiken...
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)