Start by marking “Perfect Timing” as Want to Read:
Perfect Timing

Perfect Timing

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  6,480 Ratings  ·  346 Reviews
Poppy Dunbar is out on her hen night when she meets Tom Kennedy. With his dark eyes and quirky smile, he could lure any girl off the straight and narrow, but what really draws Poppy to him is the feeling that she's known him all her life. She can't go through with the meeting they arrange - but she can't go through with the wedding either. Suddenly notorious as 'The Girl W ...more
Published August 7th 2006 by Headline Book Publishing (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Timing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Timing

Nan
Jul 11, 2011 Nan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
For a long time, I've been confused. I thought Jill Mansell was another pseudonym for the woman that writes as Sophie Kinsella, and I could not understand why I liked the Mansell books so much and wanted to throw the Shopaholic book across the room.

Turns out I was wrong. They are not the same person.

That's good to know. All I can say about this one is that it was sweetly romantic and fun. The characters, for all their absurd behavior at times, were frightfully real. They struggled with the inabi
Kellie
May 27, 2008 Kellie rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd Mansell book I have read and I enjoyed this one as much as the first! This is light reading drama. Great beach read! I call this Brit Chick Lit. It is light and funny and full of surprises. A bit far fetched at times but nothing to take away from the fun! This one is about Poppy. While out on her “hen night”, Poppy bumps into a stranger named Tom and she hit with “love at first sight”. So much so, she calls off her wedding and moves to London. She moves in to an apartment owned b ...more
Tina
May 23, 2011 Tina rated it liked it

The night before her wedding during her bachelorette party (or Hen night as the Brits call it), Poppy meets a man to whom she is incredibly attracted. Tom, a dark-haired, dark-eyed handsome doctor implores her to meet him after the party is over and not to go through with the wedding.

While Poppy chooses not to meet Tom, she does indeed call off the wedding. She realizes that if she goes through with it, it would be a big mistake. Her groom and his large family do not let her off easily
Ne
May 03, 2012 Ne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca
Tenho tanta coisa para dizer que neste momento nem sei por onde começar. Não, não se assustem, são tudo coisas boas!
Vamos começar então pelo inicio, este foi um dos pontos altos do livro. Cheio de acção e tensão, Jill Mansell atira-nos logo para um trio meio confuso que nos vai fazer roer unhas para saber como se vai resolver. O que eu não estava à espera era do que vinha a seguir, que, por seu lado, não tem muita relação com este inicio. O Tom e o coitado do ex-noivo vão desaparecer e só aparec
Sana Noor
Nov 20, 2011 Sana Noor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Unputdownable! Glued to my hands!

Jill Mansell is my absolute favourite author. She weaves this amazing tale that funny, serious and lovable! You come to love all the characters in her books, even the ones who in the end aren't the most perfect.

Poppy meets her soul mate on her hen night, and the next day its her wedding. She finds out her father isn't her father and that love can be found in the strangest of situations. So, she goes to London. Moves in with complete strangers, who in a years time
Gretchen
Jan 14, 2010 Gretchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edited-proofread
Oh, how I truly love working on Jill's books for Sourcebooks.
Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord)
I really enjoyed the breezy story of a young woman re-inventing her life. On the eve of her wedding, Poppy meets a man who could have been THE ONE. Thinking about this, she reevaluates her feelings for Rob and realizes that she cannot marry him. In the ensuing bru-ha-ha, it is revealed to Poppy that the man who has raised her is not her biological father. This suddenly puts a new perspective on their relationship, as Mervyn has always been distant with Poppy.

Armed with this information, Poppy is
Maggie
Sep 26, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it
Too much language and immoral behavior. This is my least favorite Jill Mansell book.
Margarida Cruz
Começo a ficar sem palavras para comentar os livros desta autora. Quando me perguntam como são os seus livros, as suas histórias, as suas personagens, só me lembro de adjectivos como fantásticas, hilariantes, fenomenais, magníficas, estupendas, geniais... Afinal, para mim, é isso mesmo que são.

A verdade é que Jill Mansell nunca me desilude. Por mais e mais que leia da sua autoria, as expectactivas são sempre superadas. Folheio as páginas dos seus livros com um sorriso nos lábios ou uma gargalhad
Bnice
Jul 03, 2012 Bnice rated it really liked it
“Perfect Timing” "SPOILER ALERT"

Poppy Dunbar, red head, slim and full of life is at her bachelorette party when she bumps into Tom Kennedy. She instantly feels like she has known him all her life. She gets mixed feelings about how her life will be when she marries Ron McBride. Her life would be so plain and simple and she loved Rob, but realizes she is not IN LOVE with him. Tom Kennedy helps Poppy with her foot when she fell outside the club. When her friend comes outside to look for her, she fi
Violet90
Feb 26, 2012 Violet90 rated it did not like it
This book was too long for my liking. I HATED how Poppy thought she was in love with Tom at first only by meeting him once then breaking off her wedding with Rob and searching for Tom for like a year and then when they were finally together ditch him and go back to Caspar. I didn't like Caspar at all because he was a man whore and I don't know he just didn't click for me. I would have liked it if Poppy was with Tom because he loved her and they just seemed good together. I hated Poppy because sh ...more
Filipa
Acerca do Encontro Inesperado, adorei como já era de prever. Do início ao fim, foi delicioso.
Ainda tenho dois livros dela por ler e mais um para comprar, mas ela diverte-me sempre.
Adoro a escrita dela, as personagens que ela cria e os enredos. Adoro a forma como ela brinca com os acontecimentos e tem sempre alguma surpresa.
Estou muito contente.
Os livros da Jill deixam-me sempre super bem disposta.
Este não foi excepção.
Gostei muito da ideia dela e de brincar com o destino. Todas as reviravoltas
Serena
Nov 09, 2009 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm now a Jill Mansell junkie! Perfect Timing is an ironic title for this British chicklit novel because nothing is perfectly timed in this novel, from Poppy's last minute decision to jilt her fiance hours before their wedding to finding her biological father after years of not knowing she wasn't living with him.

"'The thing is,' Poppy prevaricated, 'my room's only tiny.'

'And who am I, two-ton Tess? All I'm asking for is a bit of floor space.' Dina was wheedling now. 'I'll sleep under the bed if
Jane Stewart
It kept my interest but I can’t recommend it. It’s chick lit with a romantic happy ending.

I was frustrated and angry with stupid actions. I did not like Poppy’s best friend Dina who was so obnoxious and unlikeable that she reflected poorly on Poppy. But I don’t want to fault this too much because bad characters do make stories better. Several parts of the story were good. And I loved the happy ending. It was a surprise.

Stupidity:

1. Poppy works for Jake an antiques dealer. She and Jake are at an
Maile
Aug 01, 2011 Maile rated it did not like it
I feel like even one star is being generous but as the book came to a close I realized that it was not the worst book I ever read. No, more than anything this book was like an outline for a decent story. The characters were barely fleshed out and the dialogue was weak, but the plot itself was interesting enough.

What's worse is that I spent the majority of this book not caring about the fate of the characters. If I'd had another book handy I'd no doubt give up on this and not think twice about i
Sue
Oct 07, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't quite sure what to expect, having never read a Jill Mansell novel before. But a friend lent me this book and recommended it, so I started it a few days ago. It begins with Poppy, on the night before her wedding, meeting a rather attractive stranger after falling down some steps...

I thought the characterisation was great. Caricatured in places, to be sure; but Poppy was a believable, untidy, disorganised romantic who I warmed to almost immediately. There was a large cast of characters,
Carla
Apr 04, 2013 Carla rated it really liked it
I must admit that at times I can not control the fact that I love an author and lose her only to find her once again.
Ms. Mansell will not disappoint. I have read multiple books by her and with life catching up and moving, I found I lost her - only to be reunited with Perfect Timing.
Poppy Dunbar has met someone - the one she believes is the "one" the night before her wedding, when she calls off the wedding, finds out her father is not her real father (she is a result of an affair her mother had)
Kimiko-K
Oct 24, 2014 Kimiko-K rated it it was amazing
The clever and witty way Mansell weaved multitude of characters' life into the flow of the story with each one interesting in their own way, is marvellous.

I think the reason I like it so much is she doesn't harp on an event or a character's mental emotional state for too long, so the story keeps moving and every chapter feels fresh. That saying, nothing was brisk over but slowly explored through her exceptional writing skills and Brit humours (oh boy do I love them).

Her knack to turn the most mu
Debbie
Nov 06, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

This was your typical fun chick lit book. Poppy is so oblivious and kind hearted that you can't help but like her even as you shake your head over her bumbling. The rest of the crew was just as interesting with Dina, the girl you have to hate for the way she treats her husband and neglects her baby and Claudia who you want to hate and yet still feel sympathy for. The story definitely keeps you guessing as to who Poppy will ultimately end up with. Will it be Tom, the
Els
Jan 21, 2016 Els rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een boek van Jill Mansell, daar kan ik heel kort over zijn : ze zijn, in mijn ogen, geweldig. Romantiek, komische situaties, misverstanden, onzekerheden, verlangens en, met als kers op de taart, steeds een happy ending. Het zijn feel good verhalen maar toch is niet alles altijd rozengeur en maneschijn. Vaak komt er ook een heel triest maar reël aspect in voor.
De cover is leuk en doet je al onmiddellijk glimlachen, de titel is dubbel. Waar eerst niet echt van een 'perfect timing' kan gesproken wo
Ayesha Bblogger
Oct 17, 2015 Ayesha Bblogger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Ayesha by: Goodreads
Perfect Timing was my first Jill Mansell novel and I liked it so far as it contained all that nice blend of chick lit humor and slang. However, I was disappointed as the characters were not framed out well and I was thoroughly disgusted at the behaviour of Poppy's abhorrible friend "Dina". But the ending was a nice surprise and I was pleased that Dina learned her lesson well, even though she was a side character and I did not like the fact that she was given so many roles to play in this book.
Nik
Aug 24, 2012 Nik rated it really liked it
Shelves: romcoms, chick-lit, own
I read this book a while ago. It is absolutely adorable. It is unpredictable,witty,charming and romantic. Poppy is bubbly and downright loveable. All in all , an adorable chick-lit book with the most incredible storyline & characters !

And as for the ending, I will just leave you with this

description
Pepperpots
Jul 21, 2016 Pepperpots rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
It's been ages since I've read one of Jill Mansell's books. I enjoyed this one ... perfect for my week off. I know it was first published in the 1990s but it was a bit disconcerting to read the odd reference to how awesome Gary Glitter was!!
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
This was a good book. Classic chick lit. Fast read that was fun, lighthearted, engaging.

See my full review at: http://everyfreechancebookreviews.blo...
Aug 06, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A fun read!
Heather
Jan 15, 2017 Heather rated it liked it
I loathed Dina and the Claudia's mother... I think Dina should have lost everything... she was so hurtful to her husband.... this is the first book where I didn't like the couples... I just didn't see Poppy with Caspar... I would have had her get with Jake... but I think it had a lot to do with again.. and I see this books all the time... not enough interaction with the love interest....

I liked Rita and Poppy's relationship with her... and then Tom was just... brought in... the story didn't rea
Christine Rennie
Jan 07, 2017 Christine Rennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
As always very entertaining and a good easy weekend read.
Highly enjoyable and recommended.
Cb
Oct 16, 2016 Cb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm on a Jill Mansell spree. She's incredible at what's she does with her characters and the unpredictability of the plot. Loved this book.
Tink
Aug 31, 2015 Tink rated it liked it
***SPOILER ALERT***

Poppy was due to have the best day of her life, in a total of five hours. Up until she ran through her, soon-to-be husband's door and admitting that she didn't want to marry him in the end. All down to a certain someone, who Poppy had met on the night of her hen night and fell in love at first sight. With a total stranger.

After what seemed like an eternity of putting up with angry relatives, and the total shock of finding out the father she'd once loved and always knew. Turne
Leandra
Romancezinho light com muitas voltas e reviravoltas... Bom para quem quer passar o tempo.
  • Geknipt voor jou
  • Wild Designs
  • Girl Meets Ape
  • Love Always
  • Glazuur
  • Single en Sexy
  • Mad About the Boy
  • Lizzy Harrison Loses Control
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • O Ano Tem Doze Homens
  • Welcome to the Real World
Jill Mansell lives with her partner and children in Bristol, and writes full time. Actually that’s not true; she watches TV, eats fruit gums, admires the rugby players training in the sports field behind her house, and spends hours on the internet marvelling at how many other writers have blogs. Only when she’s completely run out of displacement activities does she write.

Jill Mansell's books have
More about Jill Mansell...