Start by marking “Being of Two Minds” as Want to Read:
Being of Two Minds

Being of Two Minds

Connie Hendricks was a typical American teen except for her dizzy spells, when she would pass out. When this happened, she entered the mind and soul of Prince Rudolph, the fourteen-year-old heir apparent of Thulgaria, a small European country. Prince Rudolph had spells too, when he entered Connie's mind and life. Everything was just fine, and their "trick" was their specia ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published October 24th 1992 by Fawcett (first published October 31st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Being of Two Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being of Two Minds

Aug 06, 2009 Azar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Service favorite and one of the few of hers I managed to get my hands on when it first came out. It has since fallen out of print like many others. :-\

The premise *sounds* like standard science fiction fare: Connie is an American teenager, Rudy is the heir apparent to a tiny European kingdom, and they've been psychically linked ever since they can remember. That link comes in handy when Rudy's position puts him in danger. But one of my favorite things about this book is that the psychic
Kim Coleman
Connie is a fourteen year old girl who experiences "episodes". she will pass out for a couple hours and her mind will connect with a fourteen year old prince living halfway around the world. for their whole life, they've been experiencing this, going back and forth between each others minds. but when Prince Rudy is kidnapped, its up to Connie to save him. little by little she puts the pieces together from what she sees from his mind.
i really enjoyed this book. it was very fun and excited but als
Juniper Shore
This was one of my favorite books as a teenager, and I'm sorry that it's so hard to find nowadays. As another reviewer has noted, the lack of romance is a major relief. For once, two teenagers can cooperate without the faintest hint of lovemaking in the air.

The plot is implausible, but that's okay because the real story is in the characters--their longstanding secret relationship, their attempts to meet in person, and finally their close teamwork to foil the villains. It's a sweet book, with ple
Julie Decker
Connie and Prince Rudolph have a curious connection: Though they've never met in person, they spend time in each other's heads. Having been born at the exact same time, they've had a lifelong experience of regularly scheduled blackouts in which they seem passed out in their everyday life but are actually conscious in the other person's head, looking out through their eyes (though there is no exchange of thoughts). These two kids grow up with this being part of life, and they learn about each oth ...more
A very simple, uncomplicated YA story about telepathy (sort of). I read this for the first time when I was about thirteen. I found the total lack of romance refreshing, and I enjoyed the American main character's travels in Europe.
Jul 25, 2012 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favourite of my young adult years.
This book's premise is a little bizarre, and I didn't really mind that it was never explained "how" or "why." (Main character Connie has fairly predictable blackouts in which her consciousness enters Prince Rudolph's mind across the ocean, where she's an observer for a short time before waking up again. Rudolph has the same deal where he travels to her mind. They've lived with it since they can remember and have determined they were born at the same exact time.) Part of the story is just about h ...more
Jun 02, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Y'all I was lying awake 2 nights ago and this book popped into my head because I remembered that the kidnapping in this book took place when Connie was chilling in Rudolph's mind while he was asleep. And I made it my quest to find out the name of it, and Google helped me out. I probably read this book in like 1997. Holllla for weird late-night thoughts.
Jul 12, 2014 Drucilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s
Actual rating: 3.5 stars. A very interesting concept not written as well as it could have been. The writing feels like a middle grade novel and yet the protagonists are teens. They also act younger than their ages and their dialogue isn't really realistic at all.
Uziah Mcdonlald
Jun 20, 2014 Uziah Mcdonlald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is so cool i love this read in 2 days i might read again :)
Nov 28, 2007 Mary-Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Another tale by Service about an empathic link between two teens. This time the characters are only far apart in space and social station rather than time. An engaging read. The author is fairly good at writing teenagers from what I recall - or maybe she was only good at writing the sort of teenager I wished I was.
Jan 02, 2012 Magda rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, childrens, own
Read December 2011.

Read November 1, 2007:
I remember reading and re-reading this book so many times. It is similar in tone to Andre Norton's The Prince Commands, and they are both similar to Prisoner of Zenda.

I just wish it were longer or had a sequel.
For a book that's aimed at children, "Being of Two Minds" by Pamela F. Service, does a fine job acting as a gateway to speculative fiction for young readers. Even for those who've long been a reader of the genre, would find this to be a easy and fun read.
Nov 12, 2013 Mindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just thought of this book today for some reason. I loved it as an early teenager but haven't read it for many years so I can't really comment too much on how good it really is. Interesting plot idea for sure.
Autumn Renae
Dec 26, 2013 Autumn Renae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Good book, but short. I really enjoyed the way she made the characters fit so well together...
Oct 15, 2008 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-lit, 2006
Saved it from the weeding pile, ended up weeding it anyway. No great shakes.
Jul 10, 2009 Nikita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its not very realistic but the story is gud
Flor Lara
Flor Lara rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Wei rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Katy rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
C marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Alicia rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Kylee rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Starr rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
E rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Tay❤ added it
Jul 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Juniper Game
  • The Mermaid Summer
  • Alien Secrets
  • Flying in Place
  • The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2)
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • The Brownie and the Princess & Other Stories
  • Harbrace College Handbook
  • Dragon of the Lost Sea
  • Cooking For Dummies
  • Contact Imminent (Jani Kilian Chronicles, Book 4)
  • This Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall! (MacDonald Hall, #1)
  • The Chestry Oak
  • Through the Hidden Door
Born in Berkeley, California, Pamela F. Service grew up loving to hear, read, and tell stories - particularly about weird stuff. Pamela earned a BA in Political Science from UC Berkeley followed by an MA in history and archaeology from the University of London.

She spent many years living in Bloomington, Indiana, writing, serving on the city council, and being curator of a history museum. She has
More about Pamela F. Service...