Start by marking “Victoria Line, Central Line” as Want to Read:
Victoria Line, Central Line

Victoria Line, Central Line

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,318 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Millions of people travel on London's tube every day, yet we usually give our fellow passengers only a cursory glance. But each one of these nameless passengers has their own story to tell.

At Notting Hill, the mysterious secretary, harbouring her secrets, travels to work; at Highburyand Islington, Adam has a sudden change of heart; and at Holborn, a disastrous reunion is a
Published April 1st 1993 by Arrow (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Victoria Line, Central Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victoria Line, Central Line

Janice Shellenberger
By far my least favorite Binchy book. Don't get me wrong: Each short story is brilliant. My complaint? Liked the characters way too much to say goodbye to them so quickly.
Obsidian
Mar 02, 2015 Obsidian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Maeve Binchy. I honestly really did cry when I head that she had passed away. I have been reading her novels and short stories for so many years I was just used to her books. No matter what she was always an automatic buy for me. I have not had a chance to read all of her books so decided to go back and read the ones I have not up until now.

I really did enjoy London Transports. I do think that she was a very fine teller of short stories and wish that more authors out there would do short
Tortla
I only read "Marble Arch," but there wasn't really an option to review a single short story so I guess I have to settle for the compilation it's from.

The story was decent: well-realized characters and a straightforward narrative which gradually fleshed out their lives (with pointed sympathy toward the protagonist). Her martyrdom was a bit annoying, though. I presumed that it was some sort of feminist critique of working women as being trapped rather than liberated by the supposed freedom to love
Melissa
Oct 05, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ummm...did you know I was an anglophile? :) Do I need say more?

This book is a collection of short stories by this gal, Maeve Binchy, who I believe is from Dublin. So all the characters use phrases like ‘rubbish’ and ‘bloody.’ And they call the television the ‘telly’. What is this bloody rubbish on the telly?? :)

It’s such a good book! There’s about 17 little snippets from the lives of different English women at particular moments. It’s like a Sex and the City where the women refer to their boyfri
Shannon
Jan 20, 2008 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-stuff
C.J. Prince
May 26, 2014 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maeve Binchy is one of my newest finds, recommended by friend Barbara Gobus who knew exactly what I needed to read at this moment. I wanted into the Eclipse Used Bookstore in Bellingham and found a stack of Maeve Binchy's just waiting for me for a very reasonable price.

"London Transports" may not be the most intriguing title but give it a chance. This would be a great summer reading book if you're off on holiday and don't want to lug along a tomb with a complex plot.

Twenty two vignettes, each ju
Em
Jun 22, 2014 Em rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories titled by the tube stops of London. I didn’t realize the collection was so old as I was reading them because they are set in various time frames and they seemed contemporary. I learned when I looked up the publication date that a couple of the stories were written before the collection & retitled to fit the theme. Binchy has a way of making every character she writes of come to life – even in just a few pages. I enjoyed each one, but if I had to choose f ...more
Bruce Reiter
Apr 25, 2015 Bruce Reiter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely marvelous set of short stories. I still do not understand authors who leave the resolution up to the reader. Ms Binchy does me one better. Every resolution is 180 degrees opposite of what I expected from the characters. Is it cultural? Is it the Man/Mars Woman/Venus debate? Ms Binchy is a feminist and there aren't many good things said about males in her stories. The stories place the characters in different settings with a variety of plot lines guaranteed to keep the reade ...more
Boots S
Whether it's the sudden snapping of bonds between lovers or shopping on Oxford Street, Maeve Binchy finds the unexpected truth in experiences so real that every woman will recognize them. Filled with her delicious humor and warmth, the twenty-two stories in London Transports will delight and captivate as they take us to a place that is far away--and yet so familiar... ...Where having an affair with a married man brings one woman to a turning point ...Where another finds that looking for an apart ...more
Manab
Mar 01, 2016 Manab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
একেকটা বই নিয়ে এরকম হয়। শুরুতে একরকম চলে যাচছিলো, দুই তিন গলপ পরে গিয়ে মেজাজ পুরা ছেড়ে দেই মা, ও ঘরে গিয়ে কাঁদ - মতন অবসথা।
শেষে গিয়ে আমার জনয অনতত রীতিমত আনপুটডাউনেবল বনে গেছলো এই একই বই। এইটা যদি চিক লিট হয় আমি চিক লিট পড়তে অতযানত আগরহী। এই বইয়ে ভদর মহিলার অনেকগুলি গলপ, যেগুলি আগে দুইটা বইয়ে (একটা ভিকটোরিয়া লাইন, আরেকটা সেনটরাল) ছাপা হইছিলো। পরতযেকটা গলপ কোনো না কোনো বাস সটযানডের (আদতে মনে হয় মেটরো) নামে। কী চিজি চিনতা করেন!
গলপগুলি, শেষের দিকের, মানে সেনটরাল লাইনেরগুলি বিশেষত, কত ভালো আপনি চিনত
Mary
Oct 22, 2014 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a used book sale because it was a Maeve Binchy book I had not read. It is a series of short stories written in the late 1970's and early '80's. Although it was a bit dated (no cell phones and one woman kept track of her business with a loose-leaf binder instead of a computer), the stories were vintage Binchy: stories about women, their sometimes-disappointing romantic relationships and trying to make it in the world. Most of the stories had either a twist or a moral at t ...more
Andrew
Oct 18, 2011 Andrew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
They weren't short stories: they just felt unfinished.
3 stories in, I gave up!
Sterlingcindysu
Jan 25, 2014 Sterlingcindysu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this was a book of short stories until I started. It's a great premise, take a tube line (or "metro" if you're in DC, but in London it's the tube--and not one mention of "mind the gap.") and make up a story of characters either traveling through, or meeting there, or getting on or off.

Binchy died in 2012 and I've read many of her books during the 1980s--in fact, I tend to get the characters mixed up or in the books when she references her other books, I think, perhaps I've read
Louise Mundt
Jan 09, 2013 Louise Mundt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valget faldt på “Skæbner Undervejs” af Maeve Binchy, da det blev tid at vælge bog til februar måned af Bogudfordringen 2011: Novellesamlinger. Jeg har længe haft bogen stående i reolen – så længe, at jeg faktisk helt havde glemt, at den stod der.

Jeg er generelt stor fan af Maeve Binchy og synes, at hun har skrevet utrolig mange gode bøger. Jeg har imidlertid ikke læst nogen af hendes noveller før, så jeg var meget spændt på, hvad jeg ville synes om dem.

Novellerne tager alle udgangspunkt Londons
Graceann
Oct 10, 2010 Graceann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
Maeve Binchy is great at relationships - how people interact with one another, whether they've been together for a day or many years, is something she writes about with great flair. I admired the concept of Victoria Line/Central Line, and the first story about a woman stuck on the Tube and dreading the meeting that is to come when she is "freed," fed into my expectation that the stories would dwell on the people we see on public transport, and our secret wonderings about them. This wasn't always ...more
Lizzy
May 21, 2015 Lizzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally like short stories, I didn't realise this was a short story book until I started. I waited till about half way through when I realised that the stories weren't suddenly going to interlink into a full blown story. Saying that I really enjoyed reading a short story book, my husband liked it to! I wasn't up late trying to find out what happens.

I enjoyed this book, peaceful reading, short stories with some intrigue but not too much drama. Relaxing, easy, bedtime read.
Leah Wendt
Nov 18, 2012 Leah Wendt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes short stories with rich character development.
This was one of the first books I read by Maeve Binchy. I bought it after I'd visited London. I was hungry for more of London. London Transports is a series of short stories, each story's title is also the name of a London Tube stations. My favorite story is King's Cross - a story about a young woman who gets a job as the assistant to an aspiring woman manager. The young woman named Eve helps her "boss" Sara Gray to reinvent first her office space, then her image, and ultimately transforms her p ...more
Cigdem
Mar 28, 2016 Cigdem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each story in the book takes a different underground stop in London, and recounts the lives of women around these stops, and how their lives intersect with others'. The stories that unfold are sometimes tragic and are sometimes happy-making, but always presented with a wicked sense of humor. It is just the right level of light reading I needed to work on my French.
Tanya
Not my cup of tea. I thought I would enjoy the short-story format as I was traveling while reading this and I could read a story or two here or there during my downtime, but I found most of the stories to be depressing. I tried to enjoy taking a peek into someone else's life and especially their thoughts when they encountered a conflict, but it wasn't that interesting to me the problems that these characters faced. It's not that I just couldn't relate, because I do enjoy a book that takes me som ...more
Panthère Rousse
Présentation de l'éditeur
Qu'ont en commun Julia, une vierge de vingt-neuf ans surprise dans un sex-shop, Olive, une directrice d'hôtel un peu trop proche de ses clients réguliers, et May venue seule à Londres dans le plus grand des secrets? Tout comme Helen, Margaret, Jane, Vera et les autres héroïnes. Que Maeve Binchy a réunies, elles révèlent chacune un versant de la vie au féminin, un aspect du destin auquel une femme peut être confrontée au cours de son existence. Elle s'attarde à des thèmes
Nancy
Aug 06, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes short stories can leave me feeling like I just got a small taste of the story and wishing for more. This set of stories was entertaining and self-contained, so that at the end of each I knew that I had received the impression the author had meant to deliver.
Marie Mcewen
I was between books, as in couldn't find a really good book so made do with this. Quite enjoyed it though. Having travelled on the London Underground for years making up stories about people this was a delight and bridged the gap perfectly.
Lissa Reed
Mar 03, 2016 Lissa Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old favorite

I always come back to Maeve Binchy's books, and this one especially. I find the stories here to be a bit of a downer, emotionally, but they're so distinct and descriptive that I find them compelling all the same.
Sharon Zink
Maeve Binchy writes well, and I try to read all her books. This is a collection of short stories, which I don't prefer to begin with. I wonder if most of these were written while she was trying to free herself from writers' block.
Lola
Oct 17, 2012 Lola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of short stories but got this book 'cuz I wanted to read some Binchy. I'm really waiting for her new book "A Week in Winter".
King's Cross was a great story: Sara Gray has been making her boss look good without receiving credit for her ideas. Along comes Eve, who takes a job as Miss Gray's secretary in the travel agency. Eve immediately begins teaching & showing Sara how to dress, talk, & promote herself. In six months, Sara has her boss's job. Eve stays only long enough to
Gena Stack
I enjoyed the short stories very much. I like the way Maeve Binchy develops characters, so sometimes it was a little difficult to let them go do quickly. I prefer to read her novels, but this was a very good collection.
Judy
Apr 25, 2015 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Uneven quality to these stories, and in a few of them I felt a bit cheated because the conclusions simply didn't make sense. Nothing really memorable here. I much prefer Binchy's novels.
Robin
Nov 18, 2014 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could have liked it more, but the most recent Binchy that I read was also a collection of short stories. I was/am ready for something more substantial with regard to storyline, plot, etc.
Samantha Anderson
This collection of short stories was a very bland book. The premise is that each of the stories is based on one of the stations on either the Victoria Line or Central Line on the London Underground. Some of the links to the stations were very weak, such as the main character of a story getting a tube train from the station!

I finished it because I kept hoping the next story would be better developed. At times I felt that Maeve Binchy was trying to write in the style of Roald Dahl's "Tales of the
Clayton Yuen
Good series of short stories.

Again, all are disjunct and unrelated (of course) and, hence, not as good as Binchy's novels.

Three stars for interesting stories with a little bit of bite!
  • Wild Mountain Thyme
  • Masha
  • Healing With The Angels Oracle Cards
  • The Gilded Cage
  • The Tavern on Maple Street
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
More about Maeve Binchy...