Start by marking “Stranded” as Want to Read:
Stranded

Stranded

A Strand In the Web

The Restorers travel the universe fulfilling a purpose handed down through the generations. They live and die aboard city-ships, never knowing the worlds they create and save. What begins as a disastrous training exercise in creating and balancing ecosystems becomes an unexpected fight for survival. The only hope may be the secret project of an untried R
Published August 24th 2012 by Bell Bridge Books

To ask other readers questions about Stranded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranded

Suzanne
Nov 15, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the three stories was A Strand in the Web by Anne Bishop - I loved the concept and the (literal) world building. A Host of Leeches was also good- especially the first half. The third story was ok, but I didn't connect with it as much.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Oct 11, 2012 ♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-fi lovers
This anthology is a fabulous read. For those who love Ms. Anne Bishop, her story is very different than her existing novels, with the tiny exception of her favourite reoccurring motif - webs. There are three great writers brought together to write stories about being stranded.

Stranded by Anthony Francis is a jumbled yet intriguing world. This novella is a 3 star. Mr. Francis possess great ideas. His concept for this story is sound. His execution was a bit shaky for me. The world building was cr
Laura P.
Mar 26, 2017 Laura P. rated it really liked it
A strand in the web by Anne Bishop was a sweet, original and entertaining short story. Loved it!

And no I didn't bother to read the other stories, sorry!
Angela
A really good collection of three science-fiction stories with a similar underlying theme of being stranded, whether it is in outer space, a solitary planet or a giant cylinder-come-military hospital.

A Host of Leeches by James Alan Gardner.
Fun story about a girl who wakes up on a military space station after contracting a contagious disease - along with everyone else on the island she was on. Although the only human awake on this station, there are a host of military robots engaged in their own
Stephen Hull
Nov 14, 2015 Stephen Hull rated it it was ok
Quite the curate's egg, this. Jim's story (which is the reason I bought the book) was, as usual, great fun and wonderfully written (although he does get a bit bogged down in technical explanations sometimes). The sly references to The Wizard of Oz were nicely handled (I almost LOL'd when he referred to some emerald green paint on the walls) and the snappy pace kept the reader entertained right to the finish. Unfortunately, the book didn't end there...

I apologize if this sounds snobbish, but the
Tess
Jun 14, 2015 Tess rated it liked it
Eh. It was OK. The first story, A Host of Leeches by James Alan Gardner was my favorite. A Strand in the Web by Anne Bishop was why I bought the book, I love her Black Jewels books. This story was good, but predictable. Stranded by Anthony Francis was just confusing. There were too many new ideas crammed into one small story, poorly developed characters, and the overarching morals were not well incorporated into the plot. If the moral was the point, then the plot was not written well around it.

O
Angela
Dec 01, 2015 Angela marked it as deals  ·  review of another edition
1 December 2015: $1.99 on Kindle
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Oct 28, 2012 Lori L (She Treads Softly) rated it really liked it
Stranded by Anne Bishop, Anthony Francis, James Alan Gardner features three science fiction novellas that share "stranded" as a common theme.
All of the stories feature young protagonists so this collection could easily be classified as YA.

In "A Host Of Leeches" by James Alan Gardner Alyssa is a young woman who wakes up, alone, after suffering from some sort of plague. She discovers she has been left on a space station and that all the other infected humans on the station are frozen. The station
Dragana
Oct 10, 2012 Dragana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of thought-provoking science fiction and young adults
Stranded is an anthology containing three science fiction stories featuring young adult protagonists (16 years or so) who are stranded in space and placed in charge of their fate. Without condescending to the age group, we are given a moral message of right vs. wrong and how our actions influence not only our lives but the world around us too.

A Host Of Leeches
This story has a promising start. Alyssa wakes up after getting sick in an unknown hospital without memory how she got there. As she explo
Kathy Davie
Nov 24, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
An anthology of three short stories for young adults revolving around a theme of being stranded.

The Stories
James Alan Gardner's "A Host of Leeches" is an odd mix of science fiction, paranoia, and the cartoonish. I definitely could see a Saturday morning cartoon based on this, although the audience is more likely to be conspiracy theorists.

Alyssa is the lucky one, the one experimented upon in a secret space station where plague victims were sent. She's also the unlucky one as she seems to be the
Clare O'Beara
Mar 27, 2015 Clare O'Beara rated it really liked it
This exciting collection on a theme of being stranded pits young people against system failures, aliens and biological catastrophe.

James Alan Gardner wrote A Host of Leeches about Alyssa who wakes up alone on a hospital space station. She has only robots and her damaged symbiont to talk to, and discovers that she is quarantined as a plague sufferer, along with other cryogenically frozen sufferers, and the robots are all war machines. Devoid of enemies and dumped here after the war was averted, t
Sarah Hulcy
Oct 11, 2012 Sarah Hulcy rated it really liked it
Three thought-provoking, short stories of young people stranded in some manner in space. Each story features situations that have to be dealt with by the teens/young adults who have been placed in charge of their lives in various ways, whether intentionally or not.

One is a "city-ship" from earth charged with atoning for the devastation visited on other species by humans, millennia in the past. This takes the form of carefully seeding other planets with everything needed to establish a balanced e
Jen
Apr 22, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
This was an interesting collection of 3 short stories. The overarching theme was of course being 'Stranded' in some way.

The first one: Host of Leeches by James Alan Gardner is about a young girl who wakes up alone in a hospital unsure how she got there or where anyone else is. The beginning was a bit slow but it was ultimately fairly satisfying.

The second one: A Strand in the Web by Anne Bishop was about a group of humans flying from system to system restoring worlds to balance. It is never exp
Gemma
Jun 01, 2016 Gemma rated it liked it
I purchased the book because I love everything Anne Bishop: I loved reading her voice in a sci-fi rather than fantasy setting. All three are coming-of-age stories set around the individual authors definition of what it could mean to be "stranded" in the science fiction genre:

A Host of Leeches: The Authors Note sets the scene much better than I ever could so I'll just say read that for a summary/intro! I quite enjoyed this one: it is my first exposure to anything written by J. A. Gardner. Unfamil
Shay Williams
Dec 24, 2012 Shay Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
I don't tend to read many compilations of short stories or novella simply because I prefer a longer length for my books. This gives the author much more room for character development and I don't have to say goodbye to new friends quite as quickly. That being said when I saw that Anne Bishop was trying her hand at science fiction I just couldn't resist.

I found that I really enjoyed A Strand In The Web and A Host Of Leeches. The main characters were easy to relate to and the stories themselves we
Steph
Oct 01, 2012 Steph rated it really liked it
Members of a Yahoo group that I'm on recommended Anne Bishop as an author I might like. When I noticed this book on Net Gallery I picked it based on that recommendation. I'm glad I did.

The first short story A Host of Leeches by James Alan Gardner is about a girl who is "stranded" on a spaceship. I really enjoyed this story and I will be searching for more of his work. He built an interesting world and I liked his characters.

The next short story is A Strand in the Web by Anne Bishop. I loved thi
Crystal
Aug 19, 2015 Crystal rated it liked it
Stranded is comprised of three novellas

A Host of Leeches was the strongest of the three pieces. There's a clear arc, there's resolution, etc. The characters are well written, and the premise of a girl waking up alone on a satellite full of old military tech run by AI's works.

A Strand in the Web was not what I'd hoped for. Bishop is one of my favorite authors, but I felt like I was reading a novella in a series where I hadn't read the central books. She tries to world build on too grand a scale a
Kerry
Oct 27, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, 10, anthology, 2012
A STRAND IN THE WEB by Anne Bishop

I bought this anthology for the Bishop story after reading an extract on her website. It's taken me a while to get to read it to I thought it was excellent. It's a very clever twist on some interesting ideas and I really liked them. I admit I could kind of see where the story was going in the big picture but it didn't matter at all because it was executed so well and I didn't know exactly how the characters were going to react or respond.

I highly recommend the
Nicole Luiken
Three novellas inspired by the theme 'Stranded'. All with teen protagonists.

A Host of Of Leeches by James Alan Gardner
A girl wakes alone on a space station. Strong beginning with good tension throughout and an interesting setting full of talking robots. I enjoyed Gardner's Expendable series and it was nice to read something new by him.

A Strand in the Web by Anne Bishop.
A student project to restore life to a planet grows into something more as the Restorers city-ship begins to fail around them. V
Merciella Heartstorm
I only bought this book for Anne Bishop's tale, and it didn't disappoint! Very imaginative, one of her better short stories which I really liked. There's a hippy hidden inside this outwardly grumpy, steampunk self of mine. So I liked reading about the world building, and the way humanity interacts. Go read it, it's a good story. The others...meh. They were ok, but I felt like Anne's story was the one that really made the book.
Doranna Durgin
Sep 30, 2012 Doranna Durgin rated it it was amazing
This three-story collection is an awesome read, from James Alan Gardner's precise mastery of prose in A Host of Leeches to the heart and soul of Anne Bishop's A Strand in the Web. Anthony Francis' Stranded is somewhat slower to get off the ground, but in the end it delivers a thought-provoking story in an imaginative setting. It was a delightful read, and goes on my keeper shelf.
Rachelle
Oct 19, 2012 Rachelle rated it really liked it
"A Host of Leeches" by James Alan Gardner made me smile; "Stranded" by Anthony Francis made me feel uncomfortable and on edge. The memorable story for me: "A Strand in the Web" by Anne Bishop; it was involving and spell-binding, about Balance, atonement, the connections linking all things, and second chances.
Amy
Aug 30, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
I am looking forward to reading this book, I am a big fan of Anthony Francis's work and im looking forward to reading Anne Bishop's story. I haven't read any of James Alan Gardner's work but it will be good to read his work as well.
Michelle
Feb 02, 2017 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
I really liked the first two stories (James Allen Gardner and Anne Bishop) but couldn't finish the third. Looks like I draw the line at spacefaring centaurs.
Michelle Rimmer
Jan 08, 2014 Michelle Rimmer rated it really liked it
As with any collection of short stories, parts of this book are better than others. Anne Bishop's story is definitely the best of the three, with the last story in the book being the one I enjoyed the least.
Krista
Aug 04, 2013 Krista rated it really liked it
I have always enjoyed Anne Bishop's books and stories. The other two authors I was not familiar with. However, these three stories work well together and it was an enjoyable read. I may have to check out the other author's works. After I finish the stack of other books waiting for me. :-)
Beth
Apr 22, 2013 Beth rated it liked it
While I enjoyed the Bishop story, the other two were disappointing. They ended abruptly and seemed to part one of longer stories.
Mars
Oct 08, 2012 Mars rated it really liked it
I loved the first two stories, and I liked the premise of the third, but I found it disturbing for some reason.

I think Anne's story should be required reading for all politicians.
Lara
Nov 23, 2016 Lara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
A re-read of Anne Bishop's "A Strand in the Web". Such a beautiful novella. Bishop absolutely nails the characters and the idea of a dying ship seeking out a new world to colonize. A solid read.
Kathyb
Mar 29, 2013 Kathyb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with other anthologies, I really liked two of the stories in this book and the third, not so much.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • Liaden Unibus II (Adventures in the Liaden Universe #7-12)
  • The Compleat Terminal City
  • Doorways to Extra Time
  • The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)
  • The Death Trip
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • WhiteSpace: Episode 1
  • Invisible Sun (Hell's Cross, #2)
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Air
  • Orchid, Volume 1
  • UnCONventional
  • Tight Little Stitches on a Dead Man's Back
  • Blood Zero Sky
  • The Edge of Darkness
  • Zombie Island (Shakespeare Undead, #2)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel, Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestseller list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop...