Start by marking “Stranded” as Want to Read:

Stranded

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Three Great Authors-Three Great Science Fiction Stories

A Strand In the Web

New York Times Bestselling Fantasy Author Anne Bishop makes her U.S. debut in Science Fiction with this engaging futuristic novella. The Restorers travel the universe fulfilling a purpose handed down through the generations. They live and die aboard city-ships, never knowing the worlds they create an
Published August 24th 2012 by Bell Bridge Books

To ask other readers questions about Stranded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranded

Tess
Eh. It was OK. The first story, A Host of Leeches by James Alan Gardner was my favorite. A Strand in the Web by Anne Bishop was why I bought the book, I love her Black Jewels books. This story was good, but predictable. Stranded by Anthony Francis was just confusing. There were too many new ideas crammed into one small story, poorly developed characters, and the overarching morals were not well incorporated into the plot. If the moral was the point, then the plot was not written well around it.

O
Angela
A really good collection of three science-fiction stories with a similar underlying theme of being stranded, whether it is in outer space, a solitary planet or a giant cylinder-come-military hospital.

A Host of Leeches by James Alan Gardner.
Fun story about a girl who wakes up on a military space station after contracting a contagious disease - along with everyone else on the island she was on. Although the only human awake on this station, there are a host of military robots engaged in their own
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This anthology is a fabulous read. For those who love Ms. Anne Bishop, her story is very different than her existing novels, with the tiny exception of her favourite reoccurring motif - webs. There are three great writers brought together to write stories about being stranded.

Stranded by Anthony Francis is a jumbled yet intriguing world. This novella is a 3 star. Mr. Francis possess great ideas. His concept for this story is sound. His execution was a bit shaky for me. The world building was cr
Clare O'Beara
This exciting collection on a theme of being stranded pits young people against system failures, aliens and biological catastrophe.

James Alan Gardner wrote A Host of Leeches about Alyssa who wakes up alone on a hospital space station. She has only robots and her damaged symbiont to talk to, and discovers that she is quarantined as a plague sufferer, along with other cryogenically frozen sufferers, and the robots are all war machines. Devoid of enemies and dumped here after the war was averted, t
Shay Williams
I don't tend to read many compilations of short stories or novella simply because I prefer a longer length for my books. This gives the author much more room for character development and I don't have to say goodbye to new friends quite as quickly. That being said when I saw that Anne Bishop was trying her hand at science fiction I just couldn't resist.

I found that I really enjoyed A Strand In The Web and A Host Of Leeches. The main characters were easy to relate to and the stories themselves we
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Stranded by Anne Bishop, Anthony Francis, James Alan Gardner features three science fiction novellas that share "stranded" as a common theme.
All of the stories feature young protagonists so this collection could easily be classified as YA.

In "A Host Of Leeches" by James Alan Gardner Alyssa is a young woman who wakes up, alone, after suffering from some sort of plague. She discovers she has been left on a space station and that all the other infected humans on the station are frozen. The station
Sarah Hulcy
Three thought-provoking, short stories of young people stranded in some manner in space. Each story features situations that have to be dealt with by the teens/young adults who have been placed in charge of their lives in various ways, whether intentionally or not.

One is a "city-ship" from earth charged with atoning for the devastation visited on other species by humans, millennia in the past. This takes the form of carefully seeding other planets with everything needed to establish a balanced e
Steph
Members of a Yahoo group that I'm on recommended Anne Bishop as an author I might like. When I noticed this book on Net Gallery I picked it based on that recommendation. I'm glad I did.

The first short story A Host of Leeches by James Alan Gardner is about a girl who is "stranded" on a spaceship. I really enjoyed this story and I will be searching for more of his work. He built an interesting world and I liked his characters.

The next short story is A Strand in the Web by Anne Bishop. I loved thi
Kathy Davie
An anthology of three short stories for young adults revolving around a theme of being stranded.

The Stories
James Alan Gardner's "A Host of Leeches" is an odd mix of science fiction, paranoia, and the cartoonish. I definitely could see a Saturday morning cartoon based on this, although the audience is more likely to be conspiracy theorists.

Alyssa is the lucky one, the one experimented upon in a secret space station where plague victims were sent. She's also the unlucky one as she seems to be the
Jen
This was an interesting collection of 3 short stories. The overarching theme was of course being 'Stranded' in some way.

The first one: Host of Leeches by James Alan Gardner is about a young girl who wakes up alone in a hospital unsure how she got there or where anyone else is. The beginning was a bit slow but it was ultimately fairly satisfying.

The second one: A Strand in the Web by Anne Bishop was about a group of humans flying from system to system restoring worlds to balance. It is never exp
Dragana
Oct 18, 2012 Dragana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of thought-provoking science fiction and young adults
Stranded is an anthology containing three science fiction stories featuring young adult protagonists (16 years or so) who are stranded in space and placed in charge of their fate. Without condescending to the age group, we are given a moral message of right vs. wrong and how our actions influence not only our lives but the world around us too.

A Host Of Leeches
This story has a promising start. Alyssa wakes up after getting sick in an unknown hospital without memory how she got there. As she explo
Kerry
A STRAND IN THE WEB by Anne Bishop

I bought this anthology for the Bishop story after reading an extract on her website. It's taken me a while to get to read it to I thought it was excellent. It's a very clever twist on some interesting ideas and I really liked them. I admit I could kind of see where the story was going in the big picture but it didn't matter at all because it was executed so well and I didn't know exactly how the characters were going to react or respond.

I highly recommend the
Bekdona
Absolutely loved it :)
Doranna Durgin
This three-story collection is an awesome read, from James Alan Gardner's precise mastery of prose in A Host of Leeches to the heart and soul of Anne Bishop's A Strand in the Web. Anthony Francis' Stranded is somewhat slower to get off the ground, but in the end it delivers a thought-provoking story in an imaginative setting. It was a delightful read, and goes on my keeper shelf.
Rachelle
"A Host of Leeches" by James Alan Gardner made me smile; "Stranded" by Anthony Francis made me feel uncomfortable and on edge. The memorable story for me: "A Strand in the Web" by Anne Bishop; it was involving and spell-binding, about Balance, atonement, the connections linking all things, and second chances.
Krista
I have always enjoyed Anne Bishop's books and stories. The other two authors I was not familiar with. However, these three stories work well together and it was an enjoyable read. I may have to check out the other author's works. After I finish the stack of other books waiting for me. :-)
Amy
I am looking forward to reading this book, I am a big fan of Anthony Francis's work and im looking forward to reading Anne Bishop's story. I haven't read any of James Alan Gardner's work but it will be good to read his work as well.
Michelle Rimmer
As with any collection of short stories, parts of this book are better than others. Anne Bishop's story is definitely the best of the three, with the last story in the book being the one I enjoyed the least.
Mars
I loved the first two stories, and I liked the premise of the third, but I found it disturbing for some reason.

I think Anne's story should be required reading for all politicians.
Beth
While I enjoyed the Bishop story, the other two were disappointing. They ended abruptly and seemed to part one of longer stories.
Shelley Dean
Shelley Dean marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Andrea Gillespie
Andrea Gillespie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Helen Grindstaff
Helen Grindstaff marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Anna-louise Fleet
Anna-louise Fleet marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
S Ward
S Ward marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)
  • Tight Little Stitches on a Dead Man's Back
  • WhiteSpace: Episode 1
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Companions to the Moon
  • Doorways to Extra Time
  • UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • The Wandering Earth
  • UnCONventional
  • Air
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Blood Zero Sky
  • The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)
  • Orchid, Volume 1
  • The Emo Bunny That Should
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel,Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestsellers list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop...
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1) Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) Written in Red (The Others, #1) Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)