Start by marking “The Garden: A Parable” as Want to Read:
The Garden: A Parable

The Garden: A Parable

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  9 reviews
With The Garden, centuries of Tibetan Buddhist wisdom are brought to life for readers by one of its greatest Western teachers, Michael Roach. Through a parable in which a young man is brought into a mystical garden by a beautiful embodiment of Wisdom, Roach presents the pantheon of great Tibetan teachers. The nameless seeker lured to the garden meets the dominant historica ...more
Published February 15th 2000 by Image

To ask other readers questions about The Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Garden

Curt
Oct 26, 2007 Curt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystic
What can I say, yet another incredible book by Gesha Michael Roach.

I really enjoy his writing style and this is a wonderful book about walking the spiritual path. It has a real touch to it, not like some books that make it seem like walking the spiritual path is this easy task.

Go get yourself a copy today!
Dawn
as a newb to tibetan buddhism, this was very helpful for me! the parable format relieved the (completely self-imposed) pressure to learn learn learn! and allowed me to gain an appreciation for the flow of the story. surely a metaphor for enjoying the steps of the path while we're walking it.
Kupie
Wonderful ideas! (Though these ideas using a parable was distracting for me. Some concepts may have easier to present -- such as the humor or coompassion of enlightened beings -- but a lot of the dialogue seeded forced or choppy. Still, I liked reading it.)
Kimmy
Go ahead and change my mind about it all. Lay out the path for me, and what can I do but follow it? Thank you for organizing everything I've been trying to learn. Thank you for being my teachers. Cannot wait to read again.
Karol K
Hard to stay with it at first. Glad I did.
Found answers I was looking for. Hope you decide to read and stick with it. I found the chapter on death, of course, the most difficult reading.
Bryan
I like the different approach to Buddhist teachings. Recommended, stick with it through the end.
Abhishek
A very beautiful way if conveying the core Buddhist teachings.
Mark W. Cole
This book has been very important to my spiritual development.
Emily
May 22, 2007 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to learn about Tibetan Buddhism
Shelves: yoga
All about karma and emptiness.
Arthur Kato
Arthur Kato marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Tsogzolmaa Sundui
Tsogzolmaa Sundui marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Donna Tipping
Donna Tipping marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
How Yoga Works The Diamond Cutter: The Buddha On Managing Your Business And Your Life The Essential Yoga Sutra: Ancient Wisdom for Your Yoga The Tibetan Book of Yoga: Ancient Buddhist Teachings on the Philosophy and Practice of Yoga Karmic Management: The Secret Laws of Karma that will Create Success in All Aspects of Your Life