Start by marking “The Garden: A Parable” as Want to Read:
The Garden: A Parable

The Garden: A Parable

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  9 reviews
With The Garden, centuries of Tibetan Buddhist wisdom are brought to life for readers by one of its greatest Western teachers, Michael Roach. Through a parable in which a young man is brought into a mystical garden by a beautiful embodiment of Wisdom, Roach presents the pantheon of great Tibetan teachers. The nameless seeker lured to the garden meets the dominant historica ...more
Published February 15th 2000 by Image

To ask other readers questions about The Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Garden

Oct 26, 2007 Curt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystic
What can I say, yet another incredible book by Gesha Michael Roach.

I really enjoy his writing style and this is a wonderful book about walking the spiritual path. It has a real touch to it, not like some books that make it seem like walking the spiritual path is this easy task.

Go get yourself a copy today!
as a newb to tibetan buddhism, this was very helpful for me! the parable format relieved the (completely self-imposed) pressure to learn learn learn! and allowed me to gain an appreciation for the flow of the story. surely a metaphor for enjoying the steps of the path while we're walking it.
Wonderful ideas! (Though these ideas using a parable was distracting for me. Some concepts may have easier to present -- such as the humor or coompassion of enlightened beings -- but a lot of the dialogue seeded forced or choppy. Still, I liked reading it.)
Go ahead and change my mind about it all. Lay out the path for me, and what can I do but follow it? Thank you for organizing everything I've been trying to learn. Thank you for being my teachers. Cannot wait to read again.
Karol K
Hard to stay with it at first. Glad I did.
Found answers I was looking for. Hope you decide to read and stick with it. I found the chapter on death, of course, the most difficult reading.
I like the different approach to Buddhist teachings. Recommended, stick with it through the end.
A very beautiful way if conveying the core Buddhist teachings.
Mark W. Cole
This book has been very important to my spiritual development.
May 22, 2007 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to learn about Tibetan Buddhism
Shelves: yoga
All about karma and emptiness.
Pembe added it
Oct 27, 2015
Elena Petrenko
Elena Petrenko marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Michelle Campbell
Michelle Campbell marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Betsy Greenlee
Betsy Greenlee marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Tiia marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Constance Haugland
Constance Haugland marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Hadassah marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Marsha marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Zbrisebois marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Alicia Guzzy
Alicia Guzzy marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Mila Anjinha
Mila Anjinha marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015