Letters from Nuremberg: My Father's Narrative of a Quest for Justice

New Hardcover with dust jacket
Published September 11th 2007 by Crown

Ken
Jan 13, 2009 Ken rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, civil libertarians
I read some excellent books in 2008, but this is probably the best non-fiction work of the year for me. One one level, it's a pretty straightforward read; other than an explanatory preface and some notes, this is simply a reprint of letters from one of the lawyers at Nuremberg (Christopher Dodd's father, Thomas Dodd ) writing home to his wife. Seems simple enough, really.

But this was Nuremberg, and Thomas Dodd not only had a front row seat for the proceedings, he was also a strong advocate for t...more
Charlaralotte
Feb 10, 2008 Charlaralotte rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Charlaralotte by: Father
Shelves: read-in-2008
Skip the first part of the book and go straight to the letters that Dodd wrote his wife while working as one of the head attorneys at the Nuremberg War Crimes Trial. You can hit the first part later...

I completely agree with Tom Dodd's reasons for bringing this collection out--to show that the U.S. did not always make a farce out of world justice (note Guantanamo), and that Nuremberg was a prime example of the victors restraining themselves properly.

The story of Dodd's rise from random attorney...more
Jeannie
Feb 07, 2008 Jeannie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeannie by: Susan
Aside from the fact that this book was clearly an election ploy by Mr. Dodd, it was OK. It has some interesting "behind-the-scenes" accounts of the Nurnberg trials. But I also felt like Thomas Dodd was an extremely unreliable narrator of the story - he claimed to not be interested in politics, yet he clearly was (and indeed, became a U.S. Representative in 1952, just a few years after he came back from Germany). He claimed to not be petty, and in the next sentence, he would make petty comments a...more
Kathleen Hagen
Letters from Nuremberg: My Father’s Narrative of the Quest for Justice,
Christopher J. Dodd. Produced by Tantor Media, downloaded from Audible.com. Narrated by Michael Prichard.

Senator Dodd of Connecticut, recently found these letters written to his mother while his father, Thomas J. Dodd was a prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials. The Dodd siblings decided to publish these letters. The journal itself is rather disappointing reading because, most of what we learn is the ongoing petty politics that...more
Karen
It is a pity that Thomas Dood did not keep a diary. But maybe its best if he would have written it the same way he wrote letters. His letters to his wife Grace are tedious and repetitive. Yes, he was lonely and depressed to be stuck in post WWII Germany when it was at its worst, dealing with awful things, but it I had to read one more time how much he was homesick and missed her I would have burned the book. Finshed up just in time. Senator Dodd was given almost no information about this time fr...more
Phebe
This book was a subject sandwich: politics, war, politics. Toss in frustration and loneliness, and you have a summation of the book. The epistolary narrative is sprinkled with a few gems - which was my purpose for reading.

from October 7, 1945
"I pulled my hat brim down, turned my top coat collar up and discovered that I got a better reception. No cold stares but instead smiles and greetings. On the main street, particularly in the company of U.S. officers, I get ice water treatment. Some apparen...more
Brigitte
This was a great book about the Nuremberg trials that took place in Germany at the end of World War II. Senator Christopher Dodd's father was the assistant trial attorney to Justice Robert Jackson and these are his letters written to his wife during his time in London, then Paris, and finally Germany. They are truly wonderful letters, not only because he tells so much about his time involved in the trial but because of the love he shows for his wife and children. He really makes you feel as if y...more
Dan
Oct 13, 2007 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: democrats
Who is going to be the next president? Well my vote is for Cris Dodd. I always liked his position on the Iraq war and this book gives some background, a history of his father's service at the nuremberg trials through never before published correspondance to his wife. How do you spell integrity Mr Bush - never mind. The letters are very personal, some better written than others, but all establish a thread of consistant thinking. It was brave of the Senator and his siblings to publish them. They a...more
Kristi
Fascinating subject but I thought there would be more about the actual trial. Most of the letters were too repeptitive. I find it ironic that there was a statement about how people got bored with the trial (when they kept reading documents aloud) and how it shook things up when he displayed the lampshades and the skull. That's how I felt about the letters. I realize there were things from the trial he could not share but I expected some significant revelations on background info, not questions a...more
Lotte
Dodd's behind-the-scenes views at the earliest Nuremberg trial are interesting, but especially when he shares a viewpoint never meant for public consumption. I know little about the trials and so found the book almost all new information. His description of Lidice (unknown to me) was startling and sad.

Also interesting to me were Dodd's comments to his wife on caring for the children, paying bills, running the household, and his future political interests.
Rae Hittinger
Dec 05, 2008 Rae Hittinger rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, folks interested in law
I am listening to this on CD . It is like reading someone's diary - and getting the inside scoop on the Nazi regime all at once. It is a very nice book to read at the same time as the Devil's Doctor. It adds humanity and a compelling personal narrative. The beginning intro is a little dry- but still powerful.

I ended up returning this to the library before completion. I plan to get it out when I have more time to listen. I highly recommend it to others.
Sue
This wasn't the best book on the trial I've read, but it did give some insight into the prosecution side of things and how one lawyer (at least) felt about the US prosecutors he worked with, as well as how the army and the prosecutors from Britain, France, and the Soviet Union handled things. A bit too much of Dodd's homesickness and yearning for his wife for my taste, but his isolation helped him have to describe events for his wife back in Connecticut.
AmblingBooks
Senator Christopher J. Dodd (Connecticut) presents letters his father wrote home while serving as a prosecutor at Nuremberg.

Listen to Letters from Nuremberg on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Dawn Hadley
At times daunting and tedious. But I was touched by this mans love for his wife, the longing of her companionship and his want to seek her opinion before he made decisions. It was another take on a dark time in our history, I am glad there were men who were dedicated to fairness and justice.
Nicole Marble
The letters are fascinating - something younger readers need to know about WWII and the immediate days after the war in Europe. The letters should be paired with re-reading Vonneguts 'Slaughterhouse Five'. But Chris Dodd should have cut a lot of extraneous stuff - needs lots of editing.
Meri
Wow. I got incredibly tired of hearing "Grace, my dearest one". Not to mention I find what happened during the Nuremburg Trials far more intriguing than what Dodd had for dinner. Unfortunately, Christopher thought we would benefit from this information.
Kristen
I really enjoyed this book. The author (a current US Senator) goes off on his foreign policy once and a while, but on the whole, it is a great book about the tragedy of some terrible men, and some weak men who are controlled by Hitler.
Doug
This was much better written than I expected from Dodd. It's the story of his Father who was one of the main prosecutors at the Nuremberg trials after WWII. Interesting story and insights into some of the Nazis on trial.
melita
i liked thomas dodd's insider take on working at the nuremburg trials, but what i loved more was how his letters outlined his absolute love and devotion to his wife and children at home.
Stacey Blackburn Ousley
LOVED IT! In my mind's eye, i can envision when Senator Dodd was describing the postwar Nuremburg and walking through the leveled city, what it looked like. Beautiful book.
Sharon
Apr 26, 2008 Sharon is currently reading it
Shelves: non-fiction
Justice not revenge. The moral authority nations earn when they are true to their laws. These are the themes Senator Dodd emphasizes when he talks about this book.
Amy
A different way to convey this important piece of history, the story of the trial is told through letters sent from attorney, Tom Dodd to his beloved wife, Grace.
Jim Swike
This is not a cover to cover read, but I learned much more about the Nuremberg trials from this book. If you are doing research on this era i recommend it.
Fenixbird SandS
Oct 07, 2007 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: politically interested
This book was written by Presidential Candidate Chris Dodd and is a collection of his Father's letters to his Mother. Has anyone read this?
Lindsey
Very interesting to read the opinion's of the players at Nurmberg from one who was there.
Debra
I'd have preferred more about the trials and less about Dodd.
London Litchfield
Excellent history lesson. Wonderful love story
Scott Weeks
Scott Weeks marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Christopher John "Chris" Dodd is an American lawyer and Democratic politician currently serving as the senior U.S. Senator from Connecticut.

Dodd is a Connecticut native and a graduate of Georgetown Preparatory School in Bethesda, Maryland, and Providence College. His father, Thomas J. Dodd, was one of Connecticut's United States Senators from 1959-1971. Chris Dodd served in the Peace Corps for two...more
More about Christopher J. Dodd...
Kids and Terrorism: Supporting Our Kids in Times of Crisis, Hearing by the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, U.S. Senate U.s.-colombia Policy: What's Next?: Hearing Before The Committee On Foreign Relations, U.s. Senate The Senate Special Report on Y2K Voices from the Peace Corps: Fifty Years of Kentucky Volunteers