Start by marking “The Diet Cure” as Want to Read:

The Diet Cure

For the more than eighty million Americans who diet regularly--and without success--this amazing new program, based on ten years of proven clinical results, offers a revolutionary approach to nutrition that can safely curb your cravings and make you feel better in less than twenty-four hours. The Diet Cure begins with an 8-Step Quick Symptom Questionnaire that helps reader ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Penguin Books (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Diet Cure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diet Cure

Kikicali
Aug 09, 2010 Kikicali rated it it was amazing
This book saved me.

After months of a strict low/no fat vegan lifestyle topped off with 10 days of the Master Cleans my body was MESSED UP. I came off the cleanse with out of control cravings and immediately gained 15lbs OVER the weight I started the cleanse at, not to mention that I was a weepy, grouchy b!!ch. I could not stop eating handfuls of nuts, pieces of chocolate, cheesecake etc.. - especially at night - to save my life. I heard Julia speak on a podcast and checked her book out from the
Jodi
Mar 07, 2012 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-books
This book is very solid. It explains that low calorie diets just don't work, and that when we eat foods we are allergic to or that feed a Candida problem we create food cravings.

Low calorie diets can leave you adrenally exhausted and even fatter than when you started too.

The author recommends not starving yourself, or missing meals or trying to attain a weight that for you is unrealistic. Coconut oil is recommended, along with lots of real and unprocessed foods including at least 3 tablespoons o
Amy
Nov 25, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-fitness, food
This book contains some good ideas about amino acid supplementation and diet change to help balance body chemistry, but the author tends to be dismissive of any other type of help to alleviate the ailments she discusses, with the exception of her admitting that thyroid problems are generally in need of medical management.

I had a problem with some of her sweeping generalizations: according to her, we had "no cancer, no heart disease" until the advent of processed food-- this is simply not true; i
Jennifer Jaynes
Dec 20, 2011 Jennifer Jaynes rated it it was amazing
This book literally changed my life. Although I don't consider myself to be a chronic dieter, I HAVE suffered from horrible depression throughout my adult life.

This book helped me easily create a regimen of amino acids that are helping to rebuild my serotonin and endorphin levels. The crazy thing is that I began to feel better almost instantly.

I'm actually online buying copies for my mom and friends for Christmas.

I HIGHLY recommend for anyone suffering from depression.

Rosanne
Mar 01, 2013 Rosanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It dawned on me that this is the book I have been reading and rereading for months now, and I'd never actually added it to my Goodreads shelf.

If you struggle with your weight, this is worth looking at. In my opinion, overeating has both and emotional and a physical aspect to it. This will help cure the physical imbalances. Even after losing a great deal of weight and keeping it off for years, this helped me to fine tune my eating and I feel better than ever.
Maria Rickert
Apr 07, 2014 Maria Rickert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now, you might think it strange that I’m writing a book review for “The Diet Cure” by Julia Ross. While I am a health coach, I don’t specialize in weight loss. Instead, I specialize in helping people recover from symptoms of chronic neurological and/or autoimmune issues like autism, ADHD, allergies, asthma, SPD, lupus, fibromyalgia, Lyme and more.

But I don’t like throwing the baby out with the bath water, so I read the book to see what’s in it for my clients. There’s a lot!

In the book, Ms. Ross
Justin
Jul 31, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it
Surprisingly fantastic, except for being too long, and repetitive. The core message here, of certain deficiencies, and the need to supplement with amino acids (and eat protein at every meal), is sound. Also the descriptive accuracy of what lots of people see as "diets" is probably correct: i.e. they starve themselves, which adds weight. Also, not all calories are created equally, which seems obvious. I'm increasingly of the opinion that food augments one's mental state a great deal, and I'll rea ...more
Andrea
Apr 22, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, health
I liked this. Some actually new-to-me information, mostly around supplements and amino acids. Most of the food recommendations were pretty similar to paleo / primal recommendations, which I liked. Overall, the main supplement protocol seems designed to help you into that method of eating without going through the crazy sugar / carb withdrawal, but there's also additional advice for people who deal with other metabolic conditions like adrenal fatigue, thyroid issues, and hormonal imbalances.
Lara
Oct 14, 2012 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-in-2012
I found this an interesting book. While some of the science, or the author's conclusions raised some questions for me, much does fit with more and more of the science that I have seen. Also, this is the first time that I saw wheat and other gluten-containing grains identified as types of grass. So, several points answered many questions for me for the first time. Next, I plan to see if the amino supplementation combined with dietary change will make a difference for me.
Aug 31, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
I think this book is excellent; I do wish it had and needs a section on negative reactions to the amino acids. I took the recommended starting milligrams for L tyrosine and definitely had very bad reactions including rapid scary heartbeat, numbness and tingling in my left arm and leg, and felt incredibly spaced out for hours. It was terrible. So having a section on possible side effects would be good for these main supplements. I had the same reaction from 5HTP a year and a half ago when I first ...more
Desinka
Jun 22, 2013 Desinka rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-a-copy
A very useful read - a thorough a reference book on curing all kinds of nutritional and emotional imbalances through food. I definitely feel enlightened on more than one point.

I'd have appreciated a more guidebook-like layout and formatting, more charts and pictures and less text. It's a bit hard to navigate without any signposts.
Kaety
Sep 06, 2013 Kaety rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This and "The Mood Cure" are two of my favorite, go-to books when helping other people deal with health and emotional issues, or when I find myself in need of some guidance in the "food-as-medicine" department. Easy to read, easy to use.
Gwendoline Van
Jan 06, 2014 Gwendoline Van rated it liked it
A reminder that you are what you eat, Julia Ross takes a refreshing look at vitality and health through the lens of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and whole foods. Instead of lambasting those of us who succumb to the temptation of potato chips and ice cream as devoid of will power, she asks us to explore why we are drawn to those foods and what our bodies might be trying to tell us. In all likelihood, your body craves fat, the good kind, and Ross explores lifelong, sustainable solutions to wel ...more
Karlie
Apr 03, 2014 Karlie rated it it was ok
I just finished this. Apparently it's very similar to her other book Mood Cure, but with a little more focus on eating. It's very interesting to read how nutrition and specifically amino acid intake could affect our brain chemistry and as a result our moods. I see a lot of good reviews of Julia Ross' work and studies. As a book, this was rather repetitive, and horrible in the Kindle edition. It warrants some more research as I found the subject fascinating. She's obviously a low carb, high fat p ...more
Emily
Mar 14, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
A great 'diet' book that has some fascinating information. As with all diet books, you take what you need and leave what you don't. It's all about finding what's right for YOUR body, and while lots of people have good ideas and you can take some advice, not ALL of one person's ideas and advice will work for you. I liked a lot of the ideas and advice in this book and much of it works for me. It's always nice to feel that little affirmation that what I'm doing is good for me, my body, my mind, and ...more
Storystitcher
The information in this book is good for the most part, and the research seems to be there. However, I think it is lacking in the area of side effects as other reviews have mentioned and I am not completely convinced that aminos can work on their own in a sort of topping off the pot sort of way, but I have been trying it out with nothing stellar to report. It sounds great in theory, and I have no doubt that she has seen results, but I am wondering if this is all just a self regimented placebo ef ...more
Stacey Franklin
Sep 12, 2012 Stacey Franklin rated it really liked it
An older book (1999) so outdated in some advice (eg. no distilled vinegar or oats for celiacs) but a worthwhile read nonetheless. Main premise is that you can acheive your " natural" weight by dropping the habit of dieting and instead balancing your hormones & correcting any amino acid deficiencies - some pretty cool case studies & what looks like well documented science. Especially helpful for anorexics, bullimics, yo-yo dieters, vegetarians or vegans, pre- or menopausal women - hey, th ...more
Jennifer Godina
Sep 11, 2014 Jennifer Godina rated it really liked it
I think Julia Ross has some really interesting concepts about amino acids. I started taking a few of the recommended aminos and have noticed a slight difference in my cravings and my energy level. It hasn't been life changing so far but I think it makes a difference. Julia Ross made me understand that my weight gain & diet are necessarily not a lack of will power but more to do with some chemical imbalances in my body, contributed by my diet.
Beth
I didn't follow this book to a tee, although I tried -- some of the supplements were quite difficult to find, and when I ordered them online, they'd show up in a giant pill that I just could not swallow. This is where she suggested for L-Tyrosine to "just eat the powder, it's delicious." Um, the powder was totally flavorless, hard to swallow by itself, and considering you are supposed to have it on an empty stomach, that didn't work so much for me.

That said, some of the advice in here on fungal
Anastacia
Jan 06, 2009 Anastacia rated it did not like it
I read this and, along with her other book, The Mood Cure, she basically puts you on a regimen of herbal supplements. I spent about $200 on various herbs (GABA, St. John's and some others I can't remember now) that I had to remember to take at various times of the day (and which to take when). It didn't work for me, I was out the cost of the books, all the money I spent for the pills and my urine smelled like it was a biohazard. TMI. And I sort of lost my pride (see: $200).

If you really, earnes
Tammy Crompton
May 06, 2014 Tammy Crompton rated it it was amazing
Gift from a client. Definitely a good read for anyone especially a trainer or nutritionist. It talks about the correlation between amino acids and your body functioning or not functioning at optimal levels.
Pinki Pal
Good for anyone who has ever been on a diet...Slightly cranky but very interesting.Good info but outdated
Shelves: non-fiction
Some good info.
Gala Balaguer
Sep 07, 2014 Gala Balaguer rated it really liked it
Skip the explanations that fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are good for you. This book assumes that the reader already knows health foods from junk foods. With the help of self-assessments, this book addresses deeper concerns: hormonal imbalances, neurotransmitter imbalances, and sugar imbalances. It guides the reader through the domain of supplements to create a personalized wellness plan. Upon reviewing it with a dietitian, I have a sustainable plan that supports optimum health. Interesti ...more
Victoria Smith
May 24, 2013 Victoria Smith rated it really liked it
This book was a godsend for me. I've been suffering severe stomach upset for several months and loved how she covers so many different potential sources of food intolerance, including gluten. It helped me to set up the elimination diet to figure out the culprits, identified which supplements I should be taking to start healing, and pointed me those areas I needed to learn more about. While I didn't pick up this book in an attempt to lose weight, her in-depth discussions about healthy weight loss ...more
Nothingruler
Jan 08, 2008 Nothingruler rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People committed to losing weight in a healthy way.
This book is not a formulaic approach to diet, as so many other diet books are. It really addresses the fact that the causes of obesity are multifactorial, and in order to lose weight and keep it off, one must heal oneself. In a step by step manner, and with plenty of examples, the author explains how to do that. One aspect of eating and diet is excepted, however, and that's the psychology of dieting in the U.S. This is a little odd, considering the author is a psychologist, but whatever.
Jenn Nolen
Feb 05, 2015 Jenn Nolen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. I wouldn't say that it's the only health/diet book you should read, but there are some things in here that I haven't read anywhere else and it could definitely be the missing piece of the health puzzle that some are looking for. If you feel like you've tried "everything" pick up this book and give it a go.

I don't buy many books, but this is a good one to have on hand so that you can refer back to it from time to time.
Holly
Apr 06, 2010 Holly rated it liked it
This book is jam packed with tons of information. I had to read it several times to absorb enough. It basically talks about how to adjust your body with amino acids and fixing your diet for optimal health. There are some dietary points that I do not agree with, but this is a great reference book that I keep handy. I recommend it for anyone who feels that they could be healthier or who has a nagging problem that could possibly be fixed through diet.
Julia
Oct 11, 2008 Julia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone suffering from food addiction, annorexia, bulemia, and depression
Recommended to Julia by: Weston A. Price Foundation
This book explains the relationship between brain chemistry and food cravings. It's a good reference book for using amino acids to treat mood disorders like depression and anxiety. Certain amino acids also help to block food cravings. Since I read this book, I've been using 5-htp which is highly recommended by the author, to improve mood. The great thing about amino acids are that they begin working instantly, within minutes.
Holly V
Jan 12, 2012 Holly V rated it liked it
This book is mainly designed to help people who have yo-yo dieted all their lives. There is a lot good information in it, but also conflicting information with other "experts". I liked the supplement charts that matched with the conditions of the reader. I'm pretty lazy, so some of the eating plans are more involved than what I want to attempt. Easy to read and understand.
Cara
Very informative book, lots of good information, but I lost interest about 2/3 of the way through and never finished it. Based on its recommendations and my mom's experience, I did try glutamine, though, with fantastic results. Suddenly I have the discipline to work again, even in the afternoon! That is incredible.
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • From Fatigued to Fantastic!
  • Sugar Blues
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To:  Free Yourself from Food Cravings:  Achieve Your Ideal Weight;  Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health;  Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Discover Your Optimal Health: The Guide to Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Vitality, Your Life
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan