3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  35 reviews
For the more than eighty million Americans who diet regularly--and without success--this amazing new program, based on ten years of proven clinical results, offers a revolutionary approach to nutrition that can safely curb your cravings and make you feel better in less than twenty-four hours. The Diet Cure begins with an 8-Step Quick Symptom Questionnaire that helps reader...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Penguin Books (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Diet Cure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diet Cure

Kikicali
This book saved me.

After months of a strict low/no fat vegan lifestyle topped off with 10 days of the Master Cleans my body was MESSED UP. I came off the cleanse with out of control cravings and immediately gained 15lbs OVER the weight I started the cleanse at, not to mention that I was a weepy, grouchy b!!ch. I could not stop eating handfuls of nuts, pieces of chocolate, cheesecake etc.. - especially at night - to save my life. I heard Julia speak on a podcast and checked her book out from the...more
Jodi
This book is very solid. It explains that low calorie diets just don't work, and that when we eat foods we are allergic to or that feed a Candida problem we create food cravings.

Low calorie diets can leave you adrenally exhausted and even fatter than when you started too.

The author recommends not starving yourself, or missing meals or trying to attain a weight that for you is unrealistic. Coconut oil is recommended, along with lots of real and unprocessed foods including at least 3 tablespoons o...more
Jennifer Jaynes
This book literally changed my life. Although I don't consider myself to be a chronic dieter, I HAVE suffered from horrible depression throughout my adult life.

This book helped me easily create a regimen of amino acids that are helping to rebuild my serotonin and endorphin levels. The crazy thing is that I began to feel better almost instantly.

I'm actually online buying copies for my mom and friends for Christmas.

I HIGHLY recommend for anyone suffering from depression.

Justin
Surprisingly fantastic, except for being too long, and repetitive. The core message here, of certain deficiencies, and the need to supplement with amino acids (and eat protein at every meal), is sound. Also the descriptive accuracy of what lots of people see as "diets" is probably correct: i.e. they starve themselves, which adds weight. Also, not all calories are created equally, which seems obvious. I'm increasingly of the opinion that food augments one's mental state a great deal, and I'll rea...more
Andrea
I liked this. Some actually new-to-me information, mostly around supplements and amino acids. Most of the food recommendations were pretty similar to paleo / primal recommendations, which I liked. Overall, the main supplement protocol seems designed to help you into that method of eating without going through the crazy sugar / carb withdrawal, but there's also additional advice for people who deal with other metabolic conditions like adrenal fatigue, thyroid issues, and hormonal imbalances.
Desinka
A very useful read - a thorough a reference book on curing all kinds of nutritional and emotional imbalances through food. I definitely feel enlightened on more than one point.

I'd have appreciated a more guidebook-like layout and formatting, more charts and pictures and less text. It's a bit hard to navigate without any signposts.
Gwendoline Van
A reminder that you are what you eat, Julia Ross takes a refreshing look at vitality and health through the lens of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and whole foods. Instead of lambasting those of us who succumb to the temptation of potato chips and ice cream as devoid of will power, she asks us to explore why we are drawn to those foods and what our bodies might be trying to tell us. In all likelihood, your body craves fat, the good kind, and Ross explores lifelong, sustainable solutions to wel...more
Karlie
I just finished this. Apparently it's very similar to her other book Mood Cure, but with a little more focus on eating. It's very interesting to read how nutrition and specifically amino acid intake could affect our brain chemistry and as a result our moods. I see a lot of good reviews of Julia Ross' work and studies. As a book, this was rather repetitive, and horrible in the Kindle edition. It warrants some more research as I found the subject fascinating. She's obviously a low carb, high fat p...more
Emily
A great 'diet' book that has some fascinating information. As with all diet books, you take what you need and leave what you don't. It's all about finding what's right for YOUR body, and while lots of people have good ideas and you can take some advice, not ALL of one person's ideas and advice will work for you. I liked a lot of the ideas and advice in this book and much of it works for me. It's always nice to feel that little affirmation that what I'm doing is good for me, my body, my mind, and...more
Stacey Franklin
An older book (1999) so outdated in some advice (eg. no distilled vinegar or oats for celiacs) but a worthwhile read nonetheless. Main premise is that you can acheive your " natural" weight by dropping the habit of dieting and instead balancing your hormones & correcting any amino acid deficiencies - some pretty cool case studies & what looks like well documented science. Especially helpful for anorexics, bullimics, yo-yo dieters, vegetarians or vegans, pre- or menopausal women - hey, th...more
Jennifer Godina
I think Julia Ross has some really interesting concepts about amino acids. I started taking a few of the recommended aminos and have noticed a slight difference in my cravings and my energy level. It hasn't been life changing so far but I think it makes a difference. Julia Ross made me understand that my weight gain & diet are necessarily not a lack of will power but more to do with some chemical imbalances in my body, contributed by my diet.
Anastacia
I read this and, along with her other book, The Mood Cure, she basically puts you on a regimen of herbal supplements. I spent about $200 on various herbs (GABA, St. John's and some others I can't remember now) that I had to remember to take at various times of the day (and which to take when). It didn't work for me, I was out the cost of the books, all the money I spent for the pills and my urine smelled like it was a biohazard. TMI. And I sort of lost my pride (see: $200).

If you really, earnes...more
Tammy Crompton
Gift from a client. Definitely a good read for anyone especially a trainer or nutritionist. It talks about the correlation between amino acids and your body functioning or not functioning at optimal levels.
Gala Balaguer
Skip the explanations that fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are good for you. This book assumes that the reader already knows health foods from junk foods. With the help of self-assessments, this book addresses deeper concerns: hormonal imbalances, neurotransmitter imbalances, and sugar imbalances. It guides the reader through the domain of supplements to create a personalized wellness plan. Upon reviewing it with a dietitian, I have a sustainable plan that supports optimum health. Interesti...more
Victoria
This book was a godsend for me. I've been suffering severe stomach upset for several months and loved how she covers so many different potential sources of food intolerance, including gluten. It helped me to set up the elimination diet to figure out the culprits, identified which supplements I should be taking to start healing, and pointed me those areas I needed to learn more about. While I didn't pick up this book in an attempt to lose weight, her in-depth discussions about healthy weight loss...more
Nothingruler
Jan 08, 2008 Nothingruler rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People committed to losing weight in a healthy way.
This book is not a formulaic approach to diet, as so many other diet books are. It really addresses the fact that the causes of obesity are multifactorial, and in order to lose weight and keep it off, one must heal oneself. In a step by step manner, and with plenty of examples, the author explains how to do that. One aspect of eating and diet is excepted, however, and that's the psychology of dieting in the U.S. This is a little odd, considering the author is a psychologist, but whatever.
Holly
This book is jam packed with tons of information. I had to read it several times to absorb enough. It basically talks about how to adjust your body with amino acids and fixing your diet for optimal health. There are some dietary points that I do not agree with, but this is a great reference book that I keep handy. I recommend it for anyone who feels that they could be healthier or who has a nagging problem that could possibly be fixed through diet.
Julia
Oct 11, 2008 Julia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone suffering from food addiction, annorexia, bulemia, and depression
Recommended to Julia by: Weston A. Price Foundation
This book explains the relationship between brain chemistry and food cravings. It's a good reference book for using amino acids to treat mood disorders like depression and anxiety. Certain amino acids also help to block food cravings. Since I read this book, I've been using 5-htp which is highly recommended by the author, to improve mood. The great thing about amino acids are that they begin working instantly, within minutes.
Holly V
This book is mainly designed to help people who have yo-yo dieted all their lives. There is a lot good information in it, but also conflicting information with other "experts". I liked the supplement charts that matched with the conditions of the reader. I'm pretty lazy, so some of the eating plans are more involved than what I want to attempt. Easy to read and understand.
Tracy Kendall
Really helpful book, I've lost a lot of weight just by adding the amino acids she recommends. This is really a thorough coverage of the whole complexity of weight/mood/nutrition/addiction/depression, but easy to read (you only read the sections that pertain to your own issues). I highly recommend it.
Stacie
An interesting look at how different foods affect the body and the brain. I'm not necessarily going to start taking massive amounts of supplements to counteract these imbalances but the knowledge is good and I have a better idea of some foods I should be eating and what not.
Hillary
Lots of good info for changing your lifestyle. I didn't like the emphasis on all of the amino acids, although it probably would help to jump start your new diet. But I really liked all the helpful hints in the back especially in regards to gluten intolerance.
Monica
Wonderful book that looks at nutritients and food as the building blocks for our biochemisrty, which they are. Also very hands on tho help you make changes to move away from cravings, candida and many other common digestive ailments.
Schenley
Informative book about finding balance through natural supplements. I'm not sure if I subscribe to everything the author writes, but I found it educational and am trying some new supplements myself.
Mwalkes
This author will be speaking at the Weston A. Price Convention in November 2012. I am looking forward to meeting her and hearing more about her applied wisdom.
Mary
The end of food-craving? I doubt it but very interesting. Based on 10 years of clinical results. My crunchy California daughter recommended it and it does make sense.
Anna
Amino acid therapy to feel better/lose weight/be healthier...8 different possible "imbalances" of the body are identified and addressed.
Jenny Womack
Really interesting and I look forward to implementing some of her recommendations...
Gail
Just started reading it at the recommendation of my new nutritionist ....
Monica Buescher
Very interesting. Definitely would recommend it. :)
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Sugar Blues
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • From Fatigued to Fantastic!
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Our Stolen Future: Are We Threatening Our Fertility, Intelligence and Survival? A Scientific Detective Story
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • Your Personal Paleo Code: The 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, and Stay Fit and Healthy for Life
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
  • The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A Complete, Step-By-Step, Gene Reprogramming Action Plan
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
More about Julia Ross...
The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today The Mood Cure: Take Charge of Your Emotions in 24 Hours Using Food and Supplements