Start by marking “Go Away, Big Green Monster!” as Want to Read:
Go Away, Big Green Monster!

Go Away, Big Green Monster!

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  14,369 Ratings  ·  433 Reviews
Summary:
Caldecott Award-winning author-artist Ed Emberley has created an ingenious way for children to chase away their nighttime fears. Kids can turn the pages of this die-cut book and watch the Big Green Monster grow. Then, when they're ready to show him who's in charge, they'll turn the remaining pages and watch him disappear! This lavish reissue features dramatic die-c
Published April 1st 1993 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Go Away, Big Green Monster!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Away, Big Green Monster!

Mariah
Oct 20, 2016 Mariah rated it really liked it
Love the idea of this book and the pattern it follows :)
Anna
Jun 21, 2017 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool-lit
Wonderfully written with interactive illustrations for 1-2 year olds; older children may find it too childish.
Evelyn Saenz
Go Away, Big Green Monster! by Ed Emberley
is a book of cut out pages that page by page reveal a monster and then make it disappear. The simple cuts and the bold colors appeal to both young children and older artists and because of this, is a delight to read to groups of children or individually.

I have used Go Away, Big Green Monster! for story hour both in the US and in Costa Rica with children as young as 3 and as old as 8th grade with marvelous responses. There are always requests to Read it
Sita_belen
Nov 01, 2016 Sita_belen rated it it was amazing
Este es el libro que les he contado a mi alumnos por el día de Halloween, recomendado por una compañera de inglés que tuve en otro cole hace varios años.
He de decir que ha sido un éxito total, no por provocar miedo, todo lo contrario, ha resultado ser muy divertido.

Con el puedes trabajar las partes de la cara y los colores en inglés. Y, por supuesto, el miedo. Además, invita a los alumnos a participar en la lectura, preguntándoles en cada página si ya están asustados o animándoles a que te ayud
Noelle Jensen, Age 5
Jan 24, 2016 Noelle Jensen, Age 5 rated it it was amazing
Read it again! That was a very short book, so we can read it again. Read it again.
Taneika Miliam
Teach- to -Self Connection and Text- to -Teaching

I enjoyed reading this book. This book reminds me of my children being afraid to go , or even wake up from having a bad dream . I could also read this book in my classroom because there are several students that has confirmed that they are afraid of monsters. I would come up with strategies to help the students conquer their fear of monsters. I would use construction paper cut into different shapes for the children to create their own monster. I w
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Mar 28, 2017 Kristen Dutkiewicz rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fun, interactive idea for a children's book so our little ones can chase away the big scary monsters!
Reem
Feb 01, 2016 Reem rated it it was amazing
Go away big green monster is a children picture book that delivers a good massage for little kids to chase away their nighttime fears. The book is die-cut book where the kids could turn the pages to watch how the big green monster grows. For example, the author starts with eyes on the first page then the eyes plus a long blue nose; and so on, until the face of the monster is fully complete. After that, the remaining pages of the story is about the scary features of the monster starting to disapp ...more
Kerry
Jun 24, 2011 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers and parents
If I had to compile a list of great read aloud books, 'Go Away, Big Green Monster!' would easily make the cut. Fun, interactive and engaging, this book is a must read with any young child. As a kindergarten teacher, it was always a go-to and the preschool students I read to frequently request this read every time I see them. Quick tip: don't be afraid to let the kids scream and shout, it only makes the book more fun!!
June
Jan 12, 2008 June rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and young children
One of my favorite books for story time. I use it every year for my Monster program. 1/08

Used this for my Halloween Story Time. I need to see if we can purchase another copy the one I got was a bit beat up. 10/31/12

Requested and read this year in Story Time.
Katy
Oct 28, 2014 Katy rated it it was amazing
This one is a great retelling exercise, especially if it's adapted into a flannelboard. The 4 year olds basically aced the reverse order without much prompting. The younger ones loved shouting "go away!"

Callie Rose Tyler
Jul 21, 2012 Callie Rose Tyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book would be great for a group storytime or bedtime story. This book teaches children colors as well as sequence. Very simple but young children will love this.
Danny Siordia
Jul 01, 2014 Danny Siordia rated it it was amazing
The book is to help not fear anything like monsters and it was crazy .I read this book with a cat and hes a lion now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 30, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Virtue: courage
Tina
Nov 08, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it
My 4 year old daughter has had me read this to her about a ga-zillion times. She absolutely loves it. And I've gotta say.... it's pretty cute ;)
Andd Becker
Aug 21, 2012 Andd Becker rated it it was amazing
Children love to read this interactive book.
Gavin
Jul 23, 2015 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Simple, but fun, picture book where each page makes something disappear and turn into something else.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Just perfection as an interactive story time read aloud that adhere's to Molly Bang's concepts of picturebook art perfectly.
Ameryn
Oct 26, 2016 Ameryn rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ameryn by: Pine River Library
Shelves: kids
Lucas loved this (3 years).
Jeridel Banks
Oct 13, 2013 Jeridel Banks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Here's a book reminiscent of Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar!
Izzy
Jul 18, 2012 Izzy rated it it was amazing
BEEN MY FAVORITE BOOK SINCE AGE 1
Julie Hetu
Title: Go Away, Big Green Monster!
Genre: Toy/Movable Book
Theme(s): Monsters, fear, bedtime
Opening line/sentence:
Big Green Monster has two big yellow eyes,
Brief Book Summary:
This book allows children to put together a scary monster feature by feature and then break it apart. The story tells the monster to go away until the reader tells him to come back.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Kirkus (Kirkus Reviews, 1993)
By turning these stiff, die-cut pages, even very young children can assemble
Julie
Die-cut pages allow the "big green monster" to build and build, from just a pair of big yellow eyes to a full-fledged big green scary face - which doesn't scare the reader, who removes the features one by one (page by page) until the monster disappears and is told "Don't come back! Until I say so." Fun for kids and very tactile. A School Library Journal Top 100 picture book.
Ashley Jacobson
May 09, 2017 Ashley Jacobson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kai-read, eve-read
A really fun read aloud! Interactive. Teaches many concepts, like colors and body parts, as well as piece by piece composition- needed for drawing and later writing. It also gives kids confidence and tools for dealing with monsters at bedtime! Win win!
Samantha
May 25, 2017 betsy rated it it was amazing
An Abigail favorite
Angie
Jul 23, 2017 Angie rated it really liked it
Storytimes about colors, Halloween, monsters, conquering our fears.
Vicki
Oct 19, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing
A fun book with interesting illustrations and cut out that make changes on each page.

There is a great app for this book. It can be read by the author, read with a friend, or used as a sing along. I've used this app for comparison to the book many times. The app is true to the book and actually very fun.
Drew Graham
May 27, 2017 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Big green monsters can be scary, but you just have to let them know who's boss.

This book was relegated to the hallway for a couple weeks, considered by The Boy (4) to be too scary (I think it's those wide, buggy eyes -- I get it), but after a couple times through during the daylight hours he warmed up to it. I remember Ed Emberley from when I was really young and this has some of the cleverness and charm I recall (though nothing compared to his thumbprint art books).
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Bark, George
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Clip-Clop
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Lemons Are Not Red (Ala Notable Book(Awards)) (Neal Porter Books)
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Chickens to the Rescue (Barnyard Rescue)
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
American artist and illustrator, best known for children's picture books.
More about Ed Emberley...