Start by marking “Blackout” as Want to Read:
Blackout
Preview

Blackout

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  10 reviews
On July 13, 1977, there was a blackout in New York City. With the dark came excitement, adventure, and fright in subway tunnels, office towers, busy intersections, high-rise stairwells, hotel lobbies, elevators, and hospitals. There was revelry in bars and restaurants, music and dancing in the streets. On block after block, men and women proved themselves heroes by helping ...more
Hardcover
Published December 12th 2003 by North Point Press

To ask other readers questions about Blackout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackout

Michael Lewyn
This book is a collection of short bursts of information, designed to give readers a feel what it must have been like to live through the bad old days of New York: in particular, the looting-ridden 1977 New York City blackout and its aftermath.

I think it succeeds in its basic mission; however, it could use quite a bit of cutting down, since it contains quite a few selections of prose that are not really blackout-related and thus don't add anything to the discussion (for example: "Some shot heroi
Danny
I'm sympathetic to Goodman's attempts to put us right in the thick of things, evoking all the confusion, complexities, and contradictions of the 1977 blackout. But the narrative's too scattered and it's really a bit of a cop-out to say that the city "is full of multitudes" and just leave it at that.
Dahlia
I loved this book. I felt like I was living the experience. The blackout is the main character in this book. If you study the social sciences and have flare for literature you will enjoy and have so many more questions of human behavior after.
Rain
Still on my fall-of-New-York kick. This is solely about the 1977 blackout, and does provide a good account of peoples reactions to the event, the looting, and the aftermath. But the authors forced poetic prose started to grate pretty quickly...
Evan
Aug 01, 2007 Evan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes NYC
Shelves: more_than_once
I don't really like NYC, but this was a fantastic, energetic read. Goodman's style here is what makes this history of the blackout in 70s NYC really shine. the city comes alive and all the voices he weaves together are so interesting.
Tracy
A concise retelling of a compelling time in NYC (Brooklyn in particular) modern history. It took me back and filled in a lot of my own memories of those unforgettable hours I spent wondering when the lights would go back on.
Robert Knowles
Goodman successfully brings nonfiction to life in this piece. The book conveys all of the history one would hope for, and the unique poetic craftsmanship is rather refreshing.
Raquel Casilla
I had to read it for my Narrative History class, taught by the author, but I really did enjoy it and the format in which it was written was refreshingly new and great.
Cathy
Ostensibly an account of the blackout of '77 in New York but there is no story line, no plot; just observations strung together without any continuity.
Ginger
The 1977 NYC blackout seems like an awesome subject to write about. A 228 page prose poem is probably not the best way to do it, though.
Matt
Matt is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Arnie
Arnie marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Catherine Wu
Catherine Wu marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Joe Antognini
Joe Antognini marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Leighan
Leighan is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2013
Max Sirotin
Max Sirotin marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
China
China is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2013
Rock
Rock marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Stories of Scottsboro But Where is the Lamb?: Imagining the Story of Abraham and Isaac Letters to Kennedy