Start by marking “Makai Queen (Makai #1)” as Want to Read:
Makai Queen (Makai #1)

Makai Queen (Makai #1)

Off the coast of Lanai, far beyond the sailboats, there is a hidden world beneath the beryl-blue sea, the marvelous kingdom of Moku-ola, a place where man and beast live in harmony. Unknown and forbidden to those living above the surface, it has never been discovered....until now.

Tessa, a curious teenager with a taste for adventure roams the sandy beaches of Lanai. Feelin
Published January 7th 2013 by Deep River Books

To ask other readers questions about Makai Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Makai Queen

Makai Queen by Tara FairfieldBy Darkness Hid by Jill WilliamsonWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenTorrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Best Christian Young Adult Fantasy
1st out of 112 books — 77 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
Clean teen fiction (Christian)
126th out of 601 books — 677 voters

More lists with this book...

Kara
Sep 11, 2016 Kara rated it it was amazing
**re reading again in Sept. 2016 and just wow....I get this story, it's magical and holy and filled with characters that make sense to me, worth so much more than five stars to me and worth reading over and over again**
This book pulled me in from the first page and I just fell in love with it the more I read...there are no mermaids in this one and it's SUCH a refreshing perspective on ocean life. You will see the ocean creatures through Tessa's eyes and experience an amazing journey as she learn
Onisha Ellis
Apr 06, 2014 Onisha Ellis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie-author
I read Makai Queen as my "falling asleep" read. Some nights I rushed bedtime just so I could start reading.I enjoyed the characters both the good guys and the villains, not that all the villains were people! This is a good read for anyone with imagination and curiosity. The storyline is enhanced with the message of The Creator and finding one's true purpose and love.
Darlene
Dec 23, 2013 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I took a "deep dive" into the book, "Makai Queen" by Tara Fairfield, the very day I received it, and had a hard time going back into reality for air. It really did take my breath away! I had to do multiple double takes to see which world was real. It was so intense! Filled with so much mystery and love! The author did an AMAZING job creating the connection and feelings that the main character felt. I didn't feel like a cheerleader standing on the sidelines and watching. I felt like I was part ...more
Jillyn
Apr 21, 2013 Jillyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Christian YA
Recommended to Jillyn by: Diane
Shelves: blog, autographed
Tessa is a girl who doesn't really have a proper place on Earth anymore, in a life changed after her parents' death. Contemplating her life and what's happened in it while walking along the beaches of Lanai, she is kidnapped by a man she had intended to save from drowning. He drags her into a new world, Moku-ola, a place beneath the sea that serves to protect all of the ocean's creatures. But life under the sea is torn as brothers feud, and when Tessa is called upon to be the new queen, she must ...more
Gail Welborn
Jun 12, 2013 Gail Welborn rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
****Good choice for Y/A romantic fantasy fans...***

Dr. Tara Fairfield, Washington State psychologist, realizes her lifelong dream to write with the debut of her young adult fantasy—Makai Queen, the first of a planned trilogy. Years of working with troubled youth and their families prepared her to add subtle teenage nuances to the character of Tessa that enhance her character driven romantic teen fantasy.

Readers first meet Tessa walking along the ocean shore to calm down after her sister Rachae
Alyssa
Nov 01, 2012 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
I don't exactly fit the target audience for this book, but I could not put it down!! I loved. I was totally hooked throughout the entire book. It's full of adventure, captivating characters and unexpected turns. The author totally transports you to this fascinating underwater world that you'll never want to leave. Definitely one of my favorite reads.
NebraskaIcebergs
Aug 25, 2013 NebraskaIcebergs rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Makai Queen by Tara Fairfield is a Christian fantasy set in the undersea world. There were times as I read Makai Queen when Fairfield left me shaking my head, because either characters or situations didn’t work. There were also times when Fairfield pulled me so deeply into her imaginary kingdom of Moku-ola that I started wondering if she could become the next C.S. Lewis, whose Chronicles of Narnia found success both within and beyond the Christian market.

Fairfield has created an almost perfect b
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Imagine if a world really did exist under the sea, filled with people who had the special gifts of being able to care for and understand the life below the waves. Sound interesting? This is just the story you'll find in the novel Makai Queen by Tara Fairfield. This is the perfect novel for middle school readers who love a bit of fantasy in their novels.

The story involves Tessa Armstrong, a young teenage girl who finds her special place is being near the ocean. Almost as if she belongs there, e
Deepak Menon
Mar 25, 2013 Deepak Menon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
In ‘Makai Queen’, a dream vision experienced by the heroine of the story, Tessa, from a mystery ship on the high seas, is the prelude to a startling future, very difficult to envisage.
The story starts with a very ordinary scene of Tessa on a beach, noticing what looks like a body on the beach. The books Christian undercurrent of mercy and compassion shows itself immediately as Tessa rushes to help the stranger, finds him alive, and then finds herself in great danger, and before she can literal
Ashley
Jul 11, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it

I just happened to randomly stumble across this book, and I'm glad I did. I was intrigued by the cover and drawn in by the unique concept. This is a fun adventurous little fairy tale that's perfect for a quick beach read. I'd highly recommend it to fans of YA paranormal/fantasy who are getting a little tired and bored of the same old vampires, werewolves, angels, and fairies.

The best thing about this book is the completely unique and original world Tara Fairfield has created. Instead o
Asli Fratarcangeli
Apr 17, 2013 Asli Fratarcangeli rated it really liked it

What I loved about this book, is that you are, as a reader, immediately captivated and engaged in an adventurous and compelling story! What I truly found captivating about this story is that the attention to detail was so well done and informative, helping readers paint such a clear picture in their heads of everything!

Tara did a great job in uncovering the torments that have haunted Tessa for the readers. She gives readers an opportunity to grow with Tessa, watching her transform from a haunted
Phoebe
Jul 16, 2014 Phoebe rated it really liked it
I'm rating this book as 3.5 stars.
Makai Queen is a great book for young adults who possess a desire for adventure and fantasy. It's an easy read and gets straight to the point. Tara Farifield clearly has a very imaginative mind. Her story telling is vivid in descriptions and full of exciting activity.

Tessa Armstrong is taken from the sandy beach of Lanai against her will. She is dragged under water into an unknown world, very different from her own. She learns about the land of Moku-ola and how
Fiona
Feb 21, 2013 Fiona rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, I can not wait to read this book! I am a student of Mrs. Stark and Thank you sooooooooooo sooooo much for skyping us on Tuesday! I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to talk to us. I love the cover of your book! I love the color blue and the ocean so it's a given that I like your cover!
Natalie
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP!!!! I can't wait to read it! (Hint, hint, my dear teacher with a beautiful ARC just BEGGING to be read by one your favorite students *Cough* ME *cough*)

I would like to thank Ms. Fairfield for Skyping with my class on Tuesday and sharing some great insight to the writing and publishing process! (And for putting up with my obnoxiously specific questions!)
Darcee Kraus
Sep 18, 2013 Darcee Kraus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
A journey into a beautiful hidden world that just may give you a new look on the world you're in. A wonderful tale that will appeal to many people looking for a new read; I plan on passing it along to a few of my friends, who have been waiting for me to finish!

Darcee Kraus
Mckinleyville, CA
Ashley
Jan 05, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Makai Queen is a gripping story of love, destiny, adventure and rebirth. The book has dozens of dynamic characters and keeps the reader wanting more with unexpected turns in the story. I highly recommend it!
Lori Green
Feb 17, 2014 Lori Green rated it it was amazing
I loved this Y/A book. I quickly devoured it and handed it off to my favorite middle schooler, Isabella. She loved it too. I was transported into the story and didn't feel the slightest hiccup jumping into its fantasy. I am looking forward to reading more by this author.
Cara Sullivan
Feb 21, 2013 Cara Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Hi! Thank you so much for skyping with Mrs.Starks 8th grade class on Tuesday! I learned so much and I cant wait to read this book! I appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to talk to us!

Thanks again! Cara Sullivan
Mr.
Mar 23, 2013 Mr. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I found this book to be enthralling, exciting and entertaining.
Loved flow of the story-line, a great book.
Sierra *Soar on wings like eagles*
I really hate being one of the few negative reviews of a book. I hate leaving negative reviews at all, but I had some very major issues with this book.

Full disclosure: I am a Christian, I very much enjoy Christian fiction (when it's done well), and I read the entire book (beginning to end, I didn't just stop halfway through). Ok, with that out of the way, my review:

I really wanted to like this book, and I think had the execution been better, this had the potential to have been a really interesti
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
Mar 22, 2013 Sienna Logan (Lost to Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, from-author
For more of my reviews visit http://losttobooks.blogspot.com

Recently I have developed an interest for books that are set underwater so I was glad when the author asked if I would be interested in reviewing the book as well as running a spotlight. The book sounded interesting and exactly what I was looking for so obviously I jumped at the chance to read it.

This book took me only a few hours to read due to its short length, however despite the number of pages there is certainly a lot packed into
OpenBookSociety.com
Feb 01, 2013 OpenBookSociety.com rated it really liked it
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Valerie

There are some books where the summary partly describes the book, and this is one of those. Makai Queen is about Tessa, a seemingly ordinary girl. When she “rescues” the man, Moho, she’s brought to Moku-ola. There she meets new characters, quite possibly a romantic interest as well, and takes her life by storm. Makai Queen is a Christian read, although the Christian aspect of it is much less prominent than most Christian novels.

This is the first Christian bo
Christianlitreview
May 16, 2013 Christianlitreview rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Tara Fairfield does an excellent job at creating interesting characters and an even more interesting plot. If I could give this 3.5 stars, I would because it would be a better assessment of the book. The story kept drawing me in and I was never disinterested with what was going on. There were, however, some areas where the book could improve, such as the fast paced movement of the story, a little bit of strange dialogue, and sometimes a feeling that Christian elements ...more
Kathy Worrell  ツ
Jun 15, 2016 Kathy Worrell ツ rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was one of those reduced kindle books. I should pay more attention. This book would be great for an 8 year old girl.
Lee Anne
Lee Anne rated it did not like it
Jun 02, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Lorraine Gomez
Lorraine Gomez rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Lydia
Lydia rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Rhonda Patton
Rhonda Patton rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
I.B. Nosey, the O...: * Jan. 8, 2015, Tara Fairfield Guest Stars with I.B. Nosey! 1 1 Jan 08, 2015 05:18AM
Who is your favorite character? 2 5 Dec 23, 2013 10:57PM
Q&A with Tara Fai...: Favorite characters 1 4 Mar 05, 2013 08:10AM
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • Aftershock (Stone Braide Chronicles #1.5)
  • Thick as Thieves (Circle C Milestones, #1)
  • Unclaimed Legacy (History Mystery #2)
  • Hidden in Dreams (Book of Dreams #2)
  • A Boy Called Duct Tape
  • Necessary Heartbreak: A Novel of Faith and Forgiveness
  • Rebel (The Brides of Alba #3)
  • Starflower (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #4)
  • Beckon
  • Eye of the Sword (The Angelaeon Circle, #2)
  • The Glass Castle (Thirteen #1)
  • Cloak of the Light (Wars of the Realm, #1)
  • Unlocking the Kingdom: The Battle for Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom
  • A Portrait of Dawn (Dawn Trilogy #1)
  • Rock Harbor Search and Rescue (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #1)
  • The Calling (Seer #2)
  • Dark Halo (Angel Eyes, #3)

Dr. Tara Fairfield is a licensed Psychologist with over 20 years of experience working with youth and families. She earned her doctorate at Northern Arizona University.

Tara grew up on the beaches of California and has a passionate love for the ocean.
More about Tara Fairfield...

Makai (2 books)
  • Makai King (Makai #2)

“Creativity...passion...sweat...heartbreak...inspiration...and lots of hard work...that is what books are made of!” 3 likes