Start by marking “Oracle” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
As the countdown begins, the body count rises.

With London gearing up to host the Olympics, the city doesn’t need a serial killer stalking the streets. They’ve got one anyway.

Leaving a trail of brutal and bizarre murders, the police are no closer to finding their latest murderer than Detective Inspector Kurt Lancer is in finding a solution for his daughter’s disability.

Thru
Published July 30th 2012 by J. Taylor Publishing (first published July 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Oracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oracle

Insurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareFinale by Becca FitzpatrickThe Golden Lily by Richelle MeadPandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Most Anticipated reads for 2012
162nd out of 470 books — 811 voters
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareAllegiant by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothIgnite Me by Tahereh Mafi
Books I'd Punch A Lion In The Face For
127th out of 469 books — 495 voters

More lists with this book...

Aimee Laine
Feb 16, 2012 Aimee Laine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crime Thriller novel readers
Shelves:
4.5 stars, a fantastic read that kept me on my toes, heart racing until the end.

I’m pretty sure, if I ever decide I don’t want to write romance, that I will fall into the thriller/suspense/mystery category because I just LOVE them. I’m not so much into plain out mysteries, but there’s something about the thriller/suspense, particularly crime thrillers. That’s exactly what Oracle delivers.

From the first line of the story, until almost the last, I was thoroughly intrigued. The end is nowhere near
Cherie
Jun 04, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing
J.C. Martin’s ORACLE excites with a thrilling mystery revolving around Greek mythology and set against the backdrop of the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

Detective Inspector Kurt Lancer didn’t need another thing to go wrong with his life. His wife was murdered months ago, leaving Kurt in charge of raising his eight-year-old daughter. Juggling parental responsibilities and the police force may prove to be too much for Kurt when the newest serial killer threatens London. Kurt must discover who the k
Lynda R. Young
Jun 11, 2012 Lynda R. Young rated it it was amazing
J. C. Martin's ORACLE is a crime thriller I thoroughly enjoyed. From the very start the story had me in its grips and didn't let go until the end. The main character, Detective Inspector Kurt Lancer, came across as a wonderfully complex, interesting person (not just another character). I found I really cared what happened to him and his daughter. Even the killer had intriguing layers that had me enthralled as I learned more about his background that led to his twisted mind and terrible acts.

I al
William Stadler
Mar 17, 2013 William Stadler rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
YOU DON'T NEED EYES TO SEE

1. CHARACTERS [1 CUP OF COFFEE]
JC Martin puts you right into the driver's seat of the action with a very vibrant first scene, telling you exactly how things are going down. The opening scene is vivid and risqué, but not over the top, which is a big plus for me.

I found the second chapter to be an excellent contrast to the in-your-face style of writing from Chapter One as our main character, Kurt Lancer (cop and and single father), is spending some quality time with his d
Jocelyn Adams
Jun 12, 2012 Jocelyn Adams rated it really liked it
The first thing I noticed was the author really knows how to throw down a scene. Well written, constructed perfectly, and boy howdy does she know how to leave the reader hanging at the end of every chapter. Being a fan of British television and movies, I enjoyed the tone of the book and the Britishisms that give the read oodles of personality and charm.

Kurt was great, the main detective in the novel. His struggle with loss, being a single dad to a young girl with special needs, and the balance n
J.A. Belfield
For the record, I wanted to give this one 4.5 but half star ratings aren't available here (though I think they should be).
Now I'll bet you'll all wondering what's so special about this that it's worthy of an almost 5* rating from me. It's kind of hard to explain without filling my review with spoilers but I'll try.
First up, I'm a big fan of crime thrillers. But I've spent so long, recently, researching PNR and UF novels, I can't even remember the last time I read one, so it was so refreshing to
Elaine
Jul 31, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Martin has master the art of pulling you in slowly and building up the case until you can't put the book down. I think it also helped that the Olympics are on now and the book is centered around the London 2012 Olympics.

If you like mysteries, I recommend this book.
April
Oct 02, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing psychological read full of twists and turns! I loved the mythical base of the story intertwined with the suspense and thriller aspect of trying to beat the clock before it is too late!
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
I would like to thank JTaylor Publishing for allowing me to be a part of this tour. I have not read a lot of adult books this year but the ones I have had a chance to just throw me for a loop because they are so GOOD! Oracle was one of those stories that threw me for a loop. When I started reading Oracle I was amazed at the authors descriptions of the places and things surrounding the characters. I don't know about you but I need that in my reading because I like to visualize where the character ...more
Lisa Regan
Aug 28, 2012 Lisa Regan rated it it was amazing
It is hard to believe this is J.C. Martin's debut novel. Her writing is beautiful. The plot is tightly constructed. Her characters are complex and relatable. I connected to them immediately, especially the protagonist. He is as real as it gets. I really hope to see Kurt Lancer again. There are some very poignant moments in this book as he struggles with what it means to be a good single father, a good brother and with how to balance his job with his home life--all while hunting down a gruesome s ...more
Christine Rains
Jan 02, 2013 Christine Rains rated it it was amazing
Detective Kurt Lancer is on the trail of a serial killer. A killer becoming famous for the brutal and unusual ways of murdering his victims. The last thing London needs is a murderer on the loose with the Olympic Games about to start. Kurt wonders who might really be the killer when his home and daughter are targeted. As the nightmare and body count grows, he has to find who's behind it all or lose everything that matters to him.

This is an incredibly written thriller that pulled me along with ev
Jennifer Eaton
Aug 25, 2012 Jennifer Eaton rated it really liked it
About a month or so ago, I was sent a copy of Oracle by the publisher, and was asked to do a review. It sat in my inbox for a while. I had too many books that I WANTED to read, and I really didn’t want to trudge through a police-case style mystery.

Honestly, reading the blurb, the story didn’t really interest me, but after being disappointed by a few novels that I actually paid for, I decided to give this one a try.

Overall, the characters in this story are very believable. We have a detective who
MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov
This is not a book that I would typically read so I was a little skeptical on weather I was going to actually get through this book. Well I'm GLAD I stuck with because this book was better than I expected! J.C. Martin takes you on a creepy thrill ride that will leave you saying 'What the Hell?' at the end.

The setting of this story is in London, where the main character Kurt Lanser, who is a detective. He is a single father taking care of his daughter Meghan, and his younger brother Reggie. Lan
Michelle
Dec 27, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I won a paperback copy of Oracle in a competition hosted by J.C.Martin on her blog, in celebration of the release of her debut novel.

From the get-go, I knew it was going to be one of those "hard-to-put-down" books, and I was lucky enough to have sufficient time on my hands to complete the story in just under one week!

What did I like about the story? Everything.
I was especially drawn to the main character, Detective Kurt Lancer, a single parent who is devoted to his work and his special-needs d
Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)
J.C. Martin captures the very essence of a mystery thriller in her debut novel, Oracle! It's twisted and elusive murderer keeps suspense building as each crime takes its toll on lead detective Kurt Lancer and his determined partners.

Not only will Martin scare the living daylights out of her readers, but she will also give the story a sense of reality that only comes from having all the pieces of a mystery come together in the most unexpected ways. Oracle is a mystery that doesn't just focus on c
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
CONTEST: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

(We're having technical issues with our site. If the contest link doesn't work right away please rephrase and try again.)

I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery story and how well woven the pieces were into the whole. The Greek mythological theme was carried through beautifully, and I enjoyed how it was first introduced by the bedtime stories Kurt's nearly blind daughter was practicing reading to him. As the killer's motives and m.o. became clearer, so d
Stephanie
Oct 09, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
When I think of this book, the images of scenes play out in my head and I feel as though it was a movie. The author, J.C. Martin, describes scenes and characters thoroughly and seamlessly. I loved the author's choice of a contemporary setting (leading up to the 2012 Olympics in London). The integration of mythological symbolism into the story was both interesting and exciting. I was disappointed by the fact that, after introduced in the story, I correctly suspected one character of being the mur ...more
Clarissa Draper
Aug 13, 2012 Clarissa Draper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-mysteries
I just loved this piece of crime fiction. From the first chapter until the last, it pulled me in and wouldn't let go.

One of the best features are the unique characters. Because I hear that this book is the first in the series, I'm excited to learn that these characters will be brought back. I especially like the main character Kurt Lancer and his going-blind daughter Meghan. The quality time he spends with her off the case is precious.

I read this book while the Olympics were in London and so th
K.R. Smith
Aug 13, 2012 K.R. Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those liking detective stories or action stories
Overall, it was a good book. Some of the descriptions concerning sex seemed a little overdone and didn't add to the story (having them in there wasn't the problem, they just went further than needed). And there were some parts that were predictable, but enough of it wasn't that it was fun to read.

The pace really seems to pick up about 1/3 of the way through, so if you're having concerns before that, try to get that far and you'll probably want to finish.

If J.C. Martin writes another book, I woul
Romancing the Book
Feb 22, 2014 Romancing the Book rated it really liked it
Reviewed by April
Book provided by the publisher for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Oracle by J.C. Martin is an amazing psychological tale full of twists and turns that held me captivated from start to finish!

When I read the synopsis for this book, I was intrigued. It had been a while since I had read a police mystery and one centered around the Olympics in London 2012 sounded interesting. Add to that the aspect of psychological twists and a serial killer and I couldn’t wait
L.S. Murphy
Jul 12, 2012 L.S. Murphy rated it really liked it
Great mystery that ha me guessing all the way to the end! Full review here: http://lsmurphy.com/2012/07/10/book-r...
Emi Gayle
Feb 16, 2012 Emi Gayle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crime thriller novel readers
See my review under Aimee Laine
Lee Mavin
Sep 14, 2013 Lee Mavin rated it it was amazing
J.C Martin (an Asian woman living in England) has managed to write convincingly using both 3rd person and 1st person narratives. One a African-English detective (Kurt Lancer), the other a white maniac on a killing spree. She has the knack of the male voice and also the male lunatic. The Oracle is set in London, England right before the 2012 Olympics, which is a fresh and recent memory that we can all identify with. The London slang comes on thick at times in the this text as the characters all u ...more
Angela Brown
May 04, 2015 Angela Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oracle

This story is a fantastic read. I'm not usually a mystery reader, but something about this book really intrigued me so I had to give a try. I'm so glad I did. I look forward to the next book from Martin.
Nick Wilford
Jan 05, 2015 Nick Wilford rated it really liked it
A great psychological thriller with some pretty interesting elements including references to Greek mythology, which you don't get with every crime novel. Although I was not taken by surprise by every twist, there was enough there to keep me flicking pages. I hope to see more from JC Martin.
shanay
shanay marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Christi
Christi marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Mar 03, 2016
GOOD REVIEWS: 2 Review E-Copies of Crime Thriller ORACLE Available 1 5 Jul 31, 2013 06:19AM
The Mystery, Crim...: New Member: Reader & Writer 4 18 Dec 19, 2011 02:36PM
  • The P.U.R.E.
  • Make Believe
  • Touch of Frost
  • Surrender (Mimics of Rune, #2)
  • Puppet Parade
  • The Hollow Man (Nick Belsey, #1)
  • Dark Side of Valor
  • Graves' End: A Magical Thriller
  • Pride and Platypus: Mr. Darcy's Dreadful Secret
  • A Deceit to Die For
  • SOS: A Prequel to The Silence of Six
  • Pressed (The Kurt Vetter Trilogy, #2)
  • Cracks
  • Eye of the Soul (Pool of Souls #1)
  • Depth of Deception (A Titanic Murder Mystery)
  • The Tenth Saint (The Sarah Weston Chronicles #1)
  • She Wulf (Annie Loves Cham, #2)
  • Torn (Fire Born #2)
J.C. Martin is a butt-kicking bookworm: when she isn’t reading or writing, she teaches martial arts and self-defence to adults and children.

After working in pharmaceutical research, then in education as a schoolteacher, she decided to put the following to good use: one, her 2nd degree black belt in Wing Chun kung fu; and two, her overwhelming need to write dark mysteries and gripping thrillers wi
More about J.C. Martin...