Start by marking “The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts” as Want to Read:
The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts

The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts

Young lovers Tubby and Vim want to escape - escape the mistakes they've made, the lives they've lived, and the dirty city weighing them down. Their plan is simple - all they have to do is rip-off Tubby's pals, the One Tricks, the toughest street gang in LA! If they pull it off, they're set for life. If not, their lives won't matter much anyway. What was going to be a ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Legendary Comics LLC

To ask other readers questions about The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts

zxvasdf
Feb 14, 2013 zxvasdf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
It's good nobody was around because I squealed like a little girl when I found out about this book. Then disappointment set in. Disappointment in myself, that is. I usually follow up on authors when I enjoy their work like I enjoyed Batman: Year 100 and Heavy Liquid, but... alas, I have to find out much later that Paul Pope has several more masterpieces tucked in his belt. They must be dug up and consumed by myself! Or I shall die unfulfilled!

The One Trick Rip-Off is the evolution of Paul Pope's
First Second Books
You guys! My favorite part of this is the short comic where there’s the kid who has a crush on the girl and then the New York city subways happen but everything is okay in the end.

It’s a really wonderful, wordless story.
Glenn
Feb 03, 2013 Glenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
5 stars for the main story, which is stunning in full color. Now for the dessert, the 14 short pieces I had never heard of. Could this be Paul Pope's "Bootleg Series"? I hope there are more volumes to come. This is fantastic.

...and it maintains its greatness through the short bits -- the Columbus stories are so good -- from the charming episode with little girl and the huge beetle to the kinetic bicycle frenzy of Yes.
Brandon
Jan 26, 2013 Brandon rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, action, crime
A bit of everything in this book. It's a lot of Pope's early work, including an unpublished thing he did for Kondasha, which is neat. That said, it doesn't reach his heights. But again, it's early work. You can see the foundation of something rad. Which is cool.
P.
Jun 17, 2013 P. rated it liked it
Paul Pope! The art is often more powerful than the story but that doesn't mean that the stories are bad.
Ramie
Feb 27, 2013 Ramie rated it it was amazing
This, and all of my reviews (along with those of some other awesome chicks), can be found at: http://www.chicksgetlit.com/

A beautifully drawn 2 for 1 kind of comic / graphic novel. The main part is the longer story (One Trick Rip-off), which is basically a story of a bad guy (Tubby) who no longer wants to be a bad guy. How to get out of such a life? Rip off your fellow bad guys, because, you know who else to rip-off but people who already kind of deserve it and likely got their money by stealing
Andy Zell
May 26, 2016 Andy Zell rated it liked it
The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts by Paul Pope is a grab bag of early formative comics by an extremely talented artist. Pope’s art is full of action and expressive characters both heavily influenced by Japanese manga. The art is not a rip-off, though, but a blend of styles that becomes something new and uniquely his. The title story fits nicely in the crime genre, but with a bit of a supernatural twist. Rival gangs such as the Paid-in-Spades and the Do Nothings compete in the city, but ...more
Russell Grant
Feb 13, 2015 Russell Grant rated it liked it
3.5 stars, if it let me.

I recall the lead story from the old Dark Horse days, and it was fun to revisit it since I'd largely forgotten it. That said, it's a pretty typical, pulpy crime tale, and a really good one at that. The rest of the book, the Deep Cuts a varied and I think more interesting.

The only reason I'm not rating this one higher is the colouring. I remember some of these stories in the original black and white, and they just worked better in my opinion. The colouring is really well
Peter
Nov 13, 2013 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this might be a great read for folks who are already Paul Pope fans. If I've read something by him, I can't quite place it.
His art is really emotive, but for me it's kind of overly so. Characters look the same. The first story was decent, and I enjoyed how the action was allowed to take place over the whole book. Tons and tons of action-filled panels. But ultimately it just fell flat for me.

After the main story, there's a bunch of "b-sides" I guess you'd call them. Short little comics
Damon
Aug 17, 2013 Damon rated it it was amazing
This was always my favorite by Paul Pope, or at least my favorite complete work. The story isn't his best, but the art just hits that special point of amazing sometimes where it's like nothing else you've ever seen. He's probably done things that are better since, but I loved this then, when it first came out, and it still holds up as a pretty impressive work now. The inclusion of the "deep cuts" here is really a super nice bonus, too - I've always considered myself a PP completist, and I think ...more
Andy
Feb 16, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix-novel
The One Trick Rip-Off is a taut, suspenseful crime story about a street gang with exceptional hypnotic powers. The story is filled with plot holes but with Pope's exciting artwork it can be overlooked.

Likewise the same can be said for the Deep Cuts extras, very short sketches and mood pieces of love and childhood. The stories were lacking but the art never disappoints. I was very pleased to see the return of the hipster dishwasher from 100% and I think he's cool enough to return some more.
Aaron
A pleasant surprise, considering I purchased this item not at all familiar with Mr. Pope's work. His art is ferocious and honest and his writing is universally colloquial -- we all know someone (or think we know someone) who thinks or speaks or behaves like his characters. Many of the short stories in the latter half of the book are the best, and are a bit of a wrestling match between cultural quirkiness and inner city ennui.
Dan
Dec 18, 2014 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rival gangs in LA and everyone is Asian...whether it be Indian or Chinese. This is set on the future, and they all have "one trick" which is some sort of ability. Basically The One Tricks want to rob this rival gang, and well if I told ya what happened it would be spoiled for you. But this was only the first half of this massive hardcover. The rest were short stories, which didn't impress me at all. Read at your own risk.
Jared Millet
If Paul Pope could be described as the cool art-house indie film director of comic book creators, then this collection could be seen as an anthology of his experimental short-subjects only shown in film schools and indie festivals. The quality of the individual stories is hit-and-miss, but this being Pope they're always interesting. My personal favorite is "Portrait of a Girl With an Unpronounceable Name." Good stuff.
Jun 21, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I like all the differnt art styles a lot. He falls into the category of the Hernandez Brothers in his kind of punk-edgy characters. These are all jsut oen off stroies some better than others. I love that most of the characters are not white, it look like the real world. Well except for that theya re all super hot but you know...
Derek Parker
Oct 07, 2013 Derek Parker rated it liked it
An interesting look at some of Pope's early work. One of the stand-outs here is, obviously, the longer title piece "The One Trick Rip-Off," but other shorter stories, the "Deep Cuts," are equally worth noting. Among the most developed are "Portrait of a Girl with an Unpronounceable Name," "Super Trouble," and "Night Job."
Michael
Apr 02, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
via NYPL - One Trick Rip-Off is thrilling and oddly touching. The short stories are a mixed bag, sweet, kinetic, experimental - largely engaging, but not always fully realized. Interesting to see the promise and shortcomings in Pope's early work. He's done a terrific job realizing his full abilities.
Daniel
Nov 10, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few gems here (such as the title piece) and a bunch fairly random stories and snippets of Pope's earlier work. It works like a collection of his progress as style from the beginning. Really clever stuff in here, and also some musings on various things. Really dig it mostly for "One Trick Rip-Off" story, though.
Dru
Sep 03, 2013 Dru rated it it was ok
Shelves: a-graphic-novel
One problem that occurs with some Pope comics is that the white, messy haired main character looks an awful lot like the other white guy with messy hair who is trying to kill the main character. So the solution is to just look at their t-shirts, which is what I did for the rest of the story.

That should let you know everything you need to know about this book.
Melissa Bryan
Jul 06, 2014 Melissa Bryan rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I am so glad that I found Mr Pope...it was the first book by him that I read and I feel in love with his writing.

I am now in the process of purchasing all his books...I am a big graphic novel fan.

You can't go wrong with this or any of his books.
Adan
Jan 25, 2016 Adan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Pope's art a lot, but his writing often doesn't match up. A lot of his early work is contained in this, which exacerbates the writing issues. That said, there are some pretty neat shorts in here, and the main story, "The One Trick Rip-Off" is better than I expected.
Mike Klein
Mar 30, 2014 Mike Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely drawn graphic novel with a pretty good set of stories. Nothing mind blowing but worth the read.
Linnea
Beautiful artwork. Story was really short, though. The shorter pieces that followed The One Trick Rip-Off didn't quite hold my interest but they were also beautifully drawn.
Ksenia
Mar 21, 2013 Ksenia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning artwork! Great stories too. Loved seeing Paul's different art variations in the Deep Cuts stories.
Mike
Apr 03, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A very 90s book, which was ok on it's own, but I was pretty surprised that over 50% of this book was "extras"
Tristan Palmer
Jul 25, 2016 Tristan Palmer rated it really liked it
Just a further lingering example of how talented Paul Pope has been since the early days. Even a decade later, the story feels fresh and the kinetic art only adds to the experience of the read.
Neil
Neil rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Michael Hoskin
Michael Hoskin rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • Chance in Hell
  • RASL, Vol. 3: Romance at the Speed of Light (RASL, #3)
  • Ferals Volume 1 Hardcover
  • Strange Attractors
  • Mesmo Delivery
  • Fran
  • The Black Diamond Detective Agency
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 6: The Return of the Master (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #6)
  • I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! (The Complete Works of Fletcher Hanks, #1)
  • A Complete Lowlife
  • The Wrenchies
  • X-Force: Famous, Mutant & Mortal (X-Statix) (Hardcover)
  • Catwoman: Selina's Big Score
PAUL POPE is an American cartoonist living and working in New York City. Pope has made a name for himself internationally as an artist and designer. He has been working primarily in comics since the early '90s, but has also done a number of projects with Italian fashion label Diesel Industries and, in the US, with DKNY. His media clients include LucasArts, Paramount Pictures, Cartoon Network, ...more
More about Paul Pope...