Start by marking “Thank You, World” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Thank you, breeze, for lifting up my kite wings past treetops tall and proud. Thank you, trees. Your branches are my playhouse. I?m climbing to the clouds!

Eight very different kids, from eight different continents, all go about their day and experience the same moments of happiness: greeting the sun in the morning, swinging on a swing, flying a kite, being tucked in by Mom
Published October 18th 2007 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, World

Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited by Aldous HuxleyAround the World in Eighty Days by Jules VerneThe War of the Worlds by H.G. WellsDanny the Champion of the World by Roald DahlLet the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
The World
63rd out of 168 books — 21 voters
How I Learned Geography by Uri ShulevitzMaps by Aleksandra MizielinskaIf the World Were a Village by David J. SmithAdèle & Simon in America by Barbara McClintockIf You Lived Here by Giles Laroche
Picture Books About Maps & Geography
43rd out of 47 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Loved it! But, then, this is a marriage of two of my favorite things--the artwork of Wendy Anderson Halperin and comparisons of similar places, events and feelings in different countries. The book shares moments throughout the day of eight children from around the world (USA, Mexico, Bolivia, France, Mali, Saudi Arabia, India and China) as the experience the joys of nature, playtime and family and express their gratitude. So heartwarming! I love that this book shows our similarities while also c ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jan 22, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all children and their adults
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Absolutely stunning! Beautiful sentiments! I loved this book!

It follows eight children through their days, children from eight different countries (United States, Mexico, Bolivia, France, Mali, Saudi Arabia, India, China) who are all enjoying the simple pleasures of life. What’s thanked?: the sun, the sky, a swing, the grass, a breeze, trees, clouds, rain, a window, stars, mommy, and nighttime. These are things with which most children will identify. Because of how the content is structured, thi
The Library Lady
The illustrator says she was inspired by a Confucian quote invoking "gravity, generostiy of soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindess". And certainly this is sincere, earnest and kind.
But a children's book needs more than that. And though the pictures are beautiful, and the text poetic, this lacks child appeal......
Linda
Eight children from eight countries share their gratitude for common yet wonderful things that surround them. This is a simple and lovely book. First, gratitude. Second, how different, yet how similar are these children. What a celebration of living and of life!
I think I need to buy this book.
Mijail Beltran
I really like this book because of the art work and how each pictures represents something. I also like the the pictures that show parts of the world and how it is represented on each picture. Nature is also one of the things I like the most and I believe students can learn a lot from this book. I find interesting how the picture show what type of activities each country has and how the people interact with each other. I think this tells a lot in the pictures and it can be use to explain the div ...more
Alexa Maring
Teach children about showing appreciation and gratitude to the things that we take for granted. Simple things that the world offers us, are things that we do not take time out of our day to appreciate. What I love about this book, more than its voice of gratitude, is the illustrations. Wendy Anderson Halperin chose to illustrate the book with eight different cultures demonstrating the words. In eight different countries students are able to see kites flying, the sun rise, and different wildlife. ...more
Alicia Feller
Children from eight different countries (USA, Mexico, Bolivia, France, Mali, Saudi Arabia, India, and China) say Thank You for to the world for the little things that make their life wonderful: a blue shining sky; rain that makes the flowers grow; and moms tucking them in at night.

How I would use with students:

This text would make a wonderful addition to the classroom because it highlights different cultures, is written in a poetic style, and because it shows how to be thankful for the little th
Lee
May 07, 2014 Lee added it
Beautiful book
Janet
Thank You, World by Alice B. McGinty is a rhyming story about eight children from different countries: United States(North American), Mexico(North America) Mali(Africa), Saudi Arabia(Asia), Bolivia(South America, and China(Asia). As you read the story to your child you can point out the differences of each child and the similarities of each culture. Try using a globe to point out each country as well.
Margo Dill
This is a sweet picture book about being thankful for things in everyday life. The best part are the illustrations--showing us how the lyrical line of text would look in eight different countries with eight different children. This is one of those books you can read again and again and notice something different each time! Perfect for bedtime stories.
Paula
A gorgeous book about elements in nature and showing these elements in different parts of the world. Showing kids in different cultures. The pictures are smaller but colorful and could be good for story time. The rhyme is very interesting because the last word from the previous page is used as the first on the next spread.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Cathy says:

Eight very different kids, from eight different continents, all go about their day and experience the same moments of happiness--greeting the sun in the morning, swinging on a swing, flying a kite, being tucked in by Mommy at bedtime--in this uplifting book. Full of color.
Jamie
Loved it. Beautiful illustrations, a simple message of appreciation and joy, and lots of views of all around the world (which I, personally, can never get enough of). The comparison of all the different places gives a sense of unity as well.
Jillian
A beautiful multi-cultural book depicting scenes in the daily lives of eight children around the world. It shows, without preaching, that we are all the same in the ways that matter, and different in ways that make us unique and interesting.
Kelly
This book shows children on every page doing the same things, but each in their own parts of the world. It is a simple way to show children comparative ways of living, from eating, to playing, to going to bed at night. Lovely.
Sara B
This book has few words and is mainly pictures. The illustrations are very beautiful and the author did a wonderful job. However this may not necessarily be a fun read for children they will enjoy the illustrations.
Michaela
What an awesome book! Shows children thanking the world, from 7 countries. Great for diversity, Earth Day, thanksfulness and more. Also great for sequencing, as the book repeats itself on each page.
Miranda Gaboury
This is a great book that uses the comparison of certain events and shows it happening in different countries. This would be a great illustration for compare and contrast.
A cyclic book surveying the typical day of children in eight different countries. Good for reading one-on-one; I don't think it would work well with a large group.
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a14, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 119711 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.4 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Jenny
I love the illustrations comparing the homes, beds, flowers, trees, etc. from 8 different countries. My children were also enchanted with this book.
Gretchen
Beautiful illustrations and simple rhyming verse that follows 8 children in different parts of the world and the similarities they share.
Laci
This book would be great to start a unit on diversity. The pictures show the differences between the different parts of the world.
Chanel
This book explores different cultures. It has pictures and just a little bit about with makes the culture different.
Lori
Stunning artwork, beautiful language, culturally diverse. A great book!
Jenny
What a beautiful book.
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Lori
Lori added it
Sep 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ten Little Lambs Meet Eve Bunting Meet Jerry Spinelli Staying Healthy: Personal Safety Producers in the Food Chain