Start by marking “The Peterkins' Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Peterkins' Christmas

The Peterkins' Christmas (The Peterkins)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Meet the Peterkins. There's Mr. and Mrs. Peterkin, Agamemnon, Solomon John, Eliza-beth Eliza, and the three Little Boys (who everyone forgot to name when they were born).

The Peterkins love a good surprise almost as much as they love Christmas-time, and this year is no different as they try to surprise the Little Boys with their tallest Christmas tree ever. All their secret
Published October 5th 2004 by Atheneum Books (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Peterkins' Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peterkins' Christmas

Dianna
This is my first encounter with the Peterkins. They come up with fantastic solutions to simple problems, such as raising the ceiling to accommodate their tall Christmas tree instead of cutting off the bottom of the tree, and playing the piano through the open window instead of moving it so the keys face into the room. My four-year-old son thought it was pretty funny. I love the period setting and the beautiful illustrations.
JaNeal
This book is almost more of a 3 1/2 for me (it's a little long and the letter excerpts are not seamless) but the tongue-in-cheek humor is so much fun, I just couldn't write this one off.

Some of the word-crafting is genius and the twist and turns can be hilarious. The comedic story model it follows is also excellent. Though I see some hiccups in this book, there is still much I can learn from it.

Reading this book has motivated me to send the original Peterkin classic to my Kindle. I'm curious!
Dolly
Dec 29, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining and silly tale about a family's preparations for Christmas. The story doesn't make very much sense, but I suppose it isn't supposed to. It's the first story we've read about the Peterkins family and I've just discovered that these stories go back to the 1800s.

The illustrations are wonderful and remind us of Wendy Anderson Halperin's work on the Cobble Street Cousins series. The story is a bit long for a picture book, but would be appropriate for older children. We enjoye
Vivian
This hilarious illustrated chapter from a children's novel is reminiscent of Amelia Bedelia.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The Peterkins are a mess. They want to surprise their neighbors and relatives with a beautiful Christmas tree, but the tree is too tall and they have no ornaments and it’s hard to play the piano sitting outside in the snow….but there is always the Lady from Philadelphia to help them. Best part: humor. Ages 8-12.
Relyn
Jul 03, 2013 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and teachers
I wrote about the Peterkin's Thanksgiving recently. Their Christmas adventures are just as entertaining. This book is a hoot. As always, Halperin doesn't disappoint. Check it out.
Kevin
Very funny. I am now reading the orginal Peterkin Papers by Lucretia P. Hale.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Angela Freeman
Angela Freeman marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Sarvinoz
Sarvinoz marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Redlemon
Redlemon marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Brittanne Peterkin
Brittanne Peterkin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Emily Mellow
Emily Mellow marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2010
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2010
Pumpkin Hill Halloween Sky Ride The Long, Long Letter In the Garden Disney's Christmas Storybook Collection