Start by marking “Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking” as Want to Read:
Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

With more than ten reprints, it's clear cookbook author Madhur Jaffrey wins the popular vote for delicious Indian recipes that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. Now with a beautiful new design and all-new photographs, Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking is ready to wow another generation of home cooks. Written by the world's foremost authority on Indian c ...more
Published July 12th 2007 by Chronicle Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

♪ Kim
Jun 28, 2016 ♪ Kim rated it really liked it
Read and ready to try out some recipes. Indian cooking is very intimidating to me, so this book seems like the perfect way to get started.
Karene
May 30, 2008 Karene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Lately I've been experimenting with Indian cooking and this book has been a fantastic way to get started. Most of the recipes are simple (as Indian cooking goes) and can be prepared in a reasonable amount of time, though I'm not sure I'd say 30 minutes, as she claims. Most of them can be prepared in 30 minutes once you've chopped your fresh ingredients, which takes some time. Again, I find that Ms. Jaffrey is an expert at flavors. These recipes come out tasting like something you'd find in a res ...more
Brendan
Oct 17, 2014 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had actually tried offering Indian dishes I discovered on the Internet, as well as my boyfriend, a Punjabi which cherishes his meals, would pleasantly consume them. The very first time I made Ms. Jaffrey's "daily" Chick in Fried Onion Sauce, he counted on me with a huge smile on his face and states "it's nearly perfect - I would never recognize this was not prepped by a born-Indian!".
Well - that's all the proof I required! The only consistent issue we have with regards to the book is that the
James Shrimpton
Nov 16, 2015 James Shrimpton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A "Quick and Easy" recipe book that is actually just that. Quick, and easy. Normally these types of books are only quick and easy for a restaurant chef but Madhur Jaffrey has really made this simple. Not only that but the recipes I've tried so far are just absolutely delicious, especially the Royal Chicken and, what is now my go-to dish for having people over, the Pork Shoulder Vindaloo.

As authentic as it comes when you're taking half an hour to make a dish that normally takes a few hours, this
Lisa
Jan 21, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Indian food! However, I must have picked all duds in this book. I made the mushroom curry (too garlicky) the Chicken Red Lentils & Green Beans (boring). I am on a salt free diet so maybe that little bit of salt is just ruining these recipes? Not sure, because I always do well with Neelam Batra's Vegetarian Indian Cooking. oh well. I am trying her red lentils tarka and if that sucks I am swearing Ms. Jaffrey's books off forever.
Francine
Sep 27, 2014 Francine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This cookbook has many easy to read and prepare recipes. I have chosen 5 recipes to help me on the adventure to learning a bit about Indian cuisine.

Recommended.
Allison
Oct 26, 2014 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I wish it had a few more vegetable/vegetarian options, but otherwise it seems like a great book!
Camille
Aug 05, 2007 Camille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
When Madhur Jaffrey says "quick and easy," she means it! This is one of the best Indian cookbooks out there, in my opinion, and it has everything from the veg to non-veg menu. Most of these recipes can be finished (from prep to cook time) in 20 minutes, especially if you've kept your spice cabinet stocked. Anytime I'm wiped and want a quick, satisfying meal, this is what I look to.
Megan Tomson
Sep 30, 2011 Megan Tomson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neil and I wanted to learn how to cook Indian food, since it's pretty much our favorite cuisine, and thought this book looked like a non-intimidating place to start. We've only made six of the recipes in here so far, but they've all been easy and utterly delicious (and one of them has already become part of our regular meal rotation). This book is going to rapidly become dog-eared.
Allison
Nov 01, 2007 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Indian food lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
This is probably my favorite cookbook ever. It is EXACTLY what it says it is and after having tried almost every recipe, I can say with certainly that if you like the flavors of India without the fuss and time, you can make some really great food from this book. Shrimp in cream sauce is the world's easiest dish and takes one bowl and one pan.
Laurel
Jan 24, 2013 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came out of nowhere to become not only my new favorite ethnic cookbook, but my new favorite cookbook, period. The recipes are delicious and straightforward to prepare. Not only do I recommend this particular cookbook, but also any of Chronicle Books' line of "Quick & Easy" line of ethnic cookbooks. They really do live up to their name.
Judy
Jan 12, 2008 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-cookbooks
I haven't made anything from this yet, but I have read through it, and the recipes look delicious and fairly simple. The pictures are beautiful, and very tempting. I went out today to stock up on Indian spices, so that I can try some of these recipes!
Karrie
Jul 07, 2009 Karrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to learn how to cook Indian food.
This cookbook helped me to get over my fear of cooking Indian food. The recipes are detailed and the ingredients are explained. My favourite recipe is the 'Chicken Korma'....I've received many compliments from dishes I make using this cookbook.
Bee
Oct 15, 2010 Bee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domesticity
I finally broke down and bought a copy of this wonderful cookbook after checking it out from the library numerous times. It's awesome. The spicy grilled chicken combined with the tomato/cucumber/yogurt sauce is a huge favorite of mine.
Sheila
Feb 11, 2008 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-eats
I learned so much about Indian cooking and spices from this book. I was a young pup when it was first given to me and not very experienced in kitchen. Every recipe is easy to follow, relatively quick, and absolutely delicious.
Erika
Jan 01, 2009 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love to cook, was always a little daunted by the complexity of Indian. These recipes are, as advertised, fast, simple, and totally delicious.

Must love hot food and be willing to purchase 17 additional spice jars.
Jamie
Apr 16, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I've made about 10 dishes from this book and each has been a success. The way the recipes are written and explained practically guarantees success, and each has been really delicious. Best Indian cookbook yet.
Beka
Jun 14, 2016 Beka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Very nice. This might be a good way for someone to get started with Indian cooking since the recipes can all be made in about 30 minutes.
Cindy DeBoer
I borrowed this cookbook so many times from the library I finally decided to buy my own (my usual strategy with unknown cookbooks).
Nan.C
Oct 07, 2010 Nan.C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great cook book. Have tried a number of recipes and found them easy to follow and have enjoyed the results, so have my family.
Marsha
Feb 13, 2010 Marsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the recipes but haven't tried to cook any of them. Seems I spend more time looking at recipes than actually cooking!
Lee
Sep 27, 2009 Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2009-reads
I have this out from the library. The recipes look easy and delicious. Good photos.
Mahin
Dec 02, 2008 Mahin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly easy recipes that actually turn out tasting good!
baxter baxter
Jan 27, 2009 baxter baxter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
Excellent recipes, quick to prepare, common ingredients.
Teeny Dobbs
Dec 23, 2012 Teeny Dobbs rated it it was amazing

Excellent, simple and delicious.
Kate Raven
yes, i do read cookbooks for fun
J Frank Parnell
Apr 02, 2008 J Frank Parnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
every recipe
Christopher Prosser
cookbooks
Sharifah Al-Ghamdi
Sharifah Al-Ghamdi marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Cynthia Sutton
Cynthia Sutton rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
  • Real Thai: The Best of Thailand's Regional Cooking
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • 660 Curries
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • The Minimalist Cooks at Home: Recipes That Give You More Flavor from Fewer Ingredients in Less Time
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • 50 Great Curries of India
  • Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
  • Real Fast Food
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
  • Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
Madhur Jaffrey is the person who brought curries into the mainstream with her 1973 debut book An Invitation to Indian Cookery.
More about Madhur Jaffrey...