Start by marking “Too Much, Too Late” as Want to Read:
Too Much, Too Late

Too Much, Too Late

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  187 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Reunited more than a decade after their brief flirtation with fame in the early 1990s, the middle-aged members of the Ohio-based Jane Ashers suddenly find themselves hitting the big time, with a new record deal, a hit single, fame, fans, and a tour, that transforms their dream into a nightmare of colliding egos, family pressures, and too much success too late.
Published February 28th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Too Much, Too Late, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Much, Too Late

Rachel
Dec 21, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
I remember reading articles by Marc Spitz in Spin Magazine in the nineties and always thought he was an entertaining writer. Overall, this book was a fun, fast read, good for people who have been in bands, dated people in bands, or just followed indie/alternative/whatever music for a long time. The narrator, Sandy, is the drummer for the Jane Ashers, a band that almost made it, until they did, over a decade later. I like the character of Sandy, but I think that Spitz sold his story short. This b ...more
Ciara
Nov 21, 2008 Ciara rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: east coast rock critic establishment elitists who think they are novelists
Shelves: read-in-2006
another book that begs the question: why did i read this? it's a novel set in ohio. the story is about four schlumpy dudes who form a garage band & somehow hit the big-time. no one is more surprised than they are. now, my question: has there ever been a novel that revolved around people in a band, or people living the punk lifestyle, or anything that is especially invested in being sub-cultural, that didn't totally suck? because i have book after book like this in my reading archives, but wh ...more
Christie
Dec 22, 2014 Christie rated it it was ok
Shelves: fictional-bands
Too Much Too Late is, overall, a good book -- its fast paced, fun and a super quick read. But, in all honesty, I just can't give it anything more than two stars.

The main issue with the book is that the characters simply aren't memorable. You only truly understand protagonist, while many other important supporting character are left as a dry, empty puzzle for me. Events simply occur and characters change with little explanation as to why they reacted in that way.

Besides that, Too Much Too Late a
Lola
Oct 22, 2012 Lola rated it it was ok
So a bunch of guys have this pretty cool band in the 90s. They aren't really anything special but they get to play a local show or two before the lead singer falls in with this chick and has a baby, so the band is dead. Everyone goes about their lives and moves on and gets fat and bald and ugly and pretty soon the guitar singer gets really pissed and bitter and decides it's time to try and reunite the band. Which he does, sort of. SO they start rocking out and then the lead singer starts whining ...more
Emily
Sep 14, 2007 Emily rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Middle-aged men going through a mid-life crisis
Straight to paperback for a reason, even had a few typos. This book seemed to be hastily written and poorly edited. I literally wished I could punch some of the characters in the face - they and this book just felt so full of themselves and their own cleverness. Overflowed with cute and oh-so-precious musical references and insider info, enough to gag you.

As a woman, I couldn't get behind these aging male "protagonists" and the old boy's club of rock and roll -complete with obligatory lusting a
C.I. DeMann
Aug 24, 2015 C.I. DeMann rated it really liked it
This book was good fun. Not perfect, but still, good fun. If you like garage rock and want a fun little fantasy about becoming a rock star, you'll enjoy this.
Meagan
Mar 07, 2014 Meagan rated it liked it
Oh, Spitz, fire your copyeditor - I know you know it's GRAM Parsons and not GRAHAM. Fun little read, here - though if you're like me and this book was recommended to you because you're a Guided By Voices fan (and the Jane Ashers were allegedly inspired by GBV, likewise Spurts = Strokes), you'd do well to pick yourself up a copy of Artificial Light by James Greer. Pay special attention to the Henry Radio/Whiskey Ships parts. Don't say I never did nothin' fer ya.
D
Jul 09, 2008 D rated it liked it
melissa
Jul 10, 2008 melissa rated it it was ok
From one of the guys who brought us "We Got the Neutron Bomb," this novel is: a very easy read (pretty fluffy, actually), a cute but completely silly/ridiculous story, FULL to the brim of stupid contemporary indie rock pop culture references that make the author seem Old and Out of Touch, and fairly unnecessary reading. I gave it 2 stars rather than 1 because it was, i admit, an entertaining (albeit completely unbelievable) story, and because LOT'S of genuinely hilarious dialogue is contained wi ...more
Steve Gozdecki
Jan 09, 2014 Steve Gozdecki rated it really liked it
Far fetched but entertaining. As someone who never bothered to learn how to play or even got any of his "bands" to a second rehearsal, I'm drawn to books about how these things come together and fall apart. Funny, sad and just the right length.
Kate
Apr 02, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
This is good for a light read but not much else. I liked the idea behind the book but some elements of it bothered me. The relationship between the main character and the teenage girl I found kind of creepy, like whose parents would let their 16 year old girl hang out with a middle aged man. Creepy. Other than that it was a good quick read with some funny elements to it.
Gerry LaFemina
Dec 10, 2011 Gerry LaFemina rated it liked it
I'm a literate punk rocker, and I really wanted to like Marc Spits's book, but the first third moved too slowly, and the characters all seemed cliched in a way that allowed me to see what was going to happen long before I read the passages. It's cute, it's clever and it's readily forgettable unlike the famous Jane Ashers' song, "Let's Go Steady Debbie."
Beth Gaston
Oct 04, 2010 Beth Gaston rated it it was amazing
A great tale of friendship, loss, near-misses, and most of all, rock and roll. The only frustrating part about this book is wondering if there was a real-life inspiration. Material Issue? Fountains of Wayne? Pick it up and see your own theories.
Christine
Apr 22, 2007 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2007
Not the best book I've read, but entertaining. It's the story of a band that falls apart on the brink of success and then reunites as "old guys" to give it one more go.
Rachel
Mar 03, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Granted, I've only read it 8 or 9 times. It's humorous and entertaining. It's a good, but fictional, peek into life in a famous rock band.
Rolo de la France
May 30, 2012 Rolo de la France rated it liked it
pretty cool book, i think the ending was kind plain but the whole story was interesting. thats what happens when fame comes a lil too late
Alan
Mar 03, 2008 Alan rated it really liked it
Wow, great fun for the closet rocker in all of us (those who know what Raw Power and September Gurls is with no further explanation).
Autumn skye gerhard
Oct 23, 2008 Autumn skye gerhard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Really wonderful.

I really like the way ?Marc Spitz writes, he make you feel included in the story.
Mr.diggles
Took me way too long to read but a thorough raunchy read.
Kaitlin
Aug 21, 2011 Kaitlin rated it it was ok
Generally creepy, had some good one-liners.
Suebaby
Mar 26, 2008 Suebaby rated it really liked it
will keep you laughing out loud until the end
Batmaniak
Batmaniak marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Raine Henry
Raine Henry marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Heather Clarke
Heather Clarke marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Jaime Barnhart zastrow
Jaime Barnhart zastrow marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Vindaloo
Vindaloo marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Martine
Martine marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Mandy
Mandy added it
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
way to go, archie.... 1 2 Mar 23, 2012 08:53AM
  • Miss Misery
  • So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star: How I Machine-Gunned a Roomful Of Record Executives and Other True Tales from a Drummer's Life
  • So You Want to Be a Rock Star
  • Rock Chicks
  • Tempo Change
  • Fender Benders
  • Getting Over Jack Wagner
  • Waking Up in the Land of Glitter: A Crafty Chica Novel
  • When I Grow Up
  • Terror on Tour (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery II, #1)
  • Let's Spend the Night Together: Backstage Secrets of Rock Muses and Supergroupies
  • A&R
  • My Name is Will
  • Shooting Straight: Guns, Gays, God, and George Clooney
  • Futureproof
  • Hard Work: Life In Low Pay Britain
  • Weeping Women Hotel
  • Wish You Were Here: An Essential Guide to Your Favorite Music Scenes—from Punk to Indie and Everything in Between
Marc Spitz is a former senior writer at Spin magazine. His work has also appeared in The New York Times, Maxim, Blender, Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, Nylon and the New York Post. Spitz is the co-author (with Brendan Mullen) of the 2001 LA punk oral history We Got The Neutron Bomb: The Untold Story of L.A. Punk. He has authored two novels, How Soon is Never (2003) and Too Much, Too Late (2006), as w ...more
More about Marc Spitz...