Start by marking “Too Much, Too Late” as Want to Read:
Too Much, Too Late

Too Much, Too Late

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Reunited more than a decade after their brief flirtation with fame in the early 1990s, the middle-aged members of the Ohio-based Jane Ashers suddenly find themselves hitting the big time, with a new record deal, a hit single, fame, fans, and a tour, that transforms their dream into a nightmare of colliding egos, family pressures, and too much success too late.
Published February 28th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Too Much, Too Late, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Much, Too Late

Christie
Too Much Too Late is, overall, a good book -- its fast paced, fun and a super quick read. But, in all honesty, I just can't give it anything more than two stars.

The main issue with the book is that the characters simply aren't memorable. You only truly understand protagonist, while many other important supporting character are left as a dry, empty puzzle for me. Events simply occur and characters change with little explanation as to why they reacted in that way.

Besides that, Too Much Too Late a
Rachel
I remember reading articles by Marc Spitz in Spin Magazine in the nineties and always thought he was an entertaining writer. Overall, this book was a fun, fast read, good for people who have been in bands, dated people in bands, or just followed indie/alternative/whatever music for a long time. The narrator, Sandy, is the drummer for the Jane Ashers, a band that almost made it, until they did, over a decade later. I like the character of Sandy, but I think that Spitz sold his story short. This b ...more
Lola
So a bunch of guys have this pretty cool band in the 90s. They aren't really anything special but they get to play a local show or two before the lead singer falls in with this chick and has a baby, so the band is dead. Everyone goes about their lives and moves on and gets fat and bald and ugly and pretty soon the guitar singer gets really pissed and bitter and decides it's time to try and reunite the band. Which he does, sort of. SO they start rocking out and then the lead singer starts whining ...more
Ciara
Nov 21, 2008 Ciara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: east coast rock critic establishment elitists who think they are novelists
Shelves: read-in-2006
another book that begs the question: why did i read this? it's a novel set in ohio. the story is about four schlumpy dudes who form a garage band & somehow hit the big-time. no one is more surprised than they are. now, my question: has there ever been a novel that revolved around people in a band, or people living the punk lifestyle, or anything that is especially invested in being sub-cultural, that didn't totally suck? because i have book after book like this in my reading archives, but wh ...more
Emily
Sep 14, 2007 Emily rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle-aged men going through a mid-life crisis
Straight to paperback for a reason, even had a few typos. This book seemed to be hastily written and poorly edited. I literally wished I could punch some of the characters in the face - they and this book just felt so full of themselves and their own cleverness. Overflowed with cute and oh-so-precious musical references and insider info, enough to gag you.

As a woman, I couldn't get behind these aging male "protagonists" and the old boy's club of rock and roll -complete with obligatory lusting a
Meagan
Oh, Spitz, fire your copyeditor - I know you know it's GRAM Parsons and not GRAHAM. Fun little read, here - though if you're like me and this book was recommended to you because you're a Guided By Voices fan (and the Jane Ashers were allegedly inspired by GBV, likewise Spurts = Strokes), you'd do well to pick yourself up a copy of Artificial Light by James Greer. Pay special attention to the Henry Radio/Whiskey Ships parts. Don't say I never did nothin' fer ya.
D
melissa
From one of the guys who brought us "We Got the Neutron Bomb," this novel is: a very easy read (pretty fluffy, actually), a cute but completely silly/ridiculous story, FULL to the brim of stupid contemporary indie rock pop culture references that make the author seem Old and Out of Touch, and fairly unnecessary reading. I gave it 2 stars rather than 1 because it was, i admit, an entertaining (albeit completely unbelievable) story, and because LOT'S of genuinely hilarious dialogue is contained wi ...more
Steve Gozdecki
Far fetched but entertaining. As someone who never bothered to learn how to play or even got any of his "bands" to a second rehearsal, I'm drawn to books about how these things come together and fall apart. Funny, sad and just the right length.
Kate
This is good for a light read but not much else. I liked the idea behind the book but some elements of it bothered me. The relationship between the main character and the teenage girl I found kind of creepy, like whose parents would let their 16 year old girl hang out with a middle aged man. Creepy. Other than that it was a good quick read with some funny elements to it.
Gerry LaFemina
I'm a literate punk rocker, and I really wanted to like Marc Spits's book, but the first third moved too slowly, and the characters all seemed cliched in a way that allowed me to see what was going to happen long before I read the passages. It's cute, it's clever and it's readily forgettable unlike the famous Jane Ashers' song, "Let's Go Steady Debbie."
Beth Gaston
A great tale of friendship, loss, near-misses, and most of all, rock and roll. The only frustrating part about this book is wondering if there was a real-life inspiration. Material Issue? Fountains of Wayne? Pick it up and see your own theories.
Christine
Not the best book I've read, but entertaining. It's the story of a band that falls apart on the brink of success and then reunites as "old guys" to give it one more go.
Rachel
I loved this book. Granted, I've only read it 8 or 9 times. It's humorous and entertaining. It's a good, but fictional, peek into life in a famous rock band.
Rolo de la France
pretty cool book, i think the ending was kind plain but the whole story was interesting. thats what happens when fame comes a lil too late
Alan
Wow, great fun for the closet rocker in all of us (those who know what Raw Power and September Gurls is with no further explanation).
Autumn skye gerhard
Oct 23, 2008 Autumn skye gerhard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Really wonderful.

I really like the way ?Marc Spitz writes, he make you feel included in the story.
Mr.diggles
Took me way too long to read but a thorough raunchy read.
Kaitlin
Generally creepy, had some good one-liners.
Suebaby
will keep you laughing out loud until the end
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
way to go, archie.... 1 2 Mar 23, 2012 08:53AM
  • Miss Misery
  • So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star: How I Machine-Gunned a Roomful Of Record Executives and Other True Tales from a Drummer's Life
  • So You Want to Be a Rock Star
  • Fender Benders
  • Tempo Change
  • Getting Over Jack Wagner
  • Rock Chicks
  • Waking Up in the Land of Glitter: A Crafty Chica Novel
  • Terror on Tour (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery II, #1)
  • When I Grow up: A Memoir
  • Let's Spend the Night Together: Backstage Secrets of Rock Muses and Supergroupies
  • A&R
  • Peoplemaking
  • Balls: A Novel
  • My Name is Will
  • Monster, 1959
  • No Future
  • Hard Work: Life In Low Pay Britain
Marc Spitz is a former senior writer at Spin magazine. His work has also appeared in The New York Times, Maxim, Blender, Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, Nylon and the New York Post. Spitz is the co-author (with Brendan Mullen) of the 2001 LA punk oral history We Got The Neutron Bomb: The Untold Story of L.A. Punk. He has authored two novels, How Soon is Never (2003) and Too Much, Too Late (2006), as w ...more
More about Marc Spitz...
How Soon Is Never? Bowie: A Biography Nobody Likes You: Inside the Turbulent Life, Times, and Music of Green Day Jagger: Rebel, Rock Star, Rambler, Rogue Poseur: A Memoir of Downtown New York City in the '90s