Start by marking “The Better World Handbook: From Good Intentions to Everyday Actions” as Want to Read:
The Better World Handbook: From Good Intentions to Everyday Actions

The Better World Handbook: From Good Intentions to Everyday Actions

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  154 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
It would be a perfect world if everyone could quit their jobs and devote themselves fully to the causes they believed in. Instead, "The Better World Handbook" shows caring, but busy people how to live out their progressive values "and" have a life! The principle behind this engaging guide is to incorporate everyday activism into even the most mundane areas of our lives-lik ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Better World Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Better World Handbook

Mr. MacConnell
Sep 10, 2008 Mr. MacConnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
A nice, simple place to find practical suggestions for making small changes in your daily routine that can add up to a big impact in the areas of social justice, sustainable economics and environment, and stronger community. In addition to simple suggestions categorized by different aspects of life, the volume also provides countless additional resources, websites and further reads to enhance the reader's access to information.

Keith
Aug 13, 2008 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mr. MacConnell
Aug 13, 2008 Mr. MacConnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lisa
Jun 02, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, green
Really great and helpful when I read it at the beginning of uni. Some recommendations weren't helpful to me because I'm not in the states and some things are a little dated now but it still holds up.
Heidi
Feb 16, 2015 Heidi rated it liked it
This book has some really great suggestions for how to live a life that reflects your values. I appreciate how well-researched it is and how many great resources it includes. While it is pretty blatantly left-leaning (it is written by progressives after all) I appreciated that the Politics section included many non-partisan sources of information. Some of it is difficult to take completely seriously (One section reads, "Most conventional board games teach kids the importance of winning...pretty ...more
Nathan
Sep 01, 2007 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
Here you have it: A much needed new edition of the greatest guide for those wanting to make a difference!

I've owned the previous version of this book for over 3 years now and have been eagerly anticipating this new version. This handy guide is inspiring and amazingly practical at the same time. These experts have done the leg work to find out what normal people can do in every aspect of their lives to make a better world. If you are wondering how you can better live out your values in the way yo
Elise Schebler Roberts
Love this book for its practical yet inspiring tone
Patrick
Mar 31, 2010 Patrick rated it really liked it
This book is full of ideas for helping make the world a better place. I also appreciate the authors' honesty and understanding that it is unreasonable to take every action in this book, and instead more valuable to act on the areas where you feel you can make the most difference. It is comforting to know that there are people in our world who are writing books with hope of a better tomorrow.
Samhy
Oct 15, 2012 Samhy rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
This book was really interesting. It provides the reader with great ideas to make a better world.
However the book is North America oriented and it was published about a decade ago, so many things are different from what I may experience.
I will still recommend this book around me and even give my copy to a very close friend who can make good use of it.
Amber Adkins
Feb 16, 2011 Amber Adkins rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment
Unfortunately this book was not as helpful as I'd hoped. If you've never really given much thought as to how your day to day choices make an impact then this would be a great place to start. But for me it was nothing new and the recommendations of which companies to support and which to avoid lacked information as to why they were given a particular grade.
Jessie
Oct 06, 2008 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read this book and become an everyday activist! I am proud of the fact that I took three sociology college courses with Ellis Jones, the writer of this book. Read this book and I guarantee it will make you feel more hopeful, alive and empowered!
Alicia
Feb 06, 2008 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has some great ideas and suggestions for living "greener". Very informative. Shows you how even the small things can make a big difference. Has some interesting lists and statistics.
Carrie
Oct 10, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This makes a great coffee table book to page through anytime. It gives broad information about sustainable living, as well as practical advice like what stores have good/bad practices.
Eva
Jul 29, 2007 Eva rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: environmentalists
a good reference book for small ways to be green. green banking, what fish are least harmful to the environment, etc.
Trang
Oct 19, 2008 Trang rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This book shows you how to be the change you wish to see in the world. Little things do make a difference.
Jacy Merrill
Dec 07, 2012 Jacy Merrill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple handbook for starting to go green. We use this as a resource for our students at the college.
Anke
Nov 28, 2007 Anke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reference on where to start with changes in personal life that effect our planet!
Kevin
Sep 02, 2007 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Like Nate, I too have been eagerly awaiting a new edition! Cannot wait to check it out!

--Kevin
Heather
Feb 16, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10 ways to make a difference in the world
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Noah Langford
Noah Langford marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Adrianne Poulard
Adrianne Poulard marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Coco
Coco marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Alysson
Alysson marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Heather Drollinger
Heather Drollinger marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
BAMcNeil
BAMcNeil marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
  • The Small-Mart Revolution: How Local Businesses Are Beating the Global Competition
  • Big-Box Swindle: The True Cost of Mega-Retailers and the Fight for America's Independent Businesses
  • Simpler Living, Compassionate Life
  • Faith and Feminism: A Holy Alliance
  • Yoga Body Diet
  • The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perseverance and Hope in Troubled Times
  • The Great Neighborhood Book: A Do-it-Yourself Guide to Placemaking
  • Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals—and Other Forgotten Skills
  • Guerrilla Gardening: A Manualfesto
  • You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom
  • Fix It, Make It, Grow It, Bake It: The D.I.Y. Guide to the Good Life
  • Me to We: Finding Meaning in a Material World
  • It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
  • Making All Things New: An Invitation to the Spiritual Life
  • Green Living
  • The Carbon-Free Home: 36 Remodeling Projects to Help Kick the Fossil-Fuel Habit
  • Fostering Sustainable Behavior: An Introduction to Community-Based Social Marketing