Start by marking “When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs” as Want to Read:
When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs

When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When Pigs Fly!: Training Success with Impossible Dogs
Paperback
Published June 22nd 2007 by Dogwise

To ask other readers questions about When Pigs Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Pigs Fly

Lori
Mar 21, 2008 Lori rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with traditionally difficult to train dogs
While I don't QUITE have a Pigs Fly dog- I do have a dog breed that is not typically seen in obedience or agility- a French Bulldog.
I like this book because it recommends doing shaping (with a clicker) for "pigs fly" dogs FIRST before luring behaviors. I think this is excellent advice- we made leaps and bounds in our training after playing 'the box' game after several weeks of luring behaviors. You are teaching your dog to think- and to look to you for their 'reward'.
I laughed a lot while read...more
Denise Fenzi
very good book for average AKC person who doesn't have a deep understanding of clicker training, but not what I'd call a "sophisticated" book.

I like the upbeat attitude that all dogs can do it. However, I am always a bit offended when a book assumes that all dogs have food drive (she goes so far as to suggest that a dog that lacks usable food drive in training has a medical problem).

As a trainer, my number one, absolute biggest problem is the 10% of dogs that like food just fine, but it doesn't...more
Mel
The pigs are occasionally achieving lift-off.
Slow but sure progress.
Lenny Husen
This book is a gem, the only problem: her training tips did not work for my terrier. Still loved the book, and it is well written, funny, and a comfort for those of us with impossible dogs.
But I am clearly no dog trainer and no more terriers for me, one is enough. For a lifetime.
Lo
Mar 07, 2011 Lo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: dogs
I found this book very informative and reassuring. Killion's style of writing is very down-to-earth and easy to follow, just like all the examples and procedures were. Though I don't have a dog that's generally labelled as impossible to train or very stubborn or independent, I found this book actually helped me to look at our problems a little bit differently and more optimistically.

I'd say some kind of knowledge of dog training might be in order before reading this book, but even after having r...more
Brooke
One of the best dog training books out there. Not all dogs are labs or goldens, and those who have more independent (note: this does not mean less intelligent) dogs are often frustrated when training methods designed for "people pleasing" breeds fail to work for their dogs. This book explains exactly why this happens, what it means (and does not mean) for your dog, and how to train any dog to do anything within his/her physical capabilities. As the owner of a greyhound service dog (greyhounds ar...more
Margie
Worth reading at the time
Heywu
Nov 22, 2009 Heywu rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a Pig's Fly dog
Shelves: dogs-training
When it comes to dogs, there are no "good" or "bad" behaviors. There are only "behaviors" and the dog is born thinking they are equal.

And also this:

Two behaviors cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

If your dog is doing a behavior of which you approve, he cannot be doing a behavior of which you disapprove.

I will be quoting these statements in all my dog/handler training classes. In fact, I wrote them on the board this week. Thank you Jane.
Elaykins
Oh how nice to recognize my own dog in this book, and how encouraging that there's hope out there for these impossible dogs!

The book really reassured me that there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with my dog, she's just different, and if she's properly motivated she'll play along in training and even have fun!
Shauna
This is a great dog training book, especially for those who have dogs that just don't seem motivated to train. It is an amazing supplement to any dog training repertoire, and one that I am sure I will be using quite frequently in my dog training career.
Susan
A good introduction to clicker training and the concept of "unbiddable dogs", but nowhere near as useful or as detailed as Gail Fisher's The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training.
ffluffy
If you have this book or buy this book or are going to buy this book...see page 11...at the top. STILL LOL!!! Go Hunda go!
Una
We had a client at the clinic today whose case reminded me of this book and i decided to re-read it and refresh my memory.
Maya
A great, clear, well written book. A must read for anyone with a difficult dog or interested in training.
Dannie
A must-read for any dog owner! The best "obedience" book out there.
Steen Hillebrecht
Very funny introduction to training dogs with a will on their own.
Katherine
Mar 16, 2009 Katherine marked it as no-for-now
could be engaging later
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Carmina Quidim
Carmina Quidim marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Kgardensnow
Kgardensnow marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014