Start by marking “Jacob of Avondale” as Want to Read:
Jacob of Avondale

Jacob of Avondale

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The king’s servant, Jacob, makes a shocking discovery in a secret room. What he finds could change his life forever. Witness the transformation of a commoner into a conqueror in Jacob of Avondale.
As Jacob reached the top of the staircase with the tray of soiled food still in hand, he heard a strange whispering coming from the room near the far end of the hall. In all of th...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Tate Publishing & Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about Jacob of Avondale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacob of Avondale

Hailey
This is a really good book. It never stops being exciting. A lot of books get really boring in some parts and you want to skip them or give up on the book altogether, but this one doesn't ever make you want to do that. You just want to keep reading!
Valerie
I really liked Jacob of Avondale. It was super easy to get into without feeling like I was hearing my Bishop narrate it in my head. (Sorry, Cale, I don't know what your problem was.) The flow was smooth and the transitions were great. I only got caught stopping and going back twice.

The first time was to re-read a word I had never heard nor read in any book before. I actually found myself thinking, "THAT has GOT to be a word he uses in dentistry all the time!" After looking up the word confluenc...more
Michael Long
I received a free copy of this book. I believe this book would be enjoyable to all age levels, but it is clearly targeted to juveniles and for that, it works beautifully. As an adult, it misses the mark a little bit... the plot is very predictable, the story is very short, and the antagonists are weak and easily moved. But for a young reader, the book is an excellent introduction into this type of story. Jacob and his friends are easily liked, and the pacing is very well done. The story introduc...more
Gini
...Had to give it 5 stars! I was pleasantly surprised that a "dentist by day" could have such talent as "writer by night"! Ideal for ages 8-14. It captured the whole family's attention, though, and made an excellent read-aloud. The chapters were short and perfect for bedtime reading. However, there were many instances we had to continue on for 3-4 chapters before our thirst "for more" could be quenched . Although predictable at some points, the story took many clever and unexpected turns. I beca...more
Esther Somorai
I won this book through Goodreads, first-reads. Thank you so much.

I fully enjoyed this really great adventure story with great characters, both good and bad. It is an exciting, fast pace, meaningful, interesting, suspenseful, well written read for kids and adults alike. I just liked everything about this well presented story. Hope to read more by this author. Just great!
Marti
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads. It was definitely age appropriate. As an adult reading it, the story line wasn't as intricate as some but again it was appropriate for its target audience! I will be passing it along to my niece. I'm trying to get her into the fantasy fiction, and I think this book is a great start!
Lindsey
I really liked this book!! It was mostly adventure with a bit of romance. A fun read that I had a hard time putting down. It is a young adult book probably good for 10ish up. It is clean with no bad language. Could be a fun bedtime book with the whole family!!
Mrs. Udy
I really enjoyed this book. It has many of the elements I love in a book--a strong female character, a little fantasy, some adventure, villains that are fun to dislike, a bit of magic, and a main character with integrity. This is a fun book to read!
Emily
I really enjoyed reading this book! It is a fun, adventurous story. Safe for young readers too. Lending it to my 10 year old niece to read next!
Isis
This was something of a traditional coming of age story, set in a land of kings and kingdoms, servants and maids, the powerful and the powerless. The Kingdom of Avondale had once been a happy and prosperous place, where everyone loved the king and his lovely young wife. They had eight blissful years of peace and joy in Avondale. Then, with the sudden and unexpected death of the king, everything changed.

Now Avondale is ruled by a horrible couple - a king and queen with violent tendencies who are...more
Nicole
I won this book on a raffle my friend put on her blog. The author is a local of my hometown, and this was the perfect easy read for me (even though it took me forever to get through, just because I don't have as much time to spend reading as I'd like).

To be honest, this story was exactly what I expected it to be: a light-hearted fantasy adventure story. It isn't one I would normally select to read for myself, but having read it and now having a copy on my own bookshelf, I think it would be a gre...more
Jennie Dopp
I really enjoyed this book. It's geared towards a younger audience and really hits the mark. My kids would love it. As I approached the end of the book, I thought it was going to leave me hanging because of a planned sequel. However, all the loose ends were tied up rather quickly and neatly. I almost thought it could have gone a few more chapters with more twists and turns during the final battle. Even though some aspects were predictable reading it as an adult, that has to be overlooked because...more
Marian
I loved the beginning of this book - the first half had me spellbound, but as Jacob had to conquer challenges, it seemed they were too easy. - My dentist wrote this book and I was really impressed with his ability, and his creative mind - but it seemed he got tired part way through the book and just wanted to finish it. Had he developed the plot with more complexity, this book could have been a five star book. Jacob's relationship with the Princess was predictable. I did like it. It was a fun re...more
4.5/5 stars. This was a very creative and fun book. I really enjoyed it and the little romance was cute. I think that it is a book best for late elementary and older. I did think, however, that everything was too easy and I thought it was weird that Jacob didn't seem to have any fear and didn't question much. But overall I thought it was really good book.
Wendy
Young-Adult Fantasy is definately not my go-to genre of book to read, but since I know the author I thought I would give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the book and it was a fun story. It will definately be suggested reading for my kids when they get a few years older.
Lisa
P. Craig Packer
Sep 07, 2012 P. Craig Packer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Of course I had to rate it 5 stars. If an author doesn't like his/her own book, that doesn't inspire confidence to future readers now does it?

Check out the website http://jacobofavondale.tateauthor.com/

Thank you!
Sara
I received a copy of this book free as part of the First Reads program. It read very much like a long fairy tale - an excellent premise for a story, but only moderately well written.
Karen
This was an enjoyable and exciting book. It is a book suitable for all ages. While I was reading I kept thinking that it would make a great movie.
Ann
I enjoyed this coming of age story with adventure, a little magic, and a touch of romance. Easy read.
Crista
Crista marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Brooke Sapper
Brooke Sapper marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Breanna Morgan
Breanna Morgan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Princhesata
Princhesata marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Francie Grice
Francie Grice marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
  • Thundersword (Guardians Inc., #2)
  • The Door in the Sky
  • The Assembly Room
  • Sword of Marathon
  • Glimmers
  • Downside Girls
  • Beastly Tales...or something of that nature
  • The Little Universe
  • The Emerald Tablet (Legends of Amun Ra, #1)
  • Return of the Crown
  • Bump In The Night
  • An Airship Named Desire
  • dayclean
  • The Red Death (Caesar's Sword, #1)
  • Zet and the Egyptian Amulet Mystery (Zet Mystery #2)
  • Army of Sorrow (Donegal Sidhe, #1)
  • Earth
  • Pretty Unlikely: Bloody Extended Edition
P. Craig Packer is a practicing dentist in Farmington, Utah, but he prefers fly-fishing and playing basketball to any actual work. He and his wife, Charlotte, have three wonderful children who keep them busy at all times. Craig is pleased that his love of reading has been passed down to each of the children. His hobbies have provided him with years of practice in the telling of fictitious stories....more
More about P. Craig Packer...