Wine for Dummies

Wine for Dummies

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Because you don't know a Chardonnay from a Cabernet Sauvignon, do you panic when the waiter hands you a wine list? Do you know what to do when the waiter hands you the cork? Are you embarrassed when you can't remember if white wine goes with fish or chicken or both?
Published September 16th 1998 by For Dummies (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Wine for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wine for Dummies

Wira Rohandi
"I only drink Champagne when I'm happy, and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty." - Madame Lily Bollinger
Rachel
Wine for Dummies is a great book for both the experienced and novice wine drinker. The Introduction goes through how the book is organized and which parts of the book should be read, depending on what the reader is interested in. Pretty much every aspect of wine is covered -grape varieties, how wine is made and regulated in various countries, how to read a wine label or restaurant wine list, and much more. The really technical information is labeled as such and can easily be skipped.

I liked that...more
Chris Comis
I haven't read many of these "Dummies" books over the years, but this was a nice little quick guide to becoming a wine snob. Now I can use the phrase "ebulliently fruity" to describe the next Riesling I try. Everyone will be so impressed!

Steven Peterson
The "For Dummies" series has been an intriguing enterprise. The use of the term "Dummies" could be considered offputting--yet the series has obviously done well, as more and more volumes are developed. I have found many of the books useful to me. And this is another in that group.

I know enough about wine to get by. This volume, though, adds a context to my knowledge of wine that I appreciate. The purpose is presented at the outset (Page 1): "We want you and everyone else to enjoy wine. . .--rega...more
Kimberly
This is a brief introduction to wine for people who normally drink beer, from what glass to use to how to describe flavors this book will help you fake knowledge about wine. Made for the American market for American wine drinkers with only a nod to the most famous European wines, the focus is on Californian wines and Oregon (Really, Oregon? I had no idea they made wine in Oregon). This book will appeal to anyone looking to appear knowledgeable about wine.

We listened to the book while driving fro...more
Gregor Erbach
Wein für Dummies eignet sich sehr gut als erster Einstieg in das Thema Wein. Die wichtigsten Begriffe werden erläutert, und es gibt viele praktische Tips zum Thema Wein auswählen, kaufen, probieren, und lagern, sowie Hintergrundinformationen zu Rebsorten und Weinherstellung. Die wichtigsten Weinbaugebiete der Welt werden vorgestellt, teilweise mit vielen Details zu einzelnen Rebsorten und Produzenten. Zum Teil wirkt das Buch etwas unausgewogen; Frankreich und Kalifornien werden ausführlich präse...more
Krista
The title of this book might scare you off and that would be a shame. Wine for Dummies is a very informative book, full of great knowledge for newbies and reference information that any wine lover might need to call on. I read the newest edition, which had been updated with extremely current details - always important with this kind of book. I used it as a study guide during my wine course and felt it was a great tool for that. I'm sure I'll be picking this up again when I need a refresher on a...more
Tina Hayes
'Wine for Dummies' is a great book for anyone who drinks the fruit of the vine. Experts and newbies alike will learn from this fun, informative book by Ed McCarthy and Mary Ewing-Mulligan. Varietals are explained, the top wines of each region around the globe are pointed out, there is a pronounciation guide so we can figure out how to pronounce Pouilly-Fuisse, along with tips on which corkscrews work best. Whether you're looking to find the correct temperature for serving Shiraz or you want to k...more
Fredrick Danysh
While the authors have wine backgrounds and give some nice backgrounds, the give off the aura of wine snobs. Most of the wines discussed are from Europe, California, or New York giving the impression that these are the two states are the only quality wine producers. There are over a hundred wineries in Texas alone which produce some excellent vintages. Also Duplin County winery in North Carolina and Nissey Winery iin Pennsylvania produce wines better than most of California or New York.
Considering how vast the world of wine is, this book is a great place to start. There is loads of practical information presented in an approachable format along with plenty of good advice. I feel way more educated on the topic of wine and found the book full of fascinating content. I can now more confidently select and serve wine and have more fun doing it. In the word's of Major Payne, "Who's the dummy now?"
Laurie
Good overview of the world of wine. I especially like the appendix for definitions and pronunciation of non-English wine words. The authors also suggest notable producers in the major wine categories. This is helpful in the exploration stage and I have been using their suggestions to good effect.
Emily
This is among the books used in the Cornell University Hotel School's Wine Tasting Class - my brother tool the class and I asked him to get me the books.

I'm less than half way through the book, but it's very clearly written and it explains a lot of the winesnob jargon.
Linda
As A relative wine novice I found this a good introduction to the world of wine. I was familiar with with the styles of wine out of California but didn't know much about European wine. I now feel like I have a basis for begging to explore wine from other regions.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
An easy to understand and listen to audio book. It will give newbies and experts alike the basics around distinguishing between, choosing, drinking, and then describing all sorts of different wines.
Sean
Feb 18, 2008 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wine beginner
A great book for a basic foundation in your wine study.

I always recommend this book to somebody who has just started working at my restaurant, and doesn't know anything about wine.
Karen
Just the basics and definitely a good book for someone just learning to appreciate wine. Written in a way that you can understand and keeps you interested.
Andrew Loewer
It's the textbook for Cornell's wine class and doesn't disappoint, giving you more than enough reference on terroir and viticulture than you'll ever need.
Dan
Good intro to wine book that I used as a textbook for my wine tasting class in college. Great foundation, easy to read, and fun at the same time.
Alaina
Informative, but not that interesting. Very technical. Like Great Wine Made Simple much better. Held interest better and used great illustrations.
Simon Yoong
Read this while waiting for my wife. A good book no more no less than advertised. Great that they included aussie wines.
JoAnn Althaus
For someone who loves wine, this is a great book to learn a little more about what you're drinking!!
Cassandra
The title says it all: Wine For Dummies! Very accessible, fun to read!
Jane
I found this helpful. I have nothing bad to say about it - just an intro.
Haley
My very first "...for Dummies" book, and have to say, quite informative!
Jesse D.
Good for the basic knowledge of wine. Definitely a good starter book.
Kristen
Surprisingly thorough. Truly a "must read" for the novice connoisseur.
Catrina Edgar
This has been a really great resource for us, and a very easy read.
Putu
Oct 02, 2008 Putu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fajar
Shelves: reference-book
Yup, for those who likes Wineries and want to know more about them.
Chris Schaefer
Very clear and concise on how to navigate the world of the grape.
Laurie Stoll
This little guide does have some useful information.
  • Windows on the World Complete Wine Course: 2007 Edition
  • Don't Try This At Home: Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs
  • Freemasons For Dummies
  • Cheese Primer
  • English Grammar for Dummies
  • U.S. History For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback))
French Wine for Dummies Red Wine for Dummies Italian Wine for Dummies. California Wine for Dummies White Wine for Dummies