Start by marking “Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments & Other Topical Therapies” as Want to Read:

Keep your family healthy and chemical free by making your own natural remedies. Stephanie Tourles offers 150 original recipes for herbal balms, oils, salves, liniments, and other topical ointments to treat a wide range of conditions. This comprehensive guide is filled with safe and effective cures for scores of common ailments, including headaches, backaches, arthritis, in ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Hands-On Healing Remedies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hands-On Healing Remedies

Jim
Nov 13, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, my maternal grandmother lived with us. Born in the 1870s, she sometimes made up some potions or salves for me and my sisters when we had ailments. She got some of the ingredients from a local pharmacy that stocked shelves full of liquids and powders, and she picked some flowers and herbs from a nearby field. Those days are long gone now, and most medicines are ready-made over-the-counter or prescription drugs.

Holistic healer Stephanie Tourles has brought back those memories wit
Vicky
Sep 09, 2012 Vicky rated it really liked it
The beginning of the book reminded me so much of when I was a kid walking the mountains with my dad and he'd be picking plants and telling me what they were good for. Or he'd be talking about my grandmother and what she used to do for them on the farm when they were younger. Stephanie evoked some good memories with her introduction to this book.

Healing with plants has been around for thousands of years. The use of natural ingredients over chemical ones is cheaper and, in many cases, better for
Trisha
Sep 28, 2013 Trisha rated it liked it
Rose
I found Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes ... to be full of such valuable information as well as the recipes for many different maladies that I purchased a copy for my personal library and returned the borrowed book. Although the illustrations are not vibrant like some other herbal recipe books, perhaps this allowed the cost to be less than other author's work. Do not pass this one buy if you like creating your own salves and liniments.
Jo Barton
Dec 10, 2012 Jo Barton rated it it was amazing
This nicely illustrated book with 150 recipes for old fashioned remedies is a pleasure to read and is one of those books that will sit happily on your book shelf until you need to look for inspiration for a healing remedy. Most of the ingredients used are commonly found and nothing requires the reader to have a degree in biochemistry to understand. I loved the idea of Sweet Annie Serenity Oil - how I need some of that in the run up to Christmas, and I can almost smell the aroma of Simple Lavende ...more
Kathy
Hands On Healing Remedies - Stephanie L. Tourles

If you are the type of person who is into making your own herbal medicines then this is the book for you. The author introduces her book with her background as an herbalist and how she was introduced to it via her grandfather and the many stories he had told of his own mother who have made her own herbal medicines since they have lived quite a distance from the nearest doctor.

The book is easy to read for it is divided into sections where the autho
Stef
Sep 24, 2015 Stef rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-reread
I intend to reread this once I have more of the recommended supplies. Some interesting ideas in here that I'd like to try, and I enjoy this author as well as the idea of being able to improve my wellbeing in preventative ways such as the ones she presented.
AnandaTashie
Jan 08, 2014 AnandaTashie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic, 2014
Ignoring the random advice snips (some of which I agreed with, some not), the actual 150 herbal recipes are wonderful! They include ones like joint-ease balm, winter defense body oil, aloe disinfecting wound wash, and three flowers anti-itch spray.
Cheryl Espinosa
Apr 20, 2014 Cheryl Espinosa rated it really liked it
Great book, good reference if you looking for holistic medicine recipes.
Jul 03, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Helpful but the ingredients in the recipes are too specific for what I normally buy that I am not where I can invest in trying these recipes right now.
BookBec
May 26, 2015 BookBec rated it liked it
A lot of appealing and interesting recipes based on essential oils (often in very strong concentrations) ... and then I remembered that many essential oils give me a headache.
LeAndra
Mar 17, 2013 LeAndra rated it it was ok
An interesting reference text.
Mindy
Review Assignment. Will only appeal to those who wish to avoid over-the-counter medications and are willing to go to the effort to make their own herbal alternatives.
Elizabeth
Really enjoyed this book with loads of information and clear, concise recipes for remedies for your whole family. I am adding this book to my home collection.
Roseanne
Jan 11, 2015 Roseanne marked it as to-read
available at Midpointe
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
May 26, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Yvette
Yvette rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
sharon guleff
sharon guleff rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
BouBou
BouBou rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Ndj
Ndj rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Cara
Cara rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Pat Silber
Pat Silber rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Kelley
Kelley rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
  • A Pagan Ritual Prayer Book
  • The Elements Encyclopedia of the Celts
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide
  • Poetry as Survival
  • Earthquake Storms: The Fascinating History and Volatile Future of the San Andreas Fault
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
  • Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • Now Write!: Fiction Writing Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • I Can't Be Good All the Time
  • Fairy & Folk Tales of Ireland
  • The Unofficial Game of Thrones Cookbook: From Direwolf Ale to Auroch Stew - More Than 150 Recipes from Westeros and Beyond (Unofficial Cookbook)
  • Ostara: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for the Spring Equinox
  • The Book of Lilith
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality