Start by marking “The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3)

The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga #3)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  16,818 ratings  ·  210 reviews
As galactic armadas clash in quest of the ancient fleet of the Progenitors, a brutal alien race seizes the dying planet of Garth. The various uplifted inhabitants of Garth must battle their overlords or face ultimate extinction. At stake is the existence of Terran society and Earth, and the fate of the entire Five Galaxies.
Mass Market Paperback, 638 pages
Published June 1st 1987 by Spectra (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Uplift War, please sign up.

David I read Startide Rising before I read Sundiver and the Uplift War. Sundiver was good but Startide Rising and the Uplift War were better. I have enjoyed…moreI read Startide Rising before I read Sundiver and the Uplift War. Sundiver was good but Startide Rising and the Uplift War were better. I have enjoyed the series completely. I found it didn't matter that I read the out-of-sequence, just added some of historical background to the Uplift War. (less)

Dirk Grobbelaar
Let’s get one thing straight. The Uplift War is not military science fiction. There is a war, yes, and there are some appropriately war-like moments, but the emphasis is, once again, on the ‘Uplift’ and not on the ‘War’. Arguably, one the greatest strengths of The Uplift War and its predecessors, is the alien element. Brin certainly went the whole hog when he was designing and imagining his Galactics. This is where these books shine. Each alien race has its own culture and corresponding cultural ...more
Clouds

Christmas 2010: I realised that I had got stuck in a rut. I was re-reading old favourites again and again, waiting for a few trusted authors to release new works. Something had to be done.

On the spur of the moment I set myself a challenge, to read every book to have won the Locus Sci-Fi award. That’s 35 books, 6 of which I’d previously read, leaving 29 titles by 14 authors who were new to me.

While working through this reading list I got married, went on my honeymoon, switched career and became
Stephen
4.0 stars. The continuation of the Uplift Saga began in the superb Startide Rising. Amazing world-building (rather universe building), a superb plot and peopled by fascinating characters and races. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Winner: Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Winner: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Nominee: Nebula Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Nominee: Prometheus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Nicholas Whyte

One of Brin's novels of the future universe where humanity has become part of a galactic culture of species Uplifting each other from pre-sapience to civilisation, homo sapiens being unique in that we achieved that status without external intervention.

The book is fun in a lot of ways - smart humans and chimps, and their allies, manage to overcome the prejudices and wishful thinking of the more nasty aliens. The most sympathetic male characters get to hav
Tatiana
These Uplift novels are getting better. This time I cared a lot more about the characters, and the writing seemed much smoother and less annoying. The author managed to go more than two or three pages sometimes between changes of viewpoint character, and the action was more streamlined and less choppy.

I loved the character of the ambassador's daughter Athaclena, and how she ended up leading the resistance forces. I liked her species, I liked their intuitive psi sense, the artistic glyphs they br
Ben Babcock
David Brin's Uplift Trilogy has not been the easiest series for me to read. I enjoyed Sundiver as a mystery set within a much larger universe. Brin left me hungry for more, but Startide Rising left me bitter and disappointed. What had started with so much potential seemed encumbered by flawed storylines and a myriad of unwanted characters. Hence, I was doubtful of The Uplift War's ability to mollify me.

While certainly superior to Startide Rising, The Uplift War lacks the central protagonist
Megan Baxter
Galactic civilization is balanced on a knife's edge. Power is gained by becoming patrons, gaining client races, uplifting them to sentience and starfaring, and having them as more or less indentured servants over hundreds of thousands of years. But then humans came on the scenes, "wolflings," who apparently bootstrapped themselves up into sentience, a feat thought to be impossible.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You
Anna
I’ve enjoyed all six of David Brin’s uplift novels but, in some ways, I wish I had read The Uplift War first instead of last. Sundiver, the first novel, was bit of a snooze for me and seemed disconnected from the rest of the series in time and space. I can disregard that one. The Uplift War is the second novel, and this is where the political landscape of the Five Galaxies is laid out. All of sentient life follows the protocol of Uplift established by the Progenitors, the semi-mythological origi ...more
Tom
Maybe 4.25 stars? Not exactly as good as Startide Rising, but close. There was a lot to love about this book but also a little to be annoyed about.

Plot was fun, although sloooow at times. Fiben's adventures were the best part, for me. Fiben was an absolutely fantastic character (I think Brin has said that he's his favourite character from all his books). The chims overall were great, although I think I still prefer the fins from Startide Rising. The exploration of neo-chimpanzee culture was fasc
Eric
The third book in the Uplift trilogy but as with the other books you can just read each book as a stand-alone. Where the second book focuses on human/neo-dolphin interaction, this one is about humans and neo-chimpanzees, neo-chimpanzees being the other earth species humans 'uplifted'.

I like Brin's style, it's easy reading and I enjoyed it quite a bit more than a lot of the serious sci-fi that is out there. I'm wondering if I should focus more on sci-fi written 20+ years ago.

The Uplift trilogy
Dark-Draco
The third book in the series takes place around the same time as the previous one. The Gubru decide that the best way to make the dolphins of 'The Streaker' give up their secrets, is to take one of the Earth colonies hostage. They attack the planet, Garth, making sure that the humans are interred on islands and leaving only the chimpanzee clients free to carry on the work of the planet. Only they have misunderstood the bond between the two species. Soon, a guerilla force of chims, one lone huma ...more
Chloe
I have to admit. I'm a little relieved to be done with this series. Wherever I would walk while reading either this book or its predecessor, Startide Rising, people would inevitably look at the cover, glance away quickly, then slowly look back, eyes questioning. "Is that...?" "Yes," I would answer, "those are chimpanzees. Yes, they're in space. No, I am not reading this on a dare." At the end of the day, regardless of how many awards this series has won (oodles), or how detailed and complex the ...more
Stephanie
This is the final volume in the first Uplift War trilogy and it is the best of the three in my opinion. This book on the surface deals with one of the older galactic races - the Gubru - and their attempt to find the elusive pre-sentient Garthlings so they can sponsor them and one up Earth who they feel has not earned its patron status.

But it is so much more than that because Brin has woven the best and worst parts of humanity and by association aliens into the story. There are wheels within whee
Christy
Although the ideas about environmentalism and uplifted species are powerful and the universe that Brin creates is interesting, this book, like the previous two in the series, fails to deliver on its promise. Brin repeatedly raises huge questions about the universe, evolution, sentience, and ethics, and he repeatedly defers them in favor of a more limited plot structure (in the first book, he tells a mystery story; in the second book, he tells an adventure story; and in this book, he tells a stor ...more
Josh
I had very high expectations for this book and was dissapointed that for the most part, they were not met. I loved Startide Rising. The pacing was fast, the action was plenty and the scope was incredible. The idea that a lone ship crewed mostly by dolphins had accidently happened upon a derelict fleet consinsting of thousands of moon-sized vessels was fascinating. That was the main reason I read on through Startide and then to Uplift War, to find out what exactly it was that they found.

Unfortun
Bart Everson
I would never recommend The Uplift War to my friends who are skeptical about science fiction. It has too many conventions peculiar to the genre. There are aliens of many races, psychic powers, galactic empires, robots, ray guns and spaceships that travel faster than light. It's all a bit much in a single book if you've never read science fiction before.

Furthermore, this is not an easy read. The pages are peppered with made-up alien words like lurrunanu and tu'fluk. There's also a sprinkling of o
Jamie Rich
By far the best of the trilogy! In this (not really) final novel, David Brin pulls no punches and takes us for an epic journey. Alas, no dolphins this time, but the tales has a wonderful mixture of characters. Some are Human, some are not. Chimpanzees (Chims)figure prominently, as do Gorillas, and also (finally) some aliens that really are! David Brin explores what it means to be your best, no matter what the species, when things are at the worst.
He also (for the first time in this series) brin
Leo Knight
David Brin has created an interesting universe for his "Uplift" novels. Billions of years ago, a spacefaring race known as the Progenitors helped lift other, more primitive species to sentience, space travel, and partcipation in galactic civilization. These races, in turn, sponsored other promising species on their upward paths, and so the cycle continued, proteges indentured to their patrons for ten thousand years, becoming sponsors in turn. But then an upstart,"wolfling" race appeared, which a ...more
Eric
Jun 14, 2014 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people going through the Uplift Universe.
Shelves: sci-fi
Whenever someone can keep my attention throughout 635 pages of potentially cheesy sci-fi, they get at least 4 stars. Brin is excellent at maintaining plausibility in his plots. The good guys aren't irresistible or infallible. The bad guys aren't incompetent foils. Anyway, good book. Lots of words.
Elar
Third book (twice as long as first) finishes trilogy with truly cunning adventure.

Small human colony is attacked by over-civilized birds to take control of the world and also discredit humans. Same time small faction of humans and chimps dwell in project to uplift gorillas, which is forbidden by uplifting ministry in 5 galaxies. Can back-world planet survive and resist aggressors as most of humans are taken as hostage and chimps need be leaders?
David Haws
The Gubru aren’t much as a galactic scourge; I can’t get past their presentation as flummoxed pigeons. But the idea of hostage gas is intriguing, as a tweak on the killing/letting die dichotomy. It goes like this: (view spoiler) ...more
Lamar Latrell
I really liked this one. The first was a tepid entry; it introduced novel concepts but told rather than showed—it was an action/adventure novel. The second was almost bad: the first half could have been condensed to a few chapters, and the totality of the book could have been a couple of chapters in this one—especially since the time scale from the second to the the third book was ostensibly weeks, while centuries passed between the first and second books.

This novel, on the other hand, really ma
Joe
This entire series is horrible. I read it years ago hoping it would get better. I like the alien designs but that is about it. Horrible plot in this one. If you doubt me, I just have to say three words: chimpanzee lap dance. I did NOT need to picture that, David Brin. Bleh.
Jonathan Bitgood
After the first time an uplifted chimp swore by the ancient and most sacred name of Jane Goodall... I was hooked. Fantastic book from start to finish. (Gotta have a lil' patience here and there though)
Ron
Not up to the quality of the first two Uplift novels. Brin telegraphed his punches so badly that the reader knew how it was going to turn out before the book was halfway done.
Chris
Guerilla warfare
Heh
Heh heh
Get it?
This book is pretty damn good, to summarize, due to the events of the previous novel Startide Rising (Which is reccomended, but not required reading for this one, mind you) various Alien races have declared war on mankind, and Humans inhabiting the planet Garth fall prey to the predations of the nasty Gburu race.

Central to the setting is the idea of ''uplift'', or a sentient race elevating animals to sapience using a long, slow process of selective breeding and g
Jason
I read this after Startide Rising. I like this one better because, and I'll be honest, I hate dolphins. Tuna is delicious and they've ruined it for all of us. They are always laughing at us. What's so funny? Laughing.

Anyway, I think the only thing that keeps me from five starring this book is that it doesn't feel dark enough. Everything feels like it will turn out ok all the way through the book, and the ending is telegraphed a little too much. I think the lightness kept me from identifying with
Peter Hill
Definitely the weakest title of the original Uplift trilogy, which is a great shame as it's also the longest of the three and can be a bit of a chore to get through at times.

It reads easily enough and like its predecessors it explores some truly original ideas as far as Galactic society goes, but the vast majority of the characters simply didn't feel very compelling. A few times I found myself feeling bored with the antics of the human and chimp resistance.

All of the most interesting characters
Mike
I didn't know what to expect when I started this. I had only read one of Brin's books in the past so really had no track record with him.

I found the book started a little slow and I was worried that at 638 pages it was going to be a bit of a
struggle but it soon picked up and before long was going at a good clip. Then for a very short period it seemed to stagnate. I think this was about half way through when the chims were attacking the Gubru. For a brief while it just seemed like more of the sa
Nathan
A quite excellent book. The writer has noticeably improved since Startide Rising, the characters here are more well-written and realistic, painting many shades between "good and bad guys". The plot also feels more coherent, probably due to the seemingly smaller POV cast and fewer separate strands of events.

I love how the author depits a mostly post-sexist (and post-racist) society in the series, unfortunately the books are still completely cis- and heteronormative.
  • Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3)
  • The Wanderer
  • They'd Rather Be Right
  • A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4)
  • The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #1)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Moving Mars (Queen of Angels, #3)
  • Dreamsnake
  • The Many-Coloured Land (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #1)
  • Rainbows End
  • This Immortal
  • Forever Peace (The Forever War, #2)
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • The Integral Trees
  • Blue Mars (Mars Trilogy, #3)
  • Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
  • The Mule: From Foundation And Empire
  • Hominids (Neanderthal Parallax, #1)
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends
More about David Brin...

The Uplift Saga (7 books)
  • Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1)
  • Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2)
  • Tomorrow Happens
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
  • Infinity's Shore (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #2)
  • Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)
Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) The Postman Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3) Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)

“Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.” 28 likes
“But there is one more reason to protect other species. One seldom if ever mentioned. Perhaps we are the first to talk and think and build and aspire, but we may not be the last. Others may follow us in this adventure. Some day we may be judged by just how well we served, when alone we were Earth’s caretakers.” 2 likes