Start by marking “Saige (Saige, #1)” as Want to Read:
Saige (Saige, #1)

Saige (American Girl of the Year)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  577 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Upset that her New Mexico school can only afford music and art teachers in alternate years, fourth-grader Saige works with her grandmother, Mimi, to plan a fundraiser but when Mimi has an accident, Saige relies on new friend Gabi to help.
Published December 27th 2012 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published December 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Saige, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saige

Elizabeth Long
It was a really good book. Saige is about a 4th grader who lives in New Mexico. Her grandmother mimi copeland is a famous artist Saige is an artist to. At school they cancel art class and Saige is really sad about it. Her and her friends try to get it back.
Feb 01, 2013 Xyra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls everywhere
Recommended to Xyra by: American Girl
The story of the newest American Girl of the year is filled with great lessons and challenges.

I got teary eyed a few times in this one for good and sad reasons.

The situation with Tessa is a familiar one to me...sometimes the friendship ends up stronger and sometimes the relationship dissolves away.

This author, Jessie Haas, was able to pull emotions from me with regards to situations I've been through. The feeling of being left out is awful; overwhelmed with "duties" is frightening; etc.

Saige is
Jan 01, 2013 Marian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, ag
Saige Holcomb
I think “Saige” is an interesting book. It can teach us to work hard for something that we want even if plans change a little. I admire how Saige worked very hard at the fund raiser to save the art program at school. I also like how she is looking on the bright side even if something goes wrong.

“Saige” is about a girl named Saige who is now moving in to fourth grade. This year there was a few disappointments. There was no art and her best friend Tessa is closer to a new friend that she met at mu
Jessica Mitchell
Jan 09, 2013 Jessica Mitchell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Jessica by: Kyrah (friend)
Jessica Mitchell, 11
4 stars

I'm literally blowing away with the wind right now because my friend punched me really hard and all my insides popped out! Don't worry! I asked her to. I was just testing to see if i was just dreaming. This book was amazing!
Literally all american girl books leave me a crying heap on the floor--how come i've never done something truly inspirational like those guys!
I don't have time to type up a review right now...but...THIS BOOK WAS GREAT!
This was a great American Girl story. I love reading about children who have talents and connections with grandparents! A good read with your girl!
Amanda Caldwell
I read this book to my little sister (she's 6, I'm 26) as part of our sisterly story time. She really enjoyed this book and as an adult, I can say I enjoyed it as well. When I was a little girl, I absolutely adored anything and everything American Girl. This is the first American Girl book I've read to my little sister and the first chapter book (other than those 'I Can Read' ones that she reads herself) that we've read together. She looked forward to reading this and oftentimes, other than the ...more
I loved this book so much Saige is a fourth grader who LOVES art she can't live without it. Them her new year at school there was no art class then her best friend found a new friend the her grandma Mimi falls and breakdown her body and she can't paint can things get any worse. Saige is trying to raise money for the art program.
This is difficult for me to review. I want to give it 3 stars, but then I also have to consider that it is a book written for children, so I gave it four.
My daughter insisted on buying this book when she found out that this year's American Girl doll was from New Mexico. I'm always a sucker for buying books, so it was easy for her to convince me. She read it in only a few days, and then wanted me to read it so that we could talk about it.
She is now working on Saige Paints the Sky, which I will
Cheryl Gatling
Saige loves horses, and she loves to draw and paint. She loves spending time with her grandmother Mimi, and her best friend Tessa. But then everything in her life changes. Her school can't afford art classes. Her grandmother falls and breaks her leg, and has to go to a rehab where she is depressed. And Tessa is devoting so much time to music that she and Saige are drifting apart. I admit that I got a little choked up at some of these parts, especially with the grandmother. Naturally, Saige is go ...more
Anjali Williams
I prefer the historical American girl fiction to this contemporary story, but it was still enjoyable with teachable moments about friendship, responsibility, and the value of arts in education. 4 stars for my daughter; 3 stars for me.
This is the first American Girl book I've read with my daughter. I hesitated to jump on the band-wagon but at my daughter's insistence we picked up a book. I love how there is a whole-some story with light accents of real-day common struggles between girls and their friendships and families. These struggles made great conversation starters for us and we are excited to read another American Girl book!
I don't like that Saige's Mimi triped over her cat and dog. I like that a girl named Gabi taught one of Mimi's horses how to say yes, no, and duh. And Saige walked with the horse in a parade.
Tiffany Elgan
Maybe 3 1/2 stars. My girls loved the story, but I thought it was just okay. They are looking forward to more American Girl books, so I suppose in the end that makes for a good book!

Pretty good. Not anywhere near as bad as most of the newer American Girl books have been, but not anywhere near as good as the old ones.
This book was really interesting. And I like saige because she reminds me of myself a little.
Wish she was still girl of the year!
True to American Girl books, Saige navigates the world of a fourth-grade girl while trying to make a difference in her community.
Great story about families, horses and how to work through your problems.
Chapters, reading this book w/a client.
Mike Ogilvie
Saige is a companion book to Ainsley's American Girl doll by the same name. Reading it to her at bedtimes.

I wasn't expecting much, but I was impressed with the first chapter since it brought up the 10,000 hours rule from Gladwell's book Outliers.
Ann Torrey
Great book met this author about a year ago, she signed the book.
Shea B
I love how Sage wants to save the art program because I love art!
This book is amazing!
Needs more pictures. :)
Saige Copeland is having a hard time getting used to all the changes. Tessa has made a new best friend which means no room for her. Mimi has taken a fall and can't ride horses or paint. Her school isn't having an art program, art is Saige's life. Everything was different for her.

Since there wasn't going to be an program, she wanted to raise money for an after school program. Does she raise enough money? Do Tessa and her become good friends again? Read the book to find out the answers to these
How do you read????
I enjoyed reading Saige, however, I felt emotionally disconnected. I am not sure if it was me or that I felt like the story was being told to me instead of shown. It was great that Saige was able to bring everyone together to support the school arts program in an entertaining creative way.

The inspirational and heart-warming real story about Lizzy and Toby at the end of the book was the feeling I was expecting from Saige’s story.
Kristine Pratt
Saige is a girl who loves art and doesn't care so much for all the changes going on around her. But when tragedy strikes, Saige rises to the occasion - both in finding solutions to her own problems, and then in helping carry off the fair to raise money for the arts programs at her school. I liked this book, Saige was a fun girl that I enjoyed getting to know.
Read the first chapter when we borrowed Saige from the library. Text was too dense and removed from Natalie's experience (and her perception of who Saige was). Would work much better for a child to choose Saige based on her story. Also, from the bit we did read, her story lacked the depth of the historical dolls.
Nice American Girl book about making friends and maintaining friendships. Somewhat formulaic but a good story for 3rd grade girls, especially those living in the southwest or other areas where horses, ballooning, and art live side by side. Not historical fiction; Saige lives in present day Albuquerque.
  • Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1)
  • McKenna, Ready to Fly!
  • Aloha Kanani (American Girl of the Year 2011, #1)
  • Lanie (American Girl of the Year 2010, #1)
  • Designs By Isabelle (Isabelle, #2)
  • Thanks to Nicki
  • Meet Marie-Grace (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #1)
  • Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly)
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)
Jessie Haas has written over 35 books for children and adults, many about horses--a lifelong passion. She currently owns a Morgan mare, Robin, who is being clicker-trained to be a trail and pasture-dressage horse. She lives in a small, off-grid house in the woods with husband Michael J. Daley, two cats and a dog. When not writing or riding or reading she likes to knit, cook, and write, or ride, or ...more
More about Jessie Haas...

American Girl of the Year (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Lindsey
  • Kailey
  • Marisol (American Girl Today)
  • Jess (American Girl Today)
  • Nicki
  • Thanks to Nicki
  • Mia
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Chrissa (American Girl Today)
  • Chrissa Stands Strong
Saige Paints the Sky (Saige, #2) Chase Unbroken Bramble and Maggie: Horse Meets Girl Runaway Radish