Start by marking “The 13th Day of Christmas” as Want to Read:
The 13th Day of Christmas

The 13th Day of Christmas

Marva Fergusen has a very personal Christmas tradition that happens every December 26th. As an aging widow, the tradition means more to her now than it ever has.
Her newest neighbor, nine-year-old Charlee Alexander, loves Christmas too. But her family has fallen on hard times and things get worse when Charlee becomes critically ill.
Then, on December 12th, Charlee makes a wo
Published November 14th 2012 by Shadow Mountain (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The 13th Day of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 13th Day of Christmas

Cheryl, The Book Contessa
Dec 16, 2012 Cheryl, The Book Contessa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
I rated this book a solid 3 stars. It was a sweet story, a fast read. It is of the Christian fiction genre, which I didn't know going into it; but somewhat expected because it is a Christmas themed book. A very sweet spirited girl affected by hard times for her family & medical issues. She meets an unexpected friend in the trailer park where they need to move. Some of it is corny,yet still very sweet. The book, for me, had 4 stars right up to the ending, when the author seemed to amp up the ...more
Melanie
Nov 17, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Life is moving along at a nice clip until Charlee's Dad Thomas, loses his construction business and then home in bankruptcy. Most is sold off in a yard sale and they move to where Thomas can find work. the home they can afford is in an old trailer park called 27 homes, far from their old home.

Big brother Zach struggles with the move. Mom Emily is working to make ends meet. Dad has multiple jobs as they come available. Charlee is left alone to walk the neighborhood where unfortunately people are
Arlena

Author: Jason Wright
Published by: Shadow Mountain
Age Recommended: All Ages
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5
Review:

"The 13th Day of Christmas" by Jason Wrightwas a wonderful Christmas book that I throughly enjoyed and well written. It was a quick read for me in that once I got started I didn't put it down until the very end. It was a interesting story of how this story of the 13th day of Christmas came about along with this authors development of characters were simply well th
Tonya
Sep 17, 2012 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
WOW! Knock my socks off. I stayed up late to finish this book. I could NOT put it down. My first Jason Wright book but it will be the start of a new addiction! You will instantly fall in love with both of the main characters, young Charlee and Ms Marva. I love all the apron talk and the personalities are larger than life.

What is a fun book and should be, also has a HUGE meaning and is much more! We all love Christmas (well most of us!) but on December 26th, do we go back to normal? Jason's point
Kathy
Nov 17, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
The 13th Day of Christmas was my "Christmas Read" for this year. I read and enjoyed Wright's book The Christmas Jars a couple years ago and decided to give this one a try.

From the reviews I had read I was expecting to need a box of Kleenex while reading this book but found myself dry eyed throughout. That doesn't mean it was a touching story because it was. Just for me personally I found it more inspiring than sad.

Anyone who has listened to the song The 12 Days of Christmas may have had thought
Ashley
Nov 15, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok
Maybe more of a 2.5. I don't really feel like I wasted a few hours of my life reading the book, but I didn't particularly enjoy it, either. Ambivalent might be the word to describe how I feel about it. I do like the 13th day concept, though. I was quite annoyed by little technical things that could have been easily fixed. I found it distracting that the author seemed to jump in methods of telling the story. What was with the one journal entry? Name spellings were not consistent. And why was the ...more
Diane  Holm
Sep 28, 2012 Diane Holm rated it really liked it
The 13th Day of Christmas by Jason F. Wright

Imagination mixed with mystery…

Christmas is a joyous holiday that brings happiness to everyone… but not always. Sometimes we become so wrapped up in our own small worlds that we forget the reason for the season. The 13th day of Christmas is about giving, quite literally, even when it hurts. Two families become acquainted when a devastating loss sets one family so far back they can’t see daylight and it just keeps snowballing. Then a kindly eighty-one y
Amanda
Sep 24, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Truly beautiful and touching to the heart. I needed tissues. This touched me in a way that I see things a little different. I think this year I am going to start using the 13 days of Christmas...well after I talk to the elves of course. If I could see the look on someone's face as I felt in this book, it would make everything just so grand. This is definitely a keeper. I would recommend it to all of the people I know. This story just a way that grabs your attention and captures every emotion ima ...more
Linda
Nov 11, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Marva, an 80 year old apron collector befriends Charlee, a little girl sorely in need of a friend. Charlee's family has hit hard times and moved into a low income trailer park near Marva. Marva has lost both her husband and son but still celebrates Christmas with gusto. When Charlee becomes deathly ill her family and Marva work to keep her spirits and theirs up, especially since Christmas is just around the corner. You will love both Marva and Charlee, they have spunk and humor in their souls. T ...more
Yekaterina
Sep 21, 2012 Yekaterina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-won, 2013
I've never cried so much over a book before! This is such an inspirational and uplifting book. Being a religious person myself, it reminded me to focus on my faith every day because you just never know when your last day is.
The writing is great, no errors that I noticed and reads fluently. The book is not one that grabs your attention right away but if you givebit a chance- you can't put it down. I would suggest reading it at Christmas time just for the effect, but I just read it in May and love
Mkingsford
Oct 16, 2012 Mkingsford rated it it was amazing
This book had me at the clothesline. What a sweet story about an 80 something widow and a young girl. They become best friends. As the book progresses they both get very sick. Walkie-talkies are purchased so they can talk with each other. The importance of the 13th day is: If our lives don't change with the influence of the Savior in it, what have we gained. This is a much read! for anyone who believes in Christmas.
Amber
Oct 12, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
Oh my... this is one of those books that sticks with you long after you turn the last page. I laughed a little and cried a lot. Felt hope and happiness and the true meaning of Christmas. The stories for the 13 days were so creative and lovely... the characters strong enough that my heart ached for them, just as if they were my own family. I loved Jason F. Wright's "The Christmas Jars" - this is another stellar performance by him! You MUST read it!!!
Jary Welker
Nov 11, 2012 Jary Welker rated it it was amazing
A quick read but a powerful message. If you are a Jason Wright fan as I am you will love this story of hope and faith in the most challenging of times. May your 13th Day of Christmas be filled with the determination to wake up a different man or woman because of He who was born in such humble circumstances on the 12th Day of Christmas.
Debra
Nov 20, 2013 Debra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, 2013, book-club
This was a great Christmas story. There was a such a special friendship formed between 9 year old Charlee and 81 year old Marva. The Traveling Elves and the revised edition of the 12 days of Christmas made me laugh. I loved the message of the 13th day at the end of the story.
Nancy
Oct 19, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I absolutley loved this book. It is a good book to see what the real meaning of Christmas is all about. I highly recommend it to everyone. Thank you Jason for another great book. As I told you keep them coming!
Diana Brown
Dec 23, 2016 Diana Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sisters-bookclub
Loved it!!!! Totally recommend it!!! (Possibly keep tissue nearby)
loveyalyn
Oct 22, 2012 loveyalyn rated it it was amazing

Great Christmas read with a "to do" ending like in The Christmas Jar...
Linda
Oct 18, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
I loved this quote from one of the reviews: “This story touched me in so many ways. I shed tears for bad news, for good news & most of all for the Love of God has for us all.”
Valerie
Dec 23, 2012 Valerie rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story, but most especially the challenge at the end to rededicate ourselves to living our lives as the Savior did, with love and service for all.
Carolyn
Nov 18, 2016 Carolyn rated it liked it
It's that time of year when I really enjoy reading Christmas books. There are so many of them, and most are not fantastic, but I like sappy this time of year. This was the most depressing Christmas book I ever read! And the end (and only the end) got religious/preachy. The only reason I did not give this 2 stars is becasue I love the idea at the end of the book where the author is asking that people reach out to others. He even has templates you can use on his website: http://13thdayofchristmas. ...more
Sandra Strange
Dec 04, 2016 Sandra Strange rated it it was ok
Typical sweet Christmas book, but this one stretches credulity. The message is positive, and the story a feel-good. Too saccharine and a tear jerker, too. However, the book has a very clever take on playing elf to give the 12 days of Christmas, each item of the song with a cute twist. It's almost worth reading it for this amusing episode.
Beth Pearson
Dec 25, 2016 Beth Pearson rated it really liked it
Best Christmas story I've read this year. 4-1/2 stars. Marva was marvelous. Charlee was delicious. and Zach, Emily, and Thomas carried the pain of us all. I think this is Jason Wright's best written book thus far.
Kristen Nelson
Dec 02, 2016 Kristen Nelson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books, at-home
Such a wonderful book! Beautiful and simple message about the true reason for the Season. Amazing characters who are easy to fall instantly in love with. Miracles truly happen.
Natalie Widener
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I liked the relationship between Marva and Charlee; an old soul and a young soul! A very enjoyable read!
Nolan
Sep 04, 2014 Nolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you never read another Christmas book as long as you live, if you are so hardened and cynical that a small book that focuses on the grandeur of eternity would cause you to turn away in disgust, you still need to read this book.

Throughout my childhood, and well into my adulthood, December 26th was a kind of let-down day. The gifts were opened; some were broken, and others were returned; still others were cherished for years and even decades. But the day after Christmas was often a quiet day fo
Rhonda
Oct 03, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
The 13th Day of Christmas by Jason F. Wright
5 Stars
Warning don't forget the tissue. This story touched me in so many ways. I shed tears for bad news, for good news & most of all for the Love of God has for us all.
Our family has had the twelve days of christmas given to us. We have had fun giving and trying to runaway without being caught. I wish I had thought about giving the 13th Day then but I will in the future.
Marva Ferguson collects aprons she has over 150 of them. She is a lovely wido
Jana
Jan 02, 2017 Jana rated it liked it
This was a pretty good cheesy Christmas book. I try to read at least one during the holiday season. I'm not a big fan of books that purposely tug at your emotions by killing off one of the main characters, but for some reason, I can be more forgiving of that in a Christmas book. There were some sweet moments, and it was a fair read for the Christmas season.
Erin
Dec 30, 2016 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read one other book by this author and loved it, so I thought I would give this a try. Warning, grab tissues. This is a very easy read. Very tender and emotional. 5 lives are brought together by tragedy, but I would say all 5 people were better because of it. I love these inspirational stories. This wasn't the best knock your socks off novel, but I did like it. It has inspired me to pay attention to others around me more. I hope to give to others in little ways in the future.
Alex
Oct 02, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
The Deal: Marva Ferguson lives at the edge of a trailer park in the house she shared with her husband, there she enjoys collecting aprons (she has over 150 of them) and going about her day. Carlee Alexander just moved to the 27 homes trailer park because her family didn't do well with the turns of the economy and the lost their house.

Carlee is a bit lonely in the trailer park, with her parents always gone working and her older brother Zach always in a bad mood. She tries to makes friends with s
Cathy
Nov 19, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
9 year-old Charlee is getting used to her new reality. Her family no longer has a home of their own, they now live in a trailer in a much smaller town than they lived in before. She has no friends and her older brother Zach just wants to play video games. Then Charlee meets Miss Marva. Miss Marva is a widow living by herself in the only home in the small trailer park where Charlee's family lives. Charlee and Miss Marva become BFF's despite their large age difference. They are almost inseparable. ...more
Coffee Talk: December Book of the Month- Discussions 3 16 Dec 27, 2012 12:02PM
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Wish
  • A Night on Moon Hill
  • The Christmas Journey
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • A Winter Dream
  • The Santa Letters
  • The Christmas Tree
  • A Christmas Hope
  • The Christmas Shoppe
  • Paige (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Paper Angels
  • The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus
  • The Snow Globe
  • In the Dark Streets Shineth: A 1941 Christmas Eve Story
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • Remembering Christmas
Jason Wright is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestselling author.

Jason is a weekly columnist for the Deseret News and Northern Virginia Daily and articles by Jason have appeared in over 50 newspapers and magazines across the United States including The Washington Times, The Chicago Tribune, and Forbes. He is the author of The James Miracle (2004); Christmas Jars (2005); The W
More about Jason F. Wright...

“On December 26, Charlee would share that faith on a piece of paper and deliver it. She would testify that while Christmas was important, the most divine day of the year was the day after. The day to recommit to living a life more like His. The day to proclaim to the world that while His birth brought hope, His life brought the model. The day to believe that He lives, that He loves everyone, and that He wants every porch waver, rock pile climber, cancer patient, and troublemaker to come Home again. The 13th Day of Christmas.” 0 likes