Start by marking “Good King Wenceslas” as Want to Read:
Good King Wenceslas

Good King Wenceslas

Published October 9th 2012 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Good King Wenceslas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good King Wenceslas

Linda
Dec 17, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
I had never paid attention to the words of the Christmas carol "Good King Wenceslas" before. I knew it talked about the king and about the Feast of Stephen but beyond that I had no clue what it was truly about. I was in for a real treat when I discovered that the Good King wishes to teach his page to care about the less fortunate others who live in the woods near the castle. On a very dark and snowy Dec. 26th, the King and his page set out to surprise a poor family with wood for their fire and ...more
Shauna
Oct 07, 2012 Shauna rated it it was amazing
This book is BEAUTIFULLY illustrated!
It explains the Christmas song we sing each year, but until now, at least I, never really understood.
What a beautiful way to teach about the giving of Christmastime and the example of one King to his page.
I also LOVED the side notes explaining "St. Stephen's Day" and what a " Page boy" is;
Along with "life in a castle" and "Christmas celebrations in the middle ages."
The book is wonderful in and of itself,
But there is more!!!
You also get a DVD of Jane Seymour
Brandi
May 27, 2015 Brandi rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book. It would make a great Christmas gift for a young child.
Rhonda
Feb 12, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Good King Wenceslas by Jane Seymour's
4 STARS

I was just given the review on the ebook I recieved,it only had story not the DVD or big enough pictures to see the details.
I bet all of the things included in the hard back book would recieve 5 stars.

I have heard the song, I have even song it. But I never paid attention to the story before.
What a good example the King was to go out and help those poor in need and teach that to other generations to help those who have less. To share by choice because
Ann Roberts
Since "Good King Wenceslas" is one of my most favorite Christmas carols, I happily jumped at the chance to read and review the e-book version of the newly-released short-story and CD combination that incorporates narrative storytelling, quotations from the song, and snippets of medieval history amidst some of the most gorgeous hibernal landscapes I have seen in quite a while. I plan on finding and purchasing the hard copy version of this item because I believe hearing Jane Seymour read the text ...more
Falan Miller
This was a really neat book! It was written in poetic form and has a good rhyme scheme to it. This story is about King Wenceslas. He was a good king who takes care and feeds the poor.

I liked this book because of the rhyme scheme and the pictures that went along with the words. The season chosen for this book was winter and there are some beautifully drawn scenes.

This book could be used to reward your children for being good during the week. I think children will really get a kick out of this bo
Cathy
Jan 03, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
Here's a beautiful Christmas book for you to read to your family year after year at Christmas time. This book follows and also explains the Christmas carol of Good King Wenceslas, which to me has always been one of the most confusing ones. I also had no idea that this carol had more than one verse, the other verses kind of clarify and explain the song more as well. I loved this book, the story was cute, the pictures are beautiful and I loved the explanations of lesser known things like St ...more
Sally
Jan 09, 2014 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
I have always loved the Christmas carol, "Good King Wenceslas", and with this beautifully illustrated book, I love it even more! The story is charmingly told with gorgeous illustrations, but I love the additional explanations of St Stephen's Day, a medieval Christmas celebration, the duties of a page, etc. Thrilled to have the accompanying DVD with Jane Seymour telling the story and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir adding the beloved carol.
Teri
Sep 14, 2013 Teri rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book that tells the story behind "Good King Wenceslas." The illustrations are gorgeous. When I hear this beautiful carol it will be much more meaningful. The book explains what St. Stephen's Day was(it is now Boxing Day) and what a pageboy was in medieval times, etc. I haven't watched the DVD yet, but it comes with a DVD that is narrated by Jane Seymour with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. For those who collect Christmas books this is worth owning!
Tanya W
Dec 17, 2012 Tanya W rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Christmas book that breaks down the song "Good King Wenceslas". The song really didn't mean anything to me before reading this book. It includes interesting historical side notes. We'll definitely read this again.

I also enjoyed learning a little about Jane Seymour that I didn't know.
Richard Sansing
Dec 23, 2013 Richard Sansing rated it really liked it
A very nice way to celebrate Christmas. Includes a DVD with an embellished story of Good King Wenceslas, read by Jane Seymour, while the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings the song itself. Merry Christmas!
Cathy
Nov 23, 2014 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Very well written and illustrated. It also had information that I never knew. And additional info like the history behind the story and song. You can learn much from this little tale. Haven't listened to the CD yet that came along with it.
Lindsay
Dec 28, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Enjoyable tale retelling the story from the song Good King Wenceslas. Love the illustrations and the simple yet beautifully captured message of the song. Will be a Christmas favorite for years to come.
Kelcey Murdoch
Dec 26, 2012 Kelcey Murdoch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-favs
I got this book for Christmas and I love it! The story is told intermittent with the song lyrics. I loved the side note explanations and facts provided such as what Stephan's Day is and medieval traditions.
Rebecca
Nov 30, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, art, holiday
Besides the needed explanation of the holiday carol, this book gives wonderful information on the history of the time. Lovely images.

*I haven't yet listened to the accompanying CD with a reading by Jane Seymour, but will update my review once done.
Bekka
Dec 25, 2012 Bekka rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars - cute retelling of the King Wenceslas story. The explanation in the back is a little thin and should have been more fleshed out. The illustrations are nice, and the DVD with Jane Seymour is very fun!
Lori
Dec 21, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story that reminds us to share with all of those less fortunate at this Christmas season.
Elijah Libert
Nov 25, 2015 Elijah Libert rated it really liked it
I liked this book because the King is not greedy, he actually goes out in the cold weather to help the poor people and give them things.
Joe
Dec 29, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations to compliment this often overlooked Christmas tale. I love the sidebars full of historical information.
Jane
I am a bit biased on this one because I saw Jane Seymour narrate it live. It was life-changing indeed. The story is uplifting for Christmas or any time of year.
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
John Mayhew
John Mayhew rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Aimie
Aimie rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2014
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Nancy (NE)
Nancy (NE) rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Lisa A.
Lisa A. rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2014
Renee Lord
Renee Lord rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014