Start by marking “The Power of Starting Something Stupid: How to Crush Fear, Make Dreams Happen, and Live without Regret” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  62 reviews
What if the smartest people in the world understand something that the rest of us don’t? (They do.) What if they know that in order to achieve success, they will sometimes have to do things that others may initially perceive as stupid? The fact of the matter is that the smartest people in the world don’t run from stupid, they lean into it (in a smart way).

In The Power of S
Published March 5th 2013 by Shadow Mountain (first published October 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Starting Something Stupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Starting Something Stupid

Scott
This is my third time through this book. It's very motivating and encouraging. I met Richie in college where he was the Student Body President. He is the real deal. He is funny, down to earth, humble, fun, creative, and super smart. Seriously. I've known him for 10 years now and he is still the same super-positive guy I've ever known. I've eaten at his kitchen table, played with his kids, and been amazed at his wife's photography skills. So this book is just the embodiment of Richie - his voice ...more
Lara
When I first agreed to review The Power of Starting Something Stupid by Richie Norton, I didn't really think it would apply to me. My limited understanding of the content was that it would be about taking risk and starting something, like a business. I, personally, do not dream of starting a business, nor do I have any great ideas for an invention. I am not an entrepreneur, nor do I have any aspirations to become one.

But, after having read this book, I can tell you that I WAS WRONG.

This book was
Lynn
Meh. I bought this book on a whim at the recommendation of someone. While there are some good ideas in it and a lot of motivational writing, most of it is re-hashes from other books or sourced from from a third party and not someone the author interviewed directly. That kind of thing rubs me the wrong way, I feel like the author didn't work hard enough and just pillaged the best ideas of other people and turned them into a book.
Greg Link
The Power of Starting Something Stupid will light a much needed fire in young and old alike. Few books come along with this much gravitas and relevance. From corporate leaders and innovators to new job seekers, everyone will resonate with this compelling message. I have read most of the bestselling business books for the last 30 years and this stands tall as one of the best.
Jesse Stay
Looking for some inspiration to get off your rear and go out on your own? Some call it "crazy" or "stupid". This book shows you why stupid is the new smart. It's the perfect pep-talk for any aspiring entrepreneur. Go pre-order it now!
Andy Beal
From the very first chapter, The Power of Starting Something Stupid opens your mind to the possibility that you're not living up to your full potential. Richie Norton's powerful words provide the motivation and energy you'll need to start something stupid. Something amazingly, courageously, stupid!
Wendy
Excellent, quick, must-read! If you have ANY ideas in your head that you haven't taken action on, you MUST read this book! Now is the time to START!
Amie
If you have a dream, a brewing passion, you must read this book! If it doesn't inspire you to action, nothing will!!
Thank you Richie Norton!
Carynpayzant
I wrote my review on my blog, the Mid Life Guru: http://www.themidlifeguru.com/book-re...
Zach Wear
The minute I finished I wanted to start over again. Loads of information that you can apply to business but mostly life.
Susan Kuz
A good read. Along the lines of many other books I've read with a focus on the power of just starting. I like that this book breaks down the myth of needing to know where it's all going and just starting something for the sake of starting and seeing where it leads. If you have a good idea (at least in your mind) but keep hesitating on moving forward with it this book is a definite read and I hope many secretly brilliant minds out there read it and decide to start something stupid. I'm sure some ...more
Mandy
Inspired motivated and ready to do Stupid:)
Josh Solar
This book will change your life.
Title: THE POWER OF STARTING SOMETHING STUPID
Author: Richie Norton
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
March 2013
ISBN: 978-1609070090
Genre: Self-help

What if the smartest people in the world understand something that the rest of us don't? (They do.) What if they know that in order to achieve success, they will sometimes have to do things that others may initially perceive as stupid?

The fact of the matter is that the smartest people in the world don't run from stupid, they lean into it (in a smart way). In T
Shanda
How’s that for a catchy title? It certainly grabbed my attention. I wasn’t sure what to expect but was intrigued enough to agree to participate in the blog tour.

I am so glad I did.

The Power of Starting Something Stupid opens with an intensely personal, life-changing moment for the authors. Heartbreaking events led to a pivotal question and the making of Gavin’s Law: Live to start. Start to live.

The author writes in a clear, conversational style that had me sailing through the book in just a few
Stephen Weathers
First of all, I feel a bit bad writing this review. I wanted to like this book, I really did... but I just couldn't. It took dozens of attempts to get through it and I only managed because I had resolved to finish it. Maybe it's because I'm not an entrepreneur who has a dream life on the shelf but is too fearful to grab it - this book would probably be good for that person.

There are two main reasons why:

1) The author has read, and references, a lot of the great books on personal and professional
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
Hmmm...I actually really liked this book! It's all about believing in your dreams even when other forces are telling you that they are stupid! There is a power behind stupid ideas because sometimes they are the ideas we believe the most in. I liked the examples Richie Norton used. He quotes
"First he told me it was a stupid idea...and then he agreed to come on board." -Pierre Omidyar, Founder of eBay
"A lot of people thought it sounded stupid...Even some of our engineers weren't interested." -Biz
EJ
When I was in high school I had a bucket list of places I wanted to go, things I wanted to see and projects I wanted to conquer.
When I shared my list it raised eyebrows...and not in the "I am so impressed.." sort of way but in that "WOW she's nuts and unrealistic."
I threw my list away.
I spent my 20s searching for that "practical" thing that I could be passionate about and pursue as a career. I was miserable and put school off for several years because nothing practical kept my attention.
Two ye
Jerry Nje
Dream is always on everyone mind, but to start to create the dream into reality it whole different story.

we often over analyze it our dream and create a huge fear whether this dream is a good idea or stupid.

this book had shown me, a few of success story of people that think that theirs idea was stupid at first.

By reading this book definitely I would start to building one my own. because my dream maybe stupid but it mine
Kim
It took me a while to get through this book since I read a few novels in the meantime, but I was happy I finished it. Norton offers practical advice and encouragement on how to start living your dreams and have the life you really want. I greatly appreciated the chapter on overcoming procrastination since that is a bad habit of mine. After reading, I was inspired and motivated to improve and achieve more of my goals.
Meredith Stranges
I tweeted a few tidbits from this book as I read it. I like the START principle, where the recommendation is to approach all dealings from a place of abundance, gratitude and honesty. Thankfulness and "receiving" are not often addressed directly. It is possible to realize dreams with comparatively few resources, and it's true that "if everyone swept his own front step, the city would soon be clean."
Fabrizio Poli
Richie Norton has put together a clever system in this book that proves how many brilliant ideas in business and history were actually classified as "stupid" to start with. the reality is that you have to think different to mainstream in order to build something innovative..
He quotes an IBM study where 1500 CEOs were interviewed from 60 different nations and 33 different industries. They all said creativity is the most important leadership quality for future success in times of complexity and mo
Shauna
I was immediately intrigued with the title~ The Power of Starting Something Stupid. Power and Stupid in the same title...I had to read this book!

Then the subtitle caught my attention~ How to crush fear, make dreams happen and live without regret. Now I REALLY had to read this book!

We all know people who started something that everyone said just couldn't be done...and they succeeded...think the telephone, the car, radio, Walt Disney, Apple, Twitter, Amazon, etc.

But do we realize that ALL of us ha
Mumzie
Quick, easy read. Had some anecdotes I had never heard before. Well organized and helpful system to follow for achieving a more satisfying life. Being of the older generation, it helps me understand business choices being made by the present generation. And truly, these new ideas 'seem' stupid until they are proven otherwise. I am getting less skeptical and judgmental when they are presented now.
Juan Castro
Good advice on the process of starting your project, keep it going and pushing it into becoming a real thing. Basically a how to conquer fear that comes with being an entrepreneur and leverage your attitude to start and succeed kind of book. A good buy.
Keoki
I've read many books about taking life on instead of just letting it happen and most seem to me to be just rehashes of the same tired formulas. Richie Norton provides new insights in his "The Power of Starting Something Stupid" with specific suggestions on how to eliminate fear, make things happen, and live without regret. I now find myself going back often and opening the book to a page, just to read it like a 'thought for the day'. As I do so, new ideas on how to change for the better come to ...more
Andrea Samadi
I am so thankful that Greg Link referred this book to me! I became energized, inspired and motivated to keep going with my upcoming product launch while reading this book. All entrepreneurs wonder, "Is this a good idea?" Or "What am I doing" at various points of their pursuit to launch their idea. I read example and example of others who felt exactly like me, but blasted through to find incredible results with the services their idea, no matter how "stupid" would yield the world. I look forward ...more
Cathleen
Quick, motivating read. The lessons can be applied to starting any project, career or business. I am trying to apply the Serve, Thank, Ask, Receive and Trust model in my life.
Monica
This is truly an amazing book! It is very well written and is so inspirational. Mr. Norton's writing style is easy to read and it just pulled me in. He made me feel like my "stupid" little ideas could change the world. He gives examples of his own, and he gives examples of others that have taken ideas and turned them into reality. I especially enjoyed the chapters on authenticity and service. I highly recommend this book for anyone who has a dream or an idea....pretty much everyone. You may read ...more
Helen Mcpherson
Quick, easy, actionable, and inspirational. This is one to keep on the bookshelf and dig into anytime you're stuck.
Goodreads Librari...: Advanced Reader Copies 4 69 Apr 23, 2013 03:46PM
  • The Book of Qualities
  • Keeping Up with the Quants: Your Guide to Understanding and Using Analytics
  • Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy: A Woman's Guide to a Better Life
  • Living Your Covenants Every Day
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life. Your Future Depends on It.
  • Get Big Fast and Do More Good: Start Your Business, Make It Huge, and Change the World
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • Exiled: The Story of John Lathrop
  • Stop Stealing Dreams
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love
  • The Word of Wisdom: Discovering the LDS Code of Health
  • How To Deliver A TED Talk: Secrets Of The World's Most Inspiring Presentations
  • Worth Every Penny: How to Charge What You're Worth When Everyone Else is Discounting
  • Women and the Priesthood: What One Mormon Woman Believes
  • Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
  • Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries
RICHARD (Richie) NORTON BIO INFO

Richie Norton is the bestselling author of The Power of Starting Something Stupid and Résumés Are Dead and What to Do About It. He is an international speaker and consultant for the corporate growth and personal development industries, a social entrepreneur, and CEO and Founder of Global Consulting Circle.

Richie has been featured in Forbes, Businessweek, Young Entr
More about Richie Norton...
Résumés Are Dead and What to Do About It

“Gavin's Law: Live to start. Start to live.” 33 likes
“Your life should consist of more than commuting, working, eating, surfing the Internet, sleeping and watching TV. Your life should be filled with purpose-driven experiences and projects that bring excitement, passion, energy, and authentic meaning and joy into your life.” 14 likes