Start by marking “The Power of Starting Something Stupid: How to Crush Fear, Make Dreams Happen, and Live without Regret” as Want to Read:

What if the smartest people in the world understand something that the rest of us don’t? (They do.) What if they know that in order to achieve success, they will sometimes have to do things that others may initially perceive as stupid? The fact of the matter is that the smartest people in the world don’t run from stupid, they lean into it (in a smart way).

In The Power of S
Published March 5th 2013 by Shadow Mountain (first published October 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Starting Something Stupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Starting Something Stupid

Scott
Mar 06, 2013 Scott rated it it was amazing
This is my third time through this book. It's very motivating and encouraging. I met Richie in college where he was the Student Body President. He is the real deal. He is funny, down to earth, humble, fun, creative, and super smart. Seriously. I've known him for 10 years now and he is still the same super-positive guy I've ever known. I've eaten at his kitchen table, played with his kids, and been amazed at his wife's photography skills. So this book is just the embodiment of Richie - his voice ...more
Lara
Mar 02, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it
When I first agreed to review The Power of Starting Something Stupid by Richie Norton, I didn't really think it would apply to me. My limited understanding of the content was that it would be about taking risk and starting something, like a business. I, personally, do not dream of starting a business, nor do I have any great ideas for an invention. I am not an entrepreneur, nor do I have any aspirations to become one.

But, after having read this book, I can tell you that I WAS WRONG.

This book was
Lynn
May 01, 2013 Lynn rated it liked it
Meh. I bought this book on a whim at the recommendation of someone. While there are some good ideas in it and a lot of motivational writing, most of it is re-hashes from other books or sourced from from a third party and not someone the author interviewed directly. That kind of thing rubs me the wrong way, I feel like the author didn't work hard enough and just pillaged the best ideas of other people and turned them into a book.
Greg Link
Mar 01, 2013 Greg Link rated it it was amazing
The Power of Starting Something Stupid will light a much needed fire in young and old alike. Few books come along with this much gravitas and relevance. From corporate leaders and innovators to new job seekers, everyone will resonate with this compelling message. I have read most of the bestselling business books for the last 30 years and this stands tall as one of the best.
Jesse Stay
Feb 04, 2013 Jesse Stay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneurship
Looking for some inspiration to get off your rear and go out on your own? Some call it "crazy" or "stupid". This book shows you why stupid is the new smart. It's the perfect pep-talk for any aspiring entrepreneur. Go pre-order it now!
Jim
Jul 29, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book really hit a chord. Normally I don't like self-help style books. All they are empty calories of ego and energy boost rather than real knowledge. This is somewhat the same. Doesn't really tell you how to do anything. Rather it's very good at telling you to do anything. Just anything. Live to start so you can start to live.
Rickey
I saw this at Costco. It was probably stupid to stop and look at it. Surprised at the passionate recommendations it had from Seth Godin, Stephen M.R. Covey, Michael Gerber and other respectable authors, I looked a bit more into it. I think I'll check the library first to read a bit more before I buy it. I'm not that stupid.
Andy Beal
Jan 20, 2014 Andy Beal rated it it was amazing
From the very first chapter, The Power of Starting Something Stupid opens your mind to the possibility that you're not living up to your full potential. Richie Norton's powerful words provide the motivation and energy you'll need to start something stupid. Something amazingly, courageously, stupid!
Wendy
Mar 26, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, energy
Excellent, quick, must-read! If you have ANY ideas in your head that you haven't taken action on, you MUST read this book! Now is the time to START!
Amie
Feb 24, 2013 Amie rated it it was amazing
If you have a dream, a brewing passion, you must read this book! If it doesn't inspire you to action, nothing will!!
Thank you Richie Norton!
Carynpayzant
Feb 26, 2015 Carynpayzant rated it really liked it
I wrote my review on my blog, the Mid Life Guru: http://www.themidlifeguru.com/book-re...
Zach Wear
Apr 24, 2013 Zach Wear rated it it was amazing
The minute I finished I wanted to start over again. Loads of information that you can apply to business but mostly life.
Susan Kuz
Nov 24, 2014 Susan Kuz rated it really liked it
A good read. Along the lines of many other books I've read with a focus on the power of just starting. I like that this book breaks down the myth of needing to know where it's all going and just starting something for the sake of starting and seeing where it leads. If you have a good idea (at least in your mind) but keep hesitating on moving forward with it this book is a definite read and I hope many secretly brilliant minds out there read it and decide to start something stupid. I'm sure some ...more
Mandy
Nov 10, 2013 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Inspired motivated and ready to do Stupid:)
Josh Solar
Nov 12, 2013 Josh Solar rated it it was amazing
This book will change your life.
Feb 25, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Title: THE POWER OF STARTING SOMETHING STUPID
Author: Richie Norton
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
March 2013
ISBN: 978-1609070090
Genre: Self-help

What if the smartest people in the world understand something that the rest of us don't? (They do.) What if they know that in order to achieve success, they will sometimes have to do things that others may initially perceive as stupid?

The fact of the matter is that the smartest people in the world don't run from stupid, they lean into it (in a smart way). In T
Shanda
Mar 05, 2013 Shanda rated it it was amazing
How’s that for a catchy title? It certainly grabbed my attention. I wasn’t sure what to expect but was intrigued enough to agree to participate in the blog tour.

I am so glad I did.

The Power of Starting Something Stupid opens with an intensely personal, life-changing moment for the authors. Heartbreaking events led to a pivotal question and the making of Gavin’s Law: Live to start. Start to live.

The author writes in a clear, conversational style that had me sailing through the book in just a few
Stephen
Jul 14, 2013 Stephen rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible
First of all, I feel a bit bad writing this review. I wanted to like this book, I really did... but I just couldn't. It took dozens of attempts to get through it and I only managed because I had resolved to finish it. Maybe it's because I'm not an entrepreneur who has a dream life on the shelf but is too fearful to grab it - this book would probably be good for that person.

There are two main reasons why:

1) The author has read, and references, a lot of the great books on personal and professional
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Mar 01, 2013 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Hmmm...I actually really liked this book! It's all about believing in your dreams even when other forces are telling you that they are stupid! There is a power behind stupid ideas because sometimes they are the ideas we believe the most in. I liked the examples Richie Norton used. He quotes
"First he told me it was a stupid idea...and then he agreed to come on board." -Pierre Omidyar, Founder of eBay
"A lot of people thought it sounded stupid...Even some of our engineers weren't interested." -Biz
EJ
Apr 29, 2013 EJ rated it it was amazing
When I was in high school I had a bucket list of places I wanted to go, things I wanted to see and projects I wanted to conquer.
When I shared my list it raised eyebrows...and not in the "I am so impressed.." sort of way but in that "WOW she's nuts and unrealistic."
I threw my list away.
I spent my 20s searching for that "practical" thing that I could be passionate about and pursue as a career. I was miserable and put school off for several years because nothing practical kept my attention.
Two ye
Jerry Nje
May 24, 2014 Jerry Nje rated it liked it
Dream is always on everyone mind, but to start to create the dream into reality it whole different story.

we often over analyze it our dream and create a huge fear whether this dream is a good idea or stupid.

this book had shown me, a few of success story of people that think that theirs idea was stupid at first.

By reading this book definitely I would start to building one my own. because my dream maybe stupid but it mine
Kim
Feb 23, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get through this book since I read a few novels in the meantime, but I was happy I finished it. Norton offers practical advice and encouragement on how to start living your dreams and have the life you really want. I greatly appreciated the chapter on overcoming procrastination since that is a bad habit of mine. After reading, I was inspired and motivated to improve and achieve more of my goals.
Meredith Stranges
Jul 22, 2014 Meredith Stranges rated it liked it
I tweeted a few tidbits from this book as I read it. I like the START principle, where the recommendation is to approach all dealings from a place of abundance, gratitude and honesty. Thankfulness and "receiving" are not often addressed directly. It is possible to realize dreams with comparatively few resources, and it's true that "if everyone swept his own front step, the city would soon be clean."
Fabrizio Poli
Mar 16, 2013 Fabrizio Poli rated it it was amazing
Richie Norton has put together a clever system in this book that proves how many brilliant ideas in business and history were actually classified as "stupid" to start with. the reality is that you have to think different to mainstream in order to build something innovative..
He quotes an IBM study where 1500 CEOs were interviewed from 60 different nations and 33 different industries. They all said creativity is the most important leadership quality for future success in times of complexity and mo
Shauna
Mar 15, 2013 Shauna rated it it was amazing
I was immediately intrigued with the title~ The Power of Starting Something Stupid. Power and Stupid in the same title...I had to read this book!

Then the subtitle caught my attention~ How to crush fear, make dreams happen and live without regret. Now I REALLY had to read this book!

We all know people who started something that everyone said just couldn't be done...and they succeeded...think the telephone, the car, radio, Walt Disney, Apple, Twitter, Amazon, etc.

But do we realize that ALL of us ha
Mumzie
Feb 28, 2014 Mumzie rated it it was amazing
Quick, easy read. Had some anecdotes I had never heard before. Well organized and helpful system to follow for achieving a more satisfying life. Being of the older generation, it helps me understand business choices being made by the present generation. And truly, these new ideas 'seem' stupid until they are proven otherwise. I am getting less skeptical and judgmental when they are presented now.
Jyothi
Sep 14, 2016 Jyothi rated it it was amazing
Very well written, precise and very motivating. author has maintained a very simple and clear way of expression....all in all must read for all the budding entrepreneurs or people planning to start something on their own.
Michael
Jun 01, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
Great examples of products/companies/entrepreneurs that pursued their dreams despite the obstacles, and also shows how to overcome the obstacles that may stand in your way of pursuing your dreams/ideas. Highly recommend.
Keoki
Jan 16, 2015 Keoki rated it it was amazing
I've read many books about taking life on instead of just letting it happen and most seem to me to be just rehashes of the same tired formulas. Richie Norton provides new insights in his "The Power of Starting Something Stupid" with specific suggestions on how to eliminate fear, make things happen, and live without regret. I now find myself going back often and opening the book to a page, just to read it like a 'thought for the day'. As I do so, new ideas on how to change for the better come to ...more
Andrea Samadi
Dec 15, 2013 Andrea Samadi rated it it was amazing
I am so thankful that Greg Link referred this book to me! I became energized, inspired and motivated to keep going with my upcoming product launch while reading this book. All entrepreneurs wonder, "Is this a good idea?" Or "What am I doing" at various points of their pursuit to launch their idea. I read example and example of others who felt exactly like me, but blasted through to find incredible results with the services their idea, no matter how "stupid" would yield the world. I look forward ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Advanced Reader Copies 4 71 Apr 24, 2013 01:46AM
  • The Book of Qualities
  • Living Your Covenants Every Day
  • The Worth of a Soul
  • Keeping Up with the Quants: Your Guide to Understanding and Using Analytics
  • Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy: A Woman's Guide to a Better Life
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • Double Double: How to Double Your Revenue & Profit in 3 Years or Less
  • Shortcut: How Analogies Reveal Connections, Spark Innovation, and Sell Our Greatest Ideas
  • Walking on Water and Other Classic Messages
  • Choose Higher Ground
  • Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love
  • Get Big Fast and Do More Good: Start Your Business, Make It Huge, and Change the World
  • Helplessness: On Depression, Development, and Death
  • Exiled: The Story of John Lathrop
  • Marketing Lessons from the Grateful Dead: What Every Business Can Learn from the Most Iconic Band in History
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business with a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • Life Entrepreneurs: Ordinary People Creating Extraordinary Lives
  • Earth: In the Beginning
RICHARD (Richie) NORTON BIO INFO

Richie Norton is the bestselling author of The Power of Starting Something Stupid and Résumés Are Dead and What to Do About It. He is an international speaker and consultant for the corporate growth and personal development industries, a social entrepreneur, and CEO and Founder of Global Consulting Circle.

Richie has been featured in Forbes, Businessweek, Young Entr
More about Richie Norton...

“Gavin's Law: Live to start. Start to live.” 38 likes
“Opportunities will come and go, but if you do nothing about them, so will you.” 30 likes