Start by marking “The Deepest Acceptance: Radical Awakening in Ordinary Life” as Want to Read:
The Deepest Acceptance: Radical Awakening in Ordinary Life

The Deepest Acceptance: Radical Awakening in Ordinary Life

How can we bring an effortless yes to this moment? How do we stop running from the mess of life our predicaments, our frustrations, even our search for liberation and start flowing with all of it?

In small venues throughout the UK and Europe, a young teacher named Jeff Foster is quietly awakening a new generation of spiritual inquirers to the experience of abiding presence
Published November 1st 2012 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about The Deepest Acceptance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deepest Acceptance

Paul
Aug 19, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
Even though I've given this book 5 stars, I'd like to start with the book's drawbacks. First, if you've already read plenty of books on oneness, non-duality, dharma, or whatever you want to call this genre, be prepared to cover a lot of familiar ground. This is to be expected, of course, as all such writings ultimately point to the same truths. Besides re-hashing some well-worn themes, this book also contains a LOT of repetition of its central metaphor - the inseparability of waves from the ...more
John
Dec 14, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
If I could rate this any higher I would. This is Eckhart Tolle 2.0. If you still seem to encounter suffering even though you've read other spiritual texts, this book explains why.

Usually we would seek to avoid negative emotions and maximize positive ones through various methods. This is where suffering begins: non-acceptance of all that appears in your reality. If we give the same amount of space to negative emotions that we give to positive ones to play themselves out, this is where life becom
Cyberpayanee
Dec 14, 2013 Cyberpayanee rated it it was amazing
Very sincerely and with urgency, he drives a central point home, which you might say is the basic teaching of non duality. But that is all just memory. The intensity of speaker puts thought and its sensation aside for a while. So you are free to just listen as if for the first time. That is the key point here. Heard his audio interview with Tami Simon (sounds true) - what a passion! Simplicity! The stone drops in the pond quietly. The understanding you are left with is : "just do absolutely ...more
Johnny Martin
Feb 08, 2014 Johnny Martin rated it liked it
Seems like a fairly straightforward concept but feels difficult to actually implement. Essentially, we are each open spaces in which waves of the cosmic ocean can appear and disappear. All thoughts, feelings, experiences, etc., are just waves, some appear briefly, others are larger and last for a while but ultimately all return to the ocean of life. The trick is not to attach to any one particular wave, whether pleasurable, painful, thrilling or disturbing or whatever else. The idea is to allow ...more
Lisa
Dec 14, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I immediately connected with the wisdom and simplicity found in the basic premise of Jeff Foster’s teaching, summed up as: “a deep and fearless acceptance of whatever comes your way”. He sees seeking what is pleasant (love and acceptance) and escaping what is unpleasant, as leading to suffering. Rather than allowing all thoughts and feelings to come and go.
Going into great detail with pain and illness, love and relationships, addictions, and exploring present -moment awareness, Jeff shows how th
Tim Daily
Jun 01, 2014 Tim Daily rated it it was amazing
Jeff Foster says I have already attained enlightenment. Therefore I give this book five stars.
Rosalind
Dec 14, 2013 Rosalind rated it it was amazing
I am listening to this book in my Audio.com Library and I have to say I'm incredibly connected with his wisdom and simplicity. I have discovered in Jeff's teaching, “a fearless acceptance (no choice to avoid) whatever circumstances come into your life” to be a basic truth...a fundamental base-line. His truth is that non-acceptance is the cause of our suffering. It feels to me as thou we must stop running from our pain and the chaos that we co-create in our lives and accept it...experience it... ...more
Kevin
Feb 13, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it
while i did like this work and thought that he had some extremely valuable insights, it was repetitive and as someone who has read his fair share of buddhist books, perhaps it was an unnecessary read.
Stefan
Dec 09, 2015 Stefan rated it it was ok
How is it possible to spend so long saying so little?

He basically says the following quote in a thousand different ways - "Just as the ocean accepts every wave, so too has our awareness already allowed and accepted what is here." I agree it's a good quote but the book doesn't seem to expand beyond the quote in any meaningful way.

I've found Tara Brach and Pema Chodron to be much better at articulating practical ways to develop acceptance.

Or I could be totally wrong and the book might be the writi
Nely
Jun 04, 2016 Nely rated it it was amazing
Jeff blew away my images of enlightenment. Truth is beyond words and concepts; however, if words can ever touch that truth, this comes as close to it as possible. He unravels pain, and addiction to the play of sound and light they are. Even the word, "ego," is a concept with no real solidity. Insights are pouring in. It may not be for everyone though. I suggest, tuning in with your whole body as you read/listen to this book.
Matthew Felten
Jun 27, 2016 Matthew Felten rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
This book was a good read, mainly focusing on allowing each "wave", or thought to be a part of the "ocean", or yourself by realizing that it is already accepted by life. He also talks about how we have stories about ourself that cause us much suffering.

I didn't trust this information as much as I did Eckhart Tolle's (which I considered to be a new age gospel) because it seems like some of his fundamental "truths" contradicted with Tolle's. Still a must read though.
Gwendolyn Plano
Sep 19, 2014 Gwendolyn Plano rated it it was amazing
The Deepest Acceptance reminds us of what we already know--if we can be silent for a moment, if we can set aside our distractions, if we can trust in the universe/God. And the reminder is haunting at times...so much so that it becomes a challenge to reexamine how we live our lives. The book brought me back to a process I've entitled, Letting Go Into Perfect Love. We know the path....we simply get sidestepped at times.
Sheryl Valentine
I really like Jeff Foster. Often when I read a great post or poem on FaceBook it has been written by him. I read a lot of spiritual books, and there is something about Jeff that comes across as so sincere, and he's a cutie too. haha!
Iciar Piera
Jun 27, 2014 Iciar Piera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: espiritualidad
Uno de los libros que mas he disfrutado en mucho tiempo. Belleza, sencillez y honestidad. Una invitacion a la aceptación profunda.
Martin Gommel
Aug 25, 2014 Martin Gommel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on this topic. I goes a bit further that the mindful self-compassion idea. Will read a lot of Fosters stuff.
Relyn Manginsay Montebon
Relyn Manginsay Montebon rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2013
Chaya Rosen
Chaya Rosen rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
asli
asli rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Brian O'Connor
Brian O'Connor rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Eileen Chambers
Eileen Chambers rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Radek
Radek rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Benjamin Hammond
Benjamin Hammond rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Nicola  Wright
Nicola Wright rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Nichole
Nichole rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Kim Dejbjerg
Kim Dejbjerg rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Lucy Taylor
Lucy Taylor rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Joan Doyle
Joan Doyle rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Curt
Curt rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Frank Gerryts
Frank Gerryts rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
  • The Transparency of Things: Contemplating the Nature of Experience
  • Falling Into Grace: Insights on the End of Suffering
  • Living from the Heart
  • Silence of the Heart: Dialogues with Robert Adams
  • Touching History: The Untold Story of the Drama that Unfolded in the Skies Over America on 9/11
  • Our Political Nature: The Evolutionary Origins of What Divides Us
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
  • The Translucent Revolution: How People Just Like You Are Waking Up and Changing the World
  • Graceful Exits: How Great Beings Die
  • The Fall: The Evidence for a Golden Age, 6,000 Years of Insanity, and the Dawning of a New Era
  • The Book of Love and Creation: A Channeled Text
  • The Presence Process: A Healing Journey Into Present Moment Awareness
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Elements of the Real in Man (Diamond Heart, #1)
  • Enlightenment Ain't What It's Cracked Up to Be: A Journey of Discovery, Snow and Jazz in the Soul
  • What about Love?: Reminders for Being Loving
  • The Art of Intuition: Cultivating Your Inner Wisdom
Jeff Foster graduated in Astrophysics from Cambridge University in 2001. Several years after graduation, following a period of severe depression and illness, he became addicted to the idea of "spiritual enlightenment", and embarked on an intensive spiritual search which lasted for several years.

The spiritual search came to an absolute end with the clear seeing that there is only ever Oneness. In t

More about Jeff Foster...

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. MARCEL PROUST” 6 likes
“Admit is a beautiful word—it means both “tell the truth” and “allow in.” To admit present experience—to tell the truth about what is actually present—is to recognize that what’s present has already been admitted into life. The waves appearing at present have already been admitted into the ocean, and admitting that they exist is at the absolute core of this teaching. Waking up is all about admitting who you really are!” 3 likes